With the concurrence of Markandeya and other sages, Vasistha instructs messengers to call back Bharata and Satrughna from their maternal uncle's house. The messengers leave immediately for the capital of Kekaya, riding their fast horses. They cross Ganga River at Hastinapura, then Saranda River and reach Abhikala village. Then, they cross the holy river of Ikshumati and proceed through Bahlika kingdom in Sudama mountain range to Vishnupada and finally reach the city of Girivraja.
तेषाम् तत् वचनम् श्रुत्वा वसिष्ठः प्रत्युवाच ह |
मित्र अमात्य गणान् सर्वान् ब्राह्मणांस् तान् इदम् वचः || २-६८-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; teshaam = their; vachanam = words; vasishhTaH = Vasishta; pratyuvaachaha = replied; idam vachaH = by the words; taan = to that; mitra amaatyagaNaam = group of friends and ministers; sarvaan brahmaNaan = and to all the Brahmans.
Hearing their words, Vasistha replied thus to that group of friends as well as ministers and to all the Brahmans (assembled there):
यद् असौ मातुल कुले पुरे राज गृहे सुखी |
भरतः वसति भ्रात्रा शत्रुघ्नेन समन्वितः || २-६८-२
तत् शीघ्रम् जवना दूता गच्चन्तु त्वरितैः हयैः |
आनेतुम् भ्रातरौ वीरौ किम् समीक्षामहे वयम् || २-६८-३
2; 3. asou bharataH = that Bharata; datta raajya = who was given kingdom (by Dasaratha); samanvitaH = together; shatrughnena = with Satrughna; yat = for which reason; vasati = staying; param = as a very; sukhii = happy man; maatulakule = in his maternal uncle's house; tat = for that reason; anetum = to bring back; viirou = the heroic; bhraatarou = brothers; duutaH = messengers; tvaritaiH = by fast running; hayaiH = horses; gachchhantu = be gone; shiighram = quickly; kim = what; vayam = are we; samiikshhaamahe = to think of(in this matter)?"
"Bharata, who was given kingdom (by Dasaratha) is staying very happily in his maternal uncle's home, along with Satrughna. Hence messengers in fast running horses are to be sent quickly to bring back those heroic brothers. What are we to think of further in this matter?"
गच्चन्तु इति ततः सर्वे वसिष्ठम् वाक्यम् अब्रुवन् |
तेषाम् तत् वचनम् श्रुत्वा वसिष्ठो वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || २-६८-४
4. tataH = then; sarve = all of them; abruvan = uttered; vaakyam = the words; vasishhTham = to Vasista; iti = saying; gachchantu = "Let them be sent"; shrutvaa = Hearing; tat = those; vachanam = words; teshhaam = of theirs; vasishhThaH = Vasishta; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = these words:
Then all of them uttered words agreeing to send the messengers quickly. Hearing their words, Vasistha spoke as follows:
एहि सिद्ध अर्थ विजय जयन्त अशोक नन्दन |
श्रूयताम् इतिकर्तव्यम् सर्वान् एव ब्रवीमि वः || २-६८-५
5. siddhaartha = O; Siddhartha! Vijaya = O;Vijaya! Jayanta = O; Jayanta! Asoka = O; Asoka! Nandana = O; Nandana! Ehi = please come; aham = I; braviimi = am telling; vaH = you; sarvaanena = all; shruuyataam = Hear; itikartavyam = that which is to be done."
"O, Siddhartha! O, Jay anta! O, Vijaya! O, Ashoka! O, Nandana! Please come. I am telling you all. Hear that which is to be done"
पुरम् राज गृहम् गत्वा शीघ्रम् शीघ्र जवैः हयैः |
त्यक्त शोकैः इदम् वाच्यः शासनात् भरतः मम || २-६८-६
6. gatvaa = after hearing; shiighram = quickly; itaH = from here; shiigra javaiH = by rapidly running; hayaiH = horses; puram = the city; raajagR^iham = of Rajagriha; tvakta shokaiH = by you; whose grief is relieved; vaachyaH = are to be told; bharataH = to Bharata; idam = those words; mama = as my; shaashanaat = orders."
"After starting quickly from here by traveling in rapidly running horses, you reach the city of Rajagriha. After relieving yourself of the grief, you have to tell Bharata these words as my orders:"
पुरोहितः त्वाम् कुशलम् प्राह सर्वे च मन्त्रिणः |
त्वरमाणः च निर्याहि कृत्यम् आत्ययिकम् त्वया || २-६८-७
7. purohitaH = the royal priests; sarve = and all; mantrinashcha = the ministers; praaha = are asking; kushalam = about your welfare; niryaahi = come forth by starting; tvaramaaNaHcha = quickly; atyaayikam = there is a very urgent; kR^ityam = work; tvayaa = with you."
"The royal priest and other ministers are asking about your welfare. Come forth, by starting quickly. There is a very urgent work with you."
मा च अस्मै प्रोषितम् रामम् मा च अस्मै पितरम् मृतम् |
भवन्तः शंसिषुर् गत्वा राघवाणाम् इमम् क्षयम् || २-६८-८
8. gatvaa = after going; bhavantaH = you; maa shamsishhuH = do not tell; asmai = him; raamam = that Rama; proshhitam = has gone to exile; pitaram = that his father; mR^itam = is dead; imam = and this; kshhayam = calamity; raaghavaaNaam = to the descendents Raghu dynasty."
"After going there, do not tell him that Rama has gone to exile or that his father is dead or about this calamity occurred to the descendents of Raghu dynasty."
कौशेयानि च वस्त्राणि भूषणानि वराणि च |
क्षिप्रम् आदाय राज्ञः च भरतस्य च गच्चत || २-६८-९
9. gachchhata = go; kshhipram = quickly; aadaaya = taking; kausheyaani vastraaNi = silk clothes; varaaNi = and excellent; bhuushhaNaani = ornaments; raaj^Nashcha = to the king; bharatasya = and to Bharata."
"Go quickly, taking silk clothes and excellent ornaments to the king and to Bharata "
दत्तपथ्यशना दूताजग्मुः स्वम् स्वम् निवेशनम् |
केकयांस्ते गमिष्यन्तो हयानारुह्य सम्मतान् || २-६८-१०
10. te duutaH = those messengers; gamishhyantaH = who are going to leave for; kekayaan = the land of Kekayas; datta pathyashanaaH = being given eatables required on their way; aaruuhya = mounting; sammataan = admirable; hayaan = horses; jagmhuH = went; svam svam = to their respective; niveshanam = house.
The messengers, who are going to leave for the land of Kekayas, took sufficient eatables required on their way and went to their respective houses, by riding on their admirable horses.
ततः प्रास्थानिकम् कृत्वा कार्यशेषमनन्तरम् |
वसिष्ठेनाभ्यनुज्ञाता दूताः सम्त्वरिता ययुः || २-६८-११
11. tataH = then; duutaaH = the messengers; kR^itvaa = having executed; kaarya seshham = remaining deeds; anantaram = to be done thereafter; prastaanikam = for the journey; abhyaanuG^yaataaH = and having been given permission; vasishhThena = by Vasista; yayuH = proceeded; samtvaritaa = quickly.
Having completed all the remaining preparations for the journey and having been permitted by Vasistha, the messengers quickly proceeded (to the destination).
न्यन्तेनापरतालस्य प्रलम्बस्योत्तरम् प्रति |
निषेवमाणास्ते जग्मुर्नदीम् मध्येन मालिनीम् || २-६८-१२
12. te = those messengers; jugmuH = went on; nishhevamaaNaaH = touching; maaliniim nadiim = Malini River; madhyena = (flowing)between; nyantena = the passing; aparataalasya = Aparatala Mountain; uttaram prati = and the northern end; pralambasya = of Pralamba Mountain.
Those messengers went on touching Malini River, flowing between the passing Aparatala Mountain and the northern end of Pralamba Mountain.
ते हस्तिनापुरे गङ्गाम् तीर्त्वा प्रत्यङ्मुखा ययुः |
पाञलदेशमासाद्य मध्येन कुरुजाङ्गलम् || २-६८-१३
सरांसि च सुपूर्णानि नदीश्च विमलोदकाः |
निरीक्षमाणास्ते जग्मुर्दूताः कार्यवशाद्द्रुतम् || २-६८-१४
13; 14. te duutaaH = these messengers; tiirtvaa = having crossed; gaNgaam = Ganga River; hastinaapura = at Hastinapura; yayuH = proceeded; pratyaNmukhaaH = towards west; aasaadya = reaching; paanchaala desham = Panchala kingdom; madhyenakurujaaNgalam = passing through the middle of Kurujangala region; niriikshhamaaNaaH = and observing; supuurNaani = well filled; saraamsicha = lakes; nadiishcha = and rivers; vinalodakaaH = with clear water; jagmuH = went; drutam = briskly; kaaryavashaat = due to pressing nature of their mission.
Having crossed Ganga River at Hastinapura, they proceeded towards west and, reaching Panchala kingdom through Kuru Jangala and observing well filled lakes and rivers with clear water, the aforesaid messengers went briskly, due to the pressing nature of their mission.
ते प्रसन्नोदकाम् दिव्याम् नानाविहगसेविताम् |
उपातिजग्मुर्वेगेन शरदण्डाम् जनाकुलाम् || २-६८-१५
15. te = they; vegena = speedily; upaatijagmuH = went crossing; divyaam sharadaNDaam = the beautiful Saradanada river; prasannodakaam = containing clear water; jalaakulam = but also full with water; naanaavihagasevitam = frequented by various kinds of birds.
They speedily moved on, crossing the beautiful Saradanda River, containing clear water frequented by various kinds of birds.
निकूलवृक्षमासाद्य दिव्यम् सत्योपयाचनम् |
अभिगम्याभिवाद्यम् तम् कुलिङ्गाम् प्राविशन् पुरीम् || २-६८-१६
16. aasaadya = reaching; divyam = a holy; nikuula vR^ikshham = coastal tree; satyopayaachanam = called Satyopayaachanam (so called because prayers made to it become fulfilled);abhigamya = and going round clockwise; tam = it; te = the messengers; pravishan = entered; kuliNgaampuriim = the city of Kulinga.
Reaching a holy coastal tree called Satyopayaachana (so called because prayers made to it become fulfilled); which was worthy of salutation and going round it clockwise (as a mark of respect) the messengers entered the city of Kulinga
अभिकालम् ततः प्राप्यते बोधिभवनाच्च्युताम् |
पितृपैतामहीम् पुण्याम् तेरुरिक्षुमतीम् नदीम् || २-६८-१७
17. tataH = from there; praapya = having reached; abhikaalam = a village called Abhikala; te = they; teruH = crossed; puNyaam = the holy; ikshhumatiim = Ikshumati river; chyutaam = which was falling down; bodhibhavanaat = from Bodhibhavana mountain; (which region was) pitR^ipaitaamahiim = associated with the father and grandfather of Dasaratha.
From there having reached a village named Abhikala, they crossed the holy Ikshumati River, which was flowing down from Bodhibhavana Mountain. This region was associated with the father and grandfather of Dasaratha.
अवेक्स्याञ्जलिपानांश्च ब्राह्मणान् वेदपारगान् |
ययुर्मध्येन बाह्लीकान् सुदामानम् च पर्वतम् || २-६८-१८
18. avekshhya = seeing; braahmaNaan = Brahmans; vedapaaragaam = skilled in Vedas ; aNjalipaanaan = who survived by only drinking water through hollows of their palms; yayuH = (they) proceeded; baahlikaanmadhyena = through Bahlika kingdom; parvatamaha = towards a mountain; sudaamaanam = called Sudaman.
Seeing Brahmans skilled in Vedas who survived by only drinking water through hollows of their palms, they proceeded through Bahlika kingdom towards a mountain called Sudama.
विष्णोः पदम् प्रेक्षमाणा विपाशाम् चापि शाल्मालीम् |
नदीर्वापीस्तटाकानि पल्वलानि सरांसि च || २-६८-१९
पस्यन्तो विविधांश्चापि सिमहव्याग्रमृगद्विपान् |
ययुः पथातिमहता शासनम् भर्तुरीप्सवः || २-६८-२०
19; 20. prekshhamaaNaam = perceiving; vishnoHpadam = a locality called Vishnupadam; vipaashaachaapi = Vipasa river; shaalmaliimchaapi = Salmali trees; nadiiH = rivers; vaapiiH = ponds; taTaakaani = lakes; palvalaani = pools; saraamsicha = and lakes; pashyantaH = and seeing;vividhaan = many kinds; simha vyaaghra mR^igadvipaan = of lions; tigers; antelopes; and elephants; yayuH = went; atimahataa pathaa = by that lofty high way; iipsanam = to execute that command; bhartuH = of their master.
Perceiving a locality called Vishnu padam, Vipasa river, Salmali trees, rivers, ponds, tanks, pools and lakes, as well as seeing many kinds of lions, tigers, antelopes and elephants, they proceeded by that broad lofty high way desirous as they were to execute the command of their master.
ते श्रान्त वाहना दूता विकृष्टेन सता पथा |
गिरि व्रजम् पुर वरम् शीघ्रम् आसेदुर् अन्जसा || २-६८-२१
21. te duutah = those messengers; shraanta vaahanaaH = having tired horses; vikR^ishhTena = because of long; pathaa = path; tataH = then; aaseduH = reached; shiighram = quickly; aNjusaa = and safely; puraveram = to the excellent city; girivrajam = of Girivraja.
Those messengers, though riding on tired horses on a long route, reached quickly and safely to the excellent city of Girivraja.
भर्तुः प्रिय अर्थम् कुल रक्षण अर्थम् |
भर्तुः च वंशस्य परिग्रह अर्थम् |
अहेडमानाः त्वरया स्म दूता |
रात्र्याम् तु ते तत् पुरम् एव याताः || २-६८-२२
22. priyaartham = for the sake of fulfilling beloved object; bhartuH = of their master (Vasishta); kula rakshhaNaartham = for the sake of preserving the royal family; parigrahaartham = for the sake of keeping up prestige; vamshasya = of the race; bhartuH = of the sovereign; te duutaaH = those messengers; yaataaH = quickly reached; tat = that; purameva = city; raatrayaam = in the night; aheDamanaaH = respectfully.
For the sake of fulfilling the beloved object of their master (Vasistha), for the sake of preserving the royal family and for keeping up the prestige of the sovereign race, those messengers quickly and respectfully reached that city in the night.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे अष्टषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December 2003, K. M. K. Murthy