On hearing the words of Sugreeva, Rama requests Hanuma to describe Lanka in detail. Hanuma gives a detailed description of Lanka as he saw it.
सुग्रीवस्य वचः श्रुत्वा हेतुमत् परम अर्थवित् |
प्रतिजग्राह काकुत्स्थो हनूमन्तम् अथ अब्रवीत् || ६-३-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; hetumat = the well-founded; paramaarthavat = and highly meaningful; vachaH = words; sugriivasya = of Sugreeva; kaakutsthoH = Rama; pratijagraaha = concurred with him; atha = (and) then; abraviit = spoke; hanuumantam = to Hanuman(as follows)
Hearing the well-founded and highly reasonable words of Sugreeva, Rama concurred with him and spoke then to Hanuma as follows:
तरसा सेतु बन्धेन सागर उच्चोषणेन वा |
सर्वथा सुसमर्थो अस्मि सागरस्य अस्य लन्घने || ६-३-२
2. asmi = I am; samarthoH = competent of; laN^ghane = crossing; asya saagarasya = this ocean; sarvathaapi = by all means; tapasaa = either by austerity; setubandhena = or by forming a bridge; saagarochchhoshhaNena = or by drying up the ocean.
"I am competent of crossing this ocean by all means, either by way of austerity or by forming a bridge or by drying up the ocean."
कति दुर्गाणि दुर्गाया लंकायास् तद् ब्रवीहि मे |
ज्ञातुम् इच्चामि तत् सर्वम् दर्शनाद् इव वानर || ६-३-३
3. braviishhva = tell; me = me; durgaaNi = citadels; laN^kaayaaH = in Lanka; durgaayaaH = are difficult of access; vaanara = Oh Hanuman! ichchhaami = I desire; jJNaatum = to know; tat = that; darshanaadiva = as though perceived with an eye.
"Tell me how many citadels in Lanka are difficult of access, Oh, Hanuma! I desire to know all that, as though viewed with an eye."
बलस्य परिमाणम् च द्वार दुर्ग क्रियाम् अपि |
गुप्ति कर्म च लंकाया रक्षसाम् सदनानि च || ६-३-४
यथा सुखम् यथावच् च लंकायाम् असि दृष्टवान् |
सरम् आचक्ष्व तत्त्वेन सर्वथा कुशलो हि असि || ६-३-५
4;5. asi = you were; dR^ishhTavaan = the on looker; yathaa sukham = as per your convenience; yathaavachcha = exactly; parimaaNam cha = the size; balasya = of the army; dvaaradurga kriyaam api = fortification of the gates and citadels; laN^kaayaaH guptikarmacha = the way in which Lanka was guarded; sadanaani cha = and the mansions; rakshasaam = of ogres; sarvema = every thing; aachakshhva = tell; tattvena = in accordance with facts; asi hi = you are indeed; kushalaH = skilled; sarvathaa = in all ways.
"You had the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the size of the army, the fortification-details of the gates and citadels, the way in which Lanka was guarded and the various mansions of ogres. Describe everything in accordance with facts, for you are skilled in all ways."
श्रुत्वा रामस्य वचनम् हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
वाक्यम् वाक्यविदाम् श्रेष्ठो रामम् पुनर् अथ अब्रवीत् || ६-३-६
6. shrutvaa = hearing; raamasya = Rama's; vachanam = words; hanumaan = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; shreshhThah = and who was excellent; vaakyavidaam = in the art of expression; atha = forthwith; abraviit = spoke; punaH = once more; raamam = to Rama (as follows):
Hearing the words of Rama, Hanuma the son of wind-god, who was excellent in the art of expression, forthwith spoke once more to Rama as follows:
श्रूयताम् सर्वम् आख्यास्ये दुर्ग कर्म विधानतः |
गुप्ता पुरी यथा लंका रक्षिता च यथा बलैः || ६-३-७
7. shruuyataam = let it be listened! aakhyaasye = I shall tell (you); sarvam = everything; yathaa = how; laN^kaa purii = the city of Lanka; guptaa = has been defended; durgakarma vidhaanataH = by the various methods of fortifications; yathaa = (and) how; rakshhitaacha = (it) has been guarded; balaiH = by the troops.
"Listen to me! I shall tell you everything-how the city of Lanka has been defended by the various methods of fortification and how it has been guarded by the troops."
राक्षसाश्च यथा स्निग्धा रावणस्य च तेजसा |
पराम् समृद्धिम् लंकायाः सागरस्य च भीमताम् || ६-३-८
विभागम् च बल ओघस्य निर्देशम् वाहनस्य च |
एवमुक्त्वा कपिश्रेष्ठः कथयामास तत्ववित् || ६-३-९
8;9. nirdeshamcha = (I shall tell You) the details; yathaa = how; raakshhaasaaH = ogres; snigdhaaH = are attached (to their king); paraam = the excellent; samR^iddhim = prosperity; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka; tejasaa = (generated) by the glory; raavaNasya = of Ravana; bhiimataam = the awfulness; saagarasya = of the ocean; vibhaagam = the division; balaughasya = of the body of his force; vaahanasya = (and) of animals like horses and elephants (carrying his forces other than infantry); uktvaa = saying so; kapishreshhThaH- Hanuma the foremost among monkeys; tattvavit = who knew the truth; kathayaamaasa = told; evam = thus.
"I shall tell you the details of how the ogres are attached to their king, the excellent prosperity of Lanka generated by the glory of Ravana, the awfulness of the ocean, the division of the body of his forces and of animals like horses and elephants carrying his forces other than the infantry." Saying so, Hanuma the foremost among monkeys, who knew the truth narrated as follows.
प्रहृष्टा मुदिता लंका मत्त द्विप समाकुला |
महती रथ सम्पूर्णा रक्षो गण समाकुला || ६-३-१०
10. mahatii = the great; laN^kaa = Lanka; hR^ishhTa pramuditaa = was rejoiced and gayful; matta dvipasamaakulaa = full of elephants in rut; rathaa sampuurNaa = abounding in chariots; rakshhogaNa nishhevitaa = and inhabited by gangs of ogres.
"The great Lanka was rejoiced and gayful, full of elephants in rut, abounding in chariots and inhabited by gangs of ogres."
दृढ बद्ध कवाटानि महापरिघवन्ति च |
चत्वारि विपुलान्यस्या द्वाराणि सुमहान्ति || ६-३-११
11. chatvaari = four; sumahaanti = fairly big; vipulaani = and extensive; dvaaraaNi = gates; asyaaH = of the this Lanka; dR^iDhabaddhakapaaTaani = are fitted with strong doors; mahaaparighavanti = with huge beans for locking the gates.
"Four fairly big and extensive gates are fitted with strong doors along with huge beams for locking those gates."
तत्रेषूपयन्त्राणि बलवन्ति महान्ति च |
आगतम् पर सैन्यम् तैस् तत्र प्रतिनिवार्यते || ६-३-१२
12. tatra = there; balavanti = strong; mahaanti cha = and mighty; isshuupalayantraaNi = ballista capable of hurling darts and stones; pratisainyam = the enemy troops; aagatam = which come; tatra = there; pratinivaaryate = are warded off; taiH = by those catapults.
"Strong and mighty ballista capable of hurling darts and stones have been attached to them. The enemy troops which arrive there are warded off by those catapults at the very gates."
द्वारेषु संस्कृता भीमाः काल आयस मयाः शिताः |
शतशो रोचिता वीरैः शतघ्न्यो रक्षसाम् गणैः || ६-३-१३
13. bhiimaaH = Dangerous; shitaaH = sharp edged; shataghnyaH = Sataghnis; kaalaayasa mayaaH = made of iron; rachitaaH = forged; gaNaiH = by hordes; rakshasaam = of ogres; samskR^itaH = have been kept in readiness; shatashaH = in hundreds; dvaareshhu = at the gates.
"Dangerous and sharp edged Sataghnis made of iron, forged by hordes of ogres, have been kept in readiness in hundreds at the gates.
Comment: Sataghnis are four forearms in length bristled with iron spikes and are so called because they are supposed to kill hundreds at a time.
सौवर्णः च महांस् तस्याः प्राकारो दुष्प्रधर्षणः |
मणि विद्रुम वैदूर्य मुक्ता विचरित अन्तरः || ६-३-१४
14. mahaa praakaaraH = A great rampart; sauvarNaH = of gold; tasyaaH = (encircle) that Lanka; dushhpadharshhaNaH = which is difficult to assail with violence; maNividrumavaiduuryamuktaavirachitaantaraH = and is inlaid at intervals with gems; corals; cat's eyes and pearls.
"A great rampart made of gold, which is difficult to assail with violence and is inlaid at intervals with gems, corals, cat's eyes and pearls, encircle that Lanka."
सर्वतः च महाभीमाः शीत तोया महाशुभाः |
अगाधा ग्राहवत्यः च परिखा मीन सेविताः || ६-३-१५
15. mahaabhiimaaH = most fearful; agaadhaaH = and fathomless; parikhaaH = deep trenches; mahaa shubhaiH = of great splendor; shiitatoyaaH = filled with cold water; graahavatyashcha = infested with alligators; mina sevitaaH = and inhabited by fishes; sarvataH = (are there) all round (the city).
"Most awe-inspiring and fathomless moats (deep trenches) of great splendor, filled with cold water, infested with alligators and inhabited by fishes are there all round the city."
द्वारेषु तासाम् चत्वारः सम्क्रमाः परम आयताः |
यन्त्रैर् उपेता बहुभिर् महद्भिर् दृढ संधिभिः || ६-३-१६
16. dvaareshhu = in front of the gateways; chatvaaraH = (there are) four; paramaayataaH = very extensive; taasaam samkramaaH = draw-bridges; bahubhiH = equipped with numerous; yantraiH = engines; upetaaH = and furnished with; mahadbhiH = considerable; buildings (built on the rampart and meant for those entrusted with the duty of guarding the entrances).
"Anterior to the gateways, there are four very extensive draw-bridges, equipped with numerous engines and furnished with many rows of buildings (built on the rampart and meant for those entrusted with the duty of guarding the entrances)."
त्रायन्ते सम्क्रमास् तत्र पर सैन्य आगमे सति |
यन्त्रैस् तैर् अवकीर्यन्ते परिखासु समन्ततः || ६-३-१७
17. parasainyaagatesati = on the arrival of hostile force; tatra = there; samkramaaH = are protected; taiH = by the aforesaid; yantraiH = engines; avakiiryante = (and the battalions) are flung; parikhaasu = into the moats; samantataH = on every side.
"Against the approach of the enemy forces there, the draw-bridges are protected by the aforesaid engines and the enemy-battalions are flung into the moats on every side."
एकस् त्व् अकम्प्यो बलवान् सम्क्रमः सुमहादृढः |
काञ्चनैर् बहुभिः स्तम्भैर् वेदिकाभिः च शोभितः || ६-३-१८
18. ekaH = the principal; samkramastu = draw-bridge; akampyaH = which is unshakable; sumahaadR^iDhaH = firmly fastened very well; balavaan = and strong; shobhitaH = is embellished with bahubhiH = numerous; kaaJNchanaiH = gold; stambhaiH = pillars vedikaabhishcha = and pedestals.
"The most important draw-bridge which is unshakable, firmly fastened very well and strong, is dazzling with numerous gold pillars and pedestals."
स्वयम् प्रकृति सम्पन्नो युयुत्सू राम रावणः |
उत्थितः च अप्रमत्तः च बलानाम् अनुदर्शने || ६-३-१९
19. raavaNaH = Ravana; yuyutsuH = inclined to war; aapannaH = endowed with; prakR^itam = powers of the state; svayam = himself; apramattashcha = remains alert; utthitashcha = and in readiness; anudarshane = to review; balaanaam = the forces; raama = Oh; Rama!
"Ravana, inclined to war and endowed with powers of the state, himself remains alert and in readiness to review the forces, Oh, Rama!"
Seven powers of the state are usually enumerated, viz. king, minister, allies, treasure, army, territory and fortresses.
लंका पुरी निरालम्बा देव दुर्गा भय आवहा |
न अदेयम् पार्वतम् वन्यम् कृत्रिमम् च चतुर् विधम् || ६-३-२०
20. laN^kaa punaH = "Lanka again; niraalamba = is impregnable; devadurgaa = a celestial citadel; bhayaavahaa = that inspires terror; naadeyam = surrounded by flowing water; paarvatam = built on a mountain; chaturvidham = with its four fold defenses; vaanyam = consisting of forest; kR^ittimamcha = and by artificial fortification.
"Lanka therefore is impregnable, it is a celestial citadel, that inspires terror. Surrounded by water and built on a mountain, it has four fold defenses including forest and artificial fortification."
Comment: Fourfold defences, defence by water, mountain, forest or by artificial means.
स्थिता पारे समुद्रस्य दूर पारस्य राघव |
नौ पथः च अपि न अस्ति अत्र निरादेशः च सर्वतः || ६-३-२१
21. sthitaa = (Lanka) is situated; pare = on the other side; samudrasya = of the ocean; duurapaarasya = which is difficult of access; raaghava = Oh Rama! naasti = there is no; naupathashcha = reach for vessels; atra = there; sarvashaH = on all sides; niraadeshashcha = there is no communication."
"Lanka is situated on the other side of the ocean, which is difficult of access, Oh Rama! It offers no passage for vehicles either and there is no proper communication from all sides."
शैल अग्रे रचिता दुर्गा सा पूर् देव पुर उपमा |
वाजि वारण सम्पूर्णा लंका परम दुर्जया || ६-३-२२
22. saa = that; puuH = city (of Lanka); deva puropamaa = resembling the City of Gods; rachitaa = is built; shailaagre = on a mountain peak; durgaaH = (and is inaccessible; saa = that; laN^kaa = Lanka; vaajivaaraNa sampuurNaa = is abound with horses and elephants; paramadurjayaa = and is extremely difficult to conquer.
"That city of Lanka, resembling the city of Gods, is built on a mountain peak and is inaccessible. That Lanka is abound with horses and elephants and is extremely difficult to conquer."
परिघाः च शतघ्न्यः च यन्त्राणि विविधानि च |
शोभयन्ति पुरीम् लंकाम् रावणस्य दुरात्मनः || ६-३-२३
23. parikhaashcha = deep trenches; shataghnyashcha = and Sataghnis too; yantraaNi cha = as well as engines; vividhaani = of various kinds; shobhayanti = adorn; laN^kaam = Lanka; puriim = the city; raavaNasya = of Ravana; duraatmanaH = the evil-minded.
Deep trenches and Sataghnis too as well as engines of war of every kind adorn Lanka the city of wicked Ravana."
अयुतम् रक्षसाम् अत्र पश्चिम द्वारम् आश्रितम् |
शूल हस्ता दुराधर्षाः सर्वे खड्ग अग्र योधिनः || ६-३-२४
24. ayutam = ten thousand; rakshasaam = ogres; sarve = all; shuulahastaaH = carrying darts in their hands; khadgaagrayodhinaH = warriors contending with swords; duraadharshhaaH = who are difficult to assail; samaashritam = are positioned; puurvam dvaaram = at the eastern gate.
"Ten thousand ogres all carrying darts in their hands and warriors contending with swords, who are difficult to assail, are positioned at the eastern gate."
नियुतम् रक्षसाम् अत्र दक्षिण द्वारम् आश्रितम् |
चतुर् अन्गेण सैन्येन योधास् तत्र अपि अनुत्तमाः || ६-३-२५
25. niyutam = one hundred thousand; rakshasaam = of ogres; aashritam = are positioned; atra = there; dakshhiNa dvaaram = at the southern gate; tatraapi = there also; yodhaaH = warriors; anuttamaaH = unsurpassed by others; sainyena = constitute the army; chaturaN^geNa = with its four limbs(viz. horses; foot soldiers; elephants and chariots).
"One hundred thousand of ogres, with an army of four limbs (viz. horses, foot soldiers, elephants and chariots) are positioned at the southern gate of the city. Warriors unsurpassed by others constitute that army."
प्रयुतम् रक्षसाम् अत्र पूर्व द्वारम् समाश्रितम् |
चर्म खड्ग धराः सर्वे तथा सर्व अस्त्र कोविदाः || ६-३-२६
26. prayutam = one million; rakshasaam = ogres; atra = there; aashritam = are positioned; pashchima dvaaram = at the western gate; sarve = all of them; charmakhaDgadharaaH = carry shields and swords; tathaa = and; sarvaastrakovidaH = proficient in the use of all mystic missiles.
One million troops arrived with shields and swords as well as proficient in the use of all mystic missiles, are positioned at the western gate."
न्यर्बुदम् रक्षसाम् अत्र उत्तर द्वारम् आश्रितम् |
रथिनः च अश्व वाहाः च कुल पुत्राः सुपूजिताः || ६-३-२७
27. nyarbudam = a hundred millions; rakshasaam = of ogres; atra = there; aashritam = are positioned; uttaradvaaram = at the northern gate; rathinaH = (they are) car-warriors; ashvavaahaashcha = horse-soldiers; kulaputraaH = sons of noble families; supuujitaaH = and greatly honored."
"A hundred millions of ogres, who are mounted in chariots or who ride on hoses, sons of distinguished families and greatly honored, are positioned there at the northern gate."
शतम् शत सहस्राणाम् मध्यमम् गुल्मम् आश्रितम् |
यातु धाना दुराधर्षाः साग्र कोटिः च रक्षसाम् || ६-३-२८
28. atha = moreover; yaatudhaanaaH = ogres; shatashaH sahasraaNi = hundreds of thousands in number; duraadarshhaaH = difficult to assail; saagrakoTishcha = aggregating to one and quarter of a crore; rakshasaam = of ogres; aashritaaH = are positioned; madhyamaskandham = at the central division."
"Moreover, ogres hundreds of thousands in number, difficult to attack, aggregating to one and quarter of a crore of ogres are positioned at the central division."
ते मया सम्क्रमा भग्नाः परिखाः च अवपूरिताः |
दग्धा च नगरी लंका प्राकाराः च अवसादिताः || ६-३-२९
बलैकदेशः क्षपितो राक्षसानाम् महात्मनाम् |
29. te = those; samkramaaH = bridges; bhagnaaH = were broken; mayaa = by me; parikhaashcha = moats also; avapuuritaaH = filled up (with the wreckage); laN^kaa nagariim = the city of Lanka; daghaacha = was burnt; praakaaraashcha = defensive walls; avasaaditaaH = pulled down; balaikadeshaH = a part of the army; mahaatmanaam = of the gigantic; raakshasaanaam = ogres; kshapitaH = were destroyed.
"Those bridges were broken by me and the moats were filled up (with the wreckage). The city of Lanka was burnt by me and the defensive walls were pulled down. A part of the army of the gigantic ogres was destroyed."
येन केन तु मार्गेण तराम वरुण आलयम् || ६-३-३०
हता इति नगरी लंकाम् वानरैर् अवधार्यताम् |
30. yena kena tu maargeNa = by some way or other; taraama = we shall cross; varuNaalayam = the ocean; laN^kaanagarii = the city of Lanka; upadhaaryataam = should be assumed; hataa iti = as destroyed; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys."By some way or other; let us cross the ocean. The city of Lanka should be assumed then as destroyed by the monkeys."
"By some way or other, let us cross the ocean. The city of Lanka should be assumed then as destroyed by the monkeys."
अङ्गदो द्विविदो मैन्दो जाम्बवान् पनसो नलः || ६-३-३१
नीलः सेना पतिः चैव बल शेषेण किम् तव |
प्लवमाना हि गत्वा ताम् रावणस्य महापुरीम् || ६-३-३२
सप्रकाराम् सभवनाम् आनयिष्यन्ति मैथिलीम् |
सप्राकाराम् सभवनामानयुष्यन्ति राघव || ६-३-३३
31;32;33. raaghava = Oh; Rama! kim = what is the use; balasheshhaNa = for the rest of the forces; tava = to you? aN^gadaH = Angada; dividaH = Divida; maindaH = Mainda; analaH = Anala; niilashchaiva = and Nila alone; senaapatiH = the commander-in-chief; gatvaa = by reaching; taam = that; raavaNasya mahaapuriim = great city of Ravana; plavamaanaaH = leaping; bhitvaa = and storming (it) saparvatavanaam = with its mountains and woods; sakhaataam = with moats; satoraNaam = with arch-ways; sapraakaaraam = with protective walls; sabhavanaam = with buildings; aanayishhyanti = and recover (Seetha).
"Oh, Rama! What is the use for the rest of the forces to you? Angada, Divida, Mainda, Jambavan, Panasa, Anala and Nila the commander-in-chief alone, by reaching that great city of Ravana leaping and storming Lanka with its mountains and woods, moats and archways, protective walls and buildings, will recover Seetha."
एवम् आज्ञापय क्षिप्रम् बलानाम् सर्व सम्ग्रहम् |
मुहूर्तेन तु युक्तेन प्रस्थानमभिरोचय || ६-३-३४
34. aaJNaapaya = order; kshhipram = quickly; balaanaam sarvasangraham = to get all the forces; evam = accordingly; abhirochaya = be inclined; prasthaanam = for the march; yuktena = at the appropriate moment.
"Order quickly to get all the forces accumulated accordingly. Let us set out at the appropriate moment."
- - - -
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे तृतीयः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Feb 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
Content copied by FREE Go FTP Program