This chapter starts with Kaikeyi's entreaties to the king followed by Dasaratha disowning her as wife. The night passes and Sumantra comes to wake up the King. Ordered by Kaikeyi to bring Sri Rama to the king, he goes to Sri Rama to fetch Him.
पुत्र शोक अर्दितम् पापा विसम्ज्ञम् पतितम् भुवि |
विवेष्टमानम् उदीक्ष्य सा ऐक्ष्वाकम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-१४-१
1. saa paapaa = that wicked woman; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; ikshhvaakam = to Dasaratha who was born in Ikshvaaku dynasty; putrashokaarditam = tormented by the anguish for his son; patitam = who was fallen; visajJNam = unconscious; viveshhTamaana m = tossing about; bhuvi = on the floor.
That wicked woman spoke these words to Dasaratha, tormented as he was by the anguish for his son and who was unconscious, tossing about on the floor.
पापम् क्ऱ्त्वा इव किम् इदम् मम संश्रुत्य संश्रवम् |
शेषे क्षिति तले सन्नः स्थित्याम् स्थातुम् त्वम् अर्हसि || २-१४-२
2. kim = what is; idam = this ? samshrutya = after hearing; mama = my; samshravam = promise; sheshhe = you are lying; kshhititale = on the floor; sannaH = with grief; paapam kR^itva ivaa = as; though you had perpetrated a sithtyaam = you; arhasi = ought to; sthaatum = keep; sthityaam = within bounds of morality.
"What is this? After hearing the promise given to me, you are lying on the floor dejected as though you had committed a great sin. You ought to keep yourself within bounds of ethics".
आहुः सत्यम् हि परमम् धर्मम् धर्मविदो जनाः |
सत्यम् आश्रित्य हि मया त्वम् च धर्मम् प्रचोदितः ||२-१४-३
3. janaaH = People; dharma vidaH = who know what is right; aahuH hi = indeed speak; satyam = of truthfulness; paramam dharmam = as highest virtue; tvam = you; prabodhitaH = are made aware of; dharmam = (your)duty; mayaacha = by me; aashritya = who has taken refuge; satyam = in truth.
"People who know what is right, indeed speak of truthfulness as highest virtue. I too have taken refuge in truth and made you aware of your duty."
संश्रुत्य शैब्यः श्येनाय स्वाम् तनुम् जगती पतिः |
प्रदाय पक्षिणो राजन् जगाम गतिम् उत्तमाम् || २-१४-४
4. raajaa = Oh; king! samshrutya = having promised; svaam = his own; tanum = body; shyenaaya pakshhiNe = to a bird called hawk; shaibyaH = Saibya; jagatiipatiH = the lord of the world; jagaama = obtained; uttamaam = the highest; gatim = destiny.
"Oh, king! Having made a promise to a hawk and offering his body to the bird , king Saibya, the ruler of world obtained the greatest destiny".
तथ हि अलर्कः तेजस्वी ब्राह्मणे वेद पारगे |
याचमाने स्वके नेत्रेउद्ध्ऱ्त्य अविमना ददौ || २-१४-५
5. tathaa = In that manne; alarkaH = alarka; tejasvii = the glorious man; uddhR^itya = plucking; svake = his own; netre = eyes; dadau hi = indeed gave; avimanaaH = remorselessly; braahmaNe = to the brahmana; veda paarage = skilled in the veda; yaachamaane = when asked for them.
"In that manner, Alarka the glorious man plucking his own eyes, indeed gave remorselessly, to a brahmana skilled in the Veda, When asked for them."
सरिताम् तु पतिः स्वल्पाम् मर्यादाम् सत्यम् अन्वितः |
सत्य अनुरोधात् समये वेलाम् खाम् न अतिवर्तते || २-१४-६
6. satyam anvitaH = Following truthfulness ; saritaam patiH tu = ocean; the lord of rivers; samaye = at the time of flow-tide; naativartate = does not transgress; svaam = its; velaam = limit; maryaadaam = the boundary; svalpaam = (even)to a small extent; satyaanurodhaat = because of compliance to truth.
"Following ruthfulness, ocean the lord of rivers even at the time of flow-tide, does not transgress even to a small extent its boundary because of its compliance to truth."
स्त्यमेकपदं ब्रह्मे सत्ये धर्मः प्रतिष्ठतः|
सत्यमेवाक्षया वेदाः सत्येनै वाप्यते परम् || २-१४-७
7. satyam = Truth; ekapadam = in the word; brahma = (is)Brahma; satye = on truth; dharmaH = is righteousness; pratishhTitaH = eshtablished; satyameva = truth indeed; vedaaH = is knowledge; akshhayaaH = which is imperishable; satyaineva = by truth alone; param = the supreme being; aapyate = is obtained.
"Truth is one word and is Brahma. On truth is righteousness established. Truth indeed is the knowledge imperishable. By truth alone, the supreme being is obtained".
सत्यं समनुवर्त्स्व यदि धर्मे धृता मतिः |
सफलः स वरो मेऽस्तु वरदो ह्यसि सत्तम || २-१४-८
8. sattama = Oh the best of men! matiH dhR^itaayadi = if your mind is fixed; dharme = on piety; samanuvartasva = comfirm to; satyam = truth; astu = let; me = my; varaH = boon; saphalaH = bear fruit; asiH = you are indeed; varadaH = bestower of boons!.
"O the best among men! firmly adhere to truth, if your mind is fixed on piety. Since you are a bestower of boons, let my aforesaid prayer be granted.
धर्मस्येहाभिकामार्थं मम चैवाचिचोदनात् |
प्रव्राजय सुतं रामम् त्रिः खलु त्वां ब्रवीम्यहम् || २-१४-९
9. iha = In the matter; abhikaamartham = for yearning; dharmasya = of righteousness; abhichodanaachcha = due to instigation; mama = of mine; pravraajaya = send to exile; raamam = Rama; sutam = the son; aham = I; prabraviimi = am telling; tvaam = to you; triH = three times.
"In the matter, yearning righteousness and to concede to my request, send Rama the son to exile. I am telling to you three times".
समयम् च मम आर्य इमम् यदि त्वम् न करिष्यसि |
अग्रतः ते परित्यक्ता परित्यक्ष्यामि जीवितम् || २-१४-१०
10. aarya = Oh; the venerable man ! tvam karishhyasi yadi = if you do not implement; imam = this; mama = my; samayam = agreement; parityaktvaa = having been left over; parityakshhyaami = I will give up; jiivitam = life; te agrataH = in front of you.
"Oh, the venerable man! If you do not implement our agreement, it means you have abandoned me. Hence I will give up my life here in front of you".
एवम् प्रचोदितः राजा कैकेय्या निर्विशन्कया |
न अशकत् पाशम् उन्मोक्तुम् बलिर् इन्द्र क्ऱ्तम् यथा || २-१४-११
11. evam = Thus; prachoditaH = by Kaikeyi; nirvishaNkayaa = without hesitation; rajaa = king Dasaratha; indrakR^itam yathaa = as trapped by Indra; naa shakat = was not able; moktum = to untie; paasham = the cord.
Thus compelled by Kaikeyi, who had no uneasiness in her mind, king Dasaratha could not untie the cord of plighted word that fettered him , any more than Bali could unloose the noose placed (round his body) by Indra(through his younger brother Vamana in order to deprive him of his sovereignty of the three worlds).
उद्भ्रान्त ह्ऱ्दयः च अपि विवर्ण वनदो अभवत् |
स धुर्यो वै परिस्पन्दन् युग चक्र अन्तरम् यथा|| २-१४-१२
12. dhuryaH yathaa = Like a bullock; parispandan = throbbing; yuga chakraantaram = between yoke and the wheel; saH = Dasaratha; udbhraanta hR^idayaH = got agitated at heart; abhavat = became; vivarNa vadanaH chaapi = pale in his face.
Like a bullock throbbing between yoke and the wheel , Dasaratha got agitated in heart and became pale in his face.
विह्वलाभ्याम् च नेत्राभ्याम् अपश्यन्न् इव भूमिपः |
क्ऱ्च्च्रात् धैर्येण संस्तभ्य कैकेयीम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-१४-१३
13. bhuupatiH = The king; vihvalaabhyaam netrabhyaam = with bedimmed eyes; apashyanniva = was unable; as it were to see; samstabhya = stood firm; dhairyeNa = with courage; kR^ichchhraat = and with difficulty; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyi.
King Dasaratha, with bedimmed eyes, was unable, as it were, to see. But with difficulty, he controlled himself by recourse to firmness and spoke to Kaikeyi as follows.
यः ते मन्त्र क्ऱ्तः पाणिर् अग्नौ पापे मया ध्ऱ्तः |
तम् त्यजामि स्वजम् चैव तव पुत्रम् सह त्वया || २-१४-१४
14. paape = Oh; wicked woman! tyajaami = Iabandon; te = your; yaH paaNiH = hand; which; dhR^itaH = was clasped; mayaa = by me; agnau = in the presence of nuptial fire; mantrakR^itaH = when it was consecrated by sacred recitations; tava putram chaiva = as also your son; svajam = begotten by me; tvayaa saha = along with yourself.
"Oh, wicked woman! I abandon your hand, which was clasped by me in presence of nuptial fire, when it was consecrated by sacred recitations as also your son begotten by me along with yourself".
प्रयाता रजनी देवि सूर्यस्योदयनं प्रति |
अभिषेकं गुरुजन्स्त्वरयीष्यति मां ध्रुवम् || २-१४-१५
15. devi = Oh; queen! rajanii = the night; prayataa = has gone by; suuryasya udayanam prati = with return of rising sun; gurujanaH = elderly people; dhruvam = certainly; tvarayishhyati = will quicken; mama = me; abhishhekam = for installation; raamaabhishheka sambhaaraiH = with material to be used for Rama's coranation; upakalpitaiH = procured; tadartham = for the purpose.
"Oh, Queen! the night has gone by, with the return pf rising sun. Elderly people will certainly quicken me for installation of Rama with the sacred materials procured for the purpose".
रामः कारयितव्यो मे मृतस्य सलिलक्रियाम् || २-१४-१६
त्वया सपुत्त्रया नैव कर्तव्या सलिलक्रिया |
व्याहन्तास्यशुभाचारे यदि रामाभिषेचन्म् || २-१४-१७
16;17. ashubhaachaare = Oh; woman of vicious conduct! vyaahantaasi adi = If you obstruct; raamaabhishhechanam = Rama's installation ; salilakriya = offering of water; naiva kartavyaa = cannot be done; tvayaa = by you; suputrayaa = including your son; raamaH = Rama; kaarayitaryaH = will be made to do; salilakriyaam = the offering of water; me = to me; mR^itasya = after death.
"Oh, woman of vicious conduct! If you obstruct Rama's installation, you including your son cannot offer me water. Rama will be made to do the offering of water to me, after death.
न च शक्नोम्यहं द्रषुं पूर्वं तथा सुखम् |
हतहर्षं निरानन्दं पुनर्जनमवाङ्मुखम् || २-१४-१८
18. dR^ishhTvaa = Having seen; janam = people; tathaa sukham = with that joy; puurvam = before; aham = I; na shaknomicha = cannot; drashhTum = see; punaH = again; hata harshham = their happiness ended; niraanandam = without joy; avaaNmukham = having face turned downwards.
"Having seen people with that joy before, I cannot see them with there happiness ended, without any merriment and having their faces turned downward in grief".
तां तथा ब्रुवत्स्तस्य भूमिपन्य महात्मनः |
प्रभाता शर्वरी पुण्या चन्द्रनक्षत्रश्रालिनी || २-१४-१९
19. tasya bhuumipasya = That king; mahaatmanaH = the great souled; bruvataH = speaking; taam = to her; tathaa = as aforesaid; puNyaa = the holy; sharvarii = night; chandra nakshhatra shaalinii = endowed with moon and stars; prabhaataa = began to become clear into a dawn.
While that great souled king was speaking to her as aforesaid, the holy night endowed with, moon and stars began to become clear into a dawn.
ततः पाप समाचारा कैकेयी पार्थिवम् पुनः |
उवाच परुषम् वाक्यम् वाक्यज्ञा रोष मूर्चिता ||२-१४-२०
20. tataH = Afterwards; kaikeyii = K aikeyi; paapa samaachaaraa = of vicious conduct; vaakyaG^yaa = of skillful talk; roshha puuritaa = filled with anger; punaH = again; uvacha = spoke; parushham = harsh; vaakyam = words; parthivam = to the king.
Kaikeyi of vicious conduct and of skilful talk, filled with anger again spoke these harsh words to the king.
किम् इदम् भाषसे राजन् वाक्यम् गर रुज उपमम् |
आनाययितुम् अक्लिष्टम् पुत्रम् रामम् इह अर्हसि || २-१४-२१
21. raajan = Oh; king ! bhaashhase = you are uttering; vaakyam = words; gararujopamam = li ke painful disease; (with difficulty in swallowing); idam kim = why is this? arhasi = you ought; anaayayitum = to summon; putram = your son; raamam = Rama; iha = here; aklishhTam = with out delay.
" Oh, king ! You are uttering words, which cannot be swallowed easily like in a painful throat disease. You ought to summon your son Rama here without any delay."
स्थाप्य राज्ये मम सुतम् क्ऱ्त्वा रामम् वने चरम् |
निह्सपत्नाम् च माम् क्ऱ्त्वा क्ऱ्त क्ऱ्त्यो भविष्यसि || २-१४-२२
22. kR^ita kR^ityaH bhavishhyasi = You will be one who discharged duty; shthaapya = by installing ; mama sutam = my son; raajye = to kingdom kR^itvaa = by making; raamam = Rama; vane charam = wander in woods; kR^itvaa = by making; maam = me; niH sapatnaam = devoid of enemies.
"You will be the one who discharges duty, by installing my son to this kingdom, by making Rama to wander in woods and rid me of enemies."
स नुन्नैव तीक्षेन प्रतोदेन हय उत्तमः |
राजा प्रदोचितः अभीक्ष्णम् कैकेयीम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-१४-२३
23. prachoditaH = Impelled; abhiikshhNam = again and again; hayottama iva = like an excellent horse; nunnaH = thrashed; tiikshhNena = sever ely; pratodena with a whip; saH raajaa = that king; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaikeyiim = to kaikeyi.
Impelled again and again by Kaikeyi, like an excellent horse being severely thrashed with a whip, that king spoke these words to Kaikeyi.
धर्म बन्धेन बद्धो अस्मि नष्टा च मम चेतना |
ज्येष्ठम् पुत्रम् प्रियम् रामम् द्रष्टुम् इच्चामि धार्मिकम् || २-१४-२४
24. buddhaH = I am bound; dharma bandhena = by the ties of morality; mama chetanaacha = my judgement also; nashhTaa = is lost; ichchhaami = I wish; drashhTum = to see; raamam = Rama; dhaarmikam = the pious man; jyeshhTham = the eldest; priyam = the beloved.
"I am bound by the ties of morality. I lost my judgement. I wish to see the pious Rama, my beloved elder son."
ततः प्रभातां र्जनीमुदिते च दिवाकरे |
पुण्ये नक्षत्रयोगे चे मुहूर्ते च समाहिते || २-१४-२५
वसिष्ठो गुणसंपन्नः शिष्येः परिवृतस्तदा |
उपगृह्याशु संभारान् [रविवेश पुरोत्तमम् || २-१४-२६
25;26. tataH = Afterwards; raja niim = the night; prabhaataam = began to become clear; udite = with the rising; divaakare = sun; muhuurte = the moment ; puNye = which is auspicious; nakshhatra yoge cha = united with lunar mansion; samaahite = approaching; tadaa = then ; vasishhTaH = Vasista the sage; guNasapannaH = who is; rich with virtues; pravivesha = entered; aashu = briskly; pu rottamam = that capital city; parivR^itaH = surrounded; shishhyaiH = by disciples; upagR^ihya = having procured; sbhaaraan = requisite materials.
Meanwhile, the night began to become clear, with the rising of sun. While the auspicious, moment united with lunar mansion approaching, the sage Vashishta who is rich in virtues surrounded by his disciples entered the capital city of Ayodhya briskly, having procured the requisite materials for Rama's coronation.
सिक्तसंमार्जितपथां पताकोत्तमभूषिताम् |
विचित्रकुसुमाकीर्णां नानास्रग्भिर्विराजिताम् || २-१४-२७
संहृष्टमनुजोपेतां समृद्धविपणापणाम् |
महोत्सवसमाकीर्णां राघवार्थे समुस्त्सुकाम् || २-१४-२८
चन्दनागुरुधूपैश्च सर्वतः प्रतिधूपिताम् |
तां पुरीम् समतिक्रम्य पुरन्दरपुरोपमाम् || २-१४-२९
ददर्शान्तः पुरश्रेष्ठं नानाद्विजगणायुतम् |
पौरजानपदाकिर्र्र्णं ब्राह्मणैरुपशोभितम् || २-१४-३०
27;28;29;30. samitikramya = Passing through; taam puriim = that city; sikta sammaarjita ; pathaam = whose streets were swept and watered; pataakottama bhuushhitaam = decorated with excellent flags; vichitra kusumaakiirNam = overspread with colourful flowers; viraajitam = made ; brilliant; naanaa sragbhiH = with various types of garlands; samhR^ishhTa manujopetaam = filled with people of joy; samR^idhdhha vipaNaapaNaam = with shops and markets in abundance; mahotsava samaakiirNaam = filled with lot of festivities ; samutsakaam = anxiouslywaiting; raaghavarth e = for ; Rama; pratidhuupitaam = fumigated; sarvataH = on all sides; chandanaagarudhuupaiH = by perfumes of sandalwood and aloc; purandara puropamaam = resembling Amaravati city(capital of Indra) ; dadarsha = (the sage vasista) beheld)beheld; antaH pura shreshhTam = filled with many number of brahmanas; paurajaana padaakiirNam = crowded with citizens and country men; upashobhitam = splendourous; braahmaNaiH = with brahmanas; YajJNya vidhiH = with knowers of sacrificial rites; sadasyaiH = with members of sacrificial assembly; sampuurNam = filled; paramadvijaiH = with excellent brahmanas.
Passing through that city, whose streets were swept and watered decorated with , excellent flags, overspread with colourful flowers , made brilliant with various types of garlands, filled with people of joy, with shops and markets with abundance, filled with lot of festivities, anxiously waiting for Rama, fumigated on all sides with perfumes of sandalwood , also resembling Amaravathy city(capital of Indra); the sage Vashishta beheld the excellent, gynaecium filled with many a number of brahmanas, crowded with citizens and countrymen, looking splendorous with brahmanas, knowers of sacrificial assembly filled with excellent brahmanas.
तदन्तः पुरमासाद्य व्यतिचक्राम तम् जनम् || २-१४-३१
वसिष्ठः परमप्रीतः परमर्षिर्विवेश च |
31. paramarshhiH = The sage; vasishhTaH = Vasista; paramapriitaH = bei ng well pleased; aasaadya = reaching; tat antaHpuram that gynaeceum; vyatichakraama = got past; janam = those people; viveshcha = and entered it.
Sage Vashishta, being well pleased of seeing that gynaecium, got past those people there and , entered it.
स त्वपश्यद्विनिष्क्रान्तं सुमन्त्रं नाम सारथिम् |
द्वारे मनुजसिंहस्य सचिवं प्रियदर्शन्म् || २-१४-३२
32. saH tu = That sage Vasista; apasyat = saw; sumantram naama = Sumantra by name; sachivam = who was minister; saarathim = and charioteer; priya darshanam = who had a pleasing appearance; dvaare = at the gate; manujasimhasya = of Dasaratha; the best of men; vinishhkraantam = coming out.
Meanwhile, Vashishta saw Sumantra by name, who was charioteer-cum-minister of Dasaratha and who had a pleasing appearance coming out of the royal gate.
तमुवाच महातेजाः सूतपुत्रं विशारदम् || २-१४-३३
वसिष्ठः क्षिप्रमाचक्ष्व नृपते र्मामिहागतम् |
33. vasishhTaH = Vasista; mahaa tejaaH = with great splendour; tamuvaacha = spoke thus; **suutaputram** to that son of a charioteer; vishaaradam = the wise man; aachakshhva = tell; nR^ipateH = the king; kshhipram = quickly; maam = about me; aagatam = having come; iha = here.
That great splendoured Vashishta spoke thus to the learned Sumantra, "Tell the king quickly, that I have come."
The word "suta" evidently denotes here the son of a kshatriya through a brahmana wife (his business being that of a bard or a charioteer)-Amarakosa.
इमे गङ्गोदकघटाः सागरेभ्यश्च काञ्चनाः || २-१४-३४
औदुम्बरं भद्रपीठमभिषेकार्थमागतम् |
सर्वबीजानि गन्धाश्च रत्नानि विविधानि च || २-१४-३५
क्षौद्रम् दधि घृतं लाजा दर्भाः सुमनसः पयः |
अष्टौ च कन्या रुचिरा मत्तश्छ वरवारणः | २-१४-३६
चतुरश्वो रथः श्रीमान् निस्त्रिंशो धनुरुत्तमम् |
वाहनं नरसंयुक्तं चत्रं च शशिपन्निभम् || २-१४-३७
श्वेते च वालव्यजने भृङ्गारुश्छ हिरण्मयः |
हेमदामपिनद्धश्च किकुद्मान् पाण्डुरो वृषः || २-१४-३८
केसरी च चतुर्दंष्ट्रो हि श्रेष्ठो महाबलः |
सिंहानस्नं व्याघ्रतनुः समिद्धश्छ हुताशनः || २-१४-३९
सर्ववादित्रसंघाश्च वेश्याश्छालंकृताः स्त्रियः |
आचार्या ब्राह्मणा गावः पुण्यश्च मृगपक्षिणः || २-१४-४०
पौरजानपदश्रेष्ठा नैगमाश्च गणैः सह |
एते चान्ये च बहवो नीयमानाः प्रियम्वदाः || २-१४-४१
अभिषेकाय रामस्य सह तिष्ठन्ति पार्थिवैः |
34;35;36;37;38;39;40;41. ime = These; gaNgodaka ghataaH = pitchers filled with holy waters of Ganga; sagarebhyaHcha = and of oceans ; kaaNchaanaaH = in gold pitchers; bhadra piitham = an excellent seat; andumbaram = made of Udambara wood; aagatam = came; abhishhekaartham = for the purpose of Rama's coronation; sarva biijaani = all types of seeds; gandhaaH = fragrant substances; ratnaanicha = and precious stones; vividhaani = of various kinds; kshhondram = honey; dadhi = curd; ghR^i tam = clarified butter; laazaaH = parched grains of paddy; darbhaaH = blades of Darbha grass; sumanasaH = flowers; papaH = milk; ashh Tau = eight; ruchiraaH = beatiful; kanyaaH = virgins; vaaraNaH = = elephant; mattaH = in rut; sriimaan = glorious; rathaH = chariot; chatur ashvaH = with four horses; mistrimshaH = a special kind of sword; called Nistrimsa; uttamam = excellent; dhanuH = bow; vaahanam = palanquin; narasamyuktam = with bearers; chhatram = umbrella; shashi sannibham = resembling the moon; sveta = while; vaalavyajane = chowries; hi raNmayaH = golden; bhR^ingaaruH = jug; pa aNduraH = bull; kakudmaan = with large hump on its back; hari shreshhTaH = excellent lion; kesarii = with beautiful mane; chaturdaamshTraH = with four large canine teeth; simhaasanam = a throne(with a pair of lions made of the same material for its charm); vyaaghratamH = tiger skin; hutaashanaH = fire; samiddhaH = = with ignition; sarva vaaditra sanghaH cha = all varieties of musical instruments; veshyaaH = courtisans; striyaaH = women; alankR^itaaH = decked with ornaments; aachaaryaaH = teachers; braahmaN aas = brahmanas; gaavaH = cows; mR^iga pakshhiNaH = animals and birds ; puNyaaH = which are sacred; paurajanapada shreshhTaaH = the best of citizens and men of country-side; naigamaaHcha = merchants; gaNa iH saha = along with their followers; ete = all these; bahavaH anyecha = and many; niiyamaanaaH = retainers; priyamvadaaH = speaking kind words; paarthivaiH saha = along with kings; tishhTanti = stand waiting for; raamasya = Rama's; abhishhekaaya = coron ation.
"These pitchers filled with holy waters of ganga , gold pitchers with sea water and an excellent seat with Udambara wood came for the purpose of Rama's installation ceremony. All types of seeds, fragrant substances and precious stones of various kinds, honey, curd, clarified butter, parched grains of paddy, blades of Darbha grass, flowers, milk, eight beautiful virgins , an elephant in rut, a glorious chariot with four horses, a special kind of sword called Nistrimsa, an excellent bow , a palanquin with bearers an umbrella resembling the moon , a pair of white chowries, a golden jug, a white bull with large , humo on its back, an excellent lion with beautiful mane with large canine teeth, a throne, a tiger skin, fire with ignition , all varieties of musical instruments,courtesans, women decked with ornaments, teachers, brahmanas, cows, animals and birds which are sacred, the best of citizens and men of country side, merchants along with their followers, all these and many other retainers speaking kind words, along with kings stand waiting for Rama's coronation.
त्वरयस्व महाराजं यथा समुदितेऽहनि || २-१४-४२
पुण्ये नक्षत्रयोगे च रामो राज्यमवाप्नुयात् |
42. tvarayasya = Hasten; mahaar aajam = the emperor; yathaa = so that; raamaH = Rama; avaapnuyaat = will get the kingdom; ahani = when the day ; samudite = gets started; puNye = at the auspicious; nakshhatra yogecha = occation of constallation called pushya.
Hasten the emperor, so that Rama will get the throne when the day gets started at the auspicious moment of pushya constellation uniting with the moon"
इति तस्य वचः श्रुत्वा सूतपुत्रो महात्मनः || २-१४-४३
स्तुवन्नृपतिशार्धूलं प्रविवेश निवेशनम् |
43. suute putraH = Sumantra; shrutvaaa = hearing; iti = th ese; vachaH = words; tasya mahaatmanaH = of Vasista; the great souled; pravivesha = entered; niveshanam = the gynaeceum; stuvan = enlogging; nR^ipati shaarduulam = Dasaratha; that tiger among kings.
Hearing these words Vashishta the great souled, Sumantra entered the gynaecium along with Dasaratha, the tiger among kings.
तं तु पूर्वोदितं वृद्धं द्वारस्था राजसम्मतम् || २-१४-४४
न शेकुरभिसंरोद्धुं राज्ञः प्रयचिकीर्ष्वः |
44. dvaarasthaaH = The doormen; priyachikiirshhavaH = who were wishing to do kindness ; raajJNaH = to king; na shekuH = could not; abhisamroddum = obstruct; tamtu = him; p uurvoditam = who came before hand; vR^iddham = who was senior; raaja sammatam = who was esteemed by the king.
The doormen , who were wishing to do kindness to king, could not obstruct Sumantra, who came before hand who was senior and who was highly esteemed by the king.
स सवीपस्थितो राज्ञ्स्तामवस्थामजज्ञीवान् || २-१४-४५
वाग्भिः परमतुष्टाभिरभिष्टोतुं प्रचक्रमे |
45. samiipasthitaH = standing besides; raajJNaH = the king; ; ajajJNivaan = ignorant of; taam = that; avasthaam = situation; saH = he; p achakrame = started; abhishhTotum = prai sing; ; tushhTaabhiH = with very pleasing; vagbhiH = words.
Standing besides the king and ignorant of that situation, Sumantra started praising the king with very pleasing words.
ततः सूतो यथाकालं पार्थिवस्य निवेशने || २-१४-४६
सुमन्त्रः प्राञ्जलिर्भूत्वा तुष्टाव जगतीपतिम् |
46. tataH = Afterwards; sumant raH = Sumantra; suutaH = the charioteer; bhuutraa = befittingly; niveshane = i n gynaeceum; paarthivasya = of the king ; tushhTaava = enlogised; jagatiipatim = the king; yathaakaalam = according to the moment suitable.
Sumantra, standing with joined palms in the gynaecium of the king, eulogised the king according to the appropriate moment as follows.
यथा नन्दति तेजस्वी सागरो भास्करोदये |
प्रीतह् प्रीतेन मनसा तथानन्दघनः स्वतः || २-१४-४७
47. yatha = How; tejasvii = the splendid ; saagaraH = ocean; nandati = gladdens; bhaskar odaye = at the time of sunrise; tathaa = so; aananda ghanaH = you filled with delight; svataH = by nature; priitaH = gladden (us); manasaa = with your mind; priitena = delighted.
"How the splendid ocean gladdens at the time of sunrise, so do you by nature filled with delight, gladden us with your delighted mind."
इन्द्रमस्यां तु वेळायामभितुष्टाव मातलिः || २-१४-४८
सोऽजयद्धानवान्सर्वांस्तथा त्वां बोधयाम्यहम् |
48. asyaam veLaayaam = At this very hour; maataliH = Matali(Indra's charioteer)abhitushhTaava = praised; indram = Indra; saH = that Indra; ajayat = conquered ; sarvaan = all; daanavaan = the demons; tathaa = this; aham = I; bodhayaami = am awakening; tvaam = you.
"At the very hour of sunrise, Matali (Indra's charioteer)praised Indra and the latter conquered all the demons. In the same manner, I am awakening you."
वेदाः सहाङ्गविद्याश्छ यथाह्यात्मभुवम् विभुम् || २-१४-४९
ब्रह्माणम् बोधयन्त्यद्य तथा त्वां बोधयाम्यहम् |
49. tathaa = So; aham = I; bodhayaami = am awakening; tvaam = you; adya = now; yathaa = as ; vedaaH = vedas; sahaaNga vidyaaH = along with the knowledge of limbs of the body; bodhayanti = guide** vibhum = Lord; brahmaaNam = Brahma; aatma ; bhuvam = self born
"As Vedas along with the knowledge of the limbs of the body guide Lord Brahma (the creator) who is self born, so am I awakening you now."
Brahma derives his knowledge of objects to be evolved at the beginning of creation from the Vedas.
आदित्यः सह चन्द्रेण यथा भूतधरां शुभाम् || २-१४-५०
बोधयत्यद्य पृथिवीं तथा त्वाम् बोधयाम्यहम् |
50. yathaa = Even as aadityaH = sun; sahachandreNa = along with moon ; bodhayati = awaken; shubhaam = the beautiful; pR^ithiviim = earth; bhuutadharaam = which sustains the ; living beings; tathaa = so; aham = I; bodhayaami = am awakening ; tvaam = you."
"Even as the sun along with the moon awaken the beautiful earth which sustains the beings so, am I awakening you."
उत्तिष्ठाशु महाराज कृतकौतुकमङ्गळः || २-१४-५१
विराजमानो वपुषा मेरोरिव दिवाकरः |
51. mahaaraaja = Oh; Majesty!; u ttishhThaH = raise up; divaakaraH iva = like a sun ; ; meroH = from mount Meru; vapushhaa = with body; viraajamaanaH = shining brilliantly; kR^ita kantuka ; maN^gaLaH = and dressed suitably for the auspicious ceremony.
"Having dressed suitably for the auspicious ceremony and shining brightly with you personality, raise up. Oh, Majesty, like the sun from mount Meru."
सोमसूर्यौ च काकुत्थ्स शिववैश्रवणावपि || २-१४-५२
वरुणाश्छग्निरिन्द्रश्च विजयं प्रदिश्न्तु ते |
52. kaakutthsa = Oh; Dasarath a born in kakutsa dynasty! soma suuryoncha = Sun and the moon; shiva vaishravaNaavapi = Shiva and Kubera; varuNaH = varuna; agniH = Agni; indraHcha = a nd Indra; pradishantu = bestow; te = you; vijayam = victory!
"Oh, Dasaratha born in Kakutsa dynasty! May the Gods -Sun and the Moon Shiva and Kubera, Varuna, Agni and Indra bestow you victory!"
गता भगवती रात्रिः कृतकृत्य मिदं तव || २-१४-५३
बुद्ध्यस्व सृपशार्दूल कुरु कार्यमनन्तरम् |
उदतिष्ठत रामस्य समग्रमभिषेचन्म् || २-१४-५४
58. mahiipatiH = King Dasaratha; iti = thus; shrutvaa = hearing; tasya vachaH = his words; arthavat = which were meaningful; saantva puurvamiva = and which were very soothing ; abhyakiiryata = was surrounded ; shokena = with grief; bhuumya eva = once more.
"Oh, the best of the kings ! The holy night has gone by. Know what has been done and do what has to be done. All the requirements for Rama's coronation is kept ready" .
पौरजानपदैश्चापि नैगमैश्च कृताञ्जलिः |
स्वयं वसिष्ठो भगवान् ब्राह्मणैः सह तिष्ठति || २-१४-५५
55. bhagavaan = The venerable; vasishhThaH = Vasishta; svayam = hi mself ; tishhThati = stands; bhaahmaNaiH scha = along with brahmanas; kR^itaaJNjaliH = being saluted with joined palms by; paura jaanapadaishchaapi = citizens and village folks; naigamaishcha = and merchants.
"The venerable Vashishta himself stands waiting at the gate along with brahmanas, being saluted saluted with joined palms by citizens, village folk and merchants."
क्षिप्रमाज्ञ्प्यतां राजन् राघवस्याभिषेचन्म् |
यथा ह्यपालाः पशवो यथा सेना ह्यानायका || २-१४-५६
यथा च्न्द्रं विना रात्रिर्यथा गावो विना वृषम् |
एवं हि भविता राष्ट्रं यत्र राजा न दृश्यते || २-१४-५७
56;57. raajan = Oh; king!; aajJNaapyat aam = Give orders ; kshhipram = quickly ; raaghavasya = for Rama's; abhishhechanam = coronation ceremony; raashhTram = a state; yatra = in which; raajaa = a king; na dR^ishyate = is not seen; evam = thus; bhavitaahi = indeed becomes ; yathaa = how; pashavaH = cattle is ; apaalaaH = without herdsman; yathaa = how; senaa = army is; anaayakaH ; without commander; yathaa = how; raatriH = night is; chandram vinaa = without moon; yathaa = how; gavaaH = cows are; vR^ishham vinaa = without bull.
"Oh king! Give orders quickly for Rama's coronation ceremony. A kingdom without a king is like cattle without a herdsman, army without a commander, night without the moon and cows without a bull."
इति तस्य वचः श्रुत्वा सान्त्वपूर्वमिवार्थवत् |
अभ्यकीर्यत शोकेन भूय एव महीपतिः || २-१४-५८
58. mahiipatiH = King Dasaratha; iti = thus; shrutvaa = hearing; tasya vachaH = = his words; arthavat = which were meaningful; saantva puurvamiva = and which were very soothing ; abhyakiiryata = was surrounded ; shokena = with grief; bhuumya eva = once more.
King Dasaratha hearing his words which were soothing and meaningful, was surrounded with grief once more.
ततः स राजा तम् सूतम् सन्न हर्षः सुतम् प्रति |
शोक आरक्त ईक्षणः श्रीमान् उद्वीक्ष्य उवाच धार्मिकः || २-१४ ५९
वाक्यैस्तु खलु मर्माणि मम भूयो निकृन्तसि |
59. saH raajaa = That king ; dhaarmikaH = who was pious; shriimaan = and glorious; sannaharshha = having lost joy; sutam prati = about his son; udvuikshhya = looked up; shoka raktekshhaNaH = with burning red eyes ; uvaacha = spoke; tam suutam = to that charioteer; nikR^intasi = "You are chopping off; mama = my; marmaaNi = vitals; bhuuyaH eva = further; vaakyaiH = with words"
That king who was pious and glorious, having lost joy about his son, looked up with sorrowful red eyes and spoke those to Sumantra. "You are chopping off my vitals further more, with your words!."
सुमन्त्रः करुणम् श्रुत्वा द्ऱ्ष्ट्वा दीनम् च पार्थिवम् || २-१४-६०
प्रग्ऱ्हीत अन्जलिः किंचित् तस्मात् देशात् अपाक्रमन् |
60. sumantraH = Sumantra; srutva a = hearing; karuNam = mournful words; dR^ishhTvaacha = and seeing ; diinam = depressed; paarthivam = king; pragR^i hiitaaJNjaliH = taken upon himself the joined palms; apaakramat = slipped away; kiNchit = a little; tasmaat deshaat = from that place.
Sumantra, after seeing the depressed king and hearing mournful words, joined palms with salutation and slipped away to a distance from that place.
यदा वक्तुम् स्वयम् दैन्यान् न शशाक मही पतिः || २-१४-६१
तदा सुमन्त्रम् मन्त्रज्ञा कैकेयी प्रत्युवाच ह |
61. yadaa = when; mahiipati H = the king; na shashaaka = could not; vaktum = say; svayam = himself; dainyaat = due to depression; tadaa = then; kaikeyi = Kaikeyi; mantrajJNaa = who is experienced in fore-thoughts; pratyuvaachaha = replied; suman tram = to Sumantra.
Dasaratha could not say any thing himself because of depression. Then, Kaikeyi who is experienced in fore-thoughts, spoke thus to Sumantra.
सुमन्त्र राजा रजनीं रामहर्षसमुत्सुकः || २-१४-६२
प्रजागरपरिश्रान्तो निद्रावशमुपेयुवान् |
62. sumantra = Oh; Sumantra! raajaa = The king; raama harshha samutsakah = getting emotional by the joy related to Rama; prajaagaraparishraantaH = was tired of awakening ; rajaniim = the whole night; upeyivaam = got; nidraavasham = subjected to sleep.
"Oh Sumantra! The king, being smitten by emotional joy in relation to Rama, who tired of awakening the whole night and got subjected to sleep"
तद्गच्छ त्वरितं सूत राजपुत्रं यशस्विनम् || २-१४-६३
राममानय भद्रं ते नात्र कार्या विचारणा |
63. suuta = Oh; sumantra!; tat = Hence; tvaritam = quickly; gachchha = proceed; aanaya = to bring; raamam = Rama; yashasvinam = the glorious; raajaputram = prince; bhadram = blessedness ; te = to you; na kaaryaa = do not form; vichaara Naa = hesitation; atra = in the matter.
"Oh, Sumantra! Hence, quickly go and bring the glorious prince Rama. Blessedness to you! Do not have any hesitation in this matter. "
स मन्यमानः कल्याणम् हृदयेन नन्नन्ध च || २-१४-६४
निर्जगाम च संप्रीत्या त्वरितो राजशासनात् |
64. saH = He; manyamaanaH = was thinking; kalyaanam = of auspicious occasion; hR^idayena = in heart; nanandacha = and rejoiced; sampriityaa = With pleasure; nirjagaama = he started; tvaritaH = hurriedly; raaja shaasanaat = by the orders of the king.
"He was thinking of that auspicious occasion in heart and rejoiced. With pleasure, he set out, by the orders of the king."
सुमन्त्रश्चिन्तयामास त्वरितं चोदितस्तया || २-१४-६५
व्यक्तं रामोऽभिषेकार्थमिहायास्यति धर्मवित् |
65. chiditaH = Instigated; tayaa = by her; sumantraH = Sumantra; chintayaamaasa = thought(thus); raamaH = Rama; dharmavit = the righteous; aayaasya = will come ; iha = here; abhishhekaarthan = for coronation; vyaktam = certainly.
Instigated by her, Sumantra thought that the righteous Rama would come there certainly for coronation.
इति सूतो मतिं कृत्वा हर्षेण महता वृतः || २-१४-६६
निर्जगाम महाबाहो राघवस्य दिदृक्षया |
66. suutaH = Sumantra; iti = thus; matimkR^itvaa = thinking ; mahataa harshheNa = in great joy; nirjagaama = set out; didR^ikshhayaa = with desire to see; raaghavasya = Rama; mahaabaaho = the long armed
Sumantra thus thinking and dwelling in a great joy, set out with a desire to see the long armed Rama
सागरह्रदसंकाशात्सुमन्त्रोऽन्तःपुराच्छुभात् || २-१४-६७
निष्क्रम्य जनसंबाधं ददर्श द्वारमग्रतः |
67. sumantraH = Sumantra; nishhkramya = coming out; antaHpuraat = of gynaeceum; shubhaat = splendid; saagrahrada sankaashaat = like a pool in the sea; dadarsha = saw; dvaaram = the gate; jana sambaadhaam = looking congested; with men; agrahataH = in front.
Sumantra coming out of gynaceumwhich looked like a splendid pool in the sea, saw the gate being congested with throngs of people.
ततः पुरस्तत्सासा विनिर्गतो |
महीपतीन् द्वारगतो विलोकयन् |
ददर्श पौरान् विविधान्महाधना |
नुपस्थितान् द्वारमुपेत्य विष्ठतान् || २-१४-६८
68. tatah = Afterwards; vinirgataH = going out; purastaat = further on; dvaaragataH = approached the entrance; vilokayan = by seeing; dvaaram = the gate; upetya = come nearer; dadarsha = saw; mahiipatiim = kings; vishhTitaam = stationed; mahaadhanaan = very rich; pauraan = citizens; upasthitaan = having arrived.
Afterwards, proceeding further on, he saw near the gate some kings stationed there and very rich citizens having arrived there.
- - -
|| इत्यार्शे स्रीमद्रामायने आदिकाव्ये अयोध्यकान्दे चतुर्दशः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K.M.K.Murthy