Angada, Hanuma and other monkeys approach Rama, Lakshmana and Sugreeva at Mount Prasravana. When monkeys start narrating the news of Seetha, Rama asks further details of Seetha. Then, the monkeys request Hanuma to explain the occurrences to Rama in detail. Then, Hanuma appraises Rama of Seetha's presence at the foot of a Simsupa tree in the midst of female-demons. After narrating the incidents related by her and delivering to Rama the jewel for the head, earlier handed-over by Seetha as a token, Hanuma conveys her message to Rama.
ततः प्रस्रवणम् शैलम् ते गत्वा चित्र काननम् |
प्रणम्य शिरसा रामम् लक्ष्मणम् च महाबलम् || ५-६५-१
युव राजम् पुरः कृत्य सुग्रीवम् अभिवाद्य च |
प्रवृत्तम् अथ सीतायाः प्रवक्तुम् उपचक्रमुः || ५-६५-२
1; 2. puraH kR^itya yuva raajan = keeping Angada the prince; in their front; te = those monkeys; tataH = then; gatvaa = going; prasravaNam shailam = to Mount Prasravana; chitra kaananam- with forests of variegated appearance; praNamya = offering their salutation; shirasaa = by bowing their heads; raamam = to Rama; mahaabalam lakSmaNamcha = and the mighty Lakshmana; abhivaadya cha = and respectfully saluting; sugriivam = Sugreeva; atha = and then; upachakramaH = started; pravaktum = to narrate; pravR^ittim = the news; siitaayaaH = of Seetha.
Keeping Angada the prince in their forefront those monkeys, on reaching Mount Prasravana having forests of variegated appearance, offered their salutation by bowing their heads in reverence to Rama and the mighty Lakshmana, greeting Sugreeva respectfully. Then, they started narrating the news of Seetha.
रावण अन्तः पुरे रोधम् राक्षसीभिः च तर्जनम् |
रामे समनुरागम् च यः च अपि समयः कृतः || ५-६५-३
एतत् आख्यान्ति ते सर्वे हरयो राम सम्निधौ |
3. sarve = all; te harayaH = those monkeys; aakhyaanti = were narrating; raame samnidhau = in the presence of Rama; etat = all this; rodham = about restraining (Seetha); raavaNa antaH pure = in Ravana's gynaecium; raakShasiibhiH = by the female-demons; tarjanam cha = frightening her; samanuraagamcha = and her complete affection; raame = towards Rama; yaH ayam samayaH kR^itaH = and the time-limit (two months) given by Ravana.
Those monkeys started to narrate, in the presence of Rama, about, the female-demons, and frightening Seetha in Ravana's gynaecium, her complete affection towards Rama and the time-limit of two months given by Ravana.
वैदेहीम् अक्षताम् श्रुत्वा रामः तु उत्तरम् अब्रवीत् || ५-६५-४
क्व सीता वर्तते देवी कथम् च मयि वर्तते |
एतन् मे सर्वम् आख्यात वैदेहीम् प्रति वानराः || ५-६५-५
4; 5. shrutvaa = hearing vaidehiim = of Seetha; akShataam = being alive; raamatu = Rama on his part; uttaram abraviit = replied; kva = where; vartate = is; devii siitaa = Seetha; the princess?; katham = how; vartate = is she disposed; mayi = towards me? vaanaraaH = O monkeys!; aakhyaata = tell; me = me; sarvam = all; etat = this; vaidehiim prati = about Seetha.
Hearing of Seetha being alive, Rama on his part replied, "Where is Seetha, the princess? How is she disposed towards me? O monkeys! Tell me all that about Seetha."
रामस्य गदितम् श्रुत्व हरयो राम सम्निधौ |
चोदयन्ति हनूमन्तम् सीता वृत्त अन्त कोविदम् || ५-६५-६
6. shrutvaa = hearing; gaditam = the words; raamasya = of Rama; harayaH = the monkeys; chodayanti hanumantam = urged Hanuma to tell; raama sannidhau = in the presence of Rama; siitaa vR^itta anta kovidam = (since) Hanuma knows all the incidents about Seetha.
Hearing the words of Rama, the monkeys urged Hanuma to tell, in the presence of Rama, all the incidents because he knew them better, about Seetha.
श्रुत्वा तु वचनम् तेषाम् हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
प्रणम्य शिरसा देव्यै सीतायै ताम् दिशम् प्रति || ५-६५-७
उवाच वाक्यम् वाक्यज्ञः सीताया दर्शनम् यथा |
7. shrutvaa = hearing; teShaam vachanam = their words; vaakyajJNaH = eloquent; hanumaan = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; praNamya = saluting; shirasaa = with his head; taam disham prati = towards that direction; devyai siitaayai = of Seetha; the princess; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; yathaa siitaayaaH darshanam = how Seetha's seeing occurred.
Hearing the words of those monkeys, the eloquent Hanuma, the son of wind-god saluting towards the direction of the Seetha the princess by bowing his head, spoke the following words, explaining how he saw Seetha.
समुद्रम् लन्घयित्वा अहम् शत योजनम् आयतम् || ५-६५-८
अगच्छम् जानकीम् सीताम् मार्गमाणो दिदृक्षया |
8. didR^ikSayaa = with a wish to see Seetha; aham = I; aagachchham = went; laN^ghayitvaa = crossing; samudram = the ocean; shata yojanam aayatam = of a width of one hundred Yojanas; maargamaaNaH = searching; siitaam = Seetha; jaanakiim = the daughter of Janaka.
"Having gone across the ocean, a hundred Yojanas wide, I reached the southern shore looking in search of Seetha, Janaka's daughter, with a wish to see her."
तत्र लन्का इति नगरी रावणस्य दुरात्मनः || ५-६५-९
दक्षिणस्य समुद्रस्य तीरे वसति दक्षिणे |
9. tatra = there; dakSiNa tiire = at the southern shore; dakSiNasya samudrasya = of the southern ocean; vasati = there is; nagarii = a city; laNketi = called Lanka; duraatmanaH raavaNasya = of the evil-minded Ravana.
"There at the southern shore of the southern ocean, there is city called Lanka of the evil-minded Ravana."
तत्र दृष्टा मया सीता रावण अन्तः पुरे सती || ५-६५-१०
सम्न्यस्य त्वयि जीवन्ती रामा राम मनो रथम् |
10. raama = O; Rama!; tatra = there; dR^iSTaa = it was seen; mayaa = by me; raavaNaantaH pure = in Ravana's gynaecium; siitaa = Seetha; raamaa = the lady; satii = and the virtuous wife; jiivantii = living; samnyasya = placing; mano ratham = heart's desire; tvayi = in you.
"O Rama! There, living in Ravana's gynaecium in the city, I saw the lady Seetha, your virtuous wife, centering her heart's desire in you."
दृष्टा मे राक्षसी मध्ये तर्ज्यमाना मुहुः मुहुः || ५-६५-११
राक्षसीभिः विरूपाभी रक्षिता प्रमदा वने |
11. pramadaavane = In the pleasure-garden; (that Seetha); dR^iSTaa = was seen; me = by me; raakSasiimadhye = in the midst of female demons; rakSitaa = guarded; viruupaabhiH = by ugly-faced; raakSabhiH = female-demon; tarjyamaanaa = and threatened; muhuH muhuH = again and again (by them).
"In that pleasure garden, I saw Seetha sitting in the midst of female demons, guarded by those ugly-faced female-demons as also time and again being threatened by them."
दुह्खम् आपद्यते देवी तव अदुह्ख उचिता सती || ५-६५-१२
रावण अन्तः पुरे रुद्ध्वा राक्षसीभिः सुरक्षिता |
एक वेणी धरा दीना त्वयि चिन्ता परायणा || ५-६५-१३
अधः शय्या विवर्ण अन्गी पद्मिनी इव हिम आगमे |
रावणात् विनिवृत्त अर्था मर्तव्य कृत निश्चया || ५-६५-१४
देवी कथंचित् काकुत्स्थ त्वन् मना मार्गिता मया |
12; 13; 14. viira = O hero!; tvayaa sukhocitaa devii = Seetha; who deserves to live happily with you; aapadyate = is obtaining; duHkham = grief; kaakutthsa = O Rama!; kathamchit = somehow; maargitaa = searched through; mayaa = by me; devii = that princess; ekveNiidharaa = wearing a single plait (as a mark of desolation); diinaa = miserable; tvayi chintaaparaayaNaa = remaining absorbed in your thought; adaH shayyaa = reposing n the floor; vivarNaaNgii = having discoloured limbs; padminiiva = like a louts; himaagame = in the winter-season; vinivR^ittaarthaa = turning back the wish; raavaNaat = from Ravana; martavyakR^ita nishchayaa = having determined to die; tvanmanaaH = and thinking of you.
"O hero! Seetha, who deserves to live happily with you, is obtaining grief. O Rama! I somehow searched that princess, Seetha wearing a single plait (as a as a mark of desolation), looking miserable, remaining absorbed in your thought, reposing on the floor, having discoloured limbs like a lotus in winter, turning back the wish from Ravana, having determined to die, but thinking of you alone."
इक्ष्वाकु वंश विख्यातिम् शनैः कीर्तयत अनघ || ५-६५-१५
स मया नर शार्दूल विश्वासम् उपपादिता |
15. anagha = O faultless; narashaarduula = tiger among men!; saa = that Seetha; upapaaditaa = was established; vishvaasam = confidence; mayaa = by me; shanaiH kiirtayataa = in slowly mentioning; ikSvaaku kula vikhyaatim = the fame of Ikshvaku dynasty.
"O faultless tiger among men! Seetha established confidence in me, after I slowly described to her the fame of Ikshvaku dynasty."
ततः सम्भाषिता देवी सर्वम् अर्थम् च दर्शिता || ५-६५-१६
राम सुग्रीव सख्यम् च श्रुत्वा प्रीतिम् उपागता |
नियतः समुदाचारो भक्तिः च अस्याः तथा त्वयि || ५-६५-१७
16; 17. tataH = thereafter; devii = Seetha the princess; sambhaaSitaa = was spoken; darshitaa = and explained; sarvam artham = about all the significance (of my arrival); shrutvaa = on hearing; raama sugriivasakhyam = about the friendship between Rama and Sugreeva; upaagataa = she obtained; priitim = satisfaction; asyaaH = her; samudaachaaraH = right practice of conduct; niyataH = is constant; tathaa = and; bhaktishcha = her devotion; tvayi = in you; is also constant.
"Thereafter, I spoke and explained to Seetha, about the entire significance of my arrival there. On hearing about the alliance between Rama and Sugreeva, she was quite pleased. Her morality as well as her devotion in you are steadfast."
एवम् मया महाभागा दृष्टा जनक नन्दिनी |
उग्रेण तपसा युक्ता त्वत् भक्त्या पुरुष ऋषभ || ५-६५-१८
18. puruSarSabha = O foremost of men!; mahaabhaagaa = the illustrious; janakanandinii = Seetha; dR^ShiTaa = was seen; evam = thus; mayaa = by me; (Seetha) yuktaa ugreNa tapasaa = was endowed with severe penance; tvadbhaktyaa = and devotion towards you.
"O, the foremost of men! I thus saw that illustrious Seetha, endowed with severe penance and devotion towards you."
अभिज्ञानम् च मे दत्तम् यथा वृत्तम् तव अन्तिके |
चित्र कूटे महाप्राज्ञ वायसम् प्रति राघव || ५-६५-१९
19. raaghava = O Rama; mahaapraajJNa = of great intelligence!; abhijJNaanam = a token of remembrance; dattam = was given; me = to me; yathaa vR^ittam = a previous event; vaayasam prati = about a crow; tava antike = at your vicinity; chitrakuuTe = in Mount Chitrakuta.
"O Rama, of great intelligence! To me, she gave as a token of remembrance, a previous event of a crow occurred at your vicinity in Mount Chitrakuta."
विज्ञाप्यः च नर व्याघ्रो रामो वायु सुत त्वया |
अखिलेन इह यत् दृष्टम् इति माम् आह जानकी || ५-६५-२०
20. jaanakii = Seetha; saha = spoke; maam = to me; iti = saying; vaayusut = "O Hanuma!; raamaH = Rama; nara vyaaghraH = the foremost of men; vijJNaapya = is to be informed; akhilena = all; yat = of which; dR^iShTam = seen; tvayaa = by you; iha = here."
"Seetha spoke to me saying, 'O Hanuma! Inform Rama, the foremost among men, all that you have seen here."
अयम् च अस्मै प्रदातव्यम् यत्नात् सुपरिरक्षितम् |
ब्रुवता वचनानि एवम् सुग्रीवस्य उपशृण्वतः || ५-६५-२१
21. sugriivasya = (while) Sugreeva; upashR^iNvataH = is hearing; bruvataa = and while you are telling; vachanaani = the words; evam = in this way; ayam cha = (let) this jewel; suparikShitaH yatnaat = well-guarded deliberately; pradaatavyaH ayam cha = be given; asmai = to this Rama.
"While Sugreeva is hearing nearby and while you are telling the words in this way, let this jewel, which is deliberately well-guarded, be given to Rama."
एष चूडा मणिः श्रीमान् मया ते यत्न रक्षितः |
मनः शिलायाः तिकलः तम् स्मरस्व इति च अब्रवीत् || ५-६५-२२
त्वया प्राष्टे तिम्के तम् किल स्मर्तुमर्हसि |
22. eSaH = this; shriimaan = beautiful; chuuDaa maNiH = jewel for the head; suparirakSitaH = has been well-guarded; mayaa = by me; arhasi = you ought; smartum = to recall; niveshitaH kila tilakaH = a mark indeed painted; tvayaa = by you (by a slip); gaN^Dapaarshve = on the curve of my cheek; orange-red; tilake = when my former mark on my forehead; praNaShTe = got effaced.
"This beautiful jewel for the head has been well-guarded by me. You also ought to recall a mark indeed painted by you (by slip) on the curve of my cheek with powder of an orange-red rock, when my former mark on my forehead got effaced."
एष निर्यातितः श्रीमान् मया ते वारि सम्भवः || ५-६५-२३
एतम् दृष्ट्वा प्रमोदिष्ये व्यसने त्वाम् इव अनघ |
23. eSaH shriimaan = this beautiful jewel; vaari sambhavaH = which has its origin in sea-water; niryaatitaH = has been sent; te = to you; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; etam = this vyasahe = in my grief; pramodiShye = I am feeling happy; tvaaniiva = as though I am seeing you.
"This beautiful jewel, which has its origin in sea-water, has been sent to you. Seeing this in my grief, I am feeling always happy as though I am seeing you."
जीवितम् धारयिष्यामि मासम् दशरथ आत्मज || ५-६५-२४
ऊर्ध्वम् मासान् न जीवेयम् रक्षसाम् वशम् आगता |
24. dasharaatmaja = O Rama!; dhaarayiShyaami = I shall be sustaining; jiivitam = my life; maasam = for a mouth; aagataa = having come into; vasham = the control; rakShasaam = of demons; na jiivayam = I cannot survive; uurdhvam = above; maasaat = one month.
"O Rama! I shall be sustaining my life for a month. Having come into the control of demons, I cannot survive beyond one month."
इति माम् अब्रवीत् सीता कृश अन्गी धर्म चारिणी || ५-६५-२५
रावण अन्तः पुरे रुद्धा मृगी इव उत्फुल्ल लोचना |
25. siitaa = Seetha; kR^isha aNgii = with her emaciated body; dharma chaariNii = practising virtue; ruddhaa = confined; raavaNaantaH pure = in Ravana's gynaceium; utphulla lochanaa = with her wide-open eyes; mR^igiiva = like that of a doe; abraviit = spoke; iti = as following; maam = to me.
"Seetha, with her emaciated body, practicing virtue, confined in Ravana's gynaecium and with her wide-open eyes like that of a doe, spoke to me the following words:
एतत् एव मया आख्यातम् सर्वम् राघव यत् यथा || ५-६५-२६
सर्वथा सागर जले सम्तारः प्रविधीयताम् |
26. raaghava = O Rama!; etat = this; sarvam eva = exactly in its entirety; khyaatam = has been narrated; mayaa = by me; yat yathaa = as it occurred; samtaaraH pravidhiiyataam = let a bridge by constructed; sarvathaa = by all means; saagara jale = in the waters of the ocean.
"O Rama! I have narrated to you whatever has occurred, in its entirety. Let a bridge be constructed, by all means, across the waters of the ocean."
तौ जात आश्वासौ राज पुत्रौ विदित्वा |
तच् च अभिज्ञानम् राघवाय प्रदाय |
देव्या च आख्यातम् सर्वम् एव आनुपूर्व्यात् |
वाचा सम्पूर्णम् वायु पुत्रः शशंस || ५-६५-२७
27. viditvaa = coming to know; tau raaja putrau = that the two princes; Rama and Lakshmana; jaata aashvaasau = have become confident; pradaaya = and having given; tat abhijJNaanam = that token of remembrance; raaghavaaya = to Rama; vaayu putraH = Hanuma; shashamsa = apprised; vaachaa = in words; sampuurNam = completely; anupuurvyaat = in regular succession; sarvameva = all that; aakhyaatam = was conveyed; devyaa = by Seetha the princess.
Coming to know that the two princes, Rama and Lakshmana have become confident and having given that token of remembrance to Rama, Hanuma apprised completely in so many words, in regular succession, all that was conveyed by Seetha, the princess.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे पञ्चषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© February, 2007, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
Content powered by FREE Go FTP Client