King Dasaratha continued to narrate to Kausalya how he went to the aged parents of the deceased sage and informed about the death of their son and its cause, how he escorted them to their son to the river where he was lying dead, how embracing the boy they wept and offered libations of water to his spirit, how invested with an ethereal body, the spirit ascended to heaven while consoling the aged couple and finally how, having cursed the king that he too would die of agony caused by the separation from his son, the aged couple gave up their lives. Having thus narrated the story of his getting the curse long back and loudly weeping, king Dasaratha dies of grief.
वधमप्रतिरूपम् तु महर्षेस्तस्य राघवः |
विलपन्ने व धर्मात्मा कौसल्याम् पुन रब्रवीत् || २-६४-१
1. dharmaatmaa = The high-souled; raaghavaH = Dasaratha; vilapanneva = while lamenting; apratiruupam = about the unworthy; vadham = killing; tasya maharshheH = of that sage; punaH = again; abraviit = spoke; kausalyaam = to Kausalya (as follows):
The high souled Dasaratha, while lamenting about the unworthy killing of that sage, spoke further to Kausalya as follows:
तत् अज्ञानान् महत् पापम् कृत्वा सम्कुलित इन्द्रियः |
एकः तु अचिन्तयम् बुद्ध्या कथम् नु सुकृतम् भवेत् || २-६४-२
2. kR^itvaa = having done; aG^yaanaat = invadvertantly; tat = that; mahat = great; paapam = sin; aham = I; samkulendriyaH = having my senses confounded; achintyam = thought; ekastu = alone; buddhyaa = with my intellect; kathamnu = how; sukrutam bhavet = best can be done."
Having done that great sin inadvertently, having my senses confounded and I being alone, I thought of using my reason of what best can be done."
ततः तम् घटम् आदय पूर्णम् परम वारिणा |
आश्रमम् तम् अहम् प्राप्य यथा आख्यात पथम् गतः || २-६४-३
3. tataH = Thereafter; aadaaya = taking; paramavaariNaa = best water; puurNam = fully; tam = in that; ghaTam = pitcher; praapya = obtaining; yathaakhyaata patham = the path as made known; aham = I; gatah = went; tam aashramam = to that hermitage."
"Taking the best water fully in that pitcher, I went to that hermitage by the path as directed by the young sage.
तत्र अहम् दुर्बलाव् अन्धौ वृद्धाव् अपरिणायकौ |
अपश्यम् तस्य पितरौ लून पक्षाव् इव द्विजौ || २-६४-४
तन् निमित्ताभिर् आसीनौ कथाभिर् अपरिक्रमौ |
ताम् आशाम् मत् कृते हीनाव् उदासीनाव् अनाथवत् || २-६४-५
4; 5.tatra = There; aham = I; apashyam = saw; tasya = his; tarou = parents; durbhaou = who were frail; andhou = blind;vR^iddhou = aged; apariNaayakou = without a guide; dvijou iva = like birds; luuna pakshhou = whose wings were cut off; kathaabhiH = narrating (words) tannimiHaabhiH = targeting about him; aasinou = sitting; aparishramou = without any occupation; anaathavat = Having no protector; udaasiinou = and being immobile; hiinou = losing; taam aashaam = hope of their son; matkR^ite = because of me."
"There I saw the frail, blind and aged parents of the young sage. They were without a guide to support them, as birds whose wings were cut-off. Without any other occupation, they were narrating words only about their son. Having no protector and being immobile they lost the hope of their son, because of me."
शोकोपहतचित्तश्च भयसम्त्रस्तचेतनः |
तच्चाश्रमपदम् गत्वा भूयः शोकमहम् गतः || २-६४-६
6. shokopahata chittaH = with my mind afflicted with grief; bhaya santraptachetanaH = worried in mind about the impending peril; aham gataH = I got; bhuuyaH = further; shokam = grief; gatvaa = after reaching; tat = that; aashramapadam = hermitage."
"With my mind afflicted by grief and worried about the impending peril, I fell a prey to further grief after reaching the hermitage.
पद शब्दम् तु मे श्रुत्वा मुनिर् वाक्यम् अभाषत |
किम् चिरायसि मे पुत्र पानीयम् क्षिप्रम् आनय || २-६४-७
7. "shrutvaa = hearing; me padashabdam = the sound of my foot steps; muni = the sage; abhaashhat = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words:"Oh;son! Kim = why; chiraayasi = are you late? aanaya = bring; me = me; paaniiyam = the water; kshhipram = quickly."
"Hearing the sound of my foot-steps, that sage spoke as follows: "O, son! Why are you late? Give me the water soon."
यन् निमित्तम् इदम् तात सलिले क्रीडितम् त्वया |
उत्कण्ठिता ते माता इयम् प्रविश क्षिप्रम् आश्रमम् || २-६४-८
8. taata = my dear son! Yannimittam = for what reason; kriiDitam = played; idam = in this manner; salile = in water; tvayaa = by you; iyam = this; te maataa = your mother; utkanThitaa = is regretted; pravisha = enter; aashramam = the hermitage; kshhipram = soon."
"My dear son! Your mother is regretting why you are playing in water in this manner. Enter the hermitage quickly."
यद् व्यलीकम् कृतम् पुत्र मात्रा ते यदि वा मया |
न तन् मनसि कर्तव्यम् त्वया तात तपस्विना || २-६४-९
9. putra = O; son! taata = O dear! yat = If any; vyaLiikam = disagreeable thing; kR^itam = has been done; te = by your; maatraa = mother; yadivaa = or; mayaa = by me; tat = it; na kartavyam = ought not have been kept; manasi = in mind; tvayaa = by you."
"O, son! My dear! If any disagreeable thing has been done by your mother, or me, you, as a sage ought not have kept it in your mind."
त्वम् गतिस् तु अगतीनाम् च चक्षुस् त्वम् हीन चक्षुषाम् |
समासक्ताः त्वयि प्राणाः किंचिन् नौ न अभिभाषसे || २-६४-१०
10. agatiinaam = we being helpless; tvam = you; gatih = are our refuge; achakshhushhaam = we having without sight; tvam = you; chakshhuHhi = are indeed our eyes; praaNaaH = our lives; samaasaktaaH = are encircled; tvayi = in you; kim = why; tvam naabhibhaashhate = not talking; naH = with us?"
"We being helpless, you are our refuge. We being blind, you are our eyes. Our lives are encircled around you. Why are you not talking with us?"
मुनिम् अव्यक्तया वाचा तम् अहम् सज्जमानया |
हीन व्यन्जनया प्रेक्ष्य भीतः भीतैव अब्रुवम् || २-६४-११
11. prekshhya = seeing; tam munim = that ascetic; bhiitachitta iva = with a fearful mind; abruvam vaachaa = I spoke in a tone; avyaktayaa = indistinct; sajjamaanayaa = leaving some consonants".
"As though fearful in mind to behold the ascetic, I spoke to him in a tone which was indistinct inarticulate and without some consonants?"
मनसः कर्म चेष्टाभिर् अभिसंस्तभ्य वाग् बलम् |
आचचक्षे तु अहम् तस्मै पुत्र व्यसनजम् भयम् || २-६४-१२
12. abhisamstabhya = having strengthened; vaagbalam = firmness in my speech; karmaH = and act by deliberate efforts; aachachakshhe = I told; tasmai = him; bhayam = of the fear(that awaited him); putravyasanajam = of his son's death."
"Having strengthened the firmness in my speech and having abandoned fear in my mind by deliberate efforts, I told him of the alarm that awaited him of his son's death."
क्षत्रियो अहम् दशरथो न अहम् पुत्रः महात्मनः |
सज्जन अवमतम् दुह्खम् इदम् प्राप्तम् स्व कर्मजम् || २-६४-१३
13. aham = I; kshhatriyaH = am a warrior; dasharathaH = named Dasaratha; aham = I; na mahatmanaH = am not your high souled; putraH = son; idam = this; duHkham = calamity; svakarmajam = created by my own act; sajjanaavamatam = despised by noble men; praaptam = befell (upon me)".
"I am Dasaratha, belonging to warrior- class. I am not your high-souled son. This calamity created by my own act, despised by noble men, befell upon me."
भगवमः च अपहस्तः अहम् सरयू तीरम् आगतः |
जिघांसुः श्वा पदम् किंचिन् निपाने वा आगतम् गजम् || २-६४-१४
14. bhagavan = O; venerable sage! ChaapahastaH = wearing a bow in hand; aham = I; aagataH = came; sarayuu tiiram = to the bank of Sarayu River; jighaamsuH = with an intent to kill ; gajamcha = an elephant; aagatam = arrived to; nipaane = a ford(for drinking water); kamchit = or any; shvaapadam = wild animal".
"O, venerable sage! Wearing a bow in hand, I came to the bank of Sarayu River with an intent to kill an elephant arrived to a ford (for drinking water) or any other wild animal."
ततः श्रुतः मया शब्दो जले कुम्भस्य पूर्यतः |
द्विपो अयम् इति मत्वा हि बाणेन अभिहतः मया || २-६४-१५
15. tataH = then; mayaa = by me; shrutaH = was heard; shabdaH = the sound; kumbhasya = of a pitcher; puuryataH = being filled; jale = with water; matvaa = thinking; ayam = it; dvipaH iti = as an elephant; ayam = it; abhihataH = was killed; mayaa = by me; baaNena = with an arrow."
"Then by me was heard the sound of a pitcher being filled with water. Guessing it as an elephant, I killed it with an arrow."
गत्वा नद्याः ततः तीरम् अपश्यम् इषुणा हृदि |
विनिर्भिन्नम् गत प्राणम् शयानम् भुवि तापसम् || २-६४-१६
16. tataH = Thereafter; gatvaa = I reached; tiiram = the bank; nadyaaH = of the river; apashyam = and saw; taapasam = an ascetic; shayaanam = lying; gatapraaNam = dead; bhuvi = on the ground; vinirbhinnam = pierced; ishhuNaa = by an arrow; hR^idi = into his heart."
"Thereafter, reaching the bank of the river there, I saw an ascetic lying dead on the ground, with the arrow pierced into his heart."
भगवन् शब्दम् आलक्ष्य मया गज जिघांसुना |
विसृष्टः अम्भसि नाराचः तेन ते निहतः सुतः || २-६४-१७
17. bhagavan = O;honorable sage!gaja jigaamsunaa = with a desire to kill an elephant; aalakshhya = by targeting; shabdam; = the sound; naaraachaH = an iron arrow; visR^ishhTaH = was released; ambasi = into water; mayaa = by me; tataH = therafter; te = your; sutaH = son; nihataH = was killed"
"O, honorable sage! With a desire to kill an elephant by targeting the sound, I released an iron arrow, and thus your son was killed (hit)"
ततस्तस्यैव वचनादुपेत्य परितप्यतः |
स मया सहसा बण उद्धृतो मर्मतस्तदा || २-६४-१८
18. tataH = thereafter; upetya = approached; mayaa = by me; tadaa = then; vachanaat = according to the word; tasyaiva = by him; paritapyataH = who was suffering from pain; saH baaNaH = that arrow; uddhR^itaH = was taken out; sahasaa = soon; marmataH = from his vital part."
"Approaching as per his request, closer to him who was suffering from pain, I took out the arrow soon from his vital part."
स च उद्धृतेन बाणेन तत्र एव स्वर्गम् आस्थितः |
भगवन्ताव् उभौ शोचन्न् अन्धाव् इति विलप्य च || २-६४-१९
19. saH cha = he also; shochan = mourning; bhavantou = about both of you; pitarou = the parents; vilapyacha = lamenting; andhou iti = that both of you were blind; tatraiva = there itself; asthitaH = he attained; svargam = heaven; tena baaNena = by that arrow; uddhR^itena = taken out."
"Soon after taking out the arrow, he worried about both of you the parents, lamenting that you were blind and there itself he attained Heaven"
अज्ञानात् भवतः पुत्रः सहसा अभिहतः मया |
शेषम् एवम् गते यत् स्यात् तत् प्रसीदतु मे मुनिः || २-६४-२०
20. ajJNaanaat = unknowingly; sahasaa = and unexpectedly; bhavataH putraH = your son; nihataH = was killed; mayaa = by me; evamgata = while it happened like this; muniH = let the sage; prasiidatu = ask me (to do) tat = that; yat = which; sheshhamsyaat = that is left."
"Unknowingly and unexpectedly your son was killed by me. It has happened like that. Let the honorable sage command me what to do in this matter."
स तत् श्रुत्वा वचः क्रूरम् निह्श्वसन् शोक कर्शितः |
नाशकत्तीव्रमायासमकर्तुम् भगवानृषिः || २-६४-२१
21. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = that; kruuram = cruel; vachaH = news; uktam = uttered; mayaa = by me; aghashamsinaa = confessing my sin;bhagavaan = the venerable; saH R^ishhiH = that sage; naashakat = could not; akartum = resist; tiivram = severe; aayaasam = anger."
Hearing that cruel news pronounced by me, confessing my sin, that venerable sage could not resist his severe anger."
सबाष्पपूर्णवदनो निःश्वसन् शोककर्शितः |
माम् उवाच महा तेजाः कृत अन्जलिम् उपस्थितम् || २-६४-२२
22. saH = he; mahaatejaaH; with your splendor; baashhpa puurna vadanaH = with face filled with tears; nishshvasan = sighing; shokakarshitaH = hurt with sorrow; uvaacha = spoke; maam = to me; upasthitam = who came near; kR^itaaNjalim = with joined palms."
"That sage with great splendor, whose face was filled with tears and troubled by sorrow, spoke with a sigh to me who came near him with joined palms"
यद्य् एतत् अशुभम् कर्म न स्म मे कथयेः स्वयम् |
फलेन् मूर्धा स्म ते राजन् सद्यः शत सहस्रधा || २-६४-२३
23. raajan = O ;king!; tvam no kathayeH yadi = If you have not told; me = me; etat = about this; ashubham = shameful; karma = deed; svayam = yourself; te = your; muurdhaa = head; phaletsma = would have burst; shatasahasradhaa = into a hundred thousand pieces; sadyaH = immediately."
"If you have not told me about this shameful deed yourself, O. king, your head would have burst instantly into a hundred thousand pieces."
क्षत्रियेण वधो राजन् वानप्रस्थे विशेषतः |
ज्ञान पूर्वम् कृतः स्थानाच् च्यावयेद् अपि वज्रिणम् || २-६४-२४
24. vadhaaH = a killing; kR^itah = done; kshhatiriye Na = by a warrior; JNaana puurvam = premeditatedly; visheshhataH = in particular; vaanaprasthe = (killing done) to a hermit; chyaavayet = would expel; vajriNam api = even Indra; sthaanaat = from his post."
"A killing brought about by a warrior premeditatedly and in particular to a hermit, would expel even Indra from his post."
सप्तधा तु फलेन्मूर्धा मुनौ तपसि तिष्ठति |
ज्ञानाद्विसृजतः शस्त्रम् तादृशे ब्रह्मचारिणि || २-६४-२५
25. muurdhaa = the head; visR^ijataH = of a dispatcher;shatram = of a weapon; G^yaanaat = with a knowledge of the matter. Munou = on a sage; tishhThati = eshtablished; tapsi = in austerity; taadR^ishe = or in such; brahmachaariNi = an unmarried student practicing sacred study; phalet = gets bursts; saptadhaa = into seven pieces."
"The head of a dispatcher of a weapon with a knowledge of the matter on a sage established in austerity or such an unmarried student practicing sacred study, gets burst into seven pieces."
अज्ञानाद्द् हि कृतम् यस्मात् इदम् तेन एव जीवसि |
अपि हि अद्य कुलम् नस्यात् राघवाणाम् कुतः भवान् || २-६४-२६
26. yasmaat = for what reason; idam = this act; kR^itam hi = has been done; aG^yaanaat = un knowingly; tenaiva = for that reason; jiivasi = you are alive; kutaH = where; bhavaan = are you? Adya = today; kulamapi = even the race; ikshhvaakuuNaam = of Ikshvakus; na syaat hi = would have been no more indeed".
"You are still surviving because you have done it unknowingly. Not even you, but today the whole of Ikshvaaku dynasty would have been no more, if it is not the case."
नय नौ नृप तम् देशम् इति माम् च अभ्यभाषत |
अद्य तम् द्रष्टुम् इच्चावः पुत्रम् पश्चिम दर्शनम् || २-६४-२७
रुधिरेण अवसित अन्गम् प्रकीर्ण अजिन वाससम् |
शयानम् भुवि निह्सम्ज्ञम् धर्म राज वशम् गतम् || २-६४-२८
27; 28. abhyabhaashhatacha = "He spoke; maam = to me; iti = thus; nR^ipa = "O;king! Adya = Now; ichchhaavaH = we want; drashhTum = to see; paschima darshanam = as our last look; putram = our son; avasiktaaNgam = whose body is wet; rudhireNa = with blood; prakiirNaajinavaasasam = with his garments of deer skin scattered from him; shayaanam = lying down; bhuvi = on the ground; nissamG^yam = unconscious; gatam = who was subjected; dharmaraajavasham = to the dominion of Yama (god of death); naya = to that place."
"He spoke to me thus: "O, king! Now we want to see, as our last look, our son whose body is drenched in blood, with his garment of deer-skin scattered from him, lying unconscious on the ground and who is subjected to the dominion of Yama(god of death) . Take both of us to that place."
अथ अहम् एकः तम् देशम् नीत्वा तौ भृश दुह्खितौ |
अस्पर्शयम् अहम् पुत्रम् तम् मुनिम् सह भार्यया || २-६४-२९
29. atha = thereafter; niitvaa = taking; tou = both of them; bhR^ishaduHkhitou = who were weeping profusely; tam desham = to that place; ekaH = solitarily; tam munim = that sage; bhaaryayaascha = along with his wife; asparshayam = to touch; tam putram = that son."
"Thereafter, taking both of them, who were weeping profusely, to that place, I for one made that sage and his wife to touch their son."
तौ पुत्रम् आत्मनः स्पृष्ट्वा तम् आसाद्य तपस्विनौ |
निपेततुः शरीरे अस्य पिता च अस्य इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-६४-३०
30. aasaadya = approaching; aatmanaH = their; putram = son; tam = that; tapasvinou = miserable; tou = couple; spR^ishhTvaa = touched; nipetataH = and fell; asya = on his; shariire = body; asya = his; pitaacha = father; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words."
"Approaching their son, that miserable couple touched their son's body and fell on it . Then, his father spoke as follows."
न न्व् अहम् ते प्रियः पुत्र मातरम् पश्य धार्मिक |
किम् नु न आलिन्गसे पुत्र सुकुमार वचो वद || २-६४-३१
31. vatsa = my dear boy! Adya = Now; naabhivaadayase = you are not offering salutation; maa = to me; na cha abhibhaashhase = nor do you talk; maam = to me; tvam kimnu sheshhe = why are you sleeping; bhuumou = on the floor? kimasi = are you; kupitaH = angry?".
"My dear boy! You are not offering salutation to me, nor do you talk to me. Why are you sleeping on the floor? Are you angry?"
न त्वहम् ते प्रियः पुत्र मातरम् पस्य धार्मिक |
किम् नु नालिङ्गसे पुत्र सुकुमार वचो वद || २-६४-३२
32. dhaarmika = O; righteous; putra = son!aham = I; priyaH = am beloved; te = to you; natu = otherwise;pasya = see; maataram = your mother; kimnu = why are you; naaliNgase = not embracing; putra = my son? vada = utter;vachaH = some words; sukumaara = O; delicate youth!"
"O, righteous son! I am beloved to you. Otherwise, see your mother. Why are you not embracing, my son? Utter some words, O delicate youth!"
कस्य वा अपर रात्रे अहम् श्रोष्यामि हृदयम् गमम् |
अधीयानस्य मधुरम् शास्त्रम् वा अन्यद् विशेषतः || २-६४-३३
33. kasyaavaa = whose; hR^idayangamam = heart touching; madhuram = and sweet voice; adhiiyaanasya = reciting;shaastram = a sacred scripture; anyadvaa = or any other text; visheshhtaH = in particular; apararaatre = at the end of night; aham = I; shroshhyaami = shall hear?."
"Whose sweet and heart touching voice, reciting one sacred text or the other in particular at the end of the night, shall I hear from now?"
को माम् संध्याम् उपास्य एव स्नात्वा हुत हुत अशनः |
श्लाघयिष्यति उपासीनः पुत्र शोक भय अर्दितम् || २-६४-३४
34. putra = O son!; kaH = who; snaatva = after taking bath; upaasyaiva = after worshipping;sandhyaam = the goddess of dawn; hutahutaa shanaH = and offering oblations in fire; upasiinaH = sitting beside me; shlaaghayishhyati = and talking confidently; maam = looking at me; shoka bhayaarthidam = as I was afflicted with grief and fear?"
"O, son! Who after taking bath, worshipping the goddess of dawn, and offering oblations in fire, will be sitting beside me and talking confidently looking at me, as I was afflicted with grief and fear?"
कन्द मूल फलम् हृत्वा को माम् प्रियम् इव अतिथिम् |
भोजयिष्यति अकर्मण्यम् अप्रग्रहम् अनायकम् || २-६४-३५
35. kaH = who; bhojayishhyati = will feed; maam = me; atithimiva = like a guest; priyam = who is beloved; kandamuulaphalam = roots and fruits; akarmaNyam = while I am without any work; apragraham = without fetching anything; anaayakam = without having any guide making me to walk".
"Who will feed me, like a beloved guest is fed, with roots and fruits while I am sitting without any work, without fetching anything and without having any guide making me to walk?"
इमाम् अन्धाम् च वृद्धाम् च मातरम् ते तपस्विनीम् |
कथम् पुत्र भरिष्यामि कृपणाम् पुत्र गर्धिनीम् || २-६४-३६
36. vatsa = O; delicate youth!; katham = how; bharishhyaami = can I support; imaam = this; te maataram = your mother; andhaam = who is blind; vR^iddhaam = aged; tapasviniim = in a pitiable condition; kR^ipaaNaam = a poor woman; putragardhiniim = longing for her son?"
O, delicate youth! How can I support your mother, who is blind, aged and a poor woman in a pitiable condition, longing for her son?"
तिष्ठ मा मा गमः पुत्र यमस्य सदनम् प्रति |
श्वो मया सह गन्ता असि जनन्या च समेधितः || २-६४-३७
37. putraa = O; son! TishhTha = come to a halt! maa maa gamaH = do not go; sadanamprati = towards the house; yamasya = of Yama; gantaasi = you can go; shvaH = tomorrow; samedhitaH = along with; mayaa = me; jananyaa sahacha = and with your mother."
"O, son! Come to a halt. Do not go to Yama's abode. You can proceed tomorrow with me and with your mother."
उभाव् अपि च शोक आर्ताव् अनाथौ कृपणौ वने |
क्षिप्रम् एव गमिष्यावः त्वया हीनौ यम क्षयम् || २-६४-३८
38. ubhaavapicha = both of us; hiinou = bereft; tvayaa = of you; bhokaartou = and afflicted with grief; anaathou = without any protector; vane = in the forest; kR^ipaNou = and poor; gamishhyaavaH = will go; yamakshhayam = to the abode of Yama."
"Bereft of you, afflicted with grief, without any protection in the forest and poor, both of us also will come soon along with you to Yama's abode."
ततः वैवस्वतम् दृष्ट्वा तम् प्रवक्ष्यामि भारतीम् |
क्षमताम् धर्म राजो मे बिभृयात् पितराव् अयम् || २-६४-३९
39. tataH = Thereafter; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; vaivasvatam = Yama; pravakshhyaami = I shall tell; bhaaratiim = these words; tam = to him; dharmaraaja = O; Yama! Kshhamataam = excuse; me = me; ayam = let him; bibhR^iyaat = nourish; pitaram = his parents."
"Thereafter, seeing Yama, I shall tell these words to him. �O, Yama! Excuse me. Let this boy nourish his parents.' "
दातुमर्हति धर्मात्मा लोकपालो महायशाः |
ईदृषस्य ममाक्षय्या मेकामभयदक्षिणाम् || २-६४-४०
40. lokapaalaH = Yama; the guardian of the world; mahaayashaaH = the most glorious; dharmaatmaa = high-souled; arhati = is worthy; datum = to give; mama = me; indR^ishasya = in this condition; ekaam = this solitary; akshhayaam = imperishable; abhaya dakshhiNaam = reward in the form of fearless-ness."
"The most glorious and high souled Yama, the guardian of the world will be obliged to give this solitary imperishable boon in the form of fearlessness to me, who is in such a condition."
अपापो असि यथा पुत्र निहतः पाप कर्मणा |
तेन सत्येन गच्च आशु ये लोकाः शस्त्र योधिनाम् || २-६४-४१
41. putra = O; son!; nihataH = you were killed; paapakarmaNaa = by this criminal; yathaa = how; asi = you were; apaapaH = without a sin; tena satyena = by that truth; gachchha = obtain; ashu = soon; ye = which; lokaaH = realms; astra yodhinaam = obtained by those who die fighting with weapons."
"O, son! This criminal killed you. As it is true that you were sinless, you will soon obtain the realms as reached by those who die fighting with weapons."
यान्ति शूरा गतिम् याम् च सम्ग्रामेष्व् अनिवर्तिनः |
हताः तु अभिमुखाः पुत्र गतिम् ताम् परमाम् व्रज || २-६४-४२
42. putra = O; son! vraja = Move on.; taam = to such; paramaam = a highest; gatim = state; yaam = which; gatim = state; yaanti = is obtained; shuraaH = by the warriors; samgraameshhu = in battles; anivartinaH = who do not return; hataastu = which being killed; abhimukhaaH = from the direction facing their enemies."
"O, son! Move on to that which is the highest state, which is obtained by the warriors, who do not return even while being killed, from the direction facing their enemies in battles."
याम् गतिम् सगरः शैब्यो दिलीपो जनमेजयः |
नहुषो धुन्धुमारः च प्राप्ताः ताम् गच्च पुत्रक || २-६४-४३
43. gachchha = Obtain; taam = that; gatim = destiny; yaam = which; praaptaaH = was obtained by; sagaraH = Sagara; shaibyaH = Saibya; diliipaH = Dilipa; janamejayaH = Jenamejeya; nahushhaH = Nahusha; dundumaarashcha = and Dundumara."
"Obtain the destiny which was obtained by Sagara, Saibya, Dilipa, Janamejeya, Nahusha and Dundumara."
या गतिः सर्व साधूनाम् स्वाध्यायात् पतसः च या |
भूमिदस्य आहित अग्नेः चएक पत्नी व्रतस्य च || २-६४-४४
गो सहस्र प्रदातृऋणाम् या या गुरुभृताम् अपि |
देह न्यास कृताम् या च ताम् गतिम् गच्च पुत्रक || २-६४-४५
44; 45. putraka = O;son! gachchha = get to; taam gatim = that destiny; yaa = which; gatiH = state is obtained; sarvasaadhuunaam = by all the sages; yaa = which; gatiH = state is obtained; svaadhyaayaat = by the study of scriptures; yaa = which is obtained; tapasaacha = by austerity; bhuumidasya = by those who gift land; ahitaagneH = by him who has maintained sacred fire; ekapatniivratasyaacha = who has taken a vow of marrying a single wife; yaa = which is obtained; gosahasrapradaa tri^iNaam = who gifts a thousand cows; yaa = which is obtained; gurubhR^itaamapi = by those who are owed to the service of their preceptor; yaa = :which is obtained; dehanyaasakR^itaam = by those who have abandoned their body(by journeying to Himalayas or drowning themselves in water or leaping into the flames)
"O, son! Obtain that destiny, which is obtained by all the sages, by those who studied scriptures, by an act of austerity, by a gift of the land, by him who has maintained sacred fire, who has taken a vow of marrying a single wife, who gifts a thousand cows, who are owed to the service of the preceptor and that which is obtained by those who have abandoned their body (by journeying to Himalayan Mountains, or drowning themselves in water or leaping into the flames)"
न हि तु अस्मिन् कुले जातः गच्चति अकुशलाम् गतिम् |
स तु यास्यति येन त्वम् निहतो मम बान्धवः || २-६४-४६
46. jaataH = the one born; asmin = in this; kule = race; na gachchhati hi = will not obtain; akushalaam = an unsafe; gatim = destiny; tu = but; yena = by whom; tvam = you; mama = my; baandhavaH = kinsman; nihataH = was killed; saH = he; yaasyati = will obtain; (that unsafe destiny.)"
"The one born in the race of sages will not obtain an unsafe destiny. The person, who killed you, my son, will obtain that bad destiny."
एवम् स कृपणम् तत्र पर्यदेवयत असकृत् |
ततः अस्मै कर्तुम् उदकम् प्रवृत्तः सह भार्यया || २-६४-४७
47. evam = thus; saH = that sage; paryadevayata = wept; asakR^it = repeatedly; tatra = there; kR^ipaNam = pitiably; tataH = then; asya = of him; bhaaryayaa saha = along with his wife; pravR^ittaH = started; udakam kartum = doing ceremony of offering water to his demised son."
"Thus, that sage repeatedly wept there pitiably. Then he, along with his wife, started doing the ceremony of offering water to his demised son."
स तु दिव्येन रूपेण मुनि पुत्रः स्व कर्मभिः |
स्वर्गमाध्यारुहत् ख्षिप्रम् शक्रेण सह खर्मवित् || २-६४-४८
48. saH dharmavit = that pious; muniputrastu = son of the sage on his part; adhyaaruuhat = ascended; kshhipram = soon; svargam = the Heaven; divyena = with wonderful; ruupeNa = form; shakreNa saha = along with Indra(the king of celestials); svakarmabhiH = by his own pious acts."
"The pious son of the sage on his part, soon ascended the Heaven, wearing a wonderful form along with Indra (the king of celestials) as a result of his own pious acts."
आबभाषे च वृद्धौ तौ सह शक्रेण तापसः |
आश्वास्य च मुहूर्तम् तु पितरौ वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || २-६४-४९
49. saH taapasaH = that sage; saha shakreNa = who was together with Indra; aabhabhaashheecha = talked; tou = with those; vR^iddhou = aged parents; aashvaasya = consoling; pitarou = the parents; muhuurtam = for a while; abraviit = (he) spoke; vaakyam = these words:-
"That son of the sage who was together with Indra, talked to his parents. Consoling his parents for a while, he spoke the following words."
स्थानम् अस्मि महत् प्राप्तः भवतोह् परिचारणात् |
भवन्ताव् अपि च क्षिप्रम् मम मूलम् उपैष्यतः || २-६४-५०
50. praaptaH asmi = I obtained; mahat = the supreme; sthaanam = position; parichaaraNaat = because of my service; bhavatoH = to both of you; bhavatou apicha = you will also; upaishhyataH = obtain; kshhipram = soon; mama = my; muulam = vicinity."
"I obtained the supreme state because of my service to both of you. You will also obtain soon my vicinity."
एवम् उक्त्वा तु दिव्येन विमानेन वपुष्मता |
आरुरोह दिवम् क्षिप्रम् मुनि पुत्रः जित इन्द्रियः || २-६४-५१
51. muniputraH = the son of the sage; jitendriyaH = whose senses were subdued; uktvaa = spoke; evam = thus; vimaanena = by an aero plane;divyena = which was wonderful; vapushhmataa = having a beautiful form; kshhipram = quickly; aaruruha = ascended; divam = heaven."
"The son of the sage, whose senses were subdued, thus spoke and by a wonderful aero plane with beautiful form, quickly reached Heaven."
स कृत्वा तु उदकम् तूर्णम् तापसः सह भार्यया |
माम् उवाच महा तेजाः कृत अन्जलिम् उपस्थितम् || २-६४-५२
52. saH taapasaH = that ascetic; mahaatejaaH = with great splendor; bhaaryayaa saha = along with his wife; tuurNam = soon; udakam kR^itvaa = performred the ceremony offering water to his dead son; uvaacha = and spoke; maam = to me; upasthitam = who was standing near him; kR^itaaNjalim = with folded hands."
"That ascetic with great splendor along with his wife soon performed the ceremony offering water to his dead son and spoke to me, who was standing near him with folded hands."
अद्य एव जहि माम् राजन् मरणे न अस्ति मे व्यथा |
यत् शरेण एक पुत्रम् माम् त्वम् अकार्षीर् अपुत्रकम् || २-६४-५३
53. raajan = O;king! Tvam = you; yat = for which reason; akaarshhii = have made; maam = me; ekaputram = who had only one son; aputram = without a son; shareNa = by an arrow; jahi = kill; maam = me; adyaiva = now itself; naasti = there is no; vyathaa = fear; maraNe = about death; me = to me."
"O, king! You have made me, without a son, by killing my one and the only one son, by an arrow. You kill me also now. I am not frightened about death."
त्वया तु यद् अविज्ञानान् निहतः मे सुतः शुचिः |
तेन त्वाम् अभिशप्स्यामि सुदुह्खम् अतिदारुणम् || २-६४-५४
54. yat = for which reason; me = my; shuchiH = was killed; tvayaa = by you; aviG^yaanaat = through ignorance; tena = for that reason; abhishapsyaami = I shall curse; suduHkham = most painful; atidaaruNam = and very cruel; tvam = (on) you."
"Since you have killed my holy son through ignorance, I shall pronounce a most painful and very cruel curse on you."
पुत्र व्यसनजम् दुह्खम् यद् एतन् मम साम्प्रतम् |
एवम् त्वम् पुत्र शोकेन राजन् कालम् करिष्यसि || २-६४-५५
55. yat: = which;etat = this;duHkham = agony; putravyasanam = caused by the loss of my son;saampratam = at present; raajan = O; king; tvam = you; kaalam karishhyati = will die; putrashokena = by the loss of your son"
"O, king! Even as I am suffering from agony now because of the loss of my son, in the same manner; you will also die due to agony caused by the loss of your son."
अज्ञानात्तु हतो यस्मात् क्षत्रियेण त्वया मुनिः |
तस्मात्त्वाम् नाविशत्याशु ब्रह्महत्या नराधिप || २-६४-५६
56. naraadhipa = O; king! Yasmaat = from; which cause; muniH = the sage; hataH = was killed; tvayaa = by you; kshhatriyeNa = the warrior; aG^yaanaat = by ignorance; tasmaat = from that; brahmahatyaa = the sin of killing a Brahmin; na avishati = will not take possession; aashu = quickly; tvaam = of you."
"O, king! Since the sage was killed by you, belonging to the warrior class, through ignorance, the son of killing a Brahmin will not take possession of you."
त्वामप्येतादृशो भावः क्षिप्रमेव गमिष्यति |
जीवितान्तकरो घोरो दातारमिव दक्षिणा || २-६४-५७
57. bhaavaH = a feeing; etatR^ishaH = similar to this; jiivitaantakaraH = which makes life extinct; ghoraH = and awful; kshhiprameva = will indeed quickly; gamishhyati = come; tvampi = to you too; daataaram iva = as a merit accrues to a donor; dakshhiNaa = of a donation to the priest."
"A feeling similar to this, which makes the life awful and extinct, will indeed quickly come to you, even as a merit accrues to the donor of a donation to the priest."
एवम् शापम् मयि न्यस्य विलप्य करुणम् बहु |
चितामारोप्य देहम् तन्मिथुनम् स्वर्गमभ्ययात् || २-६४-५८
58. nyasya = pronouncing; shhaapam = the curse; evam = thus; tat = that; mithunam = couple; bahuvilapya = wept many times; karuNam = pitiably; aaropya = placed; deham = their body; chitaam = on the funeral pile; abhyaat = and proceeded; svargam = to heaven."
"Pronouncing the curse thus on me, that couple wept many times pitiably, placed their body on the funeral pile and proceeded to heaven."
तदेतच्चिन्तयानेन स्मऋतम् पापम् मया स्वयम् |
तदा बाल्यात्कृतम् देवि शब्दवेध्यनुकर्षिणा || २-६४-५९
59. devi = O; Kausalya! Tat = such; etat = of this; paapam = sin; kR^itam = committed; baalyaat = through ignorance; svayam = myself; tadaa = then; shabdavedhyanukashhaNaa = by invoking an arrow and hitting an invisible object the sound of which was only heard; smR^itam = is remembered by me; chintayaanena = on reflection."
"O, Kausalya! The sin I myself committed through ignorance on that day, by invoking an arrow and hitting an invisible object the sound of which was heard, I remember it now on reflection over it."
तस्यायम् कर्मणो देवि विपाकः समुपस्थितः |
अपथ्यैः सह सम्भुक्ते व्याधिरन्नरसे यथा || २-६४-६०
60. devi = O; Queen! VyaathiH yathaa = as a disease (comes); sambhukte sati = after eating; annarase = a nutriment; apathyaiH saha = mixed with forbidden things; ayam vipaakaH = this result; samupasthitaH = came; tasya karmaNaH = of that (sinful) act."
"O, Kausalya! As a disease comes sometime after eating a nutriment mixed with forbidden things, this present occurrence came as a result of the sinful act by me long ago."
तस्मान् माम् आगतम् भद्रे तस्य उदारस्य तत् वचः |
यद् अहम् पुत्र शोकेन सम्त्यक्ष्याम्य् अद्य जीवितम् || २-६४-६१
61. bhadre = my dear lady! Tat vachaH = that word; tasya = of that sage; udaarasya = who was noble; aham yat samtyakshhyaami = that I shall give up; jiivitam = my life; putrashokena = due to grief for the loss of my son; aagatam = has come ( true); mama = to me; adya = now."
"O, my dear lady! Those words of that noble sage, saying that I shall give up my life due to grief for the loss of my son, have come true to me now."
चक्षुर्भ्याम् त्वाम् न पश्यामि कौसल्ये साधु मांस्फृश |
इत्युक्त्वा स रुदंस्त्रस्तो भार्यामाह च भूमिपः || २-६४-६२
62. kausalye = O; Kausalya! na pashyaami = I am not able to see; tvaam = you; chakshhubhyaam = with my eyes.spR^isha = touch; maam = me; saadhu = well; iti = thus; uktvaa = spoke; bhuumipaH = king Dasaratha; trasto = terribly; rudan = weeping; ahacha = and again said; bhaaryaam = to his wife:
"O, Kausalya! I am not able to see you with my eyes. Touch me well" Thus speaking, King Dasaratha, terribly weeping said to his wife as follows:
एतन्मे सदृशम् देवि यन्मया राघवे कृतम् |
सदृशम् तत्तु तस्यैव यदनेन कृतम् मयि || २-६४-६३
63. devi = O; queen!; yat = that which; kR^itam = was done; mayaa = by me; raaghave = in respect of Rama; na sadR^isham = was not befitting of me; yat = That which; kR^itam = was done; anena = by Rama; mayi = in my case; tattu = that then; sadR^isham = was befitting; tasyaiva = to him only."
"O, queen! The wrong that was done by me in respect of Rama was not befitting of me. But the good that was done by Rama in my case was worthy only of him."
दुर्वृत्तमपि कः पुत्रम् त्यजेद्भुवि विचक्षणः |
कश्च प्रव्राज्यमानो वा नासूयेत्पितरम् सुतः || २-६४-६४
64. kaH = which; vichakshhaNaH = wise man; bhuvi = in this world; tyajet = can abandon; putram = his son; durvR^ittamapi = even if; of a bad conduct? KaH = which; sutaH = son; pravraajyamano api = even if he is sent to exile; naasuuyet = cannot become angry; pitaram = with his father? "
"Which wise man on this earth can abandon his son, even if he is of a bad conduct? Which son, even if he is sent to an exile, cannot become angry with his father?"
यदि माम् संस्पृशेद् रामः सकृदद्य लभेत वा |
यमक्षयमनुप्राप्ता द्रक्ष्यन्ति न हि मानवाः || २-६४-६५
65. raamaH = can Rama; adya = now; samspR^ishet = touch; maam = me; sakR^it = forthwith? labhetavaa = or can approach me ? maanavaaH = Men; anupraaptaaH = who attained; yamakshhayam = the world of Yama; na drakshhyanti hi = cannot indeed see their kith and kin."
"Can Rama now touch me or approach me forth with? Men who attained the world of Yama (god of death) cannot even see their kith and kin."
चक्षुषा त्वाम् न पश्यामि स्मृतिर् मम विलुप्यते |
दूता वैवस्वतस्य एते कौसल्ये त्वरयन्ति माम् || २-६४-६६
66. kausalye = O; Kausalya! na pashyaami = I am not able to see; tvaam = you; chakshhushhaa = with my eyes; mama = My; smR^itiH = memory; vilupyate = is fading away; ete duutaaH = these messengers; vai vasvatasya = of Yama; tvarayanti = are hastening; maam = me.
"O, Kausalya! I am not able to see you with my eyes. My memory- power is fading away. Messengers of Yama (god of death) are hastening me to come."
अतः तु किम् दुह्खतरम् यद् अहम् जीवित क्षये |
न हि पश्यामि धर्मज्ञम् रामम् सत्य पराक्यमम् || २-६४-६७
67. kimnu = what are be; duHkhataram = more sorrowful; ataH = than = aham na pashyaami hi itiyat = that thus I am not able to see; raamam = Rama; dharmajJNam = who knows righteousness; satyaparaakramam = who is a truly brave man; jiivitakehhaya = at the time of my death?"
"What can be more sorrowful than the fact I am not able to see Rama, who knows righteousness and who is a truly brave man, at the time of my death?"
तस्यादर्शनजः शोकः सुतस्याप्रतिकर्मणः |
उच्चोषयति मे प्राणान्वारि स्तोकमिवातवः || २-६४-६८
68. shokaH = the grief; adarshanajaH = arising out of non-appearance;tasya sutasya = of that son; apratikramaNaH = who performs unparalleled actions.; uchchhshhoyati = is drying up; prapaaNan = my lives; aatapaH iva = as sun shine(dries up)stokam vaari = a water drop."
"The grief arising out of non-appearance of that son, who performs unparalleled actions, is parching up my life, as sun- shine dries up a water drop"
न ते मनुष्या देवाः ते ये चारु शुभ कुण्डलम् |
मुखम् द्रक्ष्यन्ति रामस्य वर्षे पन्च दशे पुनः || २-६४-६९
69. ye = who; punaH = will again; drakshhyanti = see; paNchadashevarshhe = in the fifteenth year; chaaru = the lovely; mukham = face; raamasya = of Rama; subhakuNdalam = with hand some ear-rings; te = they; na manushhyaa = are not humans; devaaH = but celestials."
"They are not humans but celestials, who will be able to see again in the fifteenth year, the beautiful face of Rama, wearing his handsome ear-rings."
पद्म पत्र ईक्षणम् सुभ्रु सुदम्ष्ट्रम् चारु नासिकम् |
धन्या द्रक्ष्यन्ति रामस्य तारा अधिप निभम् मुखम् || २-६४-७०
70. dhanyaaH = the fortunate; drakshhyanti = can see; mukham = the face; raamasya = of Rama; padmapatrekshhaNam = with its eyes resembling lotus leaves; subhruH = with its beautiful eye brows; sudamshhTram = with its comely row of teeth; chaarunaasikam = charming nose; taaraadhipanibham = looking like a moon."
"The fortunate can see the face of Rama, looking like a moon, with its eyes resembling lotus leaves, with beautiful eye brows, with a comely row of teeth and a charming nose."
सदृशम् शारदस्य इन्दोह् फुल्लस्य कमलस्य च |
सुगन्धि मम नाथस्य धन्या द्रक्ष्यन्ति तन् मुखम् || २-६४-७१
71. dhanyaaH = fortunate (are they); yaH = who; drakshhyanti = can see; mukham = the face; raamasya = of Rama; sadR^isham = resembling; shaaradasya = the autumnal; indoH = moon; sugandhi = sweat-smelling; phullasya kamalasya cha = and also resembling a full- blown lotus."
"Fortunate are they, who can see the sweat smelling face of Rama, resembling the autumnal moon and also a full- blown lotus."
निवृत्त वन वासम् तम् अयोध्याम् पुनर् आगतम् |
द्रक्ष्यन्ति सुखिनो रामम् शुक्रम् मार्ग गतम् यथा || २-६४-७२
72. sukhinaH = happy ones; drakshhyanti = can see; raamam = Rama; nivR^itta vanavaasam = having finished his exile; aagatam = and come; punaH = back; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; shukram yathaa = like the planet Venus; maarga gatam = coming from a journey."
"Happy ones can see Rama, who having finished his exile, will come to Ayodhya like the planet Venus coming from a journey."
कौसल्ये चित्त मोहेन हृदयम् सीदतीव मे |
वेदये न च समुक्तान् शब्दस्पर्शरसानहम् || २-६४-७३
73. kausalye = O; Kausalya! me hR^idayam = my heart; siidatiiva = is sinking down; chittamohena = by delution of mind; aham = I; na chavadaye = am not able to grasp; samyuktaam = related; shabdasparsha rasaam = the sound touch and the smell."
"O, Kausalya! My heart is sinking down by delusion of mind. I am not able to grasp the related sound, touch and the smell."
चित्तनाशाद्विपद्यन्ते सर्वाण्येवेन्द्रियाणि मे |
क्षिणस्नेहस्य दीपस्य संसक्ता रश्मयो यथा || २-६४-७४
74. sarvaaNyeva = all of; me = my; indriyaaNi = senses; vipadyante = are scared away; chitta naashaat = due to mental break down; rashmayaH yathaa = like rays of light; diipasya = of a lamp; kshhiiNa snehasya = whose oil is exhausted; samsaktaaH = starts stammering."
"All of my senses are getting scared away due to mental break down, as rays of light of a lamp whose oil is exhausted, starts splattering."
अयम् आत्म भवः शोको माम् अनाथम् अचेतनम् |
संसादयति वेगेन यथा कूलम् नदी रयः || २-६४-७५
75. ayam = this; shokaH = grief; aatmabhaveH = which is caused by my own self;samsaadayati = is collapsing; maam = me; anaatham = who am helpless; achetanam = and invisible; kuulam yathaa = like a river bank(being collapsed ); vegena = by the floods; nadiirayaH = of a river stream."
"This grief caused by my own self is collapsing me, who am helpless and insensible, like a river bank being collapsed by the floods of a river stream."
हा राघव महा बाहो हा मम आयास नाशन |
हा पितृप्रिय मे नाथ हाद्य क्वासि गतः सुत || २-६४-७६
76. kva = where; gataH asi = have you gone? Mahaabaaho = O;mighty armed! Haa raaghava = O; Rama! Mama aayasenaashana = O; annihilator of my grief! Haa = Alas!; haa pitR^ipriya = O; darling of your father! Me naatha = O;my protector!; haa suta = O; my son!"
"O, mighty armed! O, Rama! O, annihilator of my grief! Alas! O, darling of your father! O, my protector! O, my son! Where have you gone?"
हा कौसल्ये नशिष्यामि हा सुमित्रे तपस्विनि |
हा नृशंसे ममामित्रे कैकेयि कुलपांसनि || २-६४-७७
77. haa kauslye = O; Kausalya! haa sumitre = O;Sumitra! Tapasvini = the miserable! Haa = alas; Kaikeyi = Kaikeyi! O; Kaikeyi! NR^ishamse = cruel one! Amitro = my enemy! Kulapaamsani = the disgrace of my family! Nashishhyaami = I am dying!"
"O, Kausalya! O, Sumitra, the miserable! Alas! O, Kaikeyi, the cruel one! My enemy! The disgrace of my family! I am going to die."
इति रामस्य मातुश्च सुमित्रायाश्च सन्निधौ |
राजा दशरथः शोचन् जीवित अन्तम् उपागमत् || २-६४-७८
78. iti = in this manner; raajaa = the king; dasharathaH = Dasaratha;iti = thus; sochan = weeping; upaagamat = reached jiivitaantam = the end of his life; sannidhou = in the presence; raamasya maatasya = of Rama`s mother; sumitraayaaHcha = and Sumitra.
In this manner, King Dasaratha weeping as aforesaid, reached the end of his life in the presence of Kausalya and Sumitra.
यथा तु दीनम् कथयन् नर अधिपः |
प्रियस्य पुत्रस्य विवासन आतुरः |
गते अर्ध रात्रे भृश दुह्ख पीडितः |
तदा जहौ प्राणम् उदार दर्शनः || २-६४-७९
79. naraadhipaH = king Dasaratha; udaara darshanaH = of noble appearance; kathayan = thus speaking; diinam = miserable and distressed ; putrasya vivaasanaaturaH = for sending his son to exile; gate artharaatre = by the time the mid-night passed; yadaa = when; bhR^ishaduHkha piiDitaH = stricken with extreme grief; jahou = abandoned; praaNam = his life; tadaa = then.
King Dasaratha of noble appearance, thus speaking, who was already miserable and distressed for sending his son to exile, felt afflicted with extreme grief by the time the mid- night passed and forthwith abandoned his life.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे चतुःषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2003, K. M. K. Murthy