Jambavan, seated along with the monkey-troops, requested Hanuma to narrate clearly whatever has occurred. Hanuma narrates in detail how he saw Mount Mainaka in the course of his journey to Lanka and how he escaped on the way from the clutches of Surasa, a great serpent living in the ocean. Hanuma also narrated about his killing of Simhika, a female demon on the way and also about defeating another female demon (Lanka-incarnate) who was guarding the City of Lanka. Hanuma explains to Jambavan, how he beholds Seetha in Ashoka garden after a thorough search in the City of Lanka and how he introduces himself as an envoy sent by Rama and Sugreeva. Hanuma informs Jambavan that he hands over a finger-ring of Rama as a token of remembrance to Seetha and that he further asks for a return-token of remembrance from her, to be handed over to Rama. Hanuma then narrates about Seetha having delivered to him an excellent jewel for her head, as a token of remembrance. He further narrates about the demolition of the garden attached to Ravana's gynaecium and about killing of Aksha, Ravana's son. Hanuma further informs about his capture by Indrajit, Ravana's son and his tail being burnt by demons on receiving the orders of Ravana. He further informs about his setting fire of the City of Lanka. He finally narrates about his re-visit to Seetha and his return to Mount Mahendra.
ततः तस्य गिरेः शृन्गे महाइन्द्रस्य महाबलाः |
हनुमत् प्रमुखाः प्रीतिम् हरयो जग्मुः उत्तमाम् || ५-५८-१
1. tataH = thereafter; mahaabalaaH = the mighty; harayaH = monkeys; hanumat pramukhaaH = headed by Hanuma and others; jagaama = obtained; uttamaam = a great; priitim = joy; tasya mahendrasyagireH = on that summit of Mount Mahendra.
Thereafter, the mighty monkeys, headed by Hanuma and others, experienced a great joy on that summit of Mount Mahendra.
तम् ततः प्रतिसम्हृष्टः प्रीतिमन्तम् महाकपिम् |
जाम्बवान् कार्य वृत्त अन्तम् अपृच्छत् अनिल आत्मजम् || ५-५८-२
2. tataH = then; jaambavaan = Jambavan; priitisamhR^iSTaH = thrilling with rapture; apR^ichchhat = asked; priitimantam = the delighted; mahaakapim = the great monkey; tam kaaryavR^ittaantam = about the particulars of that actual occurrence (of seeing Seetha) as follows.
Then, Jambavan, thrilling with rapture, asked the delighted Hanuma, the great monkey about the particulars of that actual occurrence (of seeing Seetha) as follows
कथम् दृष्टा त्वया देवी कथम् वा तत्र वर्तते |
तस्याम् वा स कथम् वृत्तः क्रूर कर्मा दश आननः || ५-५८-३
3. katham = how; devii = was Seetha; dR^iSTaa = seen; tvayaa = by you?; katham vaa = how; vartate = was she; tatra = there?; katham vR^ittaH = of what behavior; tasyaam = towards her; saH dashaananaH = was that Ravana; kruura karma = having terrible deeds?
"How did you see Seetha? How was she there? How was that Ravana of terrible deeds behaving towards her?"
तत्त्वतः सर्वम् एतन् नः प्रब्रूहि त्वम् महाकपे |
श्रुत अर्थाः चिन्तयिष्यामो भूयः कार्य विनिश्चयम् || ५-५८-४
4. mahaakape = O Hanuma!; tvam = you; prabruuhi = tell; naH = us; etat = this; sarvam = entirely; tattvataH = in this; shrutaarthaaH = ascertained by having the matter; chintayiSyaamaH = we shall think; kaaryavinishchayam = about a mutual resolve to do something; bhuuyaH = again.
"O Hanuma! Tell us entirely, in truth whatever has occurred. Ascertaining the truth, from you, we shall again think about what decision to be taken further."
यः च अर्थः तत्र वक्तव्यो गतैः अस्माभिः आत्मवान् |
रक्षितव्यम् च यत् तत्र तत् भवान् व्याकरोतु नः || ५-५८-५
5. gataiH = gone; tatra = there; asmaabhiH = by us; bhavaan = you; aatmavaan = having prudence; vyaakarotu = clearly tell; naH = us; yaH = which; arthaH = matter; tat = that; vaktavyaH = can be disclosed; yat = and which; rakSitavyam = is to be kept off.
"When we go there (to the presence of Rama), having prudence, tell us clearly which matter is to be disclosed and which matter is to be kept off from him."
स नियुक्तः ततः तेन सम्प्रहृष्ट तनू रुहः |
नमस्यन् शिरसा देव्यै सीतायै प्रत्यभाषत || ५-५८-६
6. niyuktaH = thus commanded; tena = by that Jambavan; saH = that Hanuma; tataH = then; samprahR^iSTatanuuruhaH = with his hair thrilling in rapture; praNamya = offering salutation; devyai siitaayai = to Seetha the princess; shirasaa = (by bowing) his head; pratyabhaaSata = replied (as follows):
Thus commanded by Jambavan, Hanuma, with his hair standing on end mentally offered his salutation to Seetha, the princess, by bowing his head and replied as follows:
प्रत्यक्षम् एव भवताम् महाइन्द्र अग्रात् खम् आप्लुतः |
उदधेः दक्षिणम् पारम् कान्क्षमाणः समाहितः || ५-५८-७
7. kaaNkSamaaNaH = desirous; samaahitaH = and intent upon; udadheH dakSiNam paaram = (reaching) the southern shore of the ocean; aaplutaH = I leapt; kham = into the sky; mahendraagraat = from the summit of Mount Mahendra; bhavataam pratyakSameva = just before your presence indeed!
"With an intention to reach the southern shore of the ocean, I leapt into the sky, indeed before your presence, from the summit of Mount Mahendra."
गच्छतः च हि मे घोरम् विघ्न रूपम् इव अभवत् |
कान्चनम् शिखरम् दिव्यम् पश्यामि सुमनो हरम् || ५-५८-८
8. me = to me; gachchhataH = who was going; ghoram = a terrific; vighnaruupamiva = hindrance-like thing; abhavat = occurred; pashyaami = I saw; kaaN^chanam shikharam = a golden mountain-peak; divyam = which was charming; sumanoharam = and so fascinating.
"While I was going, a terrific hindrance occurred in my way as it was. I saw a golden mountain-peak which was so charming and fascinating."
स्थितम् पन्थानम् आवृत्य मेने विघ्नम् च तम् नगम् |
उपसम्गम्य तम् दिव्यम् कान्चनम् नग सत्तमम् || ५-५८-९
कृता मे मनसा बुद्धिः भेत्तव्यो अयम् मया इति च |
9. mene = I considered; tam nayam = that mountain; sthitam = staying; aavR^itya = turned round towards; panthaanam = the path; vighnam = as a hindrance; upasamgamya = approaching; tam nagasattamam = that excellent mountain; divyam = which was charming; kaaNchanam = and golden-coloured; buddhiH = a thought; kR^itaa = was formed; me manasaa = in my mind; ayam; bhettavyaH iti = that the mountain should be demolished; mayaa = by me.
"I accounted that mountain staying turned towards the path, as an impediment. Approaching that excellent charming and golden mountain, I made up my mind to shatter it."
प्रहतम् च मया तस्य लान्गूलेन महागिरेः || ५-५८-१०
शिखरम् सूर्य सम्काशम् व्यशीर्यत सहस्रधा |
10. prahatam = struck; mayaa = by me; laaNguulena = with my tail; shikharam = the mountain-peak; mahaagireH = of that large mountain; suurya samkaasham = resembling the sun; vyashiiryata = was broken; sahasradhaa = into a thousand pieces.
"As I struck it with my tail, the mountain-peak of that great hill, resembling the sun, was broken into a thousand pieces."
व्यवसायम् च मे बुद्ध्वा स ह उवाच महागिरिः || ५-५८-११
पुत्र इति मधुराम् बाणीम् मनः प्रह्लादयन्न् इव |
11. buddhvaa = understanding; tam vyavasaayam = that intention; saH mahaagiriH = that great mountain; uvaacha ha = spoke; madhuraam = sweet; vaaNiim = words; putra iti = saying "O my son!"; manaH prahlaadayanniva = as though it was refreshing my mind.
"Understanding my purpose, that great mountain spoke the following sweet words saying, 'O my son!', As though it was refreshing my mind (once more to proceed further)."
पितृव्यम् च अपि माम् विद्धि सखा अयम् मातरिश्वनः || ५-५८-१२
मैनाकम् इति विख्यातम् निवसन्तम् महाउदधौ |
12. viddhi = know; maam = me; vikhyaatam = to be generally called; mynaakamiti = as Mynaka; nivasantam = dwelling; mahaa dadhau = in the great ocean; sakhaaya = as a companion; maatarishvanaH = of the wind-god; pitR^ivyamohaapi = and even as your father's brother.
" 'Know me to be generally called as Mynaa dwelling in this great ocean, as a companion of the wind-god and even as your father's brother'."
पक्ष्ववन्तः पुरा पुत्र बभूवुः पर्वत उत्तमाः || ५-५८-१३
चन्दतः पृथिवीम् चेरुः बाधमानाः समन्ततः |
13. putra = O my son!; puraa = long ago; parvatottamaaH = foremost among mountains; babhuuvuH = used to; pakSavantaH = have wings; cheruH = they used to wander; samantataH = the entire; pR^ithiviim = earth; chhandataH = freely; baadhamaanaaH = hurting the people.
" 'O my son! Long ago, the foremost among the mountains used to have wings. They used to wander the entire earth freely, hurting the people!"
श्रुत्वा नगानाम् चरितम् महाइन्द्रः पाक शासनः || ५-५८-१४
चिच्छेद भगवान् पक्षान् वज्रेण एषाम् सहस्रशः |
14. shrutvaa = hearing; charitam = the behaviour nagaanaam = of the mountains; bhagavaan mahendraH = the venerable Indra the lord of celestials; paaka shaasanaH = the destroyer of the demon called Paka; chichchheda = chopped; eSaam pakSaan = their wings; sahasrashaH = into thousand pieces; vajreNa = by his thunderbolt.
" 'Hearing that behaviour of those mountains, the venerable Indra the lord of celestials, the destroyer of a demon called Paka, chopped their wings into a thousand pieces by using his thunderbolt.' "
अहम् तु मोक्षितः तस्मात् तव पित्रा महात्मना || ५-५८-१५
मारुतेन तदा वत्स प्रक्षिप्तो अस्मि महाअर्णवे |
15. vatsa = O child!; aham tu = I; on my part; prakSiptaH asmi = was hurled; mahaarNave = into the great ocean; mahaatmanaa maarutena = by the high-souled wind-god; tava pittraa = your father; mokSitaH = and was liberated; tadaa = then; tasmaat = (from the clutches) of that Indra.
" 'O child! I, on my part, was hurled into the great ocean by the high-souled wind-god, your father and was liberated from the clutches of Indra.' "
रामस्य च मया साह्ये वर्तितव्यम् अरिम् दम || ५-५८-१६
रामो धर्मभृताम् श्रेष्ठो महाइन्द्र सम विक्रमः |
16. arindama = O Hanuma; the annihilater of enemies!; vartitavayam = It s to be behaved; mayaa = by me in such a way; ramasya saahye = to help Rama; raamaH = Rama' mahendra samavikramaH = similar to the prowess of Indra; shreSThaH = is excellent; dharma bhR^itaam = in supporting righteousness.
" 'O Hanuma the annihilator of enemies! I have to behave in such a way as to help Rama. For, Rama, having a prowess equal to that of Indra; is indeed excellent in supporting righteousness.'"
एतत् श्रुत्वा मया तस्य मैनाकस्य महात्मनः || ५-५८-१७
कार्यम् आवेद्य तु गिरेः उद्धतम् च मनो मम |
तेन च अहम् अनुज्ञातो मैनाकेन महात्मना || ५-५८-१८
17; 18. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; tasya mahaatmanaH mynaakasya = of that high-souled Mynaka; aavedya = and informing; kaaryam = my purpose; mama = my; manaH = mind; udyatam = was prepared for the travel; aham = I; anujJNaatashcha = was allowed to depart; tena mahaatmanaa = by that high-souled; mynaakena cha = Mynaka also.
"Hearing the words of that high-souled Mynaka and after informing my purpose, my mind was prepared for a further travel. The high-soled Mynaka also allowed me to depart."
स चाप्यन्तर्हितः शैलो मानुषेण वपुष्मता |
शरीरेण महाशैलः शैलेन च महोदधौ || ५-५८-१९
19. saH = that; shailaH = mountain; antarhitaH = vanished; maanuSeNa vapuSmataa = in a beautiful form of a human being; mahaashailaH = that large mountain; shailena shariireNa = in the form of the body of a mountain; antarhitaH = vanished; mahodadhau = into the great ocean.
"That Mynaka mountain vanished in the guise of a beautiful form of a human being. That large mountainous form also later drowned into the great ocean."
उत्तमम् जवम् आस्थाय शेषम् अध्वानम् आस्थितः |
ततो अहम् सुचिरम् कालम् वेगेन अभ्यगमम् पथि || ५-५८-२०
20. tataH = thereafter; aasthaaya = employing; uttamam = an excellent; javam = speed; aasthitaH = and existing; sheSam = in the remaining; panthaanam = path; aham = I; abhyaagamam = went; pathi = in that path; vegena = with speed; suchiram kaalam = for a very long time.
"Thereafter, employing an excellent speed and continuing on my course, I proceeded in that path speedily for a long time."
ततः पश्यामि अहम् देवीम् सुरसाम् नाग मातरम् |
समुद्र मध्ये सा देवी वचनम् माम् अभाषत || ५-५८-२१
21. tataH = thereafter; aham = I; pashyaami = saw; surasaam = Surasa; naagamaataram = the mother of serpents; samudramadhye = in the midst of the sea; saa devii = and that goddess; abhaaSata = spoke; vachanam = (the following) words; maam = to me.
"Thereafter, I saw Surasa, the mother of serpents in the midst of the sea. That goddess spoke the following words to me.
मम भक्ष्यः प्रदिष्टः त्वम् अमारैः हरि सत्तमम् |
ततः त्वाम् भक्षयिष्यामि विहितः त्वम् चिरस्य मे || ५-५८-२२
22. harisattama = O the excellent of monkeys!; tvam = you; pradiSTaH = have been shown; mama bhakSaH = as my eatable; amaraiH = by the celstials; ataH = therefore; bhakSayiSyaam = I will eat; tvaam = you; tvam = you vihitaH = have been arranged; me = to me; chirasya = after a long time.
"O excellent of monkeys! The celestials have shown you as my eatable. Therefore, I will eat you since you have been bestowed to me by gods after a long time."
एवम् उक्तः सुरसया प्राञ्जलिः प्रणतः स्थितः |
विवर्ण वदनो भूत्वा वाक्यम् च इदम् उदीरयम् || ५-५८-२३
23. evam uktaH = thus spoken; surasayaa = by Surasa; sthitaH = I stood; praNataH praaJNaliH = offering my salutation with joined palms to her; bhuutvaa = becoming; vivarNavadanaH = pale- faced; udiirayam = I spoke; idam = these; vaakyam cha = words too.
"Hearing Surasa's words, I stood there, offering salutation with my joined palms to her. Becoming pale-faced, I spoke the following words:
रामो दाशरथिः श्रीमान् प्रविष्टो दण्डका वनम् |
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा सीतया च परम् तपः || ५-५८-२४
24. raamaH = Rama; daasharathiH = the son of Dasaratha; shriimaaan = the splendid man; paramtapaH = the tormentator of enemies; bhraataa lakSmaNena saha = together with Lakshmana; his brother; siitaayaacha = and Seetha; praviSTaH = entered; daN^Dakaavanam = the forest of Dandaka.
" 'Rama, the son of Dasaratha the splendid man and the tormentator of enemies, together with Lakshmana, his brother and Seetha entered the forest of Dandaka.'"
तस्य सीता हृता भार्या रावणेन दुरात्मना |
तस्याः सकाशम् दूतो अहम् गमिष्ये राम शासनात् || ५-५८-२५
25. duraatmanaa raavaNena = by the evil-minded Ravana; siitaa = Seetha; tasya bhaaryaa = Rama's wife; hR^itaa = was taken away; raamashaasanaat = by the orders of Rama; aham = I; gamiSye = can go; tasyaaH sakaasham = near to her; duutaH = as an envoy.
" 'The evil-minded Ravana took away Seetha, Rama's wife. By the orders of Rama, I am going to her as an envoy.' "
कर्तुम् अर्हसि रामस्य साह्यम् विषय वासिनि |
अथवा मैथिलीम् दृष्ट्वा रामम् च अक्लिष्ट कारिणम् || ५-५८-२६
आगमिष्यामि ते वक्त्रम् सत्यम् प्रतिशृणोति मे |
26. satii = you staying; viSaye = in Rama's country; arhasi = ought; kartum = to do; saahaayyam = a help; raamasya = to Rama; athavaa = or else; dR^iSTvaa = after seeing; maithiliim = Seetha; raamamcha = and Rama; akliSTa kaariNam = who is unwearied in action; aagamiSyaami = I will come; te = to your; vakraam = mouth; pratishR^iNomi = I am doing a promise; te = to you; satyam = in truth.
"'You, abiding in Rama's country, ought to do a help to Rama. Otherwise, after seeing Seetha and Rama, who is unwearied in action, I will come to your mouth. I am thus promising you in truth."
एवम् उक्ता मया सा तु सुरसा काम रूपिणी || ५-५८-२७
अब्रवीन् न अतिवर्तेत कश्चित् एष वरो मम |
27. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; mayaa = by me; saa surasaa = that Surasa; kaama ruupiNii = who can assume any form at will; abraviit = spoke (as follows); na kshchit = no one; ativarte ta = can violate (me by unfaithfulness); eSaH = this; mama varaH = is my boon.
Hearing my words, that Surasa who can assume any form at her will said: "No one can violate me by unfaithfulness. I have this boon with me."
एवम् उक्तः सुरसया दश योजनम् आयतः || ५-५८-२८
ततो अर्ध गुण विस्तारो बभूव अहम् क्षणेन तु |
28. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; surasayaa = by Surasa; aham = I; aayataH = as tall as; dashayojanam = ten Yojanas; (eighty miles); kSaNena = within a moment; babhuuva = became; ardhaguNavistaaraH = half as much in size (fifteen yojanas or one hundred and twenty miles).
"Hearing the words of Surasa, I, as tall as ten Yojanas (eighty miles), within a moment, grew half as much in size (fifteen Yojanas or one hundred twenty miles)."
मत् प्रमाण अनुरूपम् च व्यादितम् तन् मुखम् तया || ५-५८-२९
तत् दृष्ट्वा व्यादितम् तु आस्यम् ह्रस्वम् हि अकरवम् वपुः |
तस्मिन् मुहूर्ते च पुनः बभूव अन्गुष्ठ सम्मितः || ५-५८-३०
29; 30. mukham = the mouth; vyaaditam = was opened wide; matpramaaNaanuruupam = corresponding to the size of my body; tayaa = by her; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tat vyaaditam = that expanded; aasyam = mouth; akaravam = i made; vapuH = my body; hrasvam = small; tasmin = at that; muhuurte; moment; babhuuva = I became; (reduced) punaH = still; aN^guSThamaatrakaH = is to the size of a human thumb.
"She opened her mouth so wide as to correspond to the size of my body. Seeing her expanded mouth, I assumed a dwarfish form. At that moment, I still became reduced to the size of a human thumb."
अभिपत्य आशु तत् वक्त्रम् निर्गतो अहम् ततः क्षणात् |
अब्रवीत् सुरसा देवी स्वेन रूपेण माम् पुनः || ५-५८-३१
31. abhipatya = after entering; tadvaktram = her mouth; aashu = quickly; aham- I; tataH = then; nirgataH = came out; kSaNaat = instantly; devii = the divine; surasaa = Surasa; svena ruupeNa = in her native form; abraviit = spoke; maam = to me; punaH = again (as follows):
"After entering her mouth quickly, I then came out instantly. The divine Surasa, in her native form, spoke to me again, as follows:
अर्थ सिद्ध्यै हरि श्रेष्ठ गच्छ सौम्य यथा सुखम् |
समानय च वैदेहीम् राघवेण महात्मना || ५-५८-३२
सुखी भव महाबाहो प्रीता अस्मि तव वानर |
32. saumya = O gentle monkey!; harishreSTha = O the foremost among monkeys!; gachchha = go yathaasukham = happily; artha siddhyai = for the fulfillment of your purpose; samaanaya = bring back; vaidehiim = Seetha; mahaatmanaa raaghaveNa = to the magnanimous Rama; mahaabaaho vaanara = O the mighty armed monkey!; bhava sukhii = be happy; priitaasmi = I am pleased; tava = with you.
"'O gently monkey! O the foremost among monkeys! Go happily for the fulfillment of your purpose. Bring back Seetha to the magnanimous Rama. O mighty armed monkey! Be happy. I am pleased with you.'"
ततो अहम् साधु साध्वी इति सर्व भूतैः प्रशंसितः || ५-५८-३३
ततो अन्तरिक्षम् विपुलम् प्लुतो अहम् गरुडो यथा |
33. tataH = then; aham = I; prashamsitaH = was praised; sarva bhuutaiH = by all living beings; saadhu saadhviti = saying; "Good! Well done! Bravo!"; tataH = thereupon; aham = I; plutaH = leapt; vipulam antarikSam = into the extensive sky; garuDo yathaa = like Garuda the eagle; the carrier of Lord Vishnu.
"Then, all living beings praised me! Saying Good! Well done! Bravo! Thereupon, I leapt into the extensive sky, like Garuda the eagle, the carrier of Lord Vishnu."
चाया मे निगृहीता च न च पश्यामि किंचन || ५-५८-३४
सो अहम् विगत वेगः तु दिशो दश विलोकयन् |
न किंचित् तत्र पश्यामि येन मे अपहृता गतिः || ५-५८-३५
34; 35. me = my; chhaayaa = shadow; nigR^ihiitaa = was held fast; na cha pashyaami = I did not perceive; kimchana = anything; vihata vegaH = my speed having been blocked; saH aham = I; vilokayan = surveyed; dasha dishaH = all the ten directions; na cha pashyaami = I could not discover; tatra = there; yena kimchit = any object by which; gataH = my movement; apahR^itaa = was blocked.
"In the meanwhile, my shadow was held fast. Yet, I did not perceive anything. My speed having been blocked, I surveyed all the ten directions. But I could not discover there, any object by which my movement was blocked."
ततो मे बुद्धिः उत्पन्ना किम् नाम गमने मम |
ईदृशो विघ्न उत्पन्नो रूपम् यत्र न दृश्यते || ५-५८-३६
36. tataH = then; me = to me; buddhiH = the thought; utpannaa = arose; yatra = where; gamane = in my journey; na ruupam = no configuration; na dR^ishaH = is being seen; kim naama = what is it?; iidR^ishaH = such; vighnaH = a hindrance; utpannaH = arose?
"Then, the thought arose in me: "How I wonder has such a hindrance arose in my journey, although no concrete configuration is being seen here?"
अधो भागेन मे दृष्टिः शोचता पातिता मया |
ततो अद्राक्षम् अहम् भीमाम् राक्षसीम् सलिले शयाम् || ५-५८-३७
37. shochataa = while it was thus being thought; mayaa = by me; me = my; dR^iSThiH = sight; paatitaa = has fallen; adhobhaagena = downward; tataH = then; aham = I; adraakSam = saw; bhiimaam = a terrible; raakSasiim = female-demons; salileshayaam = lying in water.
"While I was thinking thus, my sight has fallen downward. There, I saw a terrible female-demon lying in water."
प्रहस्य च महानादम् उक्तो अहम् भीमया तया |
अवस्थितम् असम्भ्रान्तम् इदम् वाक्यम् अशोभनम् || ५-५८-३८
38. tayaa = by her; bhiimayaa = who was terrible;aham = I; uktaH = was spoken; idam = these; ashobhanam = bad; vaakyam = words; prahasya mahaanaadam = heartily laughing with a great noise; avasthitam = firmly; asambhraantaam = and without bewilderment.
"Heartily laughing with a great noise, that terrific woman, spoke to me the following inauspicious words, firmly and without any bewilderment (as follows):
क्व असि गन्ता महाकाय क्षुधिताया मम ईप्सितः |
भक्षः प्रीणय मे देहम् चिरम् आहार वर्जितम् || ५-५८-३९
39. mahaakaaya = O gigantic monkey!; kva = where; asi = are you; gantaa = going?; mama = to me; kSudhitaayaaH = who is hungry; priiNaya = gratify; me deham = my person; chiram aahaaravarjitam = which has remained without sustenance for long; iipsitaH bhakSaH = bhakSaH = as my required food.
"O gigantic monkey! Where are you going? You are my requisite food, hungry as I am. Gratify my person, who has remained without sustenance for long."
बाढम् इति एव ताम् वाणीम् प्रत्यगृह्णाम् अहम् ततः |
आस्य प्रमाणात् अधिकम् तस्याः कायम् अपूरयम् || ५-५८-४०
40. baaDam ityeva = saying 'Amen'; aham = I; pratyagR^ihNaam = actually accepted; taam vaaNiim = those words; tataH = thereupon; apuurayan = I expanded; deham = my body; adhikam tasyaaH aasyapraamaaNaat = to a size larger than the capacity of her mouth.
"Saying 'Amen', I actually accepted those words. Thereupon, I expanded my body to a size larger than the capacity of her mouth."
तस्याः च आस्यम् महत् भीमम् वर्धते मम भक्षणे |
न च माम् सा तु बुबुधे मम वा विकृतम् कृतम् || ५-५८-४१
41. tasyaaH = her; mahat = large; bhiimam = terrific; aasyam cha = mouth too; vardhate = began to grow; mama bhakSaNe = to devour me; na bubudhe = she could not understand; saadhu = well; mama vaa = either about me; mama kR^itam vikR^itam = or about the change subsequently gone through by me (in the shape of a minute form)
"Her terrific large mouth too began to grow to devour me. She could not understand well about me or about the change subsequently gone through by me (in the shape of a minute form)"
ततो अहम् विपुलम् रूपम् सम्क्षिप्य निमिष अन्तरात् |
तस्या हृदयम् आदाय प्रपतामि नभः तलम् || ५-५८-४२
42. tataH = then; samkSipya = having contracted; vipulam ruupam = my large body; nimiSantaraat = within another moment; aham = I; aadaaya = having taken off; hR^idayam = her heart; prapataami = leapt; nabhasthalam = into the sky.
"Then, having contracted my large body within another moment, I extracted her heart and leapt back into the sky."
सा विसृष्ट भुजा भीमा पपात लवण अम्भसि |
मया पर्वत सम्काशा निकृत्त हृदया सती || ५-५८-४३
43. nikR^ittahR^idayaa satii = when her heart has been cut off; mayaa = by me; bhiimaa = the terrific; sea = simhika; parvatasamkaashaa = looking like a mountain; papaata = fell; lavaNaambhasi = into the ocean; visR^iSTa bhujaa = with her arms allowed to flow in it.
"When her heart has been cut off by me, that terrific Simhika looking like a mountain, fell into the ocean with her arms emanating from it."
शृणोमि ख गतानाम् च सिद्धानाम् चारणैः सह |
राक्षसी सिम्हिका भीमा क्षिप्रम् हनुमता हृता || ५-५८-४४
44. shR^iNomi = I heard; siddhaanaam = great sages; chaaraNaiH saha = along with the wandering celestial singers; khagataanaam = moving in the sky; (saying that); simhikaa = Simhika; bhiimaa raakSasii = the dreadful female-demon; kSipram hataa = was instantly killed; hanumataa = by Hanuma.
"I heard great sages along with wandering celestial singers, moving in the sky, saying that Simhika the dreadful demon was instantly killed by Hanuma."
ताम् हत्वा पुनः एव अहम् कृत्यम् आत्ययिकम् स्मरन् |
गत्वा च महत् अध्वानम् पश्यामि नग मण्डितम् || ५-५८-४५
दक्षिणम् तीरम् उदधेः लन्का यत्र च सा पुरी |
45. hatvaa = after killing; taam = her; punareva = and again; smaran = recollecting; kR^ityam = the task; aatyayikam = to be done quickly; gatvaa = travelling; mahat adhvaanam = a great distance; aham = I; pashyaami = saw; dakSiNam tiiram = the southern shore; udadhah = of the ocean; yatra = where; saa = that; laN^kaapurii = City of Lanka; naga maNDitam = was adorned with trees.
"After killing her and again recollecting the task to be performed quickly, I travelled for a long distance and saw the southern shore of the ocean, where that City of Lanka, adorned with its trees, was situated."
अस्तम् दिन करे याते रक्षसाम् निलयम् पुरीम् || ५-५८-४६
प्रविष्टो अहम् अविज्ञातो रक्षोभिः भीम विक्रमैः |
46. dinakare astam yaate = while the sun was setting; aham = I; avijJNaataH = without being noticed; rakSobhiH = by the demons; bhiima vikramaiH = of dreadful prowess; praviSTaH = entered; puram = the City of Lanka; nilayam = the abode; rakSasaam = of demons.
"While the sun was setting, I, without being noticed by the demons of dreadful prowess, entered the city of Lanka, the abode of demons."
तत्र प्रविशतश्चापि कल्पान्तघनसन्निभा || ५-५८-४७
अट्टहासम् विमुञ्चन्ती नारी काप्युत्थिता पुरः |
47. puraH = in front; pravishataH = of me entering; tatra = that city; kaapi naarii = a woman; kalpaanta ghana sannibhaa = resembling a cloud at the time of dissolution of the world; utthitaa = rose; vimuN^chantii = emitting; aTTahaasam = a loud laughter.
"While I was entering the City, a woman, resembling a cloud at the time of dissolution of the world, stood up in front of me, emitting a loud laughter."
जिघांसन्तीम् ततस्ताम् तु ज्वलदग्निशिरोरुहाम् || ५-५८-४८
सव्यमुष्टिप्रहारेण पराजित्य सुभैरवाम् |
प्रदोषकाले प्रविशम् भीतयाहम् तयोदितः || ५-५८-४९
48; 49. tataH = then; paarajitya = defeating; taam = her; jvaladagnishiroruhaam = having her hair looking like a blazing fire; subhairavaam = and very terrific; jighaamsantiim = desirous of killing me; savyamuSTi prahaareNa = with a blow of the fist of my left hand; pravisham = and entered (the land); pradoSa kaale = at the dusk of early night; aham = I; uditah = was spoken (as follows); tayaa = by her; bhiitayaa = duly frightened.
"Then defeating that woman, having her hair looking terrific like a blazing fire and who was trying to kill me, by striking her with a blow of the fist of my left hand and entered the land of Lanka at the dusk of early night. she, being frightened, spoke to me as follows:
अहम् लङ्कापुरी वीर निर्जिता विक्रमेण ते |
यस्मात्तस्माद्विजेतासि सर्वरक्षांस्यशेषतः || ५-५८-५०
50. viira = O; hero!; aham = I am; laN^kaapurii = the City of Lanka; yasmaat tasmaat = therefore; te vikramaNe = by your prowess; nirjitaa = which conquered me; vijetaasi = you can defeat; asheSataH = completely; sarva rakSaamsi = all the demons.
"O hero! I am (the personified) City of Lanka. Therefore, by the same prowess you conquered me, you can defeat all the demons here completely."
तत्र अहम् सर्व रात्रम् तु विचिन्वन् जनक आत्मजाम् |
रावण अन्तः पुर गतो न च अपश्यम् सुमध्यमाम् || ५-५८-५१
51. vinchinvaa = searching; tatra = there; janakaatmajam = for Seetha; sarva raatram = the whole night; raavaNaantaH puragataH = after going to Ravana's gynaecium; aham = I; na apashyam cha = could not find; sumadhyamaam = that Seetha; the slender-waisted lady.
"Searching there for Seetha that whole night in Ravana's gynaecium, I could not find that Seetha, the slender-waisted lady."
ततः सीताम् अपश्यन् तु रावणस्य निवेशने |
शोक सागरम् आसाद्य न पारम् उपलक्षये || ५-५८-५२
52. apashyamstu = unable to find; siitaam = Seetha; raavaNasya niveshane = in Ravana's dwelling; aasaadya = and reaching; shokasaagaram = a sea of sorrow; na upalakSyate = I could not perceive; paaram = its other shore; tataH = then.
"Unable to find Seetha in Ravana's dwelling and facing a sea of sorrow, I could not then perceive its other shore."
शोचता च मया दृष्टम् प्राकारेण समावृतम् |
कान्चनेन विकृष्टेन गृह उपवनम् उत्तमम् || ५-५८-५३
53. mayaa = by me; shochataa = who was bemoaning; uttamam = an excellent; gR^ihopavanam = grove near the house; samaavR^itam = concealed; vikR^iSTena praakaareNa = by a prolonged fence; kaaNchanena = of golden colour; dR^iSTam = was seen.
"While bemoaning, I saw an excellent grove near that gynaecium, concealed by a prolonged fence painted with golden colour."
स प्राकारम् अवप्लुत्य पश्यामि बहु पादपम् |
अशोक वनिका मध्ये शिंशपा पादपो महान् || ५-५८-५४
तम् आरुह्य च पश्यामि कान्चनम् कदली वनम् |
54. avaplutya = crossing; praakaaram = the fence; saH = I as such; pashyaami = saw; bahupaadapam = that grove; having copious trees; ashokavanikaamadhye = amidst that Ashoka garden; mahaan shimshupaa paadapah = was a large Shimshupa tree; aaruhya = ascending; tam = it; pashyaami = I saw; kaaN^chanam kadaLiivanam = yellow-pigmented thicket of banana plants.
Crossing the fence, I saw that grove having copious trees. Amidst that Ashoka garden, I saw a large Shimshupa* garden. After ascending it, I beheld an yellow-pigmented thicket of banana plants."
* Botanical name: Delbergia sissoo.
अदूरात् शिंशपा वृक्षात् पश्यामि वन वर्णिनीम् || ५-५८-५५
श्यामाम् कमल पत्र अक्षीम् उपवास कृश आननाम् |
तदेकवासःसंवीताम् रजोध्वस्तशिरोरुहाम् || ५-५८-५६
शोकसन्तापदीनाङ्गीम् सीताम् भर्तृहिते स्थिताम् |
राक्षसीभिः विरूपाभिः क्रूराभिः अभिसम्वृताम् || ५-५८-५७
मांस शोणित भक्ष्याभिः व्याघ्रीभिः हरिणीम् यथा |
55;56;57. aduuraat = not far; shimshupaa vR^ikSaat = from Shimshupa tree; pashyaami = I saw; siitaam = Seetha; shyaamaam vara vaNiniim = of youthful complexion; kamala patraakSiim = with eyes like louts petals; upavaasakR^ishaananaam = with her face emaciated by fasting; tadeka vaasaH samvitaam = clad in a single piece of cloth; rajodhvasta shiroruhaam = with her hair soiled with dust; shoka samtaapa diinaaN^giim = her limbs afflicted with grief and agony; sthitaam bhartR^ihite = devoted to the good of her lord; abhisamvR^itaam = surrounded on all sides; hariNiimiva = as a doe; vyaaghriibhiH = encircled by tigresses; raakSasiibhiH = by female-demons; viruupaabhiH = who were ugly; kruuraabhiH = and who were cruel; maamsa shoNita bhakSaabhiH = living on flesh and blood.
"Not far from that Shimshupa tree. I saw Seetha, of youthful complexion, with eyes looking like lotus-petals, with her face emaciated by fasting, clad in a single piece of cloth, her hair soiled with dust, her limbs afflicted with grief and agony, devoted as she was to the good of her lord and surrounded on all sides by ugly and cruel female-demons living on flesh and blood, as a doe encircled by tigresses."
सा मया राक्षसीमध्ये तर्ज्यमाना मुहुर्महुः || ५-५८-५८
एकवेणीधरा दीना भर्तृचिन्तापरायणा |
भूमिशय्या विवर्णाङ्गी पद्मिनीव हिमागमे || ५-५८-५९
रावणाद्विनिवृत्तार्था मर्तव्यकृतनिश्चया |
कथंचिन्मृगशाबाक्षी तूर्णमासादिता मया || ५-५८-६०
58; 59; 60. saa = she; tarjyamaana = who was being frightened; muhurmuhuH = again and again; ekaveNiidharaa = putting on a single braid of hair; diinaa = looking depressed; bhartR^ichintaaparaayaNaa = wholly devoted to the thought about her lord; bhuumishayya = with floor as her bedstead; vivarNaaN^gii = pale-limbed; padminiiva = like a lotus-stalk; himaagame = in a cool season; vinivR^ittaarthaa = turning away the request; raavaNaat = from Ravana; martavya kR^itanishchayaa = being determined to die; aasaaditaa = was found; mayaa = by me; raakSasiimadhye = amidst female-demons; mR^igashaabaakSii = Seetha with her eyes like those of a deer; aasaaditaa = was found; kathamchit = somehow; tuurNam = quickly; mayaa = by me.
"Seetha, who had eyes like those of a deer, was somehow quickly found by me looking depressed in the amidst of female-demons, frightened (as she was by them) again and again, putting on a single braid of hair (as a mark of desolation), wholly devoted to the thought of her lord, having floor as her bedstead, pale-limbed like a lotus-stalk in a cool season, turning away the request of Ravana, and determined to die."
ताम् दृष्ट्वा तादृशीम् नारीम् राम पत्नीम् अनिन्दिताम् |
तत्र एव शिंशपा वृक्षे पश्यन्न् अहम् अवस्थितः || ५-५८-६१
61. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; taam = that; yashasviniim = illustrious; raamapatniim = consort of Rama; neariim = the woman; taadR^ishiim = in such a state; aham = I; avasthitaH = stayed; tatra = there; pashyan = looking (at her); shimshupaavR^ikSe eva = in the same Simsupa tree.
"Seeing that illustrious woman, the consort of Rama in such a state, I stayed perched on the same Simsupa tree, looking at her."
ततो हलहला शब्दम् कान्ची नूपुर मिश्रितम् |
शृणोमि अधिक गम्भीरम् रावणस्य निवेशने || ५-५८-६२
62. tataH = then; shR^iNomi = I heard; adhikagambhiiram = an exceedingly roaring; hala halaashabdam = and halloing sound; kaaN^chiinuupura mishritam = mixed with sounds of girdles and anklets; raavaNasya niveshane = in the abode of Ravana.
"Meanwhile, I heard an exceedingly roaring and hallooing sound, mixed with sounds of girdles and anklets in the abode of Ravana."
ततो अहम् परम उद्विग्नः स्वरूपम् प्रत्यसम्हरम् |
अहम् च शिंशपा वृक्षे पक्षी इव गहने स्थितः || ५-५८-६३
63. tataH = then; aham = I; paramodvignaH = was very much frightened; pratyasamharam = and contracted; svam ruupam = my physique; aham tu = I; for my part; sthitaH = remained; pakSiiva = like a bird; gahane shimshupaavR^ikSe = hidden in the dense Simsupa tree.
"Then, I was very much frightened and contracted my physique. I, on my part, remained hidden like a bird in that Simsupa tree dense with foliage.'"
ततो रावण दाराः च रावणः च महाबलः |
तम् देशम् समनुप्राप्ता यत्र सीता अभवत् स्थिता || ५-५८-६४
64. tataH = then; mahaabalah = the mighty; raavaNashcha = Ravana; raavaNa daaraashcha = and Ravana's wives; samanupraaptaaH = reached; tam = that desham = place; yatra = where; siitaa = Seetha; abhavat sthitaa = was situated.
"Then, the mighty Ravana and his wives reached that place where Seetha was staying."
तम् दृष्ट्वा अथ वराअरोहा सीता रक्षो गण ईश्वरम् |
सम्कुच्य ऊरू स्तनौ पीनौ बाहुभ्याम् परिरभ्य च || ५-५८-६५
65. atha = thereupon; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = that Ravana; rakSogaNeshvaram = the cheif of a troop of demons; siitaa = Seetha; varaarohaa = with an excellent waist; samkuchya = (sat) compressing; uuruu = her thighs; parirabhya cha = and enclosing; piinau stanau = her swollen breasts; baahubhyaam = with her arms.
"Thereupon, seeing that Ravana the chief of a troop of demons, Seetha with her lovely waist, sat compressing her thighs enclosing her swollen breasts with her arms."
वित्रस्ताम् परमोद्विग्नाम् वीक्षमाणामितस्ततः |
त्राणम् किंचिदपश्यन्तीम् वेपमानाम् तपस्विनीम् || ५-५८-६६
ताम् उवाच दशग्रीवः सीताम् परम दुह्खिताम् |
अवाक् शिराः प्रपतितो बहु मन्यस्व माम् इति || ५-५८-६७
66; 67. dashagriivaH = Ravana; aavaakchiraa = bowing his head; prapatitaH = and coming down; uvaacha = spoke; taam siitaam = to that Seetha; vitrastaam = who was frightened; paramodvignaani = very much grieving for her lord; viikSamaaNaani = who was glancing; tatastataH = hither and thither; apashyantiim = not seeing; kimchit = any; traaNam = protection; vepamaanaam = trembling; tapasviniim = distressed; parama duHkhitaam = and extremely sorrowful; iti = saying; maam bahumanyasva = 'Treat me with respect'.
"Ravana, bowing his head and coming down, spoke (as follows) to that Seetha who was frightened, very much grieving for her lord, glancing hither and thither, not finding any protection for her, trembling, distressed and extremely sorrowful saying, 'Treat me with respect.'"
यदि चेत् त्वम् तु माम् दर्पान् न अभिनन्दसि गर्विते |
द्वौ मास अनन्तरम् सीते पास्यामि रुधिरम् तव || ५-५८-६८
68. garvite = O arrogant lady!; siite = O Seetha!; tvam na abhinandasi yadichet = I you refuse; na abhinandasi yadichachet = If you refuse; maam = me; darpaat = by your arrogance; paasyaami = I will be drinking; tava rudhiram = your blood; dvau maasau antaram = after a period of two months.
" 'O arrogant lady! O Seetha! If you refuse me by your arrogance, I will be drinking your blood after a period of two months.'"
एतत् श्रुत्वा वचः तस्य रावणस्य दुरात्मनः |
उवाच परम क्रुद्धा सीता वचनम् उत्तमम् || ५-५८-६९
69. shrutvaa = hearing; etat = these; vachaH = words; tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; duraatmanaH = the evil-minded; siitaa = Seetha; parama kruddhaa = very much irritated; uvaacha = spoke; uttamam = excellent; vachanam = words (as follows):
"Hearing those words of the evil-minded Ravana, Seetha was very much irritated and spoke the following excellent words:
राक्षस अधम रामस्य भार्याम् अमित तेजसः |
इक्ष्वाकु कुल नाथस्य स्नुषाम् दशरथस्य च || ५-५८-७०
अवाच्यम् वदतो जिह्वा कथम् न पतिता तव |
70. katham = how; tava jihvaa = did your tongue; na patitaa = not fall off; raakSasaadham = O the worst demon; vadataH = by speaking; avaachyam = such words not to be uttered; raamasya bhaaryaam = to the consort of Rama; amita tejasaH = of boundless glory; suuSaamcha = and the daughter-in-law; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; ikSvaaku kulanaathasya = the lord of Ikshvaku dynasty?
"How did your tongue not fall of, O the worst demon, by speaking such words not to be uttered, to the consort of Rama, of boundless glory, and the daughter-in-law of Dasaratha the lord of Ikshvaku dynasty?"
किंस्वित् वीर्यम् तव अनार्य यो माम् भर्तुः असम्निधौ || ५-५८-७१
अपहृत्य आगतः पाप तेन अदृष्टो महात्मना |
71. anaarya = O ignoble soul!; paapa = O sinful one! bhartuH asmnidhau = during the absence of my husband; yaH aagataH = when you came; adR^iSTaH = without being noticed; mahaatmanaa tena = by that great soul; apahR^itya = abducting; maam = me; kimchit = of what account; tava viiryam = is your prowess?
"O ignoble soul! Of what account is your prowess, when you came unnoticed during the absence of my lord, that great soul and abducted me, O sinful one?"
न त्वम् रामस्य सदृशो दास्ये अपि अस्या न युज्यसे || ५-५८-७२
यज्ञीयः सत्य वाक् चैव रण श्लाघी च राघवः |
72. tvam = you; na sadR^ishaH = have no similarity; raamasya = to Rama; na yujyase = you are not fit; daasye.api = even to do service; asya = to him; raaghavaH = Rama; yajJNiiyaH = performs sacrifices; satya vaadii = speaks only truth; raNashlaaghiicha = and praise-worthy in battle.
" 'You have no similarity with Rama. You are unfit even to do service to Rama. Rama performs sacrifices. He speaks only truth. He is a lover of battle'."
जानक्या परुषम् वाक्यम् एवम् उक्तो दश आननः || ५-५८-७३
जज्वाल सहसा कोपाच् चितास्थ इव पावकः |
73. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; paruSam = harshly; jaanakyaa = by Seetha; dashaananaH = Ravana; sahasaa = at once; jajvaala = was ablaze; kopaat = with anger; paavakaH iva = like a fire; chitaasthaH = in a pile of wood.
"Hearing these harsh words from Seetha, Ravana was at once ablaze with anger, as a fire blazes in a pile of wood."
विवृत्य नयने क्रूरे मुष्टिम् उद्यम्य दक्षिणम् || ५-५८-७४
मैथिलीम् हन्तुम् आरब्धः स्त्रीभिः हाहा कृतम् तदा |
74. vivR^itya = rolling; kruure nayane = his cruel eyes; udyamya = and lifting; dakSiNam muSTim = his right fist; aarbdhaH = he began; hantum = to kill; maithiliim = Seetha; tadaa = then; haahaakR^itam = an alarm was raised; striibhiH = by the women.
" 'Rolling his cruel eyes and lifting his right fist, Ravana was about to kill Seetha. Then, an alarm was raised by a women there'."
स्त्रीणाम् मध्यात् समुत्पत्य तस्य भार्या दुरात्मनः || ५-५८-७५
वरा मन्द उदरी नाम तया स प्रतिषेधितः |
75. varaa = a royal woman; manDodarii naama = named Mandodari; bhaarya = the wife; tasya duraatmanaH = of that evil-minded Ravana; samutpatya = springing up; madhyaat = from the midst; striiNaam = of the woman; sah = he; pratiSeditah = was restrained; tayaa = by her.
"Springing up from the midst of those women, a royal woman named Mandodari, the wife of that evil-minded Ravana, ran to him. He was restrained by her."
उक्तः च मधुराम् वाणीम् तया स मदन अर्दितः || ५-५८-७६
सीतया तव किम् कार्यम् महाइन्द्र सम विक्रम |
76. saH = Ravana; madanaarditaH = tormented with love; uktashcha = was spoken; madhuraam = sweet; vaacham = words; tayaa = by her; (as follows); mahendra samavikrama = O the one having a prowess equal to that of Indra!; kim kaaryam = of what need; siitayaa = is with Seetha; tava = to you?
"She spoke to Ravana, smitten with love, the following sweet words: 'O Ravana having a prowess similar to that of Indra! Of what need is with Seetha to you?"
देव गन्धर्व कन्याभिः यक्ष कन्याभिः एव च || ५-५८-७७
सार्धम् प्रभो रमस्व इह सीतया किम् करिष्यसि |
77. prabho = O Lord! ramasya = enjoy yourself; iha = here; deva gandharva kanyaabhiH = with daughters of gods Gandharvas the celestial musicians; yakSakanyaabhirevacha saardham = and Yakshas the semi divine beings kimkariSyasi = what will you do; siitayaa = with Seetha?
" 'O lord! Enjoy yourself with the daughters of gods, Gandharvas the celestial musicians and Yakshas the semi-divine beings. What will you do with Seetha?'"
ततः ताभिः समेताभिः नारीभिः स महाबलः || ५-५८-७८
उत्थाप्य सहसा नीतो भवनम् स्वम् निशा चरः |
78. tataH = thereupon; saH mahaabalaH = that mighty; nishaacharaH = Ravana; prasaadya = was propitiated; taabhiH naaribhiH = by those women; sametaabhiH = joined together; niitaH = and was taken; sahasaa = quickly; svam bhavanam = to his palace.
"Thereupon, those women together propitiated that mighty Ravana and quickly took him to his palace."
याते तस्मिन् दशग्रीवे राक्षस्यो विकृत आननाः || ५-५८-७९
सीताम् निर्भर्त्सयाम् आसुः वाक्यैः क्रूरैः सुदारुणैः |
79. tasmin dashagriive yaate = when that Ravana left; vikrutaananaaH = the ugly-faced; raakSasyaH = female-demons; nirbhartasyaamaasuH = frightened; siitaam = Seetha; kruuraiH sudaarunaiH vaakyaiH = with their cruel and very dreadful words.
"When that Ravana left, the ugly-faced female-demons frightened. Seetha with their cruel and very dreadful words."
तृणवत् भाषितम् तासाम् गणयामास जानकी || ५-५८-८०
तर्जितम् च तदा तासाम् सीताम् प्राप्य निरर्थकम् |
80. jaanakii = Seetha; gaNayaamaasa = reckoned; bhaaSitam = the utterance; taasaam = of those women; tR^iNavat = as a blade of grass; tadaa = at that time; garjitam = the roaring; taasaam = of those female-demons; praapya = reached; siitaam = Seetha; ninarthakam = in vain.
"Seetha reckoned the utterance of those women as a blade of grass. At that time, the roaring of those female-demons reached Seetha in vain."
वृथा गर्जित निश्चेष्टा राक्षस्यः पिशित अशनाः || ५-५८-८१
रावणाय शशंसुः ताः सीता अव्यवसितम् महत् |
81. vR^ithaagarjitanishcheSTaaH = being helpless; as their raoring became waste; taaH raakSasyaH = those female-demons; pishitaashnanaaH = eating raw flesh; shashamsuH = reported; tat = that; mahat = great; siitaadhyavasitam = determination of Seetha; raavaNaaya = to Ravana.
"As their roaring frittered away, those flesh-eating female-demons became helpless and reported that great resolve of Seetha to Ravana."
ततः ताः सहिताः सर्वा विहत आशा निरुद्यमाः || ५-५८-८२
परिक्षिप्य समन्तात् ताम् निद्रा वशम् उपागताः |
82. tataH = thereafter; sarvaaaH = all; taaH = those women; sahitaaH = joined together; vihataashaaH = warded off their hopes; nirudyamaaH = held back their effort; samantaat = and in the end; upaagataaH = samantaat = and in the end; upaagataaH = entered to a condition; nidraavasham = overpowered with sleep; parikSipya = encircling; taam = Seetha.
"Thereafter, all those women joined together, warded off their hopes and held back their effort. In the end, they encircled Seetha and were overpowered with sleep."
तासु चैव प्रसुप्तासु सीता भर्तृ हिते रता || ५-५८-८३
विलप्य करुणम् दीना प्रशुशोच सुदुह्खिता |
83. taasu prasuptaasu = when those women went to sleep; siitaa = Seetha; rataa = intent upon; bhartR^ihite = the welfare of her husband; prashushocha = was deeply aggrieved; diinaa = miserable; suduHkhita = and sore distressed as she was vilapya = lamenting; karuNam = pitifully.
"When those women went to sleep, Seetha, intent upon the welfare of her husband, was deeply aggrieved, miserable and sore depressed as she was, lamenting pitifully."
तासाम् मध्यात्समुत्थाय त्रिजटा वाक्यमब्रवीत् || ५-५८-८४
आत्मानम् खादत क्षिप्रम् न सीता विनशिष्यति |
जनकस्यात्मजा साध्वी स्नुष दशरथस्य च || ५-५८-८५
84; 85. trijaTa = TrijaTa; samutthaaya = rising; madhyaat = from the midst; taasaam = of those female-demons; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; khaadata = devour; aatmaanam = yourself; khhipram = quickly; siitaa = Seetha; aatmajaa = the daughter; janakasya = of Janaka; saadhvii = a virtuous woman; snuSaa = and the daughter-in-law; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; na vinashyati = does not get destroyed.
"Trijata, rising from the midst of those female-demons, spoke the following words; 'Feed on yourself quickly rather than on Seetha, the daughter of Janaka, a virtuous woman and the daughter-in-law of Dasartha who des not get destroyed'."
स्वप्नो ह्यद्य मया दृष्टो दारुणो रोमहर्षणः |
रक्षसाम् च विनाशाय भर्तुरस्या जयाय च || ५-५८-८६
86. daaruNaH = A dreadful; svapnaH = dream; romaharSaNaH = causing my hair to stand erect; dR^iSTaH = has been seen; mayaa = by me; adya = now; vinaashaayacha = for the ruin; rakSasaam = of demons; jayaayacha = and for the victory; asyaaH = of her; bhartuH = husband.
"'Now, I have seen a dreadful dream, causing my hair to stand erect. It is pointing towards the ruin of our demons and the victory of her husband."
अलमस्मात्परित्रातुम् राघवाद्रक्षसीगणम् |
अभियाचाम वैदेहीमेतद्धि मम रोचते || ५-५८-८७
87. abhiyaachaama = we will pray; vaidehiim = Seetha; alam = (who is) enough; paritraatum = to protect; raakSasiigaNam = our female-demons; asmaat raaghavaat = from this Rama; etat = this; rochate hi = is indeed agreable; mam = to me.
" �We will pray Seetha, who is capable of protecting all our female-demons from Rama. I feel that it is batter for us'."
यस्या ह्येवम्विधः स्वप्नो दुःखितायाः प्रदृश्यते |
सा दुःखैर्विविधैर्मुक्ता सुखमाप्नोत्यनुत्तमम् || ५-५८-८८
प्रणिपातप्रसन्ना हि मैथिली जनकात्मजा |
88. evam vidhaH svapnaH = (when) such a dream; pradR^ishyate = is seen; yasyaaH duHkhitaayaaH = while a woman is weeping; saa = that woman; vimuktaaH = being relieved; vividhaiH duHkhaiH = from many kinds of sorrows; aapnoti = will obtain; anuttamam sukham = utmost happiness; maithilii = Seetha; janakaatmajaa = the daughter of Janaka; praNipaataprasannaa hi = indeed gets pleased on receiving a salutation indeed gets pleased on receiving.
" 'When such a dream is seen while a woman is weeping, that woman gets relieved of many kinds of sorrows and will obtain happiness. Seetha, the daughter of Janaka, indeed will be pleased on receiving a salutation'."
ततह् सा ह्रीमती बाला भर्तुर्विजयहर्षिता || ५-५८-८९
अवोचद्यदि तत्तथ्यम् भवेयम् शरणम् हि वः |
89. vijaya harSitaa = delighted at (hearing of) the victory; bhartuH = of her lord; saa baalaa = that girl; Seetha; tataH = then; hriimati = bashfully; avochat = spoke; tat tathyamyadi = If it is true; bhaveyam = I will be; sharaNam hi = indeed a refuge; vaH = to you.
"Delighted at hearing the victory of her lord, that girl Seetha then basfully spoke: 'If it is true, I will be protecting you all'."
ताम् च अहम् तादृशीम् दृष्ट्वा सीताया दारुणाम् दशाम् |
चिन्तयामास विश्रान्तो न च मे निर्वृतम् मनः || ५-५८-९०
90. vishraantaH = taking rest; dR^iSTvaa = and seeing; taam = that; daaruNaam = dreadful; dashaam = situation; taadR^ishiim = as such; aham = I; chintayaamasa = reflected upon it; me = my; manaH = mind; na nirvR^itam = could not satisfy itself.
"Taking rest for some time and seeing such a dreadful state of Seetha, I reflected upon it. My mind could not satisfy itself."
सम्भाषण अर्थे च मया जानक्याः चिन्तितो विधिः || ५-५८-९१
इक्ष्वाकु कुल वंशः तु ततो मम पुरः कृतः |
91. vidhuH = a means; sambhaaSaNaartham = for doing a conversation; jaanakyaaH = with Seetha; chintitaH = was thought of; mayaa = by me; tataH = then; ikSvaakuuNaam vamshastu = Ikshvaku's dynasty; puraskR^itaH = was placed in front; mama = by me.
"Thinking about a means for starting a conversation with Seetha, I started to describe the history of Ikshvaku's dynasty."
श्रुत्वा तु गदिताम् वाचम् राज ऋषि गण पूजिताम् || ५-५८-९२
प्रत्यभाषत माम् देवी बाष्पैः पिहित लोचना |
92. shrutvaa = hearing; vaacham = the words; gaditaam = spoken by me; raajarSigaNa puujitaam = adored by assemblies of royal sages; devii = Seetha the princess; baaSpaiH pihita lochanaa = with her eyes filled with tears; pratyabhaaSata = spoke; maa = to me (as follows)
"Hearing the words spoken by me, which are adored by the assemblies of royal sages, Seetha the princess, with her eyes filled with tears, spoke to me, as follows:"
कः त्वम् केन कथम् च इह प्राप्तो वानर पुम्गव || ५-५८-९३
का च रामेण ते प्रीतिः तन् मे शंसितुम् अर्हसि |
93. vaanara puN^gava = O the foremost among the monkeys!; kaH = who; tvam = are you?; kena = why; katham = and how; praaptaH = did you come; iha = here?; kaa = what; priitiH = friendship; te = to you; raameNa = with Rama?; arhasi = you ought; shamsitum = to tell; tat = it; me = to me.
" 'O the foremost among the monkeys! Who are you? Why did you come here? How did you come? What type of friendship do you have with Rama? You ought to tell me all this?"
तस्याः तत् वचनम् श्रुत्वा अहम् अपि अब्रुवम् वचः || ५-५८-९४
देवि रामस्य भर्तुः ते सहायो भीम विक्रमः |
सुग्रीवो नाम विक्रान्तो वानर इन्दो महाबलः || ५-५८-९५
94; 95. shrutvaa = Hearing; tat vachanam = those words; tasyaaH = of Seetha; aham api = I; abruvat = spoke; vachaH = (the following) words; devi = O princess!; vikraantaH = the courageous; vaanarendraH = king of monkeys; sugriivo naama = by name Sugreeva; mahaabalah = a mighty; sahaayaH = companion; bhartuH = to your husband; bhiima vikramaH = having a terrific prowess.
"Hearing those words of Seetha, I spoke the following words: 'O princess! There is a courageous king of monkeys, by name Sugreeva, who is a mighty companion to your husband, possessing a terrific prowess."
तस्य माम् विद्धि भृत्यम् त्वम् हनूमन्तम् इह आगतम् |
भर्त्रा अहम् प्रहितः तुभ्यम् रामेण अक्लिष्ट कर्मणा || ५-५८-९६
96. tvam = you; viddhi = know; maam = me; aagatam = who came; iha = here; hanumantam = as Hanuma; tasya bhR^ityam = a servant of that Sugreeva; aham = I; preSitaH = was sent; tubhyam = for you; raameNa = by Rama; bhartraa = your husband; akliSTakarmaNaa = who is unwearied in action.
"Know me, who came here, as Hanuma, a servant of that Sugreeva, Rama, you husband, who is unwearied in his actions, sent me here for your sake."
इदम् च पुरुष व्याघ्रः श्रीमान् दाशरथिः स्वयम् |
अन्गुलीयम् अभिज्ञानम् अदात् तुभ्यम् यशस्विनि || ५-५८-९७
97. yashasvini = O illustrious lady!; daasharathiH = Rama; puruSavyaaghraH = the foremost among men; shriimaan = and the glorious man; adaat = gave; idam = this; aN^guliiyam = finger-ring; svayam = personally; tubhyam = to you; abhiJNaanam = as a token of remembrance.
"O illustrious lady! Rama, the foremost among men and the glorious man, gave this finger-ring personally to you as a token of remembrance."
तत् इच्छामि त्वया आज्ञप्तम् देवि किम् करवाणि अहम् |
राम लक्ष्मणयोः पार्श्वम् नयामि त्वाम् किम् उत्तरम् || ५-५८-९८
98. devi = O princess!; tat = for that reason; ichchhaami = I wish to have; aaJNaptam = a command; tvayaa = by you; kim = what; aham = karavaaNi = am I do?; nayaami = I shall take; tvaam = you; paarshvam = to the proximity; raamalakSmaNayoH = of Rama and Lakshmana; kim = what; uttaram = is your reply?
"O princess! For that reason, I wish to have a command from you. What am I to do? I shall take you to the proximity of Rama and Lakshmana. What do you say?"
एतत् श्रुत्वा विदित्वा च सीता जनक नन्दिनी |
आह रावणम् उत्साद्य राघवो माम् नयतु इति || ५-५८-९९
99. shrutvaa = hearing; etat = these words; viditvaacha = and understanding them; siitaa = Seetha; janakanandinii = the daughter of Janaka; aaha = said; iti = as follows; raaghavaH = (Let) Rama; nayatu = take me; utsaadya = after killing; raavaNam = Ravana.
"Hearing my words and understanding them, Seetha the daughter of Janaka said as follows: 'Let Rama take me back, after killing Ravana'."
प्रणम्य शिरसा देवीम् अहम् आर्याम् अनिन्दिताम् |
राघवस्य मनो ह्लादम् अभिज्ञानम् अयाचिषम् || ५-५८-१००
100. praNamya = shirasaa = bowing my head in salutation; deviim = to Seetha; aaryaam = the noble; aninditaam = and irreproachable woman; ayaachiSam = I asked for; abhiJNaanam = a token of remembrance; manohlaadam = gladdening the heart; raaghavasya = of Rama.
"Bowing my head in salutation to the noble and irreproachable Seetha, I asked for a token of remembrance which would gladden the heart of Rama."
अथ मामब्रवीत्सीता गृह्यतामयम्त्तमः |
मणिर्येन महाबाहू रामस्त्वाम् बहुमन्यते || ५-५८-१०१
101. atha = then; siitaa = Seetha; abraviit = spoke; maam = to me (as follows); ayam uttamaH maNiH = (Let) this best jewel; gR^ihyataam = be taken; yena = by which; mahaabaahuH = the long armed; raamaH = Rama; bahumanyate = will be having a high opinion of; tvaam = you.
"Then, Seetha spoke to me as follows: 'Let this foremost jewel, be taken, by which the long-armed Rama will be having a high opinion of you'."
एवम् उक्ता वराअरोहा मणि प्रवरम् उत्तमम् |
प्रायच्छत् परम उद्विग्ना वाचा माम् संदिदेश ह || ५-५८-१०२
102. uktvaa = uttering; iti = in this way; varaarohaa = Seetha; having fine hips; praayachchhat = gave; adbhutam = the wonderful; maNipravaram = and the foremost jewel; paramodvignaa = highly sorrowful; samdidesha ha = she gave a message too; vaachaa = in words; maam = to me.
"Speaking thus, Seetha having fine hips, gave that wonderful and the foremost jewel. Highly distressed, she gave a message also in words to me."
ततः तस्यै प्रणम्य अहम् राज पुत्र्यै समाहितः |
प्रदक्षिणम् परिक्रामम् इह अभ्युद्गत मानसः || ५-५८-१०३
103. tataH = then; praNamya = offering salutation; tasyai raajaputrayai = to that princess; samaahitah = with steadfest devotion; aham = I; parikraamam pradakSiNam = circumambulated her from left to right; iha abhyudgata maanasaH = with my mind setting out to come here."
"Then, offering salutation to Seetha the princess in utmost devotion, I circumambulated her from left to right, of course with my mind setting out to come here."
उत्तरम् पुनः एव आह निश्चित्य मनसा तदा |
हनूमन् मम वृत्त अन्तम् वक्तुम् अर्हसि राघवे || ५-५८-१०४
104. nishchitya = determining (something); manasaa = in mind; aham = I; uktaH = was spoken; punareva = again; tayaa = by her; hanuman = O Hanuma!; arhasi = you ought; vaktum = to tell; raaghave = Rama; mama vR^ittaantam = about my tale (of woes).
"Determining something in mind, she spoke to me again as follows: 'O Hanuma! You ought to tell Rama about my tale of woes occurring here'."
यथा श्रुत्वा एव नचिरात् ताव् उभौ राम लक्ष्मणौ |
सुग्रीव सहितौ वीराव् उपेयाताम् तथा कुरु || ५-५८-१०५
105. kuru = act; yathaa tathaa = so that; ubhau = both; tau = those; viirau = heroes; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; sugriiva sahitau = together with Sugreeva; upeyaataam = arrive (here); na chiraat = quickly; shrutvaiva = soon after hearing (my tale).
" 'Act so that both those heroes Rama and Lakshmana together with Sugreeva quickly arrive here, soon after hearing my tale'."
यदि अन्यथा भवेत् एतत् द्वौ मासौ जीवितम् मम |
न माम् द्रक्ष्यति काकुत्स्थो म्रिये सा अहम् अनाथवत् || ५-५८-१०६
106. anyathaa bhavedyadi = If it proves to be otherwise; mama = my; jiivitam = survival; dvau maase = will be for two moths only; kaakutthsaH = Rama; na drakSyati = cannot see; maam = me(thereafter); saa aham = I as such; mriye = will die; anaathavat = like helpless woman.
"'If proves to be otherwise, my survival will be only for two months. Rama cannot see me thereafter. As such, I will be dying like a helpless woman'."
तत् श्रुत्वा करुणम् वाक्यम् क्रोधो माम् अभ्यवर्तत |
उत्तरम् च मया दृष्टम् कार्य शेषम् अनन्तरम् || ५-५८-१०७
107. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = that; karuNam = miserable; vaakyam = sentence; krodhaH = anger; abhyavartata = turned towards; maam = me; uttaram thereafter; anantaram kaaryasheSam = the remaining action subsequently to be done; dR^iSTam = was seen; mayaa = by me.
"Hearing those miserable words, I became angry. Thereafter, I thought of my remaining successive action to be done."
ततो अवर्धत मे कायः तदा पर्वत सम्निभः |
युद्ध कान्क्षी वनम् तच् च विनाशयितुम् आरभे || ५-५८-१०८
108. tataH = thereafter; me = my; kaayaH = body; avardhata = grew up; parvatasamnibhaH = to a size equal to that of a mountain; tadaa = then; aarabhe = I started; vinaashayitum = to destroy; tat = that; vanam = garden; yuddha kaaNkii = longing for a battle.
"Thereafter, my body grew up to a size equal to that of a mountain. Then, I started destroying that garden, thereby longing for a combat."
तत् भग्नम् वन षण्डम् तु भ्रान्त त्रस्त मृग द्विजम् |
प्रतिबुद्धा निरीक्षन्ते राक्षस्यो विकृत आननाः || ५-५८-१०९
109. raakSasyaH = the female-demons; vikR^itaananaaH = with their ugly faces; pratibuddhaaH = woke up; niriikSante = and saw; tat = that; vanaSaN^Dam = thicket of garden; bhagnam = being broken; bhraantatrastamR^igadvijam = and with its frightened animals and birds moving about unsteadily.
"The female-demons; with their ugly faces woke up and saw that thicket of garden being broken and with its frightened animals and birds moving about unsteadily."
माम् च दृष्ट्वा वने तस्मिन् समागम्य ततः ततः |
ताः समभ्यागताः क्षिप्रम् रावणाय आचचक्षिरे || ५-५८-११०
110. samaagmaya = coming; tatastataH = from their respective places; dR^iSTvaa = and seeing; maam = me; tasmin vane = in that garden; taah = those female-demons; kSipram = quickly; samaabhyaagataaH = went; aachachakSire = and reported; raavaNaaya = to Ravana.
"Coming from their respective places and seeing me in that garden, those female-demons quickly went and reported the matter to Ravana (as follows):"
राजन् वनम् इदम् दुर्गम् तव भग्नम् दुरात्मना |
वानरेण हि अविज्ञाय तव वीर्यम् महाबल || ५-५८-१११
111. mahaabalaH raajan = O mighty king!; hi = indeed; aviJNaaya = not knowing; tavaviiryam = your prowess; vaanareNa = by the monkey; duraatmanaa = an evil-minded; idam tava vanam = your garden of this; durgam = which is inaccessible; bhagnam = has been destroyed.
"O mighty king! Indeed not knowing your prowess, an evil-minded monkey ahs demolished your inaccessible garden."
दुर्बुद्धेः तस्य राज इन्द्र तव विप्रिय कारिणः |
वधम् आज्ञापय क्षिप्रम् यथा असौ विलयम् व्रजेत् || ५-५८-११२
112. raajendra = O emperor!; aaJNaapaya = giver oders; kSipram = quickly; tsya vadham = for killing him; yathaa = so that; asau durbuddheH = the evil-minded monkey; tava vipriya kaarinaH = who casued offence to you; vrajet = will get; vilayam = destroyed.
"O emperor! Give orders quickly for killing him, so that the evil-minded monkey, who caused offence to you, will get destroyed."
तत् श्रुत्वा राक्षस इन्द्रेण विसृष्टा भृश दुर्जयाः |
राक्षसाः किम्करा नाम रावणस्य मनो अनुगाः || ५-५८-११३
113. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = those words; raakSasaaH = demons; kimkaraanaama = by name kinkaras; manonugaaH = adapted to the mind; raavaNasya = of Ravana; bhR^ishadurjayaaH = and very much invincible; visR^iSTaaH = were sent; raakSasendraNa = by Ravana.
"Hearing those words, Ravana sent invincible demons called Kinkaras, who were adapted to the mind of Ravana."
तेषाम् अशीति साहस्रम् शूल मुद्गर पाणिनाम् |
मया तस्मिन् वन उद्देशे परिघेण निषूदितम् || ५-५८-११४
114. tasmin = vanoddeshe = in that portion of the garden; ashiitisaahasraam = eight thousand; teSaam = of them; shuula mudgara paaNinaam = having darts and hammers in their hands; niSuuditaam were destroyed; mayaa = by me; parigheNa = by an iron rod.
"In that portion of the garden, I destroyed with an iron rod, eight thousand kinkaras, having darts and hammers in their hands."
तेषाम् तु हत शेषा ये ते गता लघु विक्रमाः |
निहतम् च मया सैन्यम् रावणाय आचचक्षिरे || ५-५८-११५
115. laghuvikramaaH = taking quick steps; teSaam = those; ye = who; hatasheSaaH = have survived; gatvaa = going; aachakSire = reported; raavaNaaya = to Ravana; mahat sainyam = of the large army; nihatam = having been killed; (by me)
"Taking quick steps, those few who have survived, went and reported the news to Ravana, of their large army having been killed by me."
ततो मे बुद्धिः उत्पन्ना चैत्य प्रासादम् आक्रमम् |
तत्रस्थान् राक्षसान् हत्वा शतम् स्तम्भेन वै पुनः || ५-५८-११६
ललाम भूतो लन्काया मया विध्वंसितो रुषा |
116. tataH = then; buddhiH = an idea; utpannaa = arose; me = to me; aakramam = I occupied; chaitya praasaadam = lofty palatial mansion of sanctuary; hatvaa = killing; punaH = again; shatam raakSasaan = hundred demons; tatrasthaan = staying there; stambhena = with pillar; saH = that mansion; lalaamabhuutaH = being an eminent decoration; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka.
"Then, an idea came to me. Occupying a lofty palatial mansion of a sanctuary which was an eminent ornament of Lanka. I killed again a hundred demons stationed there with a pillar."
ततः प्रहस्तस्य सुतम् जम्बु मालिनम् आदिशत् || ५-५८-११७
राक्षसैर्बहुभिः सार्थम् घोररूपैर्भयानकैः |
117. tataH = then; aadishat = (Ravana) dispatched; jambumaalin = Jambumali; sutam = the son; prahastasya = of Prahasta; bahubhiH raakSasaiH saartham = together with many demons; ghoraruupaiH = having terrific forms; bhayaanakaiH = and fearful.
"Then, Ravana dispatched Jambumali, the son of Prahasta together with numerous dreadful demons having terrific forms."
तम् अहम् बल सम्पन्नम् राक्षसम् रण कोविदम् || ५-५८-११८
परिघेण अतिघोरेण सूदयामि सह अनुगम् |
118. suudayaami = I destroyed; tam raakSasam = that demon; mahaabalasampannam = (though) endowed with a great strength; raNakovidam = and skilled in warfare; sahaanugam = along with his followers; ghoreNa parigheNa = with my terrific iron bar itself.
"I destroyed that demon, though endowed with a great strength and skilled in warfare, along with his followers, with my terrific iron bar itself."
तत् श्रुत्वा राक्षस इन्द्रः तु मन्त्रि पुत्रान् महाबलान् || ५-५८-११९
पदाति बल सम्पन्नान् प्रेषयामास रावणः |
119. tachchhrutvaa = hearing of it; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSasendraH = the king of demons; preSayaamaasa = dispatched; mantriputraan = the son of his minister; mahaabalaan = endowed with great strength; padaatiblasampannaan = andstrengthened with a regiment of infantry.
"Hearing of it, Ravana, the king of demons, dispatched the son of his minister, endowed with great strength and strengthened with a regiment of infantry."
परिघेण एव तान् सर्वान् नयामि यम सादनम् || ५-५८-१२०
मन्त्रि पुत्रान् हतान् श्रुत्वा समरे लघु विक्रमान् |
पन्च सेना अग्रगान् शूरान् प्रेषयामास रावणः || ५-५८-१२१
120; 121. nayaami = I fetched; taan sarvaan = all of them; yamasaadanam = to the abode of Death; parigheNaina = by the iron bar itself; shrutvaa = hearing; mantriputraan = of the minister's sons; laghu vikramaan = who were quick in exhibiting their valour; samare = in battle; hataan = having been killed; raavaNaH = Ravana; preSayaamaasa = dispatched; paN^cha = five; shuuraan = valiant; senaagragaan = generals.
"I killed all of them also by that iron bar itself. Hearing of the minster's sons, who were quick in exhibiting their valour in battle, having been killed, Ravana dispatched five valiant generals."
तान् अहम् सह सैन्यान् वै सर्वान् एव अभ्यसूदयम् |
ततः पुनः दशग्रीवः पुत्रम् अक्षम् महाबलम् || ५-५८-१२२
बहुभी राकसैः सार्धम् प्रेषयामास रावणः |
122. aham = I; abhyasuudayam taan sarvaan saha sainyaan = got all of those minister's sons together with their army destroyed; tataH = thereafter; raavaNaH = Ravana; dashagriivaH = the ten-headed monster; preSayaamaasa = sent; mahaabalam putram = his mighty son; akSam = Aksha; bahubhiH raakSasaiH saartham = together with a multitude of demons.
"I got all the minster's sons together with their army destroyed. Then, Ravana, the ten-headed monster, sent his mighty son, Aksha together with a multitude of army for the combat."
तम् तु मन्द उदरी पुत्रम् कुमारम् रण पण्डितम् || ५-५८-१२३
सहसा खम् समुत्क्रान्तम् पादयोः च गृहीतवान् |
चर्म असिनम् शत गुणम् भ्रामयित्वा व्यपेषयम् || ५-५८-१२४
123; 124. sahasaa grahiitavaan = I; suddenly caught; paadayoH = by the feet; tam kumaaram = that prince; maN^Dodariiputram = son of Mandodari; raNapaN^Ditam = who was skilled in warfare; utkraantam = and who was jumping; kham = into the sky; charmaasinam = with sword and shield; bhraamayitvaa = whirled him round; shataguNam = a hundred times; vyapeSayam = and crushed him.
"I suddenly caught by the feet, that prince, son of Mandodari, who was skilled in warfare and who was jumping into the sky with his sword and shield. I whirled him round a hundred times and crushed him."
तम् अक्षम् आगतम् भग्नम् निशम्य स दश आननः |
तत इन्द्रजितम् नाम द्वितीयम् रावणः सुतम् || ५-५८-१२५
व्यादिदेश सुसम्क्रुद्धो बलिनम् युद्ध दुर्मदम् |
125. nishamya = hearing; bhagnam = of the death; akSam = of Aksha; aagatam = who came for combat; saH dashaananaH raavaNaH = that ten headed Ravana; susamkR^iddhaH = was very much enraged; tataH = and then; vyaadidesha = dispateched; dvitiiyam sutam = his second son; indrajitam naama = by name; Indrajit; balinam = who was strong; yuddha durmadam = but foolishly arrogant in battle.
"Hearing of the death of Aksha in combat, that ten-headed Ravana was very much enraged and thereupon dispatched his second son, by name Indrajit, who was strong but foolishly arrogant in battle."
तस्य अपि अहम् बलम् सर्वम् तम् च राक्षस पुम्गवम् || ५-५८-१२६
नष्ट ओजसम् रणे कृत्वा परम् हर्षम् उपागमम् |
126. kR^itvaa = by making; naSTaujasam = lusterless; sarvam tat balamcha = all that army; tam raakSasapuNgavam cha = and that Indrajit the foremost among demons; rane = in battle; upaagamam = I experienced; param harSam = a great joy.
"By conquering all that army in battle and making that Indrajit the foremost among demons; lusterless, I experienced a great joy."
महता हि महाबाहुः प्रत्ययेन महाबलः || ५-५८-१२७
प्रेषितो रावणेन एष सह वीरैः मद उत्कटैः |
127. mahaabalaH = that mighty Indrajit; mahaabaahuH = the long-armed; viiraiH saha = along with valiant demons; madotkaTaiH = excited with their arrogance; preSitaH = were dispatched; mahataapratyayena = with a great confidence; raavaNe naiva = by Ravana himself.
"Ravana himself dispatched, with a great confidence, that long-armed and mighty Indrajit along with valiant demons excited with their arrogance."
सोऽविषह्यम् हि माम् बुद्ध्वा स्वम् बलम् चावमर्दितम् |
ब्राह्मेण अस्त्रेण स तु माम् प्रबध्नाच् च अतिवेगतः || ५-५८-१२८
128. buddhvaa = knowing; maam = me; aviSahyam = to be irresistible; svam balamcha = and his own army; avamarditam = to be destroyable; saH = that Indrajit; ativegitaH = with a great haste; prabadhnaat = captured; maam = me; braahmeNaastreNa = with a Brahma missile.
"Knowing me to be irresistible and his own army being perishable, that Indrajit with a great haste, captured me with a Brahma-missile."
रज्जूभिः अभिबध्नन्ति ततो माम् तत्र राक्षसाः || ५-५८-१२९
रावणस्य समीपम् च गृहीत्वा माम् उपानयन् |
129. tataH = then; raakSasaaH = the demons; abhibadhnanti = tied; maam = me; tatra = there; rajjubhiH = with ropes; gR^ihiitvaa = taking; maam = me; upaanayan = and carrying me away to; raavaNasya samiipam = Ravana's presence.
"Then, the demons, after capturing me, tied me there with ropes and carried me away to Ravana's presence."
दृष्ट्वा सम्भाषितः च अहम् रावणेन दुरात्मना || ५-५८-१३०
पृष्टः च लन्का गमनम् राक्षसानाम् च तत् वधम् |
130. aham = I; dR^iSTvaa = being seen; duraatmanaa raavaNena = by the evil-minded Ravana; sambhaaSitashcha = was spoken; pR^iSTashcha = I was asked; laN^kaagamanam = about my coming to Lanka; tam vadham = and about that killing; raakSasaanaam = of demons.
"Seeing me, the evil-minded Ravana spoke to me. He asked, why did you come to Lanka? 'Why did you kill the demons?'"
तत् सर्वम् च मया तत्र सीता अर्थम् इति जल्पितम् || ५-५८-१३१
अस्य अहम् दर्शन आकान्क्षी प्राप्तः त्वत् भवनम् विभो |
मारुतस्य औरसः पुत्रो वानरो हनुमान् अहम् || ५-५८-१३२
131; 132. jalpitam = It was spoken; tatra = there; mayaa = by me; iti = thus; sarvam = all; tat = that; siitaartham = was for Seetha's sake;vibho = O king of demons!; praaptaH = I came; tvadbhavanam = to your abode; tasyaaH darshana kaaNkSii = desirous of seeing Seetha; aham = I; maarutasya ourasaputraH = am the own son of wind-god; vaanaraH = a monkey; hanumaan = by name; Hanuma.
"I answered 'I have done all these acts for the sake of Seetha. O king of demons! I came to your abode with a desire to see Seetha. I am the offspring of wind-god and a monkey by name Hanuma'."
राम दूतम् च माम् विद्धि सुग्रीव सचिवम् कपिम् |
सो अहम् दौत्येन रामस्य त्वत् समीपम् इह आगतः || ५-५८-१३३
133. viddhi = know; maam = me; kapim = to be a monkey; raama duutam = an envoy of Rama; sugriiva sachivam = and a minister of Sugreeva; raamasya dontyena = on a function as Rama's messenger; saH aham = I as such; aagatah = came; iha = here; tvatsakaasham = to your presence.
" 'Know me to be a monkey, an envoy of Rama and a minister of Sugreeva. As Rama's messenger, I sought your presence here!"
सुग्रीवश्च महातेजाः स त्वाम् कुशलमब्रवीत् |
धर्मार्थकामसहितम् हितम् पथ्यमुवाच च || ५-५८-१३४
134. saH sugriivashcha = that Sugreeva; mahaatejaH = of great splendour; abraviit = enquired; tvaam = you; kushalam = about your welfare; uvaacha = (He) spoke; hitam = beneficiary words; dharmaartha kaama sahitam = endowed with righteousness; wealth and pleasure; pathyam = appropriate (for you).
" �That Sugreeva of great splendour enquired about your welfare. He told you (the following) beneficiary words, endowed with righteousness wealth and pleasure, appropriate for you'."
वसतो ऋष्यमूके मे पर्वते विपुल द्रुमे |
राघवो रण विक्रान्तो मित्रत्वम् समुपागतः || ५-५८-१३५
135. me = to me; vasataH = who was dwelling; R^ishyamuuke = in Mount Rishyamuka; vipuladrume = having numerous trees; raaghavaH = Rama; raNavikraantaH = having a great prowess in battle; samupaagataH = obtained; mitratvam = my friendship.
" 'While I was dwelling in Mount R^ishyamuka, abounding with numerous trees, Rama having a great prowess in battle became a friend to me'."
तेन मे कथितम् राजन् भार्या मे रक्षसा हृता |
तत्र साहाय्य हेतोः मे समयम् कर्तुम् अर्हसि || ५-५८-१३६
136. kathitam = It was told; me = to me; tena = by him; raaJNaa = the king; me bhaaryaa = 'my wife; hR^itaa = was taken away; rakSasaa = by a demon; saahaayyam = a help; kaaryam = has to be done; tvayaa = by you; asmaakam = to me; tatra = in that matter; sarvaatmanaa = in all ways.
" 'The king Rama told me that his wife had been taken away by a demon and that I had to help him in that matter by all means'."
मया च कथितम् तस्मै वालिनश्च वधम् प्रति |
तत्र साहय्यहेतोर्मे समयम् कर्तुमर्हसि || ५-५८-१३७
137. kathitam = It was told; tasmai = to him; mayaa = by me too; vadhamprati = about the killing; vaalinaH = of Vali; arhasi = you ought; kartum = to do; samayam = a mutual agreement; saahaayya hetoH = for helping; me = me; tatra = in that matter.
" 'I also told him about the killing of Vali and requested him to come to a mutual agreement for helping me in that matters'."
वालिना हृत राज्येन सुग्रीवेण सह प्रभुः |
चक्रे अग्नि साक्षिकम् सक्यम् राघवः सह लक्ष्मणः || ५-५८-१३८
138. raaghavaH = Rama; mahaaprabhuh = the great lord; saha lakSmaNaH = along with Lakshmana; chakre = made; sakhyam = friendship; sugriiveNa = with Sugreeva; hR^ita raajyena vaalinaa = whose kingdom was taken away by Vali; agnisaakSikam = taking Agni; the fire-god for a witness.
" 'Rama, the great lord along with Lakshmana made friendship with Sugreeva, (whose kingdom was taken away by Vali) taking Agni the fire-god for a witness.'
तेन वालिनम् उत्साद्य शरेण एकेन सम्युगे |
वानराणाम् महाराजः कृतः सम्प्लवताम् प्रभुः || ५-५८-१३९
139. utpaaTya = tearing out; vaalinam = Vali; ekena shareNa = by a single arrow; samyuge = in combat; tena = by that Rama; saH = that Sugreeva; prabhuH = the lord; plavataam = monkeys; kR^itaH = was made; mahaaraajaH = an emperor; vaanaraanaam = of monkeys.
" 'Killing Vali by a single arrow in combat, Rama made Sugreeva (lord of monkeys) an emperor of monkeys'."
तस्य साहाय्यम् अस्माभिः कार्यम् सर्व आत्मना तु इह |
तेन प्रस्थापितः तुभ्यम् समीपम् इह धर्मतः || ५-५८-१४०
140. iha = now; saahaayyam = a help; kaaryam = is to be done; tasya = to him; asmaabhiH = by us; sarvaatmanaa = by all means; tena = therefore; prasthaapitaH = (he) was sent; tubhyam samiipam = to your presence; dharmatah = rightly.
" 'Now we have to extend help to that Rama in all ways. Therefore, I am sending Hanuma rightly to your presence'."
क्षिप्रम् आनीयताम् सीता दीयताम् राघवस्य च |
यावन् न हरयो वीरा विधमन्ति बलम् तव || ५-५८-१४१
141. yaavat na = even before; viiraaH harayaH = the heroic monkeys; vidhamanti = destroy; taa balam = your army; aaniiyataam siitaa = let Seetha be brought; kSipram = quickly; diiyataamcha = and given back; raaghavaaya = to Rama.
" 'Even before the heroic monkeys destroy your army, bring Seetha quickly and give her back to Rama'."
वानराणाम् प्रभवो हि न केन विदितः पुरा |
देवतानाम् सकाशम् च ये गच्छन्ति निमन्त्रिताः || ५-५८-१४२
142. kena = to whom; prabhaavaH = is this strength; vaanaraaNaam = of the monkeys; na viditaH = not already known; gachchhanti = who go; sakaasham = to ther presence; devataanaam = of gods; ye = who; nimantritaa = when invited?
" 'To whom is this strength of the monkeys not already known, who go even to the presence of gods, when invited by them for help?'"
इति वनर राजः त्वाम् आह इति अभिहितो मया |
माम् ऐक्षत ततो रुष्टः चक्षुषा प्रदहन्न् इव || ५-५८-१४३
143. abhihitaH = spoken; mayaa = by me; iti = thus; vaanararaajaH = (about) Sugreeva the king of monkeys; iti = thus; aaha = saying; tvaam = to you; kruddhaH = (he) was enraged; tataH = then; aikSata = and looked on maam = me; pradahanniva = as though burning (me); cakSuSaa = with his eyes.
" 'Sugreeva the king of monkeys has sent the foregoing message to you. 'When spoken by me in these words, Ravana was enraged and looked on me, as though he was going to reduce me to ashes with his very looks."
तेन वध्यो अहम् आज्ञप्तो रक्षसा रौद्र कर्मणा |
मत्र्पभावमविज्ञाय रावणेन दुरात्मना || ५-५८-१४४
144. duraatmanaa tena raavaNena = by that evil-minded Ravana; rakSasaa raudra karmaNaa = the demon doing terrific acts; aviJNaaya = without knowing matprabhaavam = my glory (in the form of my immunity to death); aham = I; aaJNaptaH = was ordered; vadhyaH = to be killed.
"Without knowing my glory ( in the form of my immunity to death), the evil-minded Ravana, the demon doing terrific acts, ordered for my killing."
ततो विभीषणो नाम तस्य भ्राता महामतिः |
तेन राक्षस राजो असौ याचितो मम कारणात् || ५-५८-१४५
145. tataH = then; tasya bhraataa = (there is) the brother of that Ravana; vibhiiSaNo naama = by name; Vibhishana; mahaamatiH = with a great intelligence; tena = by him; asau = this; raakSasaraajah = king of demons; yaachitaH = was entreated; mama kaaraNaat = for my cause.
"Then, there is the brother of that Ravana, called Vibhishana having a great intelligence. He entreated Ravana, the king of demons, on my behalf (as follows)"
नैवम् राक्षसशार्दूल त्यज्यतामेष निश्चयः |
राजशास्त्रव्यपेतो हि मार्गः संसेव्यते त्वया || ५-५८-१४६
146. raakSasa shaarduula = O the foremost among the demons!; na evam = no such attempt should be made in this way; eSaaH nishchayaH tyajyataam = let this design be abandoned; tvayaa samsevyate hi = you are indeed following maargaH = a path; raajashaastra vyapetaH = contrary to the statesmanship.
"O Ravana the foremost among the demons! No such attempt should be made in this way. Let this design be abandoned forthwith. Your are indeed following a path which is contrary to the statesmanship."
दूत वध्या न दृष्टा हि राज शास्त्रेषु राक्षस |
दूतेन वेदितव्यम् च यथा अर्थम् हित वादिना || ५-५८-१४७
147. raakSasa = O Ravana!; na dR^iSTaahi = It is not indeed seen; raajashaastreSu = in states' policies; duuta vadhyaa = of killing an envoy; yathaartham veditavyam = the real truth is to be known; duutena = from an envoy; hitavaadinaa = speakinga good counsel.
"O Ravana! It is not indeed found in states' policies of killing an envoy. The real truth is to be known from an envoy speaking a good counsel."
सुमहति अपराधे अपि दूतस्य अतुल विक्रमः |
विरूप करणम् दृष्टम् न वधो अस्ति इह शास्त्रतः || ५-५८-१४८
148. atula vikrama = O Ravana of unequalled prowess!; sumahati aparaadhe api = even if a very high offence is committed; duutasya = of an envoy; dR^iSTam = it was seen in states policies; viruupakaraNam = an act of disfiguring; naasti = not; vadhaH = killing; shaastrataH = as per the political treatise.
"O Ravana of great prowess! Even if a very high offence is committed by an envoy, an act of disfiguring the person is mentioned in a treatise of state-policy and not of killing."
विभीषणेन एवम् उक्तो रावणः संदिदेश तान् |
राक्षसान् एतत् एव अद्य लान्गूलम् दह्यताम् इति || ५-५८-१४९
149. evam uktaH = thus spoken; vibhiiSanena = by Vibhishana; raavaNaH = Ravana; samdidesha = ordered; taan raakSasaan = those demons; asya etat laaNguulam iti = that let this tail of him; dahyataam = be burnt by fire.
"Hearing the words of Vibhishana, Ravana ordered those demons to burn my tail by fire."
ततः स्तस्य वचः श्रुत्वा मम पुच्छम् समन्ततः |
वेष्टितम् शण वक्लैः च पटैः कार्पासकैः तथा || ५-५८-१५०
150. tataH = thereupon; shrutvaa = hearing; tasya vachah = his words; mama puchchham = my tail; samamtatam = in its entirety; veSTitam = was wrapped up; shaNavalkaiH = with bark of hemp; jiirNaiH = and torn; paTaiH = clothes; kaarpaasajaiH = made of cotton.
"Thereupon, hearing Ravana's words; the demons wrapped up my entire tail with bark of hemp and torn cotton-clothes."
राक्षसाः सिद्ध सम्नाहाः ततः ते चण्ड विक्रमाः |
तत् आदीप्यन्त मे पुच्छम् हनन्तः काष्ठ मुष्टिभिः || ५-५८-१५१
बद्धस्य बहुभिः पाशैः यन्त्रितस्य च राक्षसैः |
151. tataH = thereafter; raakSasaaH = the demons; chaN^DavikramaaH = of terrible prowess; siddha samnaahaaH = who completed their arrangements; nighanantaH = striking me; kaaSThamuSTibhiH = with their wooden staffs and fists; tadaa = then; adahyanta = burnt; me puchchham = my tail; baddhasya = (eventhough) I was bound; bahubhiH = paashaih = with many ropes; yantritasya = I (maintained) restraint.
"Thereafter, the demons of terrible prowess, who completed their arrangements, striking me with their wooden staffs and fists, burnt my tail. Eventhough I was bound with many ropes, I maintained restraint."
ततः ते राक्षसाः शूरा बद्धम् माम् अग्नि सम्वृतम् || ५-५८-१५२
अघोषयन् राज मार्गे नगर द्वारम् आगताः |
152. tataH = then; aagataaH = having reached; nagaradvaaram = the city-gate; shuuraaH = those strong; raakSasaaH = demons; aghoSayan = made a proclamation of my presence; raajamaarge = in the principal streets; baddham = bound; agnisamvR^itam = and enveloped in flames (as I was).
"Then, having reached the city-gate, those strong demons made a loud proclamation of my presence in the principal streets, bound and enveloped in flames as I was."
ततो अहम् सुमहत् रूपम् सम्क्षिप्य पुनः आत्मनः || ५-५८-१५३
विमोचयित्वा तम् बन्धम् प्रकृतिस्थः स्थितः पुनः |
आयसम् परिघम् गृह्य तानि रक्षांसि असूदयम् || ५-५८-१५४
153; 154. tataH = then; samkSipya = after contracting; aatmanaH sumahat ruupam = my gigantic form; punaH = again; vimochayitvaa = and releasing; tam bandham = my bondage; sthitaH = I stood; pinaH = again; prakR^itiSthaH = in my native form; gR^ihya = seizing; aayasam parigham = an iron bar; asuudayam = I killed; taani rakSaamisi = those demons.
"Then, after contracting my gigantic form once more and releasing my bondage, I stood in my native form again. Seizing an iron bar, I killed those demons."
ततः तन् नगर द्वारम् वेगेन आप्लुतवान् अहम् |
पुच्छेन च प्रदीप्तेन ताम् पुरीम् साट्ट गोपुराम् || ५-५८-१५५
दहामि अहम् असम्भ्रान्तो युग अन्त अग्निः इव प्रजाः |
155. tataH = then; aham = I; aaplutavaan = jumped; vegena = quickly; tat nagara dvaaram = on to that city-gate; asambhraantaH = without set fire; taam purim = that city; saaTTa praakaaragopuram = with its attics; ramparts and gates; pradiiptena puchchhena = by my tail inflamed; yugaantaagniH iva = even as a fire at the end of the world; prajaa = burns all living creatures.
"Then, I quickly jumped on to that city-gate and without any bewilderment, I set fire that city with its attics, ramparts and gates with my tail inflamed, even as a fire at the end of the world, burns all living creatures."
विनष्टा जानकी व्यक्तम् न ह्यदग्धः प्रदृश्यते || ५-५८-१५६
लङ्कायाम् कश्चिदुद्देशः सर्वा भस्मीकृता पुरी |
दहता च मया लन्काम् दघ्दा सीता न संशयः || ५-५८-१५७
रामस्य हि महत्कार्यम् मयेदम् वितथीकृतम् |
156; 157. laN^kaayaam = In Lanka; na uddeshaH = no place; kashchit = whatsoever; pradR^ishyate = is seen indeed; adagdhaH = not being burnt; sarvaa = the entire; purii = city burnt; sarvaa = the entire; purii- city; bhasmiikR^itaa = has been reduced to ashes; jaanakii = Seetha; nuunam = surely; vinaSTaa = has been lost.
"The entire Lanka has been reduced to ashes. No place is seen unburnt in this City. Therefore Seetha also must have been surely burnt."
इति शोकसमाविष्टश्चन्तामहमुपागतः || ५-५८-१५८
अथ अहम् वाचम् अश्रौषम् चारणानाम् शुभ अक्षराम् |
जानकी न च दग्धा इति विस्मय उदन्त भाषिणाम् || ५-५८-१५९
158; 159. iti = thus; shokamaaviSTaH = filled with grief; aham = I; upaagataH = came about; chintaam = to reflect (as above); ashrouSam = (meanwhile) I heard; shubhaakSaraam = the auspiciously worded; vaacham = utterance; chaaraNaanaam = of Charanas the celestial singers; vismayodant bhaaSaNam = who were naraating a tale of ashtonishment; iti = saying that; jaanakii = Seetha; na chadagdhaa = has not been burnt.
"Thus filled with grief, I came about to reflect as above. Meanwhile, I heard the auspiciously worded utterance of charanas the celestial signers who were narrating a tale of astonishment saying that Seetha has not been burnt."
ततो मे बुद्धिः उत्पन्ना श्रुत्वा ताम् अद्भुताम् गिरम् |
अदग्धा जानकीत्येवम् निमित्तैश्चोपलक्षिता || ५-५८-१६०
160. shrutvaa = hearing; taam adbhutaam giram = those surprising words; buddhiH = (the following) thought; tataH = then; utpannaa = arose; me = in me; ityevam = that; jaanakii = Seetha; adagdhaa = was not burnt; upalakSitaa = It was understood by implication; nimittaishcha = because of good omens too.
"After hearing those surprising words, a thought arose in me that Seetha escaped being burnt. This indicated by the following good omens:
दीप्यमाने तु लाङ्गूले न माम् दहति पावकः |
हृदयम् च प्रहृष्टम् मे वाताः सुरभिगन्धिनः ५-५८-१६१
161. laaNguule = (even though) my tail; diipyamaane = is burning; paavakaH = the fire; na dahati = is not burning; maam = me; me = my; hR^idayamcha = heart too; prahR^iSTam = is delighted; vaataaH = the winds; suraabhigandhinaH = are sweet-smelling.
"In the first place, even though me tail is burning, the fire is not burning my body. My heart too is delighted. The winds are sweet-smelling."
तैर्निमित्तैश्च दृष्टार्थैः कारणैश्च महागुणैः |
ऋषिवाक्यैश्च सिद्धार्थैरभवम् हृष्टमानसः || ५-५८-१६२
162. abhavam = I became; hR^iSTamaanasaH = delighted in mind; taiH = by those; nimittaiH = good omens; dR^iSTaarthaih = having their fruits apparent; kaaraNashcha = by the reasons; mahaaguNaiH = of high characteristics; R^iSivaakyeshcha = by the words of sages; siddhaarthaih = who were efficacious.
"My heart was delighted by seeing those good omens having their fruits apparent, by looking into the their fruits apparent, by looking into the reasons of high characteristics and by hearing the words of accomplished sages."
पुनः दृष्टा च वैदेही विसृष्टः च तया पुनः |
ततः पर्वतमासाद्य तत्ररिष्तमहम् पुनः || ५-५८-१६३
प्रतिप्लवनमारेभे युष्मद्दर्शनकांक्षया |
163. dR^iSTavaa = seeing; vaidehiim = Seetha; punaH = once more; visR^iSTaH = relieed; tayaa = by her; punaH = again; tataH = and then; aasaadya = reaching; ariSTaparvatam = Mount Arishta; punaH = again; tatra = there; aham = I; aarabhe = started; pratiplavanam = leaping back; yuSmaddarshana kaaN^kSayaa = with a longing to see you.
"Seeing Seetha once more, relieved by her again and then reaching the Mount Arishta there again, I started leaping back (over the sea) with a longing to see you (all)."
ततः पवनचन्द्रर्क सिद्धगन्धर्व सेवितम् || ५-५८-१६४
पन्थानमहमाक्रम्य भवतो दृष्टवानिह |
164. tataH = then; aakramya = treading upon; panthaanam = the path of the sky; pavana chandraarka siddhagandharva sevitam = frequented by the wind; the moon; the sun; Siddhas the semi-divine beings and Gandharvas the celestial musicians; aham dR^iSTavaan- I saw; bhavatah = you (all); iha = here.
"Then, treading upon the path of the sky, frequented by the wind, the moon, the sun, Siddhas the semi-divine beings and Gandharvas the celestial musicians, I saw you all here."
राघवस्य प्रभावेन भवताम् चैव तेजसा || ५-५८-१६५
सुग्रीवस्य च कार्य अर्थम् मया सर्वम् अनुष्ठितम् |
165. sarvam = all the task; anuSThitam = was performed; mayaa = by me; kaaryaartham cha = for accomplishing the purpose; sugriivasya = of Sugreeva; prabhaaveNa = by the power; raaghavasya = of Rama; bhavaaam tejasaa chaiva = and by your brilliance.
"I performed all tasks for accomplishing the purpose of Sugreeva, by the grace of Rama and also through your energy."
एतत् सर्वम् मया तत्र यथावत् उपपादितम् || ५-५८-१६६
अत्र यन् न कृतम् शेषम् तत् सर्वम् क्रियताम् इति |
166. sarvam = all; etat = this; upapaaditam = has been performed; mayaa = by me; tatra = there; yathaavat = properly; yat = that which; sheSam = is remaining; nakR^itam = undone; atra = in this task; kriyataam = is to be done; sarvam = entirely (by you).
"I have done all this properly there. Do accomplish that which remains undone in this task by me and complete it."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे अष्टपंचाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July, 2006, K. M. K. Murthy