In this chapter Hanuma gets discouraging thoughts about Seetha. He thinks that Seetha might be dead. He thus gets into depression for a moment.
स तस्य मध्ये भवनस्य वानरो |
लता ग्ऱ्हामः चित्र गृहान् निशा गृहान् |
जगाम सीताम् प्रति दर्शन उत्सुको |
न च एव ताम् पश्यति चारु दर्शनाम् || ५-१२-१
1. saH maarutiH = That Hanuma; darshanotsukaH = interested in sight; siitaam prati = toward Seetha; madhye = in the middle of; tasya bhavanasya = that building; jagaama = went; lataagR^ihaan = (towards) houses made of plant creepers; chitragR^ihaan = art houses; nishaagR^ihaan = nocturnal houses; na chaiva pashyati = but did not see; taam = Her; chaarudarshanaam = with a beautiful appearance.
That Hanuma interested in sight of Seetha, in the middle of that building, went towards houses made of plant creepers, art houses, and nocturnal houses but did not see Her with a beautiful appearance.
स चिन्तयाम् आस ततो महा कपिः |
प्रियाम् अपश्यन् रघु नन्दनस्य ताम् |
ध्रुवम् नु सीता म्रियते यथा न मे |
विचिन्वतो दर्शनम् एति मैथिली || ५-१२-२
2. saH mahaakapiH = That great Hanuma; tataH = then later; apashyan = not seeing; taam = that Seetha; priyaam = dear; raghunanadanasya = to Rama; chintayaamaasa = thought thus; me = to me; vichinvataH = searching; maithilii = Seetha; yathaa = in what way; darshanam = appearance; na upayiti = not being obtained(from that); siitaa = Seetha; dhruvam = definitely; mriyate = has died.
That great Hanuma then later not seeing that Seetha dear to Rama thought thus: "to me searching Seetha in whatever way appearance not being obtained, from that Seetha definitely has died."
सा राक्षसानाम् प्रवरेण बाला |
स्व शील सम्रक्षण तत् परा सती |
अनेन नूनम् प्रतिदुष्ट कर्मणा |
हता भवेद् आर्य पथे परे स्थिता || ५-१२-३
3. saa jaanakii = That Seetha; sthitaa = standing; pare aaryapathe = in the best traditional path; vashiilasamrakshaNaa tatparaa satii = being chaste interested in preserving her character; hataabhavet = must have been killed; anena raakshasaanaam pravareNa = by the king of these Rakshasas; pratidushhThakarmaNaa = who performed evil deeds; nuunam = this is certain.
"That Seetha standing in the best traditional path being chaste interested, in preserving her character must have been killed by the king of these Rakshasas who performed evil deeds - this is certain."
विरूप रूपा विकृता विवर्चसो |
महा आनना दीर्घ विरूप दर्शनाः |
समीक्ष्य सा राक्षस राज योषितो |
भयाद् विनष्टा जनक ईश्वर आत्मजा|| ५-१२-४
4. saa janakeshwara aatmajaa = that daughter of king Janaka; vinashhTaa = died; bhayaat = of fear; samiikshya = seeing; raakshasa raajayoshhitaH = the wives of Ravana; viruuparuupaaH = with crooked appearances; vikR^itaaH = horrible ones; vivarcha saH = without radiance; mahaananaaH = with great faces; diirgha viruupa darshanaaH = with long and crooked eyes.
"That daughter of King Janaka died of fear seeing the wives of Ravana with crooked appearances - horrible ones without radiance with great faces with long and crooked eyes."
सीताम् अद्ऱ्ष्ट्वा हि अनवाप्य पौरुषम् |
विह्ऱ्त्य कालम् सह वानरैः चिरम् |
न मे अस्ति सुग्रीव समीपगा गतिः |
सुतीक्ष्ण दण्डो बलवामः च वानरः || ५-१२-५
5. adR^ishhTvaa = without seeing; siitaam = Seetha; anavaapya = not obtaining; paurushham = destiny; vihR^itya = and wandering; chiram kaalam = for a long time; vaanaraiH saH = together with Vanaras; me = to me; gatiH naasthi = there is no path; sugriiva samiipagaa = to go near Sugreeva; vaanaraH = Sugreeva; sutiikshaNadaNDaH = has a sharp punishment; balavaamshcha = and also is strong.
"Without seeing Seetha, not obtaining destiny and wandering for a long time together with Vanaras, to me there is not a path to go near Sugreeva. Sugreeva has a sharp punishment and also is strong."
दृष्टम् अन्तः पुरम् सर्वम् दृष्ट्वा रावण योषितः |
न सीता दृश्यते साध्वी वृथा जातो मम श्रमः || ५-१२-६
6. sarvam = all; antaHpuram = inner city; dR^ishhTaam = has been seen; raajayoshhitaH = women of Ravana; dR^ishhTaaH = have been seen; saadhvii = the chaste; siitaa = Seetha; na dR^ishyate = has not been seen; mama shramaH = my effort; jaataH = became; vR^ithaa = wasteful.
"All inner city has been seen. Women of Ravana have been seen. The chaste Seetha has not been seen. My effort became wastefull."
किम् नु माम् वानराः सर्वे गतम् वक्ष्यन्ति सम्गताः |
गत्वा तत्र त्वया वीर किम् कृतम् तद् वदस्व नः || ५-१२-७
7. maam = to me; gatam = who has gone back; sarve vaanaraaH = all vanaras; samgataaH = after meeting; kim nu = what; vakshyanti = they would say; viiraa = O strong one; gatvaa = going; tatra = there; kim kR^itam = what has been done; tvayaa = by you; tat vadasva = tell that; naH = to us.
"To me who has gone back all Vanaras after meeting what they would say? O strong one! Going there, what has been done by you? Tell that to us."
अदृष्ट्वा किम् प्रवक्ष्यामि ताम् अहम् जनक आत्मजाम् |
ध्रुवम् प्रायम् उपेष्यन्ति कालस्य व्यतिवर्तने || ५-१२-८
8. adR^ishhTvaa = without seeing; tam janakaatmajaam = that Seetha; kim = what; pravakshyaami = can I say; vyativartane = due to passing; kaalasya = of time; dR^ivam = definitely; upaishhyanti = they will obtain; praayam = fire.
"Without seeing that Seetha what can I say? Due to passing of time, definitely they will obtain fire."
किम् वा वक्ष्यति व्ऱ्द्धः च जाम्बवान् अन्गदः च सः |
गतम् पारम् समुद्रस्य वानराः च समागताः || ५-१२-९
9. gatam = (to me) who had gone; paaram = for the other shore; samudrasya = of the ocean; kim vaa = what will; vR^iddhaH jaambavaan = the old Jambava; vakshyati = say; saH = (what would)that; angadhashcha = Angada and; samaagataaH vaanaraashcha = vanaras who meet(say).
"To me who had gone for the other shore of the ocean what will the old Jambavan say? What would that Angada and vanaras who meet say?"
अनिर्वेदः श्रियो मूलम् अनिर्वेदः परम् सुखम् |
अनिर्वेदो हि सततम् सर्व अर्थेषु प्रवर्तकः || ५-१२-१०
10. airhead = non-depression; mullah = is root; shriyaH = of development; anirvedaH = Absence of despondency; param sukham = is the greatest comfort; anirvedaH = self reliance; satatam = is always; pravartakaH hi = is indeed the promoter; sarvaartheshhu = in all matters.
"Non-depression is root of development. Absence of despondency is the greatest comfort. Self reliance always is indeed the promoter in all matters."
करोति सफलम् जन्तोः कर्म यच् च करोति सः |
तस्माद् अनिर्वेद क्ऱ्तम् यत्नम् चेष्टे अहम् उत्तमम् || ५-१२-११
अदृष्टामः च विचेष्यामि देशान् रावण पालितान् |
11. yat = whatever; karma = action; karoti = (human) does; tat = that; jantoH = (action) of man; saphalam saH karoti = is made to be successful by non-depression; tasmaat = for that reason; aham = I; cheshhTe = will perform; uttamam prayatnam = a best effort; anirvedakR^itam = together with non-depression; vicheshhyaam taavat = I will search all those; deshaan = regions; raavanapaalitaan = ruled by Ravana; adR^ishhTaan = not (yet) seen.
"Whatever action a human does that action of man is made to be successful by non-depression. For that reason I will perform a best effort together with non-depression. I will search all those regions ruled by Ravana not yet seen."
आपान शाला विचिताः तथा पुष्प गृहाणि च || ५-१२-१२
चित्र शालाः च विचिता भूयः क्रीडा गृहाणि च |
निष्कुट अन्तर रथ्याः च विमानानि च सर्वशः || ५-१२-१३
12;13. apaanashaalaaH = bars; vichitaaH = have been searched; tathaa = in the same way; pushhpagR^ihaanicha = flower houses; chitrashaalaashcha = art houses; vichitaaH = have been searched; bhuuyaH = again; kriiDaagR^ihaanicha = pleasure houses; nishhkuTaantararathyaashcha = pathways in the middle of gardens; vimaanaanicha = buildings; sarvashaH = in all directions(have been searched).
"Bars have been searched; in the same way flower houses, art houses have been searched; again pleasure houses, pathways in the middle of gardens, buildings in all directions have been searched."
इति संचिन्त्य भूयो अपि विचेतुम् उपचक्रमे |
भूमी गृहामः चैत्य गृहान् गृह अतिगृहकान् अपि || ५-१२-१४
14. iti = thus; samchintya = thinking; upachakrame = (Hanuma) began; vichetum = to search; bhuuyopi = again; bhuumiigR^ihaan = undergrounds; chaityagR^ihaan = houses at the beginning of street intersections; gR^ihaati gR^ihakaanapi = and also small houses faraway from the main houses.
Thus thinking Hanuma began to search again undergrounds, houses at the beginning of street intersections and also small houses faraway from the main houses.
उत्पतन् निपतमः च अपि तिष्ठन् गच्चन् पुनः क्वचित् |
अपावृण्वमः च द्वाराणि कपाटानि अवघट्टयन् || ५-१२-१५
प्रविशन् निष्पतमः च अपि प्रपतन्न् उत्पतन्न् अपि |
सर्वम् अपि अवकाशम् स विचचार महा कपिः || ५-१२-१६
15;16. saH mahaakapiH = the great Hanuma; utpatan = flying; punaH punaH = again and again; nishhpatamshchaapi = and jumping down; tishhThan = standing up; ghachchhan = walking; dvaaraaNi apaavR^iNvan = opening doors; kavaaTaani avaghaaTayan = pushing doors; pravishan = and entering(inside); nishhpatamshchaapi = coming out; prapatan = climbing down; utpatan api = climbing up; vichachaara = wandered; sarvam avakaasam = all opportunity.
The great Hanuma flying again and again and jumping down, standing up, walking, opening doors, pushing doors and entering inside, coming out, climbing down, climbing up wandered all opportunity.
चतुर् अन्गुल मात्रो अपि न अवकाशः स विद्यते |
रावण अन्तः पुरे तस्मिन् यम् कपिर् न जगाम सः || ५-१२-१७
17. saH kapiH = that Hanuma; tasmin ravaNaantaH pure = in that city of Ravana; yam na jagaama = whatever region he did not go; saH = avakaashaH = that region; na vidhyate = was not there; chaturaN^guLa maatro.api = even for four angulas.
That Hanuma in that city of Ravana - whatever region he did not go that region was not there even for four angulas.
प्राकर अन्तर रथ्याः च वेदिकः चैत्य संश्रयाः |
श्वभ्राः च पुष्करिण्यः च सर्वम् तेन अवलोकितम् || ५-१२-१८
18. prakaarantara radhyaashcha = streets in the middle of fort walls; vedikaaH = platforms; chaitya samshrayaaH = together with the intersection of four streets; diirghikaaH = wells; pushhkariNyashcha = lakes; sarvam = all these; avalokitam = had been seen; tena = by him.
Streets between fort walls, platforms together with the intersection of four streets, wells, lakes all these had been seen by him.
राक्षस्यो विविध आकारा विरूपा विकृताः तथा |
दृष्टा हनूमता तत्र न तु सा जनक आत्मजा || ५-१२-१९
19. raakshasyaH = Rakshasa women; vividhaakaaraaH = of various forms; viruupaaH = with crooked forms; tathaa = and; vikR^utaaH = horrific forms; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; tatra = there; hanumataa = by Hanuma; na tu = but not; saa janakaatmajaa = that Seetha.
Rakshasa women of various forms, with crooked forms and horrific forms had been seen there by Hanuma but not that Seetha.
रूपेण अप्रतिमा लोके वरा विद्या धर स्त्रियः |
दृटा हनूमता तत्र न तु राघव नन्दिनी || ५-१२-२०
20. varaaH = the best; vidhyaadhara striiyaH = Vidhyaadara women; ruupeNa apratimaaH = incomparable by beauty; loke = in the world; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; tatra = there; hanumataa = by Hanuma; na tu = but not; raaghavanandinii = Seetha.
The best Vidhyadhara women incomparable by beauty in the world had been seen there by Hanuma, but not Seetha.
नाग कन्या वर आरोहाः पूर्ण चन्द्र निभ आननाः |
दृष्टा हनूमता तत्र न तु सीता सुमध्यमा || ५-१२-२१
21.naagakanyaaH = naaga women; varaaroha = with beautiful buttocks; puurNachandra nibhaananaaH = with faces equaling full moon; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; hanumataa = by Hanuma; tatra = there; na tu = but not; siitaa = Seetha; su madhyamaa = with a beautiful waist.
Naaga women with beautiful buttocks, with faces equaling full moon had been seen by Hanuma there, but not Seetha with a beautiful waist.
प्रमथ्य राक्षस इन्द्रेण नाग कन्या बलाद्द् हृताः |
दृष्टा हनूमता तत्र न सा जनक नन्दिनी || ५-१२-२२
22. naagakanyaaH = naaga women; hR^itaaH = who had been stolen; balata = forcefully; pramathya = being defeated; raakshasendreNa = by Ravana; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; tatra = there; hanumataa = by Hanuma; na saa janakanandinii = not that Seetha.
Naaga women who had been stolen forcefully, being defeated by Ravana had been seen there by Hanuma, not that Seetha
सो अपश्यमः ताम् महा बाहुः पश्यमः च अन्या वर स्त्रियः |
विषसाद महा बाहुर् हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः || ५-१२-२३
23. saH hanuman = That Hanuma; mahaa baahuH = with great arms; diimaan = the wise one; maarutaatmaja = the son of Vayu; apasyan = not seeing; taam = that Seetha; pasyan = seeing; anyaaH = other; varastriyaH = best women; vishhasaada = became depressed; muhuH = again and again.
That Hanuma with great arms, the wise one, the son of Vayu not seeing that Seetha and seeing other women became depressed again and again.
उद्योगम् वानर इन्द्राणम् प्लवनम् सागरस्य च |
व्यर्थम् वीक्ष्य अनिल सुतः चिन्ताम् पुनर् उपागमत् || ५-१२-२४
24. viikshya = seeing; udyogam = the effort; vaaNarendraaNaam = of the best Vanaras; plavanam cha = and the crossing; saagarasya = of ocean; vyartham = as being wasted; anilasutaH = Hanuma; chintaam upaagamat = got depression; punaH = again.
Seeing the effort of the best Vanaras and the crossing of ocean as being wasted, Hanuma got depression again.
अवतीर्य विमानाच् च हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
चिन्ताम् उपजगाम अथ शोक उपहत चेतनः || ५-१२-२५
25. atha = there after; maarutaatmajaH = the son of Vaayu; hanuman = Hanuma; avatiirya = got down; vimaanaat = from Pushpaka; upaagamat = obtained; chintaam = thought; shokohahatachetanaH = with a mind overcome with grief.
Thereafter the son of Vayu Hanuma got down from Pushpaka, obtained thought with a mind overcome with grief.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे द्वादशः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002 Dec, Durga and Kishore Kopalle