Seetha experiences some good omens as follows; Her left eye, left shoulder and left thigh quivered, as also her clothing slipped a bit. Feeling these omens, her consciousness was awakened with exaltation.
तथा गताम् ताम् व्यथिताम् अनिन्दिताम् |
व्यपेत हर्षाम् परिदीन मानसाम् |
शुभाम् निमित्तानि शुभानि भेजिरे |
नरम् श्रिया जुष्टम् इव उपजीविनः || ५-२९-१
1. taam = to her; tathaagataam = who was in such circumstances; vyathitaam = who was in distress; aninditaam = who was irraproachable; vyapeta harSaam = devoid of joy; paridiinamaanasaam = who was dejected; shubhaam = who was virtuous; bhejire = was bestowed with; shubhaani = auspicious; nimittaani = omens; naram iva = as a man; juSTam = possessed; shriyaa = of prosperity; upajiivinaH iva = is bestwoed with dependent servants.
To her who was in such circumstances, who was in distress, who was irraproachable, devoid of joy and dejected but virtuous, was bestowed with auspicious omens, as a prosperous man is bestowed with dependent servants.
तस्याः शुभम् वामम् अराल पक्ष्म |
राजी वृतम् कृष्ण विशाल शुक्लम् |
प्रास्पन्दत एकम् नयनम् सुकेश्या |
मीन आहतम् पद्मम् इव अभिताम्रम् || ५-२९-२
2. sukeshyaaH = the beautifully haired; tastaaG = Seetha's; vaamanayanam = araala pakSma raajiivR^itam = whose surrounding row of eye-lashes were curved; kR^iSNa vishaalaa shuklam = which was black; wide and bright-looking; praaspandata = like a red lotus; miinaahatam = (quivered) by the blow of a fish.
The beautifully haired Seetha's left eye, which was auspicious, whose surrounding row of eye-lashes were curved, which was black, wide and bright-looking; was predominantly quivering, like a red lotus quivered by the blow of a fish.
भुजः च चार्व् अन्चित पीन वृत्तः |
पर अर्ध्य काल अगुरु चन्दन अर्हः |
अनुत्तमेन अध्युषितः प्रियेण |
चिरेण वामः समवेपत आशु || ५-२९-३
3. vaamaH bhujashcha = Her left shoulder; chaarvaNchita piina vR^ittaH = which was pretty; distinguished; beefy and round; paraarthyakaaguru chandanaarhaH = which deserved to be applied with excellent black aloe and sandalwood paste; chireNa dhyuSitaH = which had been used for long as a pillow; anuttamena = by her most excellently; priyeNa = beloved Rama; aashu = quickly; sannavepata = quivered.
Her left shoulder, which was pretty, distinguished beefy and round, which deserved to be applied with excellent black aloe and sandalwood paste, which had been used
गज इन्द्र हस्त प्रतिमः च पीनः |
तयोः द्वयोः सम्हतयोः सुजातः |
प्रस्पन्दमानः पुनः ऊरुः अस्या |
रामम् पुरस्तात् स्थितम् आचचक्षे || ५-२९-४
4. tayoH dvayoH = of her two thighs; samhatayoH = kept together; asyaaH uruH = her (left) thigh; piinaH = which was beefy; sujaataH = and well born; gajendrahasta pratimaH = which resembled the trunk of a princely elephant; praspandamaanaH = was predominantly quivering; achachakSe = spoke; sthitam = the existance; raamam = of Rama; purustaat = in front.
Of her two thighs kept together, the left tigh which was beefy and well born, which resembled the trunk of a princely elephant was predominantly quivering, spoke indistinctly of existenc of Rama in front.
शुभम् पुनः हेम समान वर्णम् |
ईषत् रजो ध्वस्तम् इव अमल अक्ष्याः |
वासः स्थितायाः शिखर अग्र दन्त्याः |
किंचित् परिस्रंसत चारु गात्र्याः || ५-२९-५
5. punaH = again; vaasaH = the clothing; sthitaayaaH = of Seetha standng there; amalaakSyaaH = of spotless eyes; chaarugaatryaaH = and charming limbs; shikhaagra dantyaaH = having teeth resembling the buds of jasmine; hema samaana varNam = which was of golden shade; iiSat = and was slightly; rajodhvastamiva = soiled as it were with dust; parisramsata = glided down; shubham = which looked auspicious.
Again, the clothing of Seetha standing there, of spotless eyes and charming limbs, having teeth resembling the buds of jasmine, which was of golden shade and was slightly soiled as it were with dust, glited down, which appeared auspicious (for her).
एतैः निमित्तैः अपरैः च सुभ्रूः |
सम्बोधिता प्राग् अपि साधु सिद्धैः |
वात आतप क्लान्तम् इव प्रनष्टम् |
वर्षेण बीजम् प्रतिसम्जहर्ष || ५-२९-६
6. etaiH = these; nimittaiH = omens; aparaishcha = and some other omens; sambodhitaa = explained; saadhu = straight; siddhaiH = which were fruitful; praagapi = previously also; subhruuH = Seetha of beautiful eyebrows; pratisamjaharSa = disclosed a great joy; biijam iva = even as a seed; praNaSTam = vanished; vaataatapa klaantam = and withered by the wind and the sun; (got sprouted); varSeNa = by rain.
Bolstered by these and some other omens which straight explained that they were fruitful on the earlier occasion also, Seetha of beautiful eyebrows disclosed a great joy, even as a seed vanished and withered by the wind and the sun, got sprouted by rain.
तस्याः पुनः बिम्ब फल उपम ओष्ठम् |
स्वक्षि भ्रु केश अन्तम् अराल पक्ष्म |
वक्त्रम् बभासे सित शुक्ल दम्ष्ट्रम् |
राहोः मुखाच् चन्द्र इव प्रमुक्तः || ५-२९-७
7. punaH = moreover; bimbaphalaadharoSTham = having the lips like Bimba fruit; svakSSibhru keshaantam = having beautiful eyes and eyebrows; araalapakSma = who eye lids are curved; sita chaaru dantam = having charming white teeth; tasyaa = her; vaktram = face; babhaase = shone; chandraH iva = like the moon; pramuktaH = liberated; raahoH mukhaat = from the mouth of the demon Rahu.
Moreover, having the lips resembling Bimba fruit, having beautiful eyes and eyebrows, whose eye lids are curved, having charming white teeth, her face shone like the moon liberated from the mouth of the demon Rahu.
सा वीत शोका व्यपनीत तन्द्री |
शान्त ज्वरा हर्ष विबुद्ध सत्त्वा |
अशोभत आर्या वदनेन शुक्ले |
शीत अन्शुना रात्रिः इव उदितेन || ५-२९-८
8. viita shokaa = free from sorrow; vyapaniita tandrii = her weariness removed; shaanta jvaraa = her mental affliction alleviated; harSa vibuddhasattvaa = and her consciousness awakened with exaltation; saa aaryaa = that esteemed lady; (Seetha); ashobhata = looked splendid; vadanena = with her countenance; raatririva = as a night; shiitaam shunaa = with the moon; uditena = appear; shukle = during the bright fortnight.
Free from sorrow, her weariness removed, her mental affliction alleviated and her consciousness awakened with exaltation, that esteemed lady (Seetha) looked handsome with her countenance, as a night with the moon appears during the bright fortnight.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे एकोनत्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Check here for
The Fastest FTPS (SSL) on the planet FREE Go FTP Software