Sugreeva informs Rama that Vali could not be appeased in spite of repeated requests as he is resolved to accept Sugreeva as an enemy. Vali banishes Sugreeva from the kingdom with the same thinking.
ततः क्रोध समाविष्टम् सम्रब्धम् तम् उपागतम् |
अहम् प्रसादयान् चक्रे भ्रातरम् हित काम्यया || ४-१०-१
1. tataH aham = then, I; prasaadayaan cakre = begged of him; krodha samaaviSTam = by anger, enveloped; samrabdham = capricious one; upaagatam = who arrived; tam bhraataram = him, brother; hita kaamyayaa = well-being, desiring.
"Then desiring both of our well-being I have begged of my brother who is enveloped in anger and behaving capriciously. [4-10-1]
दिष्ट्या असि कुशली प्राप्तो निहतः च त्वया रिपुः |
अनाथस्य हि मे नाथः त्वम् एको अनाथ नन्दनः || ४-१०-२
2. anaatha aanandanaH = oh, orphan's, delight Rama; diSTyaa tvayaa ripuH nihataH = luckily, by you, enemy, is eliminated; kushalii praaptaH asi = safely, returned, you are; anaathasya me tvam ekaH naathaH = to an orphaned one, to me, you, alone, are the protector.
"Oh, orphan's, delight Rama, I addressed him like this, "Luckily you have eliminated the enemy and returned safely, and to an orphaned one like me you alone are the protector. [4-10-2]
इदम् बहु शलाकम् ते पूर्ण चन्द्रम् इव उदितम् |
छत्रम् स वाल व्यजनम् प्रतीच्छस्व मया धृतम् || ४-१०-३
3. te = to you; mayaa dhR^itam = by me, held; bahu shalaakam = with many, spikes; uditam puurNa candram iva = arisen, full, moon, like; sa vaala vyajanam = with, [accompanying] fur, fans; idam Chatram pratiicChasva = this, [regal] umbrella, you accept.
Let this regal umbrella unfolded like a full moon, with its many of its spikes, and with accompanying fur-fans may please be accepted while I hold it for you. [4-10-3]
आर्तस्य अथ बिला द्वारि स्थितः संवत्सरम् नृप |
दृष्ट्वा च शोणितम् द्वारि बिलात् च अपि समुत्थितम् || ४-१०-४
शोक संविग्न हृदयो भृशम् व्याकुलित इन्द्रियः |
अपिधाय बिल द्वारम् शैल शृङ्गेण तत् तदा || ४-१०-५
तस्मात् देशात् अपाक्रम्य किष्किन्धाम् प्राविशम् पुनः |
4, 5, 6a. nR^ipa = oh, king; aartaH = saddened [I was]; samvatsaram = for one year; bila dvaarii sthitaH = at that, cave's entrance, I stayed; atha bilaat samutthitam shoNitam dvaari dR^iSTvaa = then, from cave, started to flow, blood, at entrance, having seen; shoka samvigna hR^idayaH = sadness, engulfed, with a heart; bhR^isham vyaakulita indriyaH = much, perturbed, senses; tadaa tat bila dvaaram = then, that, cave's, entrance; shaila shringeNa apidhaaya = with a hill, top, having covered; tasmaat deshaat apaakramya = from that, place, moving away; punaH kiSkindhaam praavisham = again, Kishkindha, I entered.
"Saddened I was after staying at the entrance of the cave for one year, oh, king, and on seeing the blood that started to flow from out the cave in the entrance my heart is engulfed in sadness and my senses perturbed very much, and then covering that cave's entrance with a hilltop, and departing from that country, I re-entered Kishkindha. [4-10-4, 5, 6a]
विषादात् इह माम् दृष्ट्वा पौरैः मंत्रिभिर् एव च || ४-१०-६
अभिषिक्तो न कामेन तन्मे क्षन्तुम् त्वम् अर्हसि |
6b, 7a. viSaadaat iha maam dR^iSTvaa = with grief, [on my coming] here, me, on seeing; pouraiH mantribhiH eva ca = citizens, ministers, alike, also; abhishikhtaH = crowned me; na kaamena = not, [at my] desire; tat me kshantum tvam arhasi = therefore, me, to pardon, apt of you.
"On seeing me returning with grief, the citizens and ministers alike crowned me, but that is not at my desire, therefore it is apt of you pardon me. [4-10-6b, 7a]
त्वम् एव राजा मानार्हः सदा च अहम् यथा पुरा || ४-१०-७
राजभावे नियोगः अयम् मम त्वत् विरहात् कृतः |
स अमात्य पौर नगरम् स्थितम् निहत कण्टकम् || ४-१०-८
7b, 8. maanaarhaH raajaa tvam eva = estimable, king, you, alone; aham ca puraa yathaa = I will be, as earlier, as I was; mama ayam raja bhaave niyogaH tvat virahaat kR^itaH = my, this, in kingship, establishment, with your, unavailability, it is done; sa amaatya paura nagaram = with, ministers, citizens, capital; nihata kantakam = eliminated, thorniness; sthitam = is there.
"As an estimable one you alone are the king, and I will be as I was, and establishing me in kingship is owing to your unavailability, but the capital with citizens and ministers is kept up without thorniness. [4-10-7b, 8]
न्यास भूतम् इदम् राज्यम् तव निर्यातयामि अहम् |
मा च रोषम् कृथाः सौम्य मम शत्रु निषूदन|| ४-१०-९
9. nyaasa bhuutam = custodial, one[kingdom]; idam raajyam = this, kingdom; tava = to you; niryaatayaami = returning; aham = I am; shatru niSuudana = oh enemies, eliminator; saumya = oh, gentle one; mama = in my respect; roSam = anger / hostility; maa kR^ithaaH = do not, you make.
"Oh, gentle one, I am now returning this custodial kingdom to you, oh, enemy eliminator, you need not be hostile towards me. [4-10-9]
याचे त्वाम् शिरसा राजन् मया बद्धो अयम् अंजलिः |
बलात् अस्मिन् समागम्य मंत्रिभिः पुर वासिभिः || ४-१०-१०
राजभावे नियुक्तो अहम् शून्य देश जिगीषया |
10, 11a. raajan = oh king; shirasaa tvaam yaace = with head bowed, you, I beg; mayaa ayam anjaliH baddhaH = by me, this, [prayerful] palm-fold, is made; mantribhiH pura vaasibhiH = by the ministers, capital, dwellers; samaagamya = coming together; shuunya desha jigiishayaa = empty [kingless,] kingdom, to have control on; aham = I was; asmin = to this [kingship]; rajabhaave = in kingship; balaat = forcibly; niyuktaH = nominated.
"I beg you with my bowed head and with my prayerful palm-fold, the ministers and the city dwellers have collectively and forcibly nominated me to the kingship, only to keep the kingless kingdom under control. [4-10-10, 11a]
स्निग्धम् एवम् ब्रुवाणम् माम् स विनिर्भर्त्स्य वानरः || ४-१०-११
धिक् त्वाम् इति च माम् उक्त्वा बहु तत् तत् उवाच ह |
11b, 12a. saH vaanaraH = he, that monkey; evam snigdham bruvaaNam = this way, politely, while I was saying; maam nirbhartsya = me, on threatening; dhik = fie; tvaam = upon you; iti ca = thus, also; maam uktvaa = to me said; tat tat = that, that, [expletives]; bahu = many; uvaaca ha = he said, indeed.
"While I was speaking that politely he threatened me and indeed used many expletives starting from 'fie, fie, upon you.' and the like. [4-10-11b, 12a]
प्रकृतीः च समानीय मंत्रिणः चैव सम्मतान् || ४-१०-१२
माम् आह सुहृदाम् मध्ये वाक्यम् परम गर्हितम् |
12b, 13a. prakR^itiiH ca = people, also; sammataan = venerable ones; mantriNaH caiva = ministers, also, thus; samaaniiya = on summoning; suhR^idaam madhye = friends, amongst; maam = to me; parama garhitam vaakyam = very, abusive, words; aaha = he said / hurled.
"And summoning people and venerable ministers he hurled very abusive words at me among friends. [4-10-12b, 13a]
विदितम् वो मया रात्रौ मायावी स महाअसुरः || ४-१०-१३
माम् समाह्वयत क्रुद्धो युद्ध कांक्षी तदा पुरा |
13b, 14a. puraa mahaaasuraH maayaavii = earlier, the gigantic, Maayaavi; kruddhaH = rancorous; yuddha kaankshii = duel, desiring one; tadaa raatrau = in that, night; maam = me; samaahvayata = invited; vaH = that; viditam = you are aware of.
"You all are aware that earlier the gigantic and rancorous demon Maayaavi invited me desiring a duel in that night. [4-10-13b, 14a]
तस्य तद् भाषितम् श्रुत्वा निःसृतः अहम् नृपाअलयात् || ४-१०-१४
अनुयातः च माम् तूर्णम् अयम् भ्राता सुदारुणः |
14b, 15a. tasya tat = his, that; bhaaSitam = saying [calling for duel]; shrutvaa = on hearing; niHsR^itaH = went out; aham = I am; nR^ipa aalayaat = from royal, palace su daaruNaH = very, hazardous one; ayam bhraataa = this, brother; anuyaataH ca = followed, also; tuurNam = quickly; maam = me.
"On hearing his call for a duel I went out of the royal palace, and this very hazardous brother of mine quickly followed me. [4-10-14b, 15a]
स तु दृष्ट्वा एव माम् रात्रौ स द्वितीयम् महाबलः || ४-१०-१५
प्राद्रवत् भय संत्रस्तो वीक्ष्य आवाम् समुपागतौ |
अभिद्रुतः तु वेगेन विवेश स महाबिलम् || ४-१०-१६
15b, 16. mahaabalaH = formidable one; saH = that demon; raatrau sa dvitiiyam maam dR^iSTvaa eva = in night, with, a second one, me, on seeing, just by; pra adravat = he ran away; samupaagatau aavaam viikshya = those that reached nearly, at us, on seeing; bhaya samtrastaH = fear, fraught by; vegena abhidrutaH = speedily, he ran; saH = he; mahaabilam = great, cavity; vivesha = entered.
"And that formidable demon Maayaavi ran away as he was fraught with fear on seeing me with a second one at my side, and he speedily entered a great cavity of earth on seeing us two nearly reaching him. [4-10-15b, 16]
तम् प्रविष्टम् विदित्वा तु सुघोरम् सुमहद् बिलम् |
अयम् उक्तो अथ मे भ्राता मया तु क्रूर दर्शनः || ४-१०-१७
17. tam = him; praviSTam = entered into; viditvaa tu = on knowing; su ghoram = great, precarious; sumahat bilam = great cavity; atha = then; kruura darshanaH = cruel to look; ayam me bhraataa = this, brother, of mine; mayaa uktaH by me, said.
"On knowing the demon's entry into that great precarious cavity, I said to this one, this cruel looking brother of mine. [4-10-17]
अहत्वा न अस्ति मे शक्तिः प्रति गन्तुम् इतः पुरीम् |
बिल द्वारि प्रतीक्ष त्वम् यावत् एनम् निहन्मि अहम् || ४-१०-१८
18. a hatvaa = without, killing; itaH = from here; puriim = to capital; prati gantum = return to go; me = to me; shaktiH = power; na asti = not, there; aham = I am; enam = him, the demon; yaavat = till; nihanmi = I kill; tvam = you; bila dvaari = at cavity's, entrance; pratiiksha = wait.
"My power will not let me return from here to the capital without killing that demon, hence you wait at this cavity's entrance, till I kill that demon and come out of the cavity. [4-10-18]
स्थितोऽयम् इति मत्वा अहम् प्रविष्टः तु दुरासदम् |
तम् मे मार्गयतः तत्र गतः संवत्सरः तदा || ४-१०-१९
19. sthitaH = stayed; ayam iti = he thus; matvaa aham = believing, I have; pravishtaH tu = entered, thus; duraasadam = impenetrable cave; tadaa = then; tatra = there; tam = him, that demon; maargamaanasya = while searching; me = for me; gataH = elapsed; samvatsaraH = one year.
"Believing that he stayed at the entrance of the cavity I entered that impenetrable cavity, and then in searching for that demon there one year elapsed. [4-10-19]
स तु दृष्टो मया शत्रुः अनिर्वेदात् भयाअवहः |
निहतः च मया सद्यः सः सर्वैः सह बन्धुभिः || ४-१०-२०
20. bhayaaavahaH = terrified one; saH shatruH = he that, enemy; mayaa = by me; a nirvedaat = without, worry - effortlessly; dR^iSTaH = is seen; saH sarvaiH bandhubhiH saha = he, all of his, relatives, along with; mayaa = by me; sadyaH nihataH = immediately, killed.
"I have seen that terrified enemy of mine effortlessly, and I killed him immediately along with all of his relatives. [4-10-20]
तस्य आस्यात् तु प्रवृत्तेन रुधिरौघेण तद् बिलम् |
पूर्णम् आसीत् दुराक्रामम् स्वनतः तस्य भूतले || ४-१०-२१
21. bhuutale = on ground; svanataH = [fallen] yelling; tasya aasyaat tu = from his, mouth, but; pravR^ittena, rudhira aughena = emanating, by blood, gushes of; tat bilam puurNam = that, cavity, is filled up; dur aakraamam aasiit = impossible, to tread, it has become.
"That cavity has become impassable, since it is fully filled with the gushes of blood emanating from the mouth of that demon who fell yelling onto ground. [4-10-21]
सूदयित्वा तु तम् शत्रुम् विक्रान्तम् तम् अहम् सुखम् |
निष्क्रामम् न एव पश्यामि बिलस्य पिहितम् मुखम् || ४-१०-२२
22. aham = I; tam shatrum vikraantam = that, enemy, who was invading; sukham = easily; suudayitvaa = having killed; nishkraamam = exit; na eva = not, thus; pashyaami = saw; bilasya pihitam mukham = cavity's, closed, face.
"On my killing that invading enemy easily, I could not see any exit from that cavity as its mouth was closed. [4-10-22]
विक्रोशमानस्य तु मे सुग्रीव इति पुनः पुनः |
यतः प्रतिवचो नास्ति ततः अहम् भृश दुःखितः || ४-१०-२३
23. sugriiva iti = oh Sugreeva, thus; punaH punaH = again and again; vi kroshamaanasya = while I loudly shouted; me = to me; yataH = what for; prativacaH = reply; na asti = not, there; tataH = by that; aham = I am; bhr^isha duhkhitaH = very, saddened.
"Wherefore I did not get a reply though I repeatedly shouted, 'Sugreeva, oh, Sugreeva.' thereby I was very saddened. [4-10-23]
पाद प्रहारैः तु मया बहुभिः परिपातितम् |
ततः अहम् तेन निष्क्रम्य पथा पुरम् उपागतः || ४-१०-२४
24. mayaa = by me; bahubhiH = with many; paada prahaaraiH = with foot, poundings; paripaatitam = [lidded hilltop] is smashed; tataH = then; aham = I have; tena pathaa = by that, way; nishkramya = exited; punaH upaagataH = again, arrived here.
"With my foot I pounded and smashed that lidded hilltop, and from there I exited that way and arrived here. [4-10-24]
तत्र अनेन अस्मि सम्रुद्धः राज्यम् मृगयत आत्मनः |
सुग्रीवेण नृशंसेन विस्मृत्य भ्रातृ सौहृदम् || ४-१०-२५
25. aatmanaH = for himself; raajyam = kingdom; mR^igayata = fantasizing; nR^ishamsena anena = by cruel one, by this one; vismR^itya bhraatR^i sauhR^idam = forgetting, brotherly, good heartedness - clannishness; [aham = I was]; tatra = there; samruddhaH = trammelled; sugriiveNa = by Sugreeva; asmi = I was.
"As such this cruel fantasist of kingdom trammelled me in there forgetting the clannishness." So said Vali to all the courtiers. [4-10-25]
एवम् उक्त्वा तु माम् तत्र वस्त्रेण एकेन वानरः |
तदा निर्वासयामास वाली विगत साध्वसः || ४-१०-२६
26. vaanaraH = that monkey; vaalii = Vali; tatra = in there, in court; maam = to me; evam uktvaa = thus, saying; vigata saadhvasaH = gone [leaving off,] ruth; tadaa = then; vastreNa ekena = clothing, one only; nirvaasayaamaasa = started to render me homeless - banished me.
"On saying thus that monkey ruthlessly banished me, then and there in the court itself, who am with a single clothing on my body. [4-10-26]
तेन अहम् अपविद्धः च हृत दारः च राघव |
तत् भयात् च महीम् सर्वान् क्रान्तवान् स वन अर्णवाम् || ४-१०-२७
27. Raaghava; tena aham = by him, I am; apaviddhaH ca = thrown away, also; hR^ita daaraH ca = stolen, wife, also; tat bhayaat ca = by his, fear, alone; sa vana arNavaa = withal, forests, oceans sarvaan = all over the; mahiim = earth; kraantaavaan = I have roamed.
"Thus he threw me away and even stole my wife, oh, Rama, and owing to his fear alone I roamed all over the earth with its forests and oceans. [4-10-27]
ऋश्यमूकम् गिरि वरम् भार्या हरण दुःखितः |
प्रविष्टो अस्मि दुराधर्षम् वालिनः कारणान्तरे || ४-१०-२८
28. bhaaryaa haraNa duHkhitaH = wife, by stealing, I who am saddened; kaaraNa antare = by another reason; vaalinaH duraadharSham = by Vali, impenetrable one; giri varam = mountain, safest; Rishyamuukam = Mt. Rishyamuka; praviSTaH asmi = entered, I have;
"I who am saddened by stealing my wife have entered this safest mountain Rishyamuka, which is impenetrable for Vali by another reason. [4-10-28]
एतत् ते सर्वम् आख्यातम् वैर अनुकथनम् महत् |
अनागसा मया प्राप्तम् व्यसनम् पश्य राघव || ४-१०-२९
29. Raaghava; etat mahat vaira anukathanam = all this, notable, enmity, account of; sarvam te aakhyaatam = all to you, is reported; pashya = you may see - examine; anaagasaa = without fault; mayaa praaptam = by me, attained; vyasanam = dire straits.
"All this notable account of enmity is reported to you, oh, Raghava, and you may examine the dire straits befallen on me at no fault of mine. [4-10-29]
वालिनः च भयात् तस्य सर्वलोक भयापह |
कर्तुम् अर्हसि मे वीर प्रसादम् तस्य निग्रहात् || ४-१०-३०
30. sarva loka bhayaa apahaa = to all, worlds, fear, remover - oh, Rama; vaalinaH ca = of Vali, only; tasya bhayaat = from that, fear; me = to me; prasaadam = invulnerability; viira = oh, valiant one; tasya nigrahaat = him, rein [him] in; kartum arhasi = to bestow, apt of you.
"Oh, Rama, the fear-remover of all the worlds, it is apt of you to bestow me invulnerability from the fear of Vali, and oh, valiant one, as well as to rein him in." Sugreeva requested Rama thus. [4-10-30]
एवम् उक्तः स तेजस्वी धर्मज्ञो धर्म संहितम् |
वचनम् वक्तुम् आरेभे सुग्रीवम् प्रहसन् इव || ४-१०-३१
31. evam uktaH = thus, one who is said - Rama; tejasvii = resplendent one; dharmaj~naH = virtuous one; saH = he, that Rama; prahasan iva = laughing off, as though; dharma samhitam vacanam = in virtue, abiding, sentence; sugriivam = to Sugreeva; vaktum = to speak; aarebhe = started.
When he is requested thus by Sugreeva, that virtuous and resplendent Rama started to tell Sugreeva, the words that abide by virtue, as though trivializing the task on hand. [4-10-31]
अमोघाः सूर्य संकाशा निशिता मे शरा इमे |
तस्मिन् वालिनि दुर्वृत्ते पतिष्यन्ति रुष अन्विताः || ४-१०-३२
32. amoghaaH = admirable; suurya samkaashaa = sun-like; rusha anvitaaH = [my] wrath, mingled with; nishitaaH = sharp; mama = my; ete = these; sharaaH = arrows; durvR^itte = evil minded one; tasmin vaalini = on that, Vali; patiSyanti = will fall.
"Admirable and sun-like burners are these arrows of mine that are now mingled with my wrath, and they are bound fall on that evil minded Vali. [4-10-32]
यावत् तम् न हि पश्येयम् तव भार्य अपहारिणम् |
तावत् स जीवेत् पापात्मा वाली चारित्र दूषकः || ४-१०-३३
33. tava = your; bhaarya apahaarinam = wife, stealer; tam = him; yaavat = till which time; na pashyeyam = not, I see; taavat = only till then; paapaatmaa caaritra duushakaH = evil minded, history, abuser; saH vaalii jiivet = he, that, Vali, will live.
"He that stealer of your wife, that evil-minded abuser of history lives as long as I descry. [4-10-33]
आत्म अनुमानात् पश्यामि मग्नः त्वाम् शोक सागरे |
त्वाम् अहम् तारयिष्यामि बाढम् प्राप्स्यसि पुष्कलम् || ४-१०-३४
34. tvaam shoka saagare magnam = you; in sadness, sea of, deluged; aatma anumaanaat = by self, inference -by my own experience; pashyaami = I see; tvaam aham taarayishyaami = you, I will, make you to get across; baaDham = definitely; praapsyasi = you will regain; pushkalam = abundantly.
"By my experience I see how you are deluged in a sea of sadness, but I will make you to get over that sea, and you will definitely regain abundantly whatever you lost." Rama assured Sugreeva thus. [4-10-34]
तस्य तत् वचनम् श्रुत्वा हर्ष पौरुष वर्धनम् |
सुग्रीवः परम प्रीतः सु महत् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ४-१०-३५
35. tasya harSa pauruSa vardhanam = happiness, self-esteem, enhancing; tat vacanam shrutvaa = his, that, sentence, having heard; Sugreeva; parama priitaH = verily, gladdened; su mahat vaakyam abraviit = very, great, sentence, [further] said.
Hearing that sentence of Rama, which is enhancing happiness and self-esteem, Sugreeva is very gladdened and further said this great sentence. [4-10-35]
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे दशमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
©2000, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao, [Revised : March, '04