Seetha is shocked to see Hanuma, perched on the branches of a shimshupa tree She is confused whether it is a dream or a reality. Finally, she thinks that as the monkey is talking to her in a manifested form, it is quite a reality. She prays Lord Brihaspati and Brahma to make he words spoken by Hanuma as true.
ततः शाखा अन्तरे लीनम् दृष्ट्वा चलित मानसा |
वेष्टितार्जुनवस्त्रम् तं विद्युत्सम्घातपिङ्गलम् || || ५-३२-१
1. tataH = then; (Seetha); chalita maanasaa = had her mind shaken; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = that Hanuma; vidyutsanghaata piV^galam = who was tawny coloured; vidyutsanghaata = like a series of flashing thunder bolts; veSTitaarjuna vastram = and wrapped up in a white cloth; liinam = hiding; shaakhaantare = behind branches of Seetha beheld there a monkey.
Then, seeing Hanuma, who was tawny coloured like a series of flashing thunderbolts wrapped up in a white cloth and hiding behind the branches of a tree, Seetha had her mind shaken.
सा ददर्श कपिम् तत्र प्रश्रितम् प्रिय वादिनम् |
पुल्लाशोकोत्कराभासम् तप्तचामिकरेक्षणम् || || ५-३२-२
2. naa = that Seetha; dadarsha = beheld; tatra = there; kapim = a monkey; phulla shokotkaraabhaasam = beaming like a cluster of Ashoka flowers wide opened; tapta chaamiikarekSaNam = with his eyes resembling refined gold; prashritam = humble; priya vaadinam = and speaking agreeably.
Seetha beheld there a monkey, beaming like a cluster of Ashoka flowers wide opened, with his eyes resembling regined gold, humble and speaking agreeable words.
मैथिली चिन्तयामास स्वप्नो अयम् इति भामिनी |
अहो भीममिदं रूपं वानरस्य दुरासदम् || ५-३२-३
दुर्निरीक्षमिति ज्ञात्वा पुनरेव मुमोह सा |
3. maithilii = Seetha; gataa = got; paramam = a great; vismayam = surise; chintayaamaasa = and thought (as follows): aho = Alas!; idam = this; ruupam = appearance; vaanarasya = of the monkey; duraasadam = is hard to be approached; bhiimama = fearful; durniriikSam = and difficult to be looked at; iti = thus; jJNaatvaa = thinking; saa = she; mumoha = was bewildered; punareva = again.
Seetha got a great surprise and thought (as follows): "Alas! This monkey is hard to be approached, fearful and difficult to be looked at." Thus thinking, she was bewildered again.
विललाप भृशं सीता करुणम् भयमोहिता || ५-३२-४
रामरामेति दुःखार्ता लक्ष्मणेति च भामिनी |
रुरोद बहुधा सीता मन्दम् मन्दस्वरा सती || ५-३२-५
4; 5. siitaa = Seetha; bhaaminii = the splendid woman; bhaya mohitaa = bewildered by fear; duHkhaartaa = afflicted with grief; vilalaapa = lamented; bhR^isham = most; karuNam = piteously; raama raameti = saying O; Rama! O; Rama!; lakSmaNeti cha = and O Lakshmana; siitaa = Seetha; rurode = wept; mandam = faintly; mandasvaraa = satii = in a low voice; bahudhaa = in many ways.
The splendid woman Seetha, bewildered by fear and afflicted with grief, lamented most piteously saying "O, Rama! O, Rama! and "O Lakshmana!". Seetha wept faintly in a low voice in many ways.
सा तम् दृष्ट्वा हरिश्रेष्ठं विनीतवदुपस्थितम् |
मैथिली चिन्तयामास स्वप्नोऽयमिति भामिनी || ५-३२-६
6. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = that; harishreSTham = excellent monkey; upasthitam = appraoching; viniitavat = humbly; saa = that; bhaaminii = splendid woman; maithilii = Seetha; chintayaamaasa = thought; ayam = it; iti = as; svapnaH = a dream.
Seeing that excellent monkey appraching humbly, that splendid woman Seetha thought it as a dream.
सा वीक्षमाणा पृथुभुग्नवक्त्रं शाखामृगेन्द्रस्य यथोक्तकारम् |
ददर्श पिङ्गप्रवरं महार्हं वातात्मजं बुद्धिमतां वरिष्ठम् || ५-३२-७
7. saa = that Seetha; viikSamaaNaa = looking hither and thither; dadarsha = saw; vaataatmajam = Hanuma; pR^ithubhngnavaktram = who had wide and curved mouth; yathokta kaaram = doing as told; shaakhaamR^igendrasya = by Sugreeva the king of monkeys; piN^ga pravaram = the foremost of monkeys; mahaarham = greatly respectable; variSTham = and excellent; buddhimataam = among the intelligent.
Seetha, looking hither and thither, saw Hanuman, who was having a wide and curved mouth, doing acts as told by sugreeva the king of monkeys, the foremost of monkeys, greatly adored and the best among the inelligent.
सा तम् समीक्ष्य एव भृशम् विसम्ज्ञा गत असु कल्पा इव बभूव सीता |
चिरेण सम्ज्ञाम् प्रतिलभ्य चैव चैव विचिन्तयामास विशाल नेत्रा || ५-३२-८
8. samiikSyaiva = as soon as seeing; tam = that Hanuma; saa siitaa = that Seetha; visamjNaaa = lost her consciousness; bhR^isham = very much; babhuuva = and became; gataasmkalpena = as though lifeless; pratilabhya = regaining; samjJNaam = her cnciousness; chireNa = after a long time; vishaala netraa = the wide-eyed Seetha; bhuuyaH = again; vichintayaamaasa = thought (as follows).
As soon as seeing Hanuma Seetha lost her consciousness very much and became seemingly lifeless. Regaining her consciousness after a long time the wide eyed Seetha moreover thought (as follows)
स्वप्नो मया अयम् विकृतो अद्य दृष्टः शाखा मृगः शास्त्र गणैः निषिद्धः |
स्वस्ति अस्तु रामाय सलक्ष्मणाय तथा पितुः मे जनकस्य राज्ञः || ५-३२-९
9. adya = today; shaakhaamR^igaH = a monkey; vikR^itaH = in an ugly form; dR^iSTaH = was seen; mayaa = by me; svapne = in a dream; niSiddhaH = which is forbidden; shaastragaNaiH = according to a series of scriptures; svasti astu = May it be well; raamaaya = with Rama; salakSmaNaaya = together with Lakshmana; tathaa = and; together with Lakshmana; tathaa = and; me pituH = with my father; janakasya raajJNaH = king Janaka.
"Today, I saw an ugly monkey in my dream, which is forbidden according to a body of scriptures. May it be well with Rama together with Lakshmana and with my father, King Janaka.
स्वप्नो अपि न अयम् न हि मे अस्ति निद्रा |
शोकेन दुह्खेन च पीडितायाः |
सुखम् हि मे न अस्ति यतो अस्मि हीना |
तेन इन्दु पूर्ण प्रतिम आननेन || ५-३२-१०
10. ayam = this; na asti = is not; svapno.api = a dream too; me = to me; yataH = since; piiDitaayaaH = tormented; shokena = by sorrow; duHkhena cha = and grief; naasti hi nidraa = there is indeed no sleep; me = to me; asmi = who is; hiinaa = bereft; tena = of Rama; indu puurNa pratimaana nena = whose countenance resembles a full moon; naasti hi = there is indeed no; sukham = happiness.
"This is not a dream. To me, tormented by sorrow and grief, there is indeed no sleep. To me, separated from Rama whose countenance resembles a full moon, there is no happiness indeed!"
रामेति रामेति सदैव बुद्ध्या विचिन्त्या वाचा ब्रुवती तमेव |
तस्यानुरूपं च कथां तदर्था मेवं प्रपश्यामि तथा शृणोमि || ५-३२-११
11. vichintya = (since) I am thinking; buddhyaa = with intellect; tameva = (about) that Rama only; bruvatii = and saying; vaachaa = in my voice; raameti raameti = thus 'Rama! Rama!'; sadaiva = always; anuruupam = conformably; prapashyaami = I am seeing; tathaa = and; shR^iNomi = hearing; kathaam = story; evam = in this way; tadarthaam = with the same object.
"Since I am pondering with my mind about that Rama only, and always saying 'Rama! Rama!' thus, confomably I am seeing and hearing a story thus corresponding to he same thought."
अहम् हि तस्य अद्य मनो भवेन सम्पीडिता तत् गत सर्व भावा |
विचिन्तयन्ती सततम् तम् एव तथैव पश्यामि तथा शृणोमि || ५-३२-१२
12. sampiiDitaa = tormented; adya = today; manobhavena = by Manmatha; the god of love; tasya = about that Rama; tadgata sarva bhaavaa = having all my feelings directed towards him; vichintayantii = and thinking; satatam = always; tameva = about him; tathaiva = in the like manner; aham pashyaami = I am seeing; tathaiva = and in the like manner; shR^iNomi = I am hearing (the same matters).
"Tormented as I am today by manmatha god of love longing for Rama, my whole feelings directed towards him and constantly thinking of him alone, in the like manner I am seeing him and in the like manner i am hearing of him alone."
मनो रथः स्यात् इति चिन्तयामि |
तथा अपि बुद्ध्या च वितर्कयामि |
किम् कारणम् तस्य हि न अस्ति रूपम् |
सुव्यक्त रूपः च वदति अयम् माम् || ५-३२-१३
13. chintayaami = I am imagining; iti = that; manorathaH = my wish; syaat = will be fulfilled; tathaa = likewise; vitarkayaami = I am reasoning (it); buddhyaapi cha = by my intellect also; naasti hi = there is indeed no; ruupam = form; tasya = for that wish; ayam = He; suvyakta ruupaH = with a well-manifested form; vadati = is speaking; maam = about me; kim = what; kaaraNaam = is the reason?
"I am imagining that my wish will be fulfilled. Likewise, I am reasoning my wish by my intellect also. There is no concrete form indeed for my wish. He, with a well manifested form is speaking to me. for what reason?"
नमो अस्तु वाचः पतये सवज्रिणे स्वयम्भुवे चैव हुत अशनाय |
अनेन च उक्तम् यत् इदम् मम अग्रतो वन ओकसा तच् च तथा अस्तु न अन्यथा || ५-३२-१४
14. namaH = my salutation; vaachaspataye = to Brihaspati the lord of eloquence; savajriNe = together with Indra; wielding a thunderbolt; svayambhuve chaiva = to Brahma; the self-existent Lord; hutaashanaaya cha = and to the Lord of fire; eating the oblations; yat = whatever; idam = these words; uktam = are spoken; agrataH = before me; anena vanaukasaa = by this monkey; astu = let them be so; tat astu = let it be so; tathaa = in the like manner; na anyathaa = let it not be otherwise!.
"My salutation to Brihaspati the Lord of eloquence, together with Indra the wielder of a thunderbolt, to Brahma the self-existent Lord and to the Lord of Fire eating the oblations! Let whatever words spoken by this monkey be true! Let them not be untrue!"
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे द्वात्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Check here for
The Fastest SFTP (SSH) anywhere, FREE Go FTP