Bharata instructs Shatrughna and Guha along with some troops each to search for Rama and Lakshmana in the forest. Bharata, personally, along with his ministers citizens and priests, proceed on foot to some other side of the forest for the search. He goes through the forest for some time. Climbing up a sala tree, Bharata observes a plume of smoke at a distance and conjectures that place as Rama's hermitage. Bharata quickly proceeds with quick steps, along with Guha, to see Rama.
निवेश्य सेनाम् तु विभुः पद्भ्याम् पादवताम् वरः |
अभिगन्तुम् स काकुत्स्थम् इयेष गुरु वर्तकम् || २-९८-१
1. saH = that Bharata; vibhuH = the mighty; varaH = and the excellent; paadavataam = among men (those having feet); niveshya = (after) encamping; senaam = the army; iyeshha = sought; abhigantum = to approach; kaakutthsam = Rama; guruvartakam = who was abiding his; padbhyaam = by foot.
After encamping the army, the mighty Bharata the excellent among men, sought to approach on foot, Rama who was complying with the words of his father.
निविष्ट मात्रे सैन्ये तु यथा उद्देशम् विनीतवत् |
भरतो भ्रातरम् वाक्यम् शत्रुघ्नम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-९८-२
2. niviSTa maatre = Soon after encamping; sainye = the army; viniitavat = in a well-behaved manner; yathoddesham = according to the guidelines; bharataH = Bharata; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; shatrughnam = to Shatrughna.
Soon after encamping the army in a well-behaved manner per the guidelines, Bharata spoke the following words to Shatrughna:
क्षिप्रम् वनम् इदम् सौम्य नर सम्घैः समन्ततः |
लुब्धैः च सहितैर् एभिः त्वम् अन्वेषितुम् अर्हसि || २-९८-३
3. saumyaH = O; gentle brother!; tvam = you; narasaN^ghaiH = along with a troop of men; lubdhaishcha sahitaiH = and along with trackers; arhasi = ought; anveSitum = to search; samantataH = on all sides; idam anam = of this forest.
"O, gentle brother! You, along with a troop of men and trackers, ought to search on all sides of this forest."
गुहो ज्ञातिसहस्रेण शरचापासिधारिणा |
समन्वेषतु काकुत्थ्समस्मिन् परिवृतः स्वयम् || २-९८-४
4. guhaH = (Let) Guha; svayam = himself; samanveSutu = search; kaakutthsau = for Rama and Lakshmana; asmin = in this forest; parivR^itaH = accompanied; j^Naati sahasreNa = by his multitude of kinsmen; shara chaapaasi dhaariNaa = wielding arrows; bows and swords.
"Let Guha search for Rama and Lakshmana in this forest, himself accompanied by a multitude of his kinsmen, duly wielding their bows, arrows and swords."
अमात्यैः सह पौरैश्च गुरुभिश्च द्विजातिभिः |
वनं सर्वं चरिष्यामि पद्भ्यां परिवृतः स्वयम् || २-९८-५
5. svayam = I; too; parivR^itaH = encircled; amaatyaiH saha = along with ministers; parveshcha = citizens; gurubhishcha = priests; dvijaatibhiH = and Brahmanas; chariSyaami = shall move; padbhyaam = by foot; sarvam = in the entire; vanam = forest.
"I too, surrounded by the ministers, citizens, priests and Brahmanas; shall personally go round the entire forest on foot.
यावन् न रामम् द्रक्ष्यामि लक्ष्मणम् वा महा बलम् |
वैदेहीम् वा महा भागाम् न मे शान्तिर् भविष्यति || २-९८-६
6. shaantiH = peace; na bhaviSyati = will not come; me = to me; yaavat = until which time; na drakSyaami = I do not see; raamam = Rama; mahaabalam = the immensely strong; lakSmaNam vaa = Lakshmana or; mahaabhaagam = the illustrious; vaidehiim vaa = Seetha.
"Peace will not be with me until I do not see Rama or the very mighty Lakshmana or the illustrious Seetha."
यावन् न चन्द्र सम्काशम् द्रक्ष्यामि शुभम् आननम् |
भ्रातुः पद्म पलाश अक्षम् न मे शान्तिर् भविष्यति || २-९८-७
7. shaantiH = peace; na bhaviSyati = will not be; me = with me; yaavat = until which time; na drakSyaami = I do not see; shubham = the auspicious; aananam = face; bhraatuH = of my elder brother; chandra samkaasham = resembling the moon; padma palaashakSam = having eyes like lotus = leaves.
"Peace will not be with me until I do not see the auspicious face of my elder brother, resembling the moon and having eyes bearing resemblance to lotus-leaves.
यावन् न चरणौ भ्रातुः पार्थिव व्यन्जन अन्वितौ |
शिरसा धारयिष्यामि न मे शान्तिर् भविष्यति || २-९८-८
8. shaantiH = peace; na bhaviSyati = will not be; me = with me; yaavat = until which time; na dhaarayiSyaami = I do not hold; shirasaa = on my head; charaNau = the soles; bhraatuH = of my elder brother; paarthiva vyaN^janaanvitau = bearubg ritak ubsugbua;
"Peace will nt be with me until I do not hold firmly on my head, the soles of my elder brother, bearing royal insignia.
यावन् राज्ये राज्य अर्हः पितृ पैतामहे स्थितः |
अभिषेक जल क्लिन्नो न मे शान्तिर् भविष्यति || २-९८-९
9. shaantiH = peace; na bhaviSyati = will not be; me = with me; yaavat = until which time; raajyaarhaH = my elder brother eligible for the crown; na sthitaH = is not installed; raajya = in the kingdom; pitR^ipaitaamahe = which was derived from father and grandfather; abhiSeka jalaklinnaH = and consecrated by sprinkling water (on his head).
"Peace will not come to me until my elder brother, who is eligible for the crown, is not installed in the kingdom of Ayodhya, which was derived from our father and grand father and consecrated by sprinkling water on his head (as a symbol of crowing the kingdom)."
सिद्धार्थः खलु सौमित्रिर्यश्चन्द्रविमलोवमम् |
मुखं पश्यति रामस्य राजीवाक्षं महाद्युति || २-९८-१०
10. saumitriH = Lakshmana; yaH = who; pashyati = is seeing; mukham = the face; raamasya = of Rama; mahaa dyuti = having a great luminance; chandra vimalopamam = resembling the bright moon; raajiivakSam = and having lotus = eyes; siddhaarthaH khalu = is indeed an accomplished man.
"Lakshmana, who is seeing regularly the face of Rama having a great luminance resembling the bright moon and having lotus eyes, is indeed an accomplished man."
कृत कृत्या महा भागा वैदेही जनक आत्मजा |
भर्तारम् सागर अन्तायाः पृथिव्या या अनुगग्च्छति || २-९८-११
11. mahaabhaagaa = the illustrious; vaidehii = Seetha; janakaatmajaa = the daughter of Janaka; yaa = who; anugachchhati = is following; (Rama); bhartaaram = the Lord; pR^ithivyaaH = of the earth; saagaraantayaaH = extending to the sea; kR^ita kR^ityaa = has fulfilled her object.
"Seetha, the illustrious daughter of Janaka, who is following the steps of Rama the Lord of the earth extending to the sea, has fulfilled her object."
सुभगः चित्र कूटो असौ गिरि राज उपमो गिरिः |
यस्मिन् वसति काकुत्स्थः कुबेर इव नन्दने || २-९८-१२
12. asau = that; subhagaH = enchanting; chitrakuuTaH giriH = mountain of Chitrakuta; giriraajopamaH = resembles the King of mountains; yasmin = on which; kaakutthsaH = Rama; vasati = is residing; kuberaH iva = as Kubera the Lord of riches; nanadane = is living in the garden of nandana."
"That enchanting mountain of Chitrakuta resembles the King of Mountains on which Rama is residing, as Kubera the Lord of riches is living in the garden of Nandana."
कृत कार्यम् इदम् दुर्गम् वनम् व्याल निषेवितम् |
यद् अध्यास्ते महा तेजा रामः शस्त्रभृताम् वरः || २-९८-१३
13. kR^itakaaryam = Blessed; idam = is this; durgam = dense; vanam = forest; vyaala niSevitam = inhabited by wild animals; yat = where; mahaatejaaH = the great warrior; varaH = the excellent; shastrabhR^itaam = among the wielders of raamaH = Rama; adhyaaste = dwells;
"Blessed is this dense forest, inhabited by wild animals, where Rama, the great warrior and the excellent man among the wielders of weapons, dwells."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्यकाण्डे अष्टनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November 2004, K. M. K. Murthy