Rama sees Kumbhakarna with a colossal body and enquires Vibhishana about a report of him. Then Vibhishana apprises Rama about Kumbhakarna and narrates his story of his getting curse from Brahma, imprecating him to sleep apparently Vibhishana adds that on an appeal from Ravana Brahma relaxed the curse saying that Kumbhakarna would keep sleeping for every six months and then waking up for a day in a year Vibhishana informs Rama that Ravana got Kumbhakarna awakened and is sending now to the battle. Rama then orders Neela the commander-in-cheif to marshal his entire army of monkeys in their appropriate positions in Lanka. On hearing Rama's orders the army of monkeys start their fighting operation.
ततो रामो महातेजा धनुरादाय वीर्यवान् |
किरीटिनम् महाकायम् कुम्भकर्णम् ददर्श ह || ६-६१-१
1. aadaaya = having taken; dhanuH = his bow; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great brilliance; viiryavaan = and prowess; tataH = then; dadarsha = saw; mahaakaayam = the bulky; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; kirriTinam = decorated with a diadem.
Having taken his bow, Rama of great brilliance and prowess, then beheld the bulky Kumbhakarna, adorned with a diadem.
तम् दृष्ट्वा राक्षसश्रेष्ठम् पर्वताकारदर्शनम् |
क्रममाणमिवाकाशम् पुरा नारायणम् प्रभुम् || ६-६१-२
2. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam raakSasashreSTham = that paramount demon; parvataakaara darshanam = whose appearance was in the form of a mountain; prabhum naaraayaNam yathaa = looking like Lord Narayana (the son of the original Man); kramamaaNam = taking strides across; aakaasham = space; puraa = long ago (manifested in the form of Trivikrama; who measured the whole universe in a couple of strides) Rama became vigilant).
Seeing that paramount demon, whose appearance was in the form of a mountain and looking like Lord Narayana (the son of the original Man); taking strides across space, (manifested in the form of Trivikrama, who measured the whole universe in a couple of strides) Rama became vigilant.
सतोयाम्बुदसम्काशम् काञ्चनाङ्गदभूषणम् |
दृष्ट्वा पुनः प्रदुद्राव वानराणाम् महाचमूः || ६-६१-३
3. dR^iSTvaa = beolding; (him); punaH = again; satoyaambuda samkaasham = who was appearing like a rainy black cloud; kaaNchanaaN^gada bhuuSaNam = wearing a golden bracelet as an ornament on his upper arm; mahaa chamuuH = that large army; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; pradudraava = took to their heels speadily.
Beholding him again, who was appear like a rainy black cloud and wearing a golden bracelet as an ornament on his upper arm, that huge army of monkeys took to their heels in full speed.
विद्रुताम् वाहिनीम् दृष्ट्वा वर्धमानम् च राक्षसम् |
सविस्मितमिदम् रामो विभीषणमुवाच ह || ६-६१-४
4. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; vaahiniim = the army; vidrutaam = who ran away; raakSasamcha = and the demon; vardhamaanam = who was increasing his body; raamaH = Rama; savismitam = with a surprise; uvaacha ha = spoke; vibhiiSaNam = to Vibhishana; idam = these words.
Seeing the army running away and the demon increasing his body, Rama with a surprise, spoke to vibhishana as follows:
कोऽसु पर्वतसम्काशः किरीटी हरिलोचनः |
लङ्कायाम् दृश्येते वीरः सविद्युदिव तोयदः || ६-६१-५
5. viiraH = this eminent demon; parvata samkaashaH = who appears like a mountian; kiriiTii iva = with a diadem; harilochanaH = and tawny eyes; toyadaH iva = looking like a cloud; savidyut = is seen; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; kaH = who; asau = is he?
"This eminent demon, appearing as a mountain, with a diadem and tawmy eyes and looking like a cloud with a flash of lightning, is seen in Lanka. Who is he?"
पृथिव्याम् केतुभूतोऽसौ महानेकोऽत्र दृश्यते |
यम् दृष्ट्वा वानराः सर्वे विद्रवन्ति यतस्ततः || ६-६१-६
6. asau = he; ekaH = alone; mahaan = with a huge body; atra = here; pR^ithivaam = on earth; dR^ishyate = is appearing; ketu bhuutaH = like a meteror; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; yam = whom; sarve = all; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; vidravanti = are running away; yatastataH = here and there.
"He alone with a huge body here on this earth, is appearing like a solitary meteror, by seeing whom all the monkeys are running away hither and thither."
आचक्ष्व सुमहान् कोऽसौ रक्षो वा यदि वासुरः |
न मयैवम्विधम् भूतम् दृष्टपूर्वम् कदाचन || ६-६१-७
7. kaH = who; asau = is he; sumahaan = with a very large body?; aachakSva = tell; rakSaH vaa = whether he is a demon; yadivaa = or; asuraH = an evil spirit; evam vidham = such; bhuutam = a being; na dR^iSTvaa puurvan = has never been seen earlier; mayaa = by me; kadaachana = at any time.
"Who is he with such a colossal body? Tell me whether he is a demon or an evil spirit. I have not seen such a creature earlier at any time."
सम्पृष्टो राजपुत्रेण रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा |
विभीषणो महाप्राज्ञः काकुत्थ्समिदमब्रवीत् || ६-६१-८
8. sampR^STaH = asked (thus); raameNa = by Rama; raajaputreNa = the prince; akliSTakarmaNaa = who was unweary in action; mahaapraaJNaH = the highly intelligent; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaakutthsam = to Rama.
Thus asked by Rama the prince, who was unweary in action, the highly intelligent Vibhishana replied to Rama as follows:
येन वैवस्वतो युद्धे वासवश्च पराजितः |
सैष विश्रवसः पुत्रः कुम्भकर्णः प्रतापवान् || ६-६१-९
अस्य प्रमाणसदृशो राक्षसोऽन्यो न विद्यते |
9. yena = by whm; yuddhe = in the battle; vaivasvataH = Yama; vaasavascha = and indra; paraajitaH = were defeated; saH eSaH = that very person; prataapavaan kumbhakarNah = is the powerful kumbhakara; putraH = the son; vishravasaH = of Visravasa; na vidyate = there is no; anyaH raakSasaH = other demon; asya pramaaNa sadR^ishaH = corresponding to his size.
"He is the powerful Kumbhakarna, the son of Visravasa. He conquered Yama and Indra in battle. Tehre is no other demon, corresponding to the size of his body."
एतेन देवा युधि दानवाश्च |
यक्षाभुजम्गाः पिशिताशनाश्च |
सहस्रशो राघव सम्प्रभग्नाः || ६-६१-१०
10. raaghava = O; Rama!; etena = by him; sahasrashaH = thousands of; devaah = celestials; daanavaashcha = demons; yakSaaH = a class of demi-gods; bhujangaaH = serpent-demons; pishitaashanaashcha = ogres; gandharva vidyaadhara pannagaashcha = celestial musicians; celestial artistes and kinnaras (semi divine beings with the human form and with the head of a horse); yudhi = in battle.
"O Rama! He conquered thousands of celestials, demons, a class of demi-gods, serpent demons, ogres, Gandharvas teh celestial musicians, Vidyadharas the celestials artistes and Kinnaras (the semi-divine beings with the human form and the head of a horse) in battle."
शूलपाणिं विरूपाक्षम् कुम्भकर्णम् महाबलम् |
हन्तुम् न शेकुस्त्रिंदशाः कालोऽयमिति मोहिताः || ६-६१-११
11. kumbhakarNam mahaabalam = (Seeing) the mighty Kumbhakarna; viruupakSam = having ghastly eyes; shuulapaaNim = with a spear in hand; tridashaaH = the celestials; na shekuH = were not able; hantum = to kill (him); mohitaaH = confused to think ayam kaalaH iti = that he was Yama the god of Death.
"Seeing the mighty Kumbharana with ghastly eyes and a spear in hand, the celestials were not able to kill him, having confused to think that he was yama the god of Death."
प्रकृत्या ह्येष तेजस्वी कुम्भकर्णो महाबलः |
अन्येषाम् राक्षसेंद्राणाम् वरदानकृतम् बलम् || ६-६१-१२
12. eSaH = this; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbharna; prakR^itaa = by his very nature; tejasvii = is energetic; mahaabalaH = and mighty; balam = the strength; anyeSaam raakSasendraaNaam = of the other demons-chiefs; varadaanakR^itam = is attributable to boons; (granted on request by gods).
"This Kumbhakarna, by his very nature, is energetic and mighty. The strength of the other demon-chiefs is attributable to boons (granted on request by gods)."
एतेन जातमात्रेण क्षुधार्तेन महात्मना |
भक्षितानि सहस्राणि सत्त्वानाम् सुबहून्यपि || ६-६१-१३
13. jaatamaatreNa = soon after his birth; sabahuuni api = several; sahasraaNi = thousands; sattvaanaam = were eaten; etena mahaatmanaa = by this great souled demon; kSudhaartena = afflicted as he was by hunger.
"Soon after his birth, this great-souled demon, afflicted as he was by hunger, ate thousands of living creatures."
तेषु सम्भक्ष्यमाणेषु प्रजा भयनि पीडिताः |
यान्ति स्म शरणम् शक्रम् तमप्यर्थम् न्यवेदयन् || ६-६१-१४
14. teSu sambhakSyamaaNeSu = while they were being eaten; prajaaH = the people; bhayanipiiDitaaH = tormented by fear; sharaNam yaanti sma = sought refuge with; shakram = Indra; nyavedayan = and reported; artham api = the matter also; tam = about him.
"While the living being were being eaten, the frightened people sought refuge with Indra and even reported the matter about him."
स कुम्भकर्णम् कुपितो महेन्द्रो
जघान वज्रेण शितेन वज्री |
स शक्रवज्रभिहतो महात्मा |
चचाल कोपाच्च भृशम् ननाद || ६-६१-१५
15. saH = that; mahendraH = Mahendra; vajrii = having a thunderbolt; kupitaH = was enraged; jaghaana = and struck; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; shitena vajreNa = with the white thunder-bolt; mahaatmaa = the great souled; saH = Kumbhakarna; shakravajraabhihataH = struck by Indra's thunderbolt; chachaala = was quite agitated; bhR^isham nanaada cha = and roared loudly; kopaat = with anger.
That Mahendra wielding a thunder-bolt was enraged and struck Kumbhakarna with his weapon of the white thunderbolt. The great souled Kumbhakarna struck by Indra's thunderbolt was quite agitatated at it and roared loudly with anger."
तस्य नानद्यमानस्य कुम्भकर्णस्य रक्षसः |
श्रुत्वा निनादम् वित्रस्ताः प्रजा भूयो वितत्रसुः || ६-६१-१६
16. shrutvaa = hearing; ninaadam = the roar; tasya kumbhakarNasya = of that Kumbhakarna; rakSasaH = the demon; naanadyamaanasya = who was howling loudly; vitrastaaH = the frightened; prajaaH = people; bhuuyaH viratrasuH = were further frightened.
"Hearing the roar of that Kumbakarna, the demon, wh was howling loudly, the grigthened people were further frightened."
ततः क्रुद्धो महेन्द्रस्य कुम्भकर्णो महाबलः |
निष्कृष्यैरावताद्दन्तम् जघानोरसि वासवम् || ६-६१-१७
17. kruddhaH = enraged; mahendrasya = on Mahendra; mahaabalaH = the mighty; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; tataH = then; niSkR^iSya = pulled out; danam = a tusk; airaavataat = of Airavata; Indra's elephant; jaghaama = and struck it; urasi = into the chest; vaasavam = of Indra.
"Enraged as he was on Mahendra, the mighty Kumbhakarna then pulled out a tusk of Airavata, Indra's elephant and struck it into Indra's chest."
कुम्भकर्णप्रहारार्तो विजज्वाल स वासवः |
ततो विषेदुः सहसा देवा ब्रह्मर्षिदानवाः || ६-६१-१८
प्रजाभिः सह शक्रश्च ययौ स्थानम् स्वयम्भूवः |
18. saH vaasavaH = that Devendra; kumbhakarna prahaartaartaH = tormented by the hit of Kumbhakarna; vijajvaala = was burning with rage; tataH = then; devaaH = the celestials; brahmarSi daanavaaH = Brahmanical sages and demons; sahasaa = were suddenly; viSeduH = aggrieved; shakrashcha = even Indra; prajaabhiH saha = with his people; yayau = went; sthaanam = to the abode; svayambhuvaH = of Brahma the Lord of creation.
"That Devendra, tormented by the hit of Kumbhakarna, was burning with rage. The celestials, Brahmanical sages and demons were suddenly aggrieved. Even Indra with his people went to the abode of Brahma the Lord of creation."
कुम्भकर्णस्य दौरात्म्यम् शशंसुस्ते प्रजापतेः || ६-६१-१९
प्रजानाम् भक्षणम् चापि धर्षणम् च दिवौकसाम् |
आश्रमध्वंसनम् चापि परस्त्रीहरणम् तथा || ६-६१-२०
19; 20. te = they; shashamsuH = informed; dauraatmyam = about the evil-mindedness; kumbhakarNasya = of Kumbhakarna; prajaapateH = to brahama; (saying about); bhakSaNamchaapi = the eating away; prajaanaam = of the living creatures; dharSaNam cha = the assault; divaukasaam = on celestials; aashrama dhvamsanamcha api = the destroyal of hermitages; tathaa = and; parastriiharaNam = the taking away of others' wives.
"They informed about the evil-mind of Kumbhakarna to Brahma, how he devoured the living creatures, his assault on celestials, the destroyal of hermitages and his taking away of others' wives."
एवम् प्रजा यदि त्वेष भक्षयिष्यति नित्यशः |
अचिरेणैव कालेन शून्यो लोको भविष्यति || ६-६१-२१
21. eSaH yadi = if he; bhakSayiSyati = eats away; prajaaH = the created beings; nityashaH = continuously; evam = like this; lokaH = the world; bhaviSyati = will become; shuumyaH = desolate; achireNa kaalenaiva = just soon after some time.
"If he eats away the created beings continuously like this, the world will become desolate just soon after some time."
वासवस्य वचः श्रुत्वा सर्वलोकपितामहः |
रक्षांस्यावाहयामास कुम्भकर्णम् ददर्श ह || ६-६१-२२
22. shrutvaa = on hearing; vachaH = the words; vaasavasya = of Indra; sarva lokapitaamahaH = Brahma; the great grandfather of the entire world; rakSaamsi aavaahayaamaasa = called for the demons; dadarsha ha = and saw; kumbhakarNam = Kumbakarna.
"On hearing the words of Indra, Brahama, the great grandfather of the entire world, called for the demons and saw Kumbhakarna too along with them."
कुम्भकर्णम् समीक्ष्यैव वितत्रास प्रजापतिः |
कुम्भकर्णमथाश्वस्तः स्वयम्भूरिदमब्रवीत् || ६-६१-२३
23. samiikSyaiva = just on seeing; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; prajaapatiH = Brahma; vitatraasa = was frightened; atha = thereafter; aashvastaH = on restoring confidence; svayambhuuH = Brahma; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kumbharNam = to Kumbhakarna.
"Just on seeing Kumbhakarna even Brahma was frightened. Thereafter on restoring his confidence, Brahma cursed Kumbhakarna as follows:
ध्रुवम् लोकविनाशाय पौलस्त्येनासि निर्मितः |
तस्मात्त्वमद्यप्रभृति मृतकल्पः शयिष्यसे || ६-६१-२४
24. nirmitaH asi = you were created; paulastyena = by Visravasa; loka vinaashaaya = for destroyal of the people; dhruvam = It is sure; tasmaat = therefore; tvam = you; shayiSyase = will be sleeping; adya prabhR^iti = from now onwards; mR^ita kalpaH = apparently dead.
"It is sure that you were created by visravasa for the destroyal of people. On that account, you will be sleeping apparently dead from now onwards."
ब्रह्मशापाभिभूतोऽथ निपपाताग्रतः प्रभोः |
ततः परमसम्भ्रान्तो रावणो वाक्यमब्रवीत् || ६-६१-२५
25. atha = then; brahmashaapaabhibhuutaH = humbled by Brahma's curse; (Kumbhakarna) nipapaata = fell; agrataH = in front; prabhoH = of Ravana; tataH = thereupon; paramasambhraantaH = the highly perplexed; raavaNaH = Ravana; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words:
"Humbled by Brahma's curse, Kumbhakarna then fell down in front of Ravana. Thereupon, the highly perplexed Ravana spoke the following words:"
प्रवृद्धः काञ्चनो वृक्षः फलकाले निकृन्त्यते |
न नप्तारम् स्वकम् न्याय्यम् शप्तुमेवम् प्रजापते || ६-६१-२६
26. prajaapate = O Brahma!; phalakaale- at the time of yielding its fruits; pravR^iddhaH = a well-grown; kaaN^chanaH vR^ikSaH = golden tree; nikR^intyate = is being cut off; na nyaayam = It is not fair (on your part); shaptum = to curse; evam = like this; svakam = your own; naptaaram = great grandson.
"'O Brahma! You are cutting off a well-grown golden tree, just at the time of yielding its fruit. It is not fair on your part to curse your own great grandson like this."
न मिथ्यावचनश्च त्वम् स्वप्स्यत्येव न संशयः |
कालस्तु क्रियतामस्य शयने जागरे तथा || ६-६१-२७
27. tvam = you; na cha = are not; mithyaavachanaH = the one; telling; untruth; samshayaH na = there is no doubt; svapsyatyeva = he will certainly sleep; kaalaH kriyataam = let a space of time be created; asya shayane = between his sleeping; tathaa = and; jaagare = waking-up.
"Your words can never prove to be in vain. There is no doubt about it. He will have to sleep certainly. Let some space of time be fixed for his sleeping and waking."
रावस्य वचः श्रुत्वा स्वयम्भूरिदमब्रवीत् |
शयिता ह्येष षण्मासानेकाहम् जागरिष्यति || ६-६१-२८
28. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; raavaNasya = of Ravana; svayambhuuH = Brahma; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; eSaH = He; shayitaahi = will indeed sleep; shat maasaan = for six months; jaagariSyati = and wake-up; ekaaham = for a day.
"Hearing the words of Ravana, Brahma spoke as follows: He will indeed sleep for six months and wake-up for a day."
एकेनाह्ना त्वसौ वीरश्च रन् भूमिम् बुभुक्षितः |
व्यात्तास्यो भक्षयेल्लोकान् सम्वृद्ध इव पावकः || ६-६१-२९
29. ekena aahnaa = on that single day; asau viiraH = this male-demon; bubhukSitaH = having starved; charan = while wandering; bhuumim = over the earth; bhakSayet = will eat; lokaan = the world of human beings; vyaatyaasyaH = with his month wide open; savR^iddhah paavakaH iva = as an augmented fire.
"On that single day, this male demon, having starved for six months, will wander over the earth and eat the human race with his month wide open, like an augmented fire."
सोऽसौ व्यसनमापन्नः कुम्भकर्णमबोधयत् |
त्वत्पराक्रमभीतश्च राजा सम्प्रति रावणः || ६-६१-३०
30. asau = this; raavaNaH = Ravana; saH = that very person; raajaa = the king (of demons); aapannaH = who got into; vyasanam = an evil plight; tvat paraakramabhiitaH = and frightened as he was in your prowess; samprati = now; abodhayat = got awakened; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna.
"Ravana, the king of demons, who got into an evil plight and frightened as he was in seeing your prowess, now got Kumbhakarna awakened."
स एष निर्गतो वीरः शिबिराद्भीमविक्रमः |
वानरान् भृशसम्क्रुद्धो भक्षयन् परिधावति || ६-६१-३१
31. eSaH = this; saH viiraH = Kumbhakarna that very person; the male-demon; bhiima vikramaH = with a terrific prowess; nirgataH = started; shibiraat = from his tent; bhR^ishasamkruddhaH = the highly enraged Kumbharana; bhakSayan = eating; vaanaraan = the monkeys (on the way); paridhaavati = is running (towards us).
"This Kumbhakarna the male-demon with a terrific prowess started his tent. The highly enraged Kumbhakara devourincg the monkeys on is way, is running towards us."
कुम्भकर्णम् प्रतीक्ष्यैव हरयोऽद्य प्रदुद्रुवुः |
कथमेनम् रणे क्रुद्धम् वारयिष्यन्ति वानराः || ६-६१-३२
32. pratiikSyaiva = even on merely seeing; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; harayaH = the monkeys; adya = now; pradudruvuH = have fled away; katham = how; vaanaraaH = can the monkeys; vaarayiSyanti = check; enam = him; kruddham = who is enraged; raNe = in battle?
"Even on merely seeing Kumbhakarna, the monkeys have now fled away. How can the monkeys check him, who is thus enraged in battle?"
उच्यन्ताम् वानराः सर्वे यन्त्रमेतत्समुच्छ्रितम् |
इति विज्ञाय हरयो भविष्यन्तीह निर्भयाः || ६-६१-३३
33. sarve = vaanaraaH = let all the monkeys; uchyantaam = be told; etat = that it is; samuchchhritam yantram = a kind of machine; advancing forward; vijNaaya = by knowing; iti = this; bhaviSyanti = they can become; nirbhayaaH = fearless; iha = by now.
"Let all the monkeys be told that it is a kind of machine, advancing forward. By knowing this, they can become fearless by now."
विभीषणवचः श्रुत्वा हेतुमत्सुमुखोद्गतम् |
उवाच राघवो वाक्यम् नीलम् सेनापतिम् तदा || ६-६१-३४
34. shrutvaa = On hearing; vibhiiSaNavachaH = Vibhishana's words; hetumat = which were well-founded; sumukhodgatam = to make the monkeys inclined (to fight the battle); raamaH = Rama; tadaa = then; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; niilam = to Neela; senaapatim = the chief of army.
On hearing Vibhishana's words, which were well-founded to make the monkeys well-inclined to fight the battle, Rama then spoke the follwoing words to neela, the chief of army:
गच्छ सैन्यानि सर्वाणि व्यूह्य तिष्टस्य पावके |
द्वाराण्यादाय लङ्कायाश्चर्याश्चाप्यथ सम्क्रमान् || ६-६१-३५
35. paavake = O Neela the son of fire-god!; gachchha = go; vyuuhya = marshalling; sarvaaNi sainyaani = the entire army; aadaaya = occupying; dvaaraaNi = the door-ways; charyaashchaapi = highways; atha = and; samkramaan = bridges; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka; tiSTha = stand ready for operation.
"O Neela the son of fire-god. Go, marshalling the entire army. Occupying the door-ways, high-ways and bridges of Lanka, stand ready for operation."
शैलशृङ्गाणि वृक्षांश्च शिलाश्चाप्युपसम्हर |
तिष्ठन्तु सायुधाः सर्वे वानराः शैलपाणयः || ६-६१-३६
36. upasamhara = draw together; shaila shR^iN^gaaNi = the mountain-tops; vR^ikSaamshcha = trees; shilaashchaapi = and even the rocks; sarve vaanaraaH = (Let) all the monkeys; saayudhaaH = with their weapons; shaila paaNayaH = and rocks in hand; tiSThantu = stand ready.
"Draw together the mountain-tops, trees and even the rocks. Let all the monkeys with their weapons and rocks in hand, stand ready."
राघवेण समादिष्टो नीलो हरिचमूपतिः |
शशास वानरानीकम् यथावत्कपिकुञ्जरः || ६-६१-३७
37. samaadiSTah = as directed; raaghaveNa = by Rama; niilaH = Neela; harichamuupatiH = the commander-in-cheif; kapikuN^jaraH = and the foremost among the monkeys; shashaasa = ordered; vaanaraaniikam = the monkey-troops; yathaavat = suitably.
As directed by Raghavana, Neela the commander-in-chief and the foremost of the monkeys, ordered the monkey-troops suitably.
तत्तो गवाक्षः शरभो हनूमानङ्गदस्तथा |
शैलशृङ्गाणि शैलाभा गृहीत्वा द्वारमभ्ययुः || ६-६१-३८
38. tataH = then; gavaakSaH = Gavaksha; sharabhaH = Sharabha; hanuumaan = Hanuma; tathaa = and; aN^gadaH = Angada; shailaabhaaH = looking like mountains; abhyayuH = reached; dvaaram = the gate; gR^ihiitvaa = taking; shailashR^iNgaaNi = the mountain-tops.
Then, Gavaksha, Sharabha, Hanuma and Angada looking like mountains, reached the gate, taking the mountian-tops.
रामवाक्यमुपश्रुत्य हरयो जीतकाशिनः |
पादपैरर्दयन्वीरा वानराः परवाहिनीम् || ६-६१-३९
39. upashrutya = on hearing; raamavaakyam = Rama's words; jitaashinnaH = the fearless; harayaH = monkeys; (started their operation); viiraaH = the heroic; vaanaraaH = monkeys; ardayan = tormented; paravaahiniim = the enemy-troops; paadapaiH = with trees.
On hearing Rama's words, the fearless monkeys started their operation. The heroic monkeys began to torment the enemy-troops with uplifted trees.
ततो हरीणाम् तदनीकमुग्रम् |
रराज शैलोद्यतवृक्षहस्तम् |
गिरेः समीपानुगतम् यथैव |
महन्महाम्भोधरजालमुग्रम् || ६-६१-४०
40. tataH = then; tat = that; ugram = terrrific; hariiNaam = (army) of monkeys; shailodayata vR^ikSahastam = with uplifted rocks and trees in their hands; raraaja = shne; mahat mahaambhodharajaalamyathaiva = like a big collection of giagantic clouds; samiipaanugate = hanging close; gireH = to a mountain.
That terrific army of monkeys, with uplifted rocks and tress in their hands, shone like a big collection of gigantic clouds, hanging close to a mountain.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2006, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
verse and locator
Content transferred by Go FTP FREE Software