In this chapter Valmiki describes the plight of Seetha in Ashoka garden in detail.
तस्मिन्नेव ततः काले राजपुत्री त्वनिन्दिता |
रूपयौवनसम्पन्नं भूषणोत्तमभूषितम् || ५-१९-१
ततो दृष्ट्वैव वैदेही रावणम् राक्षसाधिपम् |
प्रावेपत वरारोहा प्रवाते कदली यथा || ५-९-२
1; 2. tataH = Thereafter; tasmin kaale eva = at that time;vaidehii = Seetha; raajaputrii = a princess; aninditaa = without any blame; varaarohaa = of excellent limbs; praavepata = shook; kadalii yathaa = like a plantain tree; pravaate = in wind; dR^ishhTvaiva = on seeing; raavaNam = Ravana; raakshasaadhipam = the king of Rakshasas; ruupa yauvana sampannam = endowed with beauty and youth; bhuushaNotaama bhuushhitam = adorned with excellent ornaments.
Thereafter at that time Seetha a princess without any blame of excellent limbs shook like a plantain tree in wind on seeing Ravana the king of rakshasas endowed with beauty and youth adorned with excellent ornaments.
आच्छाद्योदरमूरुभ्यां बाहुभ्यां च पयोधरौ |
उपविष्टा विशालाक्षी रुदन्ती वरवर्णिनी || ५-१९-३
3. vishaalaakshii = The wide eyed Seetha; varavarNinii = with excellent color; aachchhaadya = covering; udaram = stomach; uurubhyaam = with thighs; payodharau = breasts; baahubhyaam = with hands; upavisshTaa = sat down; rudantii = crying.
The wide eyed Seetha with excellent color covering stomach with thighs and breasts with hands sat down crying.
दशग्रीवस्तु वैदेहीम् रक्षितां राक्षसीगणैः |
ददर्श दीनाम् दुःखार्तां नावं सन्नामिवार्णवे || ५-१९-४
4. dashagriivastu = Ravana; dadarsha = saw; vaidehiim = Seetha;rakshitaam = protected; raakshasiigaNaiH = by batches of ogres; diinaam = (looking) miserable; duHkhaataam = being struck with grief; naavamiva = like a ship; sannaam = in danger; aarNave = in the sea;
Ravana saw Seetha protected by batches of ogres looking miserable being struck with grief like a ship in danger in the sea.
असंवृतायामासीनाम् धरण्याम् संशितव्रताम् |
चिनां प्रपतितां भूमौ शाखामिव वनस्पतेः || ५-१९-५
5. aasiinaam = (Hanuma saw Seetha) sitting down;asamvR^itaam = on uncovered; dhaaraNyaam = land;samShitavrataan = with a firm resolve; vanaspateH shaakhaamiva = like a branch of a tree; prapatitaam = fallen down; bhumau = on earth; chinnam = being torn (from the tree).
Hanuma saw Seetha sitting down on uncovered land, with a firm resolve, like a branch of a tree fallen down on earth being torn from the tree.
मलमण्डनचित्राङ्गीम् मण्डनार्हाममण्डिताम् |
मृणाली पङ्कदिग्धेव विभाति न विभाति च || ५-१९-६
6. malamaNDana chitraaN^giim = (Hanuma saw Seetha) With a strange body with dirt as an ornament; maNDanaarhaam = suitable to decorate with ornaments; amaNDittam = without any ornaments;vibhaati = shining; mR^iNaaliiva = like a lotus stem; paN^kadigdhaa = being covered with mud; na vibhaati cha = and also not shining
Hanuma saw Seetha with a stange body with dirt as ornament, who although suited to decorate with ornaments was without ornaments. Although She was shining like a lotus stem covered with mud, She was not shining also.
समीपम् राजसिम्हस्य रामस्य विदितात्मनः |
सङ्कल्पहयसम्युक्तैर्यान्तीमिव मनोरथैः || ५-१९-७
yaantiimiva = (Seetha) Was as though going;samiipam = near; raamasya = to Rama; raajasimhasya = a lion among kings; viditaatmanaH = with a famous personality; manorathaiH = with desires as chariot; samkalpahayasamyuktaiH = tied with thoughts as horses
Seetha was as though going near to Rama a lion among kings with a famous personality with desires as chariot tied with thoughts as horses.
शुष्यन्तीम् रुदतीमेकां ध्यानशोकपरायणाम् |
दुःखस्यान्तमपश्यन्तीं रामां राममनुव्रताम् || ५-१९-८
8. raamaam = (Seetha) a pleasant one; shhuShyanttim = was emaciated; rudatiim = was crying; ekaam = being alone; dhyaanashokaparaayaNaam = having surrendered to Her thoughts and sorrow; apashyantiim = not seeing; antam = the end; dukhasya = of grief;anuvrataam = following the will; raamam = of Rama.
Seetha a pleasant one, was emaciated, was crying, being alone having surrendered to Her thoughts and sorrow not seeing the end of grief, following the will of Rama.
चेष्टमानां तथाविष्टां पन्नगेन्द्रवधूमिव |
धूप्यमानाम् ग्रहेणेव रोहिणीं धूमकेतुना || ५-१९-९
9. tathaa = And also; pannagendravadhuumiva = (Seetha) was like great she-serpant; cheshhTamaanaam = writhing;aavishhTaam = under the spell of an incantation;rohiNiimiva = like Rohini; dhuupyamaanaam = being fumigated; dhuumaketunaa grahena = by a smoke colored planet called Ketu.
And also Seetha was like a great she-serpant writhing under the spell of an incantation. She was like Rohini being fumigated by a smoke colored planet called Ketu.
वृत्तशीलकुले जातामाचारवति धार्मिके |
पुनः संस्कारमापन्नां जातामिव च दुष्कुले || ५-१९-१०
10. jaataam = Being born; dhaarmike = in a virtuous; aachaaravati = traditional; vR^itta shiila kule = family with good conduct and character; aapannaam = getting; samskaaram = married; punaH = again; jaataamiva = (Seetha was) like being born; dushhkule = in a bad family
Being born in a virtuous traditional family with good conduct and character and getting married, Seetha appeared as if She was born in a bad family.
अभूतेनापवादेन कीर्तीम् निपतितामिव |
अम्नायानामयोगेन विद्यां प्रशिथिलामिव || ५-१९-११
11. kiirtimiva = (Seetha was) like fame;nipatitaam = fallen down;abhuutena = (due to) false; apavaadena = blame;vidyaamiva = like education; prashithitaam = runied; ayogena = (due to) non conformity ;aamnaayaanaam = (of) learning by heart.
Seetha was like fame fallen down due to false blame. She was like education ruined due to lack of learning by heart.
सन्नामिव महाकीर्तिं श्रद्धामिव विमानिताम् |
प्रज्ञामिव परिक्षीणामाशां प्रतिहतामिव || ५-१९-१२
12. sannam iva = (Seetha was) like deteriorated; mahaakiirtim = great fame; shraddaamiva = like faith; vimaanitaam = insulted; praJNaamiva = like an understanding; parikshiiNaam = grown feeble; aashaamiva = like hope; pratihataam = dulled.
Seetha was like deteriorated great fame,like insulted faith,like an understanding grown feeble, like dulled hope.
आयतीमिव विध्वस्तामाज्ञां प्रतिहतामिव |
दीप्तामिव दिशं काले पूजामपहृतामिव || ५-१९-१३
13. aayatiimiva = (Seetha was) like expectation; vidhvastaam = destroyed; aajJNaamiva = like an order; pratihataam = flouted; diiptaam dishaamiva = like a blazing quarter; kaale = during a period of destruction; puujaamiva = like a worship; avahR^itaam = stolen;
Seetha was like an expectation destroyed, like an order flouted; like a blazing quarter during a period of destruction, like a worship stolen.
पद्मिनीमिव विध्वस्तां हतशूरां चमूमिव |
प्रभामिव तमोध्वस्तामुपक्षीणामिवापगाम् || ५-१९-१४
14. padminiimiva = (Seetha was) like a lotus; vidhvastaam = destroyed; chamuumiva = like an army; hata shuraam = with killed warriors; prabhaamiva = like light; tamodhvastaam = destroyed by darkness; apaagaamiva = like a river; upakshiiNaam = vanished.
Seetha was like a lotus destroyed, like an army with killed warriors, like light destroyed by darkness, like vanished river.
वेदीमिव परामृष्टां शान्तामग्निशिखामिव |
पौर्णमासीमिव निशां राहुग्रस्तेन्दुमण्डलाम् || ५-१९-१५
15. vediimiva = (Seetha was) like an altar; paraamR^ishhTaam = desecrated; agnishikhaamiva = like a tongue of fire; shantaam = gone out; paurNamaasiim nishaamiva = like a full moon night; raahugrastendumaNDalaam = with moon devoured by Rahu.
Seetha was like an altar desecrated, like a tongue of fire gone out, like a full moon night with moon devoured by Rahu.
उत्कृष्टपर्णकमलां वित्रासितविहङ्गमाम् |
हस्तिहस्तपरामृष्टमाकुलां पद्मिनीमिव || ५-१९-१६
16. padminiimiva = (Seetha was) like a lotus pond; aakulaam = agitated; utKR^ishhTapaNakamalaam = with torned out leaves and lotuses; hastihastaparaamR^ishhTaam = (being) roughly treated by the trunk of an elephant.
Seetha was like a lotus pond agitated with torned out leaves and lotuses, being roughly traeated by the trunk of an elephant.
पतिशोकातुरां शुष्कां नदीं विस्रावितामिव |
परया मृजया हीनाम् कृष्णपक्षनिशामिव || ५-१९-१७
17. patishokaaturaam = Grieved for husband; nadiimiva = (Seetha was) like a river; shushhkaam = dried up; visraavitaam = (with water) caused to flow out; hiinaam = lacking; parayaa mR^ijayaa = best washing; kR^ishhNa paksha nishaamiva = like a new moon night.
Grieved for husband, Seetha was like a river which has dried uo with water caused to flow out lacking best washing, was like a new moon night.
सुकुमारीम् सुजाताङ्गीं रत्न गर्भगृहोचिताम् |
तप्यमानामिवोष्णेन मृणालीमचिरोद्धृताम् || ५-१९-१८
18. sukumaariim = (Seetha was) a delicate one; sujaataN^giim = with well built limbs; ratnagarbhagR^ihochitaam = accustomed to houses full of diamonds; tapyamaanaam = being tormented; ushhNena = by heat; mR^iNaaliimiva = like a lotus fibre; achiroddhR^itaam = uprooted short time back.
Seetha was a delicate one with well built limbs, accustomed to houses full of diamonds, being tormented by heat, like a lotus fibre uprooted short time back.
गृहीतामाळितां स्तम्भे यूथपेन विनाकृताम् |
निःश्वसन्तीं सुदुःखार्तां गजराजवधूमिव || ५-१९-१९
19. gajaraajavadhuumiva = (Seetha was) Like a she-elephant; gR^ihiitaam = captured; aaLitaam = tied; stambhe = to a pillar; kR^itena = made; yuudhapena vinaa = (to be) without the leader of herd; niHshvasantiim = sighing; suduHkhartaam = very much tormented by grief.
Seetha was like a she-elephant captured and tied to a pillar, made to be without the leader of herd, sighing, very much tormented by grief.
एकया दीर्घया वेण्या शोभमानामयत्नतः |
नीलया नीरदापाये वनराज्या महीमिव || ५-१९-२०
20. diirghayaa = with a long; ekayaa = single; veNyaa = plait;shobhamaanaam = shining; ayatnataH = without effort; mahiimiva = (Seetha) was like the earth; niilayaa vanaraajyaa = with dark groups of trees; niiradaapaaye = at the end of rainy season.
With a long single plait, shining without effort, Seetha was like the earth with dark groups of trees at the end of rainy season.
उपवासेन शोकेन ध्यानेन च भयेन च |
परिक्षीणां कृशां दीनामल्पाहारां तपोधनाम् || ५-१९-२१
21. parikshiiNaam = wasted; kRishaam = emaciated; upavaasena = due to fasting; shokena = due to sorrow; dhyaanena = due to thought; bhayena cha = and due to fear; alpaahaaraam = (Seetha) was with limited food; tapodhanaam = (and) with austerity as wealth.
Wasted, emaciated due to fasting, due to sorrow, due to thought and due to fear, Seetha was with limited food and with austerity as wealth.
आयाचमानाम् दुःखार्तां प्राञ्जलिं देवतामिव |
भावेन रघुमुख्यस्य दशग्रीवपराभवम् || ५-१९-२२
22. devataamiva = (Seetha was) like a celestial being; duHkhaartaam = tormented by grief; bhavena = by thought; praaN^jalim = with joined palms; ayaachamaanaam = desiring; dashagriiva paraabhavam = defeat of Ravana; raghu mukhyasya = (at the hands of) Sri Rama.
Seetha was like a celestial being, tormented by grief and by thought with joined palms, desiring the defeat of Ravana at the hands of Sri Rama
समीक्षमाणां रुदतीमनिन्दितां |
अनुव्रतां राममतीव मैथिलीं |
प्रलोभयामास वधाय रावणः || ५-१९-२३
23. raavanaH = Ravana; pralobhayaamaasa = (was trying) to allure; vadhaaya = (and threatening) death ( to Seetha) ;samiikshamaaNaam = who was looking at every direction; rudatiim = crying; aninditaam = without blame; supakshmataamraayata shuklalochanaam = with good eye lids and reddish and white eyes;atiiva anuvrataam = with an excessive vow to follow; raamam = Sri Rama;
Ravana was trying to allure and threatening death to Seetha who was looking at every direction, crying, without blame, with good eye lids and reddish and white eyes, with an excessive vow to follow Sri Rama.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे एकोनविंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2005, Kishore Kopalle