The seven sons of Prahasta surrounded by a great army rush in speedy chariots upon Hanuma, who is standing on the archy gate way. They discharge a shower of arrows on Hanuma. Then, Hanuma crushes all the enemies, using his palms, feet, fists, nails, chest and thighs only as his weapons. After killing those demons, Hanuma climbs up the archy door-way and takes up his position there again.
ततः ते राक्षस इन्द्रेण चोदिता मन्त्रिणः सुताः |
निर्ययुः भवनात् तस्मात् सप्त सप्त अर्चि वर्चसः || ५-४५-१
महाबल परीवारा धनुष्मन्तो महाबलाः |
कृत अस्त्रा अस्त्रविदाम् श्रेष्ठाः परस्पर जय एषिणः || ५-४५-२
हेम जाल परिक्षिप्तैः ध्वजवद्भिः पताकिभिः |
तोयद स्वन निर्घोषैः वाजि युक्तैः महारथैः || ५-४५-३
तप्त कान्चन चित्राणि चापानि अमित विक्रमाः |
विस्फारयन्तः सम्हृष्टाः तडिद्वन्त इव अम्बुदाः || ५-४५-४
1; 2; 3; 4. tataH = thereafter; te = those; sapta = seven; sutaaH = sons; mantriNaH = of his chief minister; saptaarchirochiSaH = having a lustre similar to that of fire; mahaabalapariivaaraaH = surrounded by a great army; dhanuSmantaH = wielding their respective bows; mahaabalaaH = possessing a great strength; kR^itaastraaH = well; trained in archery; astravidaam shreSThaH = the best among knowers of weapons; paraspara jayaiSiNaH = wishing victory reciprocally; amita vikramaaH = and having an immense prowess each; choditaaH = directed; raakSasendreNa = by Ravana; niryayuH = started; samhR^iSTaaH = highly delighted; tasmaat = from that; bhavanaat = palace; mahaarathaiH = in great chariots; vaajiyuktaiH = yoked with horses; (the chariots) toyadasvananirghoSaiH = were having a noise similar to that of an autumnal cloud; hemajaala parikSiptaiH = overlaid with aprotective armour of gold; dhvajadbhiH = surmounted by banners; pataakibhiH = decorated with smaller flags; visphaarayantaH = stretching; chaapaani = their bows; tapta kaaNchana chitraaNi = inlaid with refined gold and looking colourful; taTitvantaH ambudaaH iva = like clouds accompanied by flashes of lightning.
Thereafter, those seven sons of his chief minister having a lustre similar to that of fire, surrounded by a great army, wielding their respective bows, possessing a great strength, well-trained in archery and the best among knower of weapons, wishing a victory reciprocally, having an immense prowess each, and as directed by Ravana, started highly delighted from that palace, in great chariots yoked with horses. Those chariots were having a noise similar to that of an autumnal cloud, overlaid with a protective armour of gold, surmounted by banners and decorated with smaller flags. They were stretching their bows inlaid with refined gold and looking colourful like clouds accompanied by flashes of lightning.
जनन्यः ताः ततः तेषाम् विदित्वा किम्करान् हतान् |
बभूवुः शोक सम्भ्रान्ताः सबान्धव सुहृत् जनाः || ५-४५-५
5. tataH = thereupon; viditvaa = coming to know; kimkaraan = that Kimkaras (themselves); hataan = were killed; teSaam = their; janyastu = mothers on their part; sa baandhava suhR^ijjanaaH = together with their relatives and friends; babhuuvuH = became; shoka sambhraantaaH = tormented with grief.
Coming to know that Kimkaras themselves were killed their mothers together with their relatives and friends were tormented with grief.
ते परस्पर सम्घर्षाः तप्त कान्चन भूषणाः |
अभिपेतुः हनूमन्तम् तोरणस्थम् अवस्थितम् || ५-४५-६
6. te = those sons of chief minister; taptakaaNchana bhuuSaNaaH = wearing ornaments made of pure gold; abhipetuH = rushed; hanumantam = towards Hanuma; avasthitam = who was ready for battle; toraNastham = and who stood on the archy door-way motionless.
Those sons of chief minister, wearing ornaments made of pure gold, rushed towards Hanuma, who was ready for battle and who stood on the archy gate-way motionless.
सृजन्तो बाण वृष्टिम् ते रथ गर्जित निह्स्वनाः |
वृष्टिमन्त इव अम्भोदा विचेरुः नैरृत ऋषभाः || ५-४५-७
7. te nairR^itaambudaaH = those demons looking like clouds; ratha garjita niHsvanaaH = diffusing thunder-like sounds of their chariots; sR^ijantaH = creating; baaNavR^iSTim = a shower of arrows; vicheruH = moved in different directions; vR^iSTimantaH ambhodaaH = resembling rainy clouds.
Those demons looking like clouds, diffusing thunder-like sounds of their chariots and discharging a shower of arrows, moved in different directions resembling rainy clouds in the monsoon.
अवकीर्णः ततः ताभिः हनूमान् शर वृष्टिभिः |
अभवत् सम्वृत आकारः शैल राड् इव वृष्टिभिः || ५-४५-८
8. tataH = then; avakiirNaH = covered by; taabhiH sharavR^iSTibhiH = those showers of arrows; hanumaan = Hanuma; abhavat = became; shailaraaDiva = like a mountain-king; samvR^itaakaaraH = concealed by incessant showers.
Thus covered by those showers of arrows, Hanuma became invisible even as a mountain-king is concealed by incessant showers.
स शरान् वन्चयामास तेषाम् आशु चरः कपिः |
रथ वेगान् च वीराणाम् विचरन् विमले अम्बरे || ५-४५-९
9. vicharan = roaming about; vimale = in a cloudless; ambare = sky; saH aashucharaH = that fast-footed; kapiH = monkey; moghayaamaasa = made useless; sharaan = the arrows; ratha vegamcha = and the speed of the chariots; teSaam viiraaNaam = of those virile demons.
Roaming about in a cloudless sky, that fast-footed monkey made the arrows and the speedy chariots of those virile demons, useless.
स तैः क्रीडन् धनुष्मद्भिः व्योम्नि वीरः प्रकाशते |
धनुष्मद्भिः यथा मेघैः मारुतः प्रभुः अम्बरे || ५-४५-१०
10. kriiDan = playing; taiH = with those demons; dhanuSmadbhiH = wielding a bow each; vyomni = in the sky; saH viiraH = that hero; prakaashate = shone; prabhuH maarutaH = loke the Lord of Wind; meghaiH = (playing with) clouds; dhanuSmadbhiH = brandishing a rainbow.
Playing with those demons wielding a bow each in the sky, that hero shone like the Lord of Wind, playing with clouds brandishing a rain bow.
स कृत्वा निनदम् घोरम् त्रासयन् ताम् महाचमूम् |
चकार हनुमान् वेगम् तेषु रक्षह्सु वीर्यवान् || ५-४५-११
11. kR^itvaa = making; ghoram = a terrific; ninadam = roar; viiryavaan = the valiant; saH = Hanuma; traasayan = and frightening; taam = that; mahaa chamuum = great army; chakaara vegam = rushed; teSu rakSassu = on those demons.
Making a terrific roar and frightening that great army, the valiant Hanuma rushed on those demons.
तलेन अभिहनत् कांश्चित् पादैः कांश्चित् परम् तपः |
मुष्टिना अभ्यहनत् कांश्चिन् नखैः कांश्चित् व्यदारयत् || ५-४५-१२
12. paramtapaH = that Hanuma; the annihilator of enemies; abhyahanat = struck; kaamshchit = some; talena = with palms; kaamschhit = some; paadaiH = with his feet; kaamshchit = and some; muSTinaa = with his fists; vyadaarayat = (He) tore down; kaamshchit = some; nakhaiH = with his nails.
That Hanuma, the annihilator of enemies, struck some with his palms, some with his feet and some others with his fists. He tore down some others with his nails.
प्रममाथ उरसा कांश्चित् ऊरुभ्याम् अपरान् कपिः |
केचित् तस्य एव नादेन तत्र एव पतिता भुवि || ५-४५-१३
13. kapiH = Hanuma; pramamaatha = crushed; kaamshchit = some; urasaa = with his chest; aparaan = and some others; uurubhyaam = with his thighs; kechit = some; patitaaH = fell down; bhuvi = on the ground; tatvaiva = there itself; tasya minaadena = by his roar.
Hanuma crushed some with his chest and some others with his thighs. Some fell down there itself on the ground, just by the roar made by Hanuma.
ततः तेष्व् अवपन्नेषु भूमौ निपतितेषु च |
तत् सैन्यम् अगमत् सर्वम् दिशो दश भय अर्दितम् || ५-४५-१४
14. teSu = (Seeing) those demons; uvasanneSu = dying; nipatiteSu cha = and falling; bhuumau = on the ground; sarvam = all; tat = that (remaining); sainyam = army; agamat = fled; dasha dishaH = in ten (different) directions; bhayaarditam = afflicted with fear.
Seeing those demons dying and falling on the ground, all the remaining army, afflicted with fear, fled in ten different directions.
विनेदुः विस्वरम् नागा निपेतुः भुवि वाजिनः |
भग्न नीड ध्वजच् चत्रैः भूः च कीर्णा अभवत् रथैः || ५-४५-१५
15. naagaaH = elephants; vineduH = trumpeted; visvaam = with a wrong accent; vaajinaH = Horses; nipetuH = fell down; bhuvi = on the ground; bhuushcha = even the earth; kiirNaa abhavat = was filled with; rathaiH = chariots; bhagna niiDa dhvajachchhatraiH = which had their seats; banners and canopies broken.
Their elephants trumpeted with a wrong accent. Horses fell down on the ground. Even the earth was filled with chariots which had their seats, banners and canopies broken.
स्रवता रुधिरेणाथ स्रवन्त्यो दर्शिताः पथि |
विविधैश्च स्वरैर्लङ्का ननाद विकृतम् तदा || ५-४५-१६
16. sravantyaH = streams; sravataa rudhireNa = flowing with blood; darshitaa = were seen; pathi = on the way; atha = thereafter; tadaa = then; laN^kaa = Lanka; nanaada = resounded; vikR^itam = horribly; vividhaiH svaraiH = with various kinds of voices.
Thereafter, streams flowing with blood were seen on the way. Lanka resounded with various kinds of horrible voices.
स तान् प्रवृद्धान् विनिहत्य राक्षसान् |
महाबलः चण्ड पराक्रमः कपिः |
युयुत्सुः अन्यैः पुनः एव राक्षसैः |
तत् एव वीरो अभिजगाम तोरणम् तत् || ५-४५-१७
17. saH kapiH = that Hanuma; viiraH = the hero; mahaabalaH = the exceedingly strong one; chaN^Da paraakramaH = having terrible prowess; vinihatya = killing; taan = those; pravR^iddhaan raakSasaan = arrogant demons; yuyutsuH = and being desirous of a combat; anyaiH raakSasaiH = with the other demons; abhijagaama = reached; punareva = yet again; tam toraNameva = that archy door way itself.
That heroic and mighty Hanuma having a terrible prowess, killing those arrogant demons and being desirous of a combat with the other demons, again reached that archy door way itself.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे पञ्चचत्वारिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy