Shuurpanakha comes again to her brother Khara to report that all the fourteen demons sent by him are slain by Rama. She persuades him to wage a war against Rama and Lakshmana and annihilate them for they intruded into Dandaka and there is every possibility of onslaught by them on demons.
स पुनः पतिताम् दृष्ट्वा क्रोधात् शूर्पणखाम् खरः |
उवाच व्यक्तता वाचा ताम् अनर्थ अर्थम् आगताम् || ३-२१-१
1. saH kharaH = he, Khara; punaH patitaam shuurpaNakhaam dR^iSTvaa = again, fallen - before him, Shuurpanakha, on seeing; anartha artham aagataam = calamity, for the purpose of, came back - to wreck havoc on; taam = to her; vyaktataa vaacaa = in clear, words; krodhaat uvaaca = furiously, said.
On seeing Shuurpanakha who came back only to wreck havoc on demonic race and again fell before him as before, Khara spoke this sentence to her in clear terms in all his fury. [3-21-1]
मया तु इदानीम् शूराः ते राक्षसा पिशित अशनाः |
त्वत् प्रियार्थम् विनिर्दिष्टाः किम् अर्थम् रुद्यते पुनः || ३-२१-२
2. mayaa = by me; tvat priya artham = your, wish, to fulfill; idaaniim = just now; pishita ashanaaH = flesh, eating, demons; shuuraaH = fearless ones; te raakSasaa = those, demons are; vinirdiSTaaH [vi nir diSTaaH] = very, clearly, directed] commanded; punaH kim artham rudyate = again, what, for, it is wept - you howl.
"What for your are howling again when I have just now commanded those fearless flesh eating demons in order to fulfill your wish? [3-21-2]
भक्ताः चैव अनुरक्ताः च हिताः च मम नित्यशः |
हन्यमाना अपि न हन्यन्ते न न कुर्युः वचो मम || ३-२१-३
3. [Those demons are]; bhaktaaH caiva anuraktaaH ca = admirers, also, adherers, also; nityashaH mama hitaaH ca = always, of mine, well-wishers; hanyamaanaa api na hanyante = being killed, even, not, killable; mama vacaH = my, word [order]; na na kuryuH = no, not, doers - no question of not accomplishing my order.
"Those demons are my admirers, adherers and they always remained my well-wishers, hence there is no question of their non-accomplishment of my orders. [3-21-3]
किम् एतत् श्रोतुम् इच्छ्हामि कारणम् यत् कृते पुनः |
हा नाथ इति विनर्दन्ती सर्पवत् चेष्टसे क्षितौ || ३-२१-४
4. yat kR^ite = what, owing to; haa naatha iti = ha, lord, thus; vi nardantii = verily, bawling; punaH sarpa vat = again, serpent, as with; kSitau ceSTase [luThasi] = on ground, gesturing - wriggling; etat kaaraNam = for this, reason; kim = what is it; shrotum icChaami = to listen, I wish to.
"Owing to what you are highly bawling by saying, 'haa, lord' and wriggle on the ground like a snake? I would like to know the reason for all this, what is it? [3-21-4]
अनाथ वत् विलपसि किम् नु नाथे मयि स्थिते |
उत्तिष्ठोत्तिष्ठ मा मैवम् वैक्लव्यम् त्यज्यताम् इति || ३-२१-५
5. naathe mayi sthite = one who cares for, I am, when I am available; maam = to me; kim nu = why, really; a naatha vat vilapasi = un, cared-for, like, you cry out; uttiSTha uttiSTha = get up, get up; evam vaiklavyam tyajyataam = this sort, perplexity, ward off, thus; iti = thus he said.
"I am here to take care of you, then why should you really cry out like an uncared-for being, get up...get up, and ward off this sort of perplexity." Thus Khara said to Shuurpanakha. [3-21-5]
इति एवम् उक्ता दुर्धर्षा खरेण परिसान्त्विता |
विमृज्य नयने स अस्रे खरम् भ्रातरम् अब्रवीत् || ३-२१-६
6. iti evam uktaa = thus, that way, she is said; khareNa pari saantvitaa = by Khara, wholly, pacified; dur dharSaa = un, assailable one - here, unassuageable one, Shuurpanakha; sa asre nayane = with, tears, eyes; vimR^ijya = on dabbing; bhraataram kharam abraviit = to brother, Khara, she spoke.
She that Shuurpanakha who is otherwise an unassuageable one is wholly pacified when Khara spoke to her thus that way, and she on dabbing her tearful eyes then spoke to her brother Khara. [3-21-6]
अस्मि इदानीम् अहम् प्रप्ता हत श्रवण नासिका |
शोणित ओघ परिक्लिन्ना त्वया च परिसमन्विता || ३-२१-७
7. hata shravaNa naasikaa = having chopped, ears, nose; aham = I; shoNita ogha pari klinnaa = gushes, blood, fully, wetted with; idaaniim = now - just a while back; praaptaa asmi = came here, I am; tvayaa parisaanvitaa [pari saantvitaa] ca = by you, completely, comforted, also - isn't it.
"I came to you just a while back with my ears and nose chopped off and wet with gushes of blood, and you too have comforted me, isn't it. [3-21-7]
प्रेषिताः च त्वया शूरा राक्षसाः ते चतुर् दश |
निहन्तुम् राघवम् घोराम् मत् प्रियार्थम् स लक्ष्मणम् || ३-२१-८
8. shuuraa = oh, valiant one; tvayaa = by you; mat priya artham = to my, delight, for the reason of; sa lakSmaNam = with, Lakshmana; ghoram raaghavam nihantum = atrocious, Raghava, to eliminate; te catur dasha raakSasaaH preSitaaH ca = by you, fourteen, demons, sent, isn't it.
"Oh, valiant brother, for my delight you too have sent fourteen demons to eliminate that atrocious Rama along with Lakshmana, isn't it? [3-21-8]
ते तु रामेण सामर्षाः शूल पट्टिस पाणयः |
समरे निहताः सर्वे सायकैः मर्म भेदिभिः || ३-२१-९
9. sa amarSaaH = with, envious anger; shuula paTTisa paaNayaH = spears, bolts, in hands; te sarve = they, all; raameNa = by Rama; marma bhedibhiH saayakaiH = crucial-parts, cleavers, with arrows; samare nihataaH = in war, killed.
"But they all who handled their spears and bolts along with an envious anger are killed in a fight with Rama by his arrows that cleave the crucial parts of his opponents. [3-21-9]
तान् भूमौ पतितान् दृष्ट्वा क्षणेन एव महाजवान् |
रामस्य च महत् कर्म महान् त्रासो अभवन् मम || ३-२१-१०
10. kSaNena eva = in a trice; bhuumau patitaan = on earth, fallen; mahaa javaan = highly impetuous ones; taan = them, the demons; raamasya mahat karma ca = Rama's, unusual, deed, also; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; mama = to me; mahaan traasaH abhavat = great, alarm, became - fell upon me.
"On seeing those highly impetuous demons falling to earth in a trice, and even on seeing the unusual deed of Rama in felling them, I am highly alarmed. [3-21-10]
सा अस्मि भीता समुद्विग्ना विषण्णा च निशाचर |
शरणम् त्वाम् पुनः प्राप्ता सर्वतो भय दर्शिनी || ३-२१-११
11. nishaacara = oh, nightwalker [Khara]; saa = such as I am; bhiitaa sam udvignaa = scared, fully, frenzied; viSaNNaa ca = despaired, also; asmi = I became; sarvataH bhaya darshinii = from everywhere, dread, beholding; punaH tvaam sharaNam praaptaa = again, you, for refuge, I sought.
"Oh me! I am alarmed, fully frenzied, and even despaired, oh, nightwalker Khara, and beholding dread everywhere again I have come seeking your refuge. [3-21-11]
विषाद नक्र अध्युषिते परित्रास ऊर्मि मालिनि |
किम् माम् न त्रायसे मग्नाम् विपुले शोक सागरे || ३-२१-१२
12. viSaada nakra adhyuSite = despair, [called] crocodile, pervasive; paritraasa uurmi maalini = overly frightening, waves, undulation - a roller = a long swelling wave; vipule shoka = vast, sorrow; saagare magnaam = [called] ocean, drowned; maam kim na traayase = me, why, not, rescue.
"Why do not you rescue me when I am drowned in a vast ocean called grief, wherein each pervasive crocodile is despair and each swelling wave is fright. [3-21-12]
एते च निहता भूमौ रामेण निशितैः शरैः |
ये च मे पदवीम् प्राप्ता राक्षसाः पिशित अशनाः || ३-२१-१३
13. pishita ashanaaH = flesh, eaters; ye raakSasaaH = which, demons; me padaviim praaptaa = my, on path, treaded - followed me; ete ca = they, also; raameNa = by Rama; bhuumau = on earth; nishitaiH sharaiH nihataa = with sharp, arrows, felled [adding to my problems, for which I have a contrite spirit.]
"Besides, those flesh-eating demons that have followed me are also felled by Rama with his sharp arrows, for whom I have a contrite heart. [3-21-13]
मयि ते यदि अनुक्रोशो यदि रक्षःसु तेषु च |
रामेण यदि शक्तिः ते तेजो वा अस्ति निशा चर || ३-२१-१४
दण्डकारण्य निलयम् जहि राक्षस कण्टकम् |
14, 15a. nishaa cara = oh, night, walker Khara; te mayi = to you, on me; teSu rakSaHsu ca = on those, demons, also; anukroshaH asti yadi = mercy, is there, if; te raameNa = to you, with Rama [to fight]; shaktiH = ability; tejoaH vaa = animation, or; asti yadi = is there, if; daNDaka araNya nilayam = in Dandaka, forest, dwellers of; raakSasa kaNTakam = for demons, a thorn; jahi = kill.
"If you have mercy on me, and even on those dead demons, and if ability and animation are still left in you to cope with Rama, oh, nightwalker, kill that Rama who is a thorn in the side of demons dwelling in Dandaka forest. [3-21-14, 15a]
यदि रामम् अमित्रघ्नम् न त्वम् अद्य वधिष्यसि || ३-२१-१५
तव चैव अग्रतः प्राणान् त्यक्ष्यामि निरपत्रपा |
15b, 16a. a+mitra ghnam = un, friendly ones, destroyer; raamam tvam adya = Rama, you, now itself; na vadhiSyasi yadi = not, going to kill, if; nir apatrapaa = lexically: without, shame; here - unhesitatingly; tava agrataH caiva = in your, before, thus - that too; [adya = now itself]; praaNaan tyakSyaami = lives, I leave off.
"If you are not going to kill that enemy destroyer Rama now itself, I will give up my life unhesitatingly, that too in your fore, that too now itself.
If you are not going to kill that enemy destroyer Rama now itself, now itself I will give up my life than living a shameless life with these lopped ears and nose. [3-21-15b, 16a]
बुद्ध्या अहम् अनुपश्यामि न त्वम् रामस्य संयुगे || ३-२१-१६
स्थातुम् प्रति मुखे शक्तः स बलो अपि महा रणे |
शूरमानी न शूरः त्वम् मिथ्या आरोपित विक्रमः || ३-२१-१७
16b, 17. tvam = you; sa balaH api samyuge = with, forces, even with, on battlefield; mahaa raNe = in a crucial, war; raamasya prati mukhe sthaatum = Rama's, opposite faced [affront,] to stay; na shaktaH = not, capable; thus; shuura maanii = as valiant one, you assert; na shuuraH = valiant one, [but you are] not; mithyaa aaropita vikramaH = dubiously, imposed, valour [vainglorious]; aham buddhyaa anupashyaami = I, with my perception, I am discerning - instinctually perceiving.
"I can perceive instinctually that you are incapable of affronting Rama in a given crucial battle, even if your are with all your forces on the battlefield, and you assert yourself a valiant, but you are just vainglorious. [3-21-16b, 17]
अपयाहि जन स्थानात् त्वरितः सह बान्धवः |
जहि त्वम् समरे मूढान् यथा तु कुलपांसन || ३-२१-१८
मानुषौ तौ न शक्नोषि हन्तुम् वै राम लक्ष्मणौ |
निःसत्त्वस्य अल्प वीर्यस्य वासः ते कीदृशः तु इह || ३-२१-१९
18, 19. tvam samare jahi = you, kill, in war; maanuSau tau raama lakSmaNau = who are just humans, those two, Rama, Lakshmana; if; hantum na shaknoSi vai = to kill, [if] you are not, capable, really; niH sattvasya = with trivial, stamina; alpa viiryasya = trifling, sinews; te iha vaasaH tu kiidR^ishaH = your, here, living, but, what for; kula paamsana muuDhaan yathaa [??] = clan, blemisher, as like, a stupid fellow; tvaritaH janasthaanaat apayaahi = instantly, from Janasthaana, be gone - get out; saha baandhavaH = with, relatives [hench-demons.]
"Kill those two, Rama and Lakshmana, as they are just humans, or else, if you are incapable of doing so, really what for is your stay here in Janasthaana with your trivial stamina and trifling sinews like a stupid blemishing his clan, then get out of this Janasthaana at once along with your hench-demons. [3-21-18, 19]
The order of the verses from 16 to the last varies with versions and verbatim meanings differ. This is a kind of intimidation Shuurpanakha hurling at Khara. Besides being her brothers, Khara, Trishira and Duushana are the provincial governors of Janasthaana, nominated by Ravana. If they do not come to the rescue of Shuurpanakha, or to that matter of fact should they not eliminate intruders into Janasthaana, there is every possibility of their ouster from their posts by Ravana, because Shuurpanakha has more access to Ravana.
राम तेजो अभिभूतो हि त्वम् क्षिप्रम् विनशिष्यसि |
स हि तेजः समायुक्तो रामो दशरथात्मजः || ३-२१-२०
20. tvam = you; raama tejaH abhibhuutaH = by Rama's, resplendence, subjugated; kSipram vi nashiSyasi hi = quickly, completely evanish, indeed; dasharatha aatmajaH saH raamaH = Dasharatha's, son, he, that Rama; tejaH samaayuktaH = resplendence, possesses; hi = in effect.
"You will completely and quickly evanish, indeed, subjugated by resplendence of Rama, for that Dasharatha's son Rama possess that kind of resplendence, in effect. [3-21-20]
भ्राता च अस्य महा वीर्यो येन च अस्मि विरूपिता |
एवम् विलाप्य बहुशो राक्ष्सी प्रदरोदरी || ३-२१-२१
भ्रातुः समीपे शोक आर्ता नष्ट संज्ञा बभूव ह |
कराभ्याम् उदरम् हत्वा रुरोद भृश दुःखिता || ३-२१-२२
21, 22. yena = by whom; viruupitaa asmi = misshapen, I am; such; asya bhraata ca = his, brother, too; mahaa viiryaH = highly, vigorous one; evam = this way; shoka aartaa = by affliction, anguished; pradara udarii raakshsii = cave like, bellied, demoness; bhraatuH samiipe = in brother's, presence,; bahushaH vilaapya = variously, on bawling; karaabhyaam udaram hatvaa = with both hands, on paunch, hitting; ruroda bhR^isha duHkhitaa = cried out, loudly, in her distress; naSTa sanj~naa babhuuva ha = lost, awareness, she became - swooned, really.
"And, by whom I am misshapen that brother of Rama too is a highly vigorous one..." in this way on saying Shuurpanakha bawled variously in the presence of her brother, Khara, and then anguished by her own affliction that demoness with a cave like belly started hitting her paunch with both of her hands, and what is more, she swooned. [3-21-21, 22]
The name Khara also stands for a he-ass
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे एक विंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : June 04]
What the world says about
rama and verse
uploaded by FREE Go FTP