In this chapter Valmiki narrates various rituals undertaken by Rama the crown prince, along with his wife Seetha, on the eve of his anointment ceremony. The festivities in Ayodhya, the happiness of the people with King Dasaratha's decision to anoint Rama are also described here. Also, people from different directions arrive in Ayodhya to be there on the grand occasion.
गते पुरोहिते रामः स्नातो नियतमानसः |
सह पत्न्या विशालाक्ष्या नारायणमुपागमत् || २-६-१
1. purohite = (After) the family priest; gate = left; raamaH = Rama; snaataH = took bath; upaagamat = (and) meditated; naaraayaNam = on Narayana; niyatamaanasaH = with undistracted mind; saha = along with; vishaalaakshyaa = the wide eyed; patnyaa = wife (Seetha).
After Vasistha left, Rama took bath and meditated on Lord Narayana with undistracted mind along with his wide-eyed wife, Seetha.
प्रगृह्य शिरसा पात्रं हविषो विधिवत्तदा |
महते दैवतायाज्यं जुहाव ज्वलितानले || २-६-२
2. tadaa = then; pragR^ihya = taking; paatram = vessel; havisho = of clarified butter; sirasaa = on head; vidhivat = as per ordinance of the scriptures; juhova = (Rama) offered; mahate daivataaya = to the great lord Vishnu; aajyam = the clarified butter; jvalitaanale = (by dropping it ) into blazing fire.
Taking the vessel with clarified butter on his head as per scriptures, he offered to Lord Vishnu the clarified butter, by dropping it into the blazing fire.
शेषं च हविषस्तस्य प्राश्याशास्यात्मनः प्रियम् |
ध्यायन्नारायणं देवं स्वास्तीर्णे कुशसंस्तरे || २-६-३
वाग्यतः सह वैदेह्या भूत्वा नियतमानसः |
श्रीमत्यायतने विष्णोः शिश्ये नरवरात्मजः || २-६-४
3; 4. naravaraatmajaH = The prince Rama; aashaasya = desiring; aatmanaH = his own; priyam = good; praashya cha = ate; sesham = remainder; tasya havishaH = of that clarified butter; dhyaayan = meditating; devam = on Lord; naaraayaNam = Narayana; bhuutvaa = becoming; vaagyataH = one of restrained speech; niyatamaanasaH = with regulated mind; sishye = slept; vaidehyaa saH = along with Seetha; svaastiirNe = on properly laid; kusha saMstare = bed of Kusa grass; shriimati aayatane = in a splendid temple; vishhNoH = of Lord Vishnu.
Rama ate the remainder of clarified butter after finishing the sacrifice, which he performed for his own good, silently meditated on Lord Narayana with controlled mind and slept along with Seetha on a properly laid bed of Kusa grass in a splendid temple of Lord Vishnu. *
* The learned commentators point out that the deity referred to here is no other than Lord Ranganatha, who had been worshipped by a long line of rulers of Ayodhya as their chosen deity in a separate shrine built within the precincts of the royal palace. We are told at length in the Patala Khanda of Padma Purana how Rama so kindly handed over the image to Vibhishana; through whom it reached Srirangam (near Tiruchirapally) in South India; where it exists even to this day and is held in the highest reverence by the Vaishnavas and other devotees all over India.
एकयामावशिष्टायां रात्र्यां प्रतिविबुध्य सः |
अलञ्कारविधिं कृत्स्नं कारयामास वेश्मनः || २-६-५
5. saH = He; prativibudhya = woke up; ekayaama avashishhTaayaam = with three hours of night yet remaining; kaarayaamaasa = (and) made done; kR^itsnam = entire; alankaaravidhim = required decoration; veshmanaH = of the house .
Rama woke up three hours before dawn and caused to complete the entire decoration of the house.
तत्र शृण्वन् सुखा वाचः सूतमागधवन्दिनाम् |
पूर्वां सन्ध्यामुपासीनो जजाप यतमानसः || २-६-६
6. tatra = there; sR^iNvan = listening to; sukhaaH = gladdening; vaachaH = verses; suutamaagadha vandinaam = of professional reciters like Suta; Maagadha and Vandi; upaasiinaH = worshipping; puurvaam sandhyaam = the early sunrise(on Gayatri); jajaapa = meditated ; yata maanasaH = with undistracted mind.
Listening to the pleasing verses of professional reciters, he worshipped the early sunrise and meditated on Gayatri* with an undistracted mind.
* Gayatri is an ancient meter of twenty-four syllables as a triplet of eight syllables each (Rigveda iii-62-10: - tat savitur varenyam bhargo devasya dhimahi dhiyo yo nah prachodayat) addressed to Savitri or the Sun as generator. Gayatri personified is considered as the mother of the first three classes viz. priestly class, warrior - class and the trader-class in their capacity of twice born.
तुष्टाव प्रणतश्चैव शिरसा मधुसूदनम् |
विमलक्षौमसंवीतो वाचयामास च द्विजान् || २-६-७
7. tushhTaava = (He) praised; madhusuudhanam = Lord Vishnu; praNataH = by bowing; shirasaa = the head; vimalakshouma samviitaH = by wearing pure silk clothes; vaachayaamaasa = got valedictory text recited by; dvijaan = Brahmans.
He praised Lord Vishnu by bowing his head before Him. By wearing pure silk clothes, he got valedictory text recited by Brahmans.
तेषां पुण्याहघोषोऽध गम्भीरमधुरस्तदा |
अयोध्यां पूरयामास तूर्यघोषानुनादितः || २-६-८
8. atha = thereafter; teshaam = their; gambhiira madhura = deep and sweet; puNyaaha ghoshhaH = valedictory sound; tuuryaghoshaanunaaditaH = united with sound of musical instruments; puurayaamaasa = filled; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; tadaa = then.
Their deep and sweet chorus of the valedictory, united with the accompanying musical instruments, then filled the city of Ayodhya.
कृतोपवासं तु तदा वैदेह्या सह राघवम् |
अयोध्यानिलयः श्रुत्वा सर्वः प्रमुदितो जनः || २-६-९
9. tadaa = then; sarvaH = all; ayodhyaanilayaH janaH = the people residing in Ayodhya; pramuditaH = were delighted; shrutvaa = after hearing about; kR^itopavaasam = the fast done by; raaghavam = Rama; vaidehyaa saha = along with Seetha.
All the people residing in Ayodhya were delighted when they heard that Rama and Seetha had observed fast for the ensuing anointment ceremony.
ततः पौरजनः सर्वः श्रुत्वा रामाभिषेचनम् |
प्रभातां रजनीं दृष्ट्वा चक्रे शोभयितुं पुरीम् || २-६-१०
10. tataH = thereafter; sarvaH = all; paurajanaH = the citizens; chakre = made; shobhayitum = decoration; puriim = to the town; shrutvaa = after hearing; raama abhishhechanam = about anointment ceremony of Rama; dR^ishhTvaa = after seeing; rajaniim = the night; prabhaataam = becoming dawn.
All the citizens decorated the town for coronation function of Rama, soon before sunrise.
सिताभ्रशिखराभेषु देवतायतनेषु च |
ङ्��चतुष्पधेषु रध्यासु चैत्येष्वट्टाल केषु च || २-६-११
नानापण्यसमृद्धेषु वणिजामापणेषु च |
कुटुम्बिनां समृद्धेषु श्रीमत्सु भवनेषु च || २-६-१२
सभासु चैव सर्वासु वृक्षेष्वालक्षितेएशु च |
ध्वजाः समुच्छ्रिताश्चित्राः पताकाश्चाभवंस्तदा || २-६-१३
11; 12; 13. dhvajaaH = banners and; chitraaH = colorful; pataakaaH cha = flags; samuchchhritaaH = were hoisted; tadaa = then; devataayataneshhu = in temples; sitaabhra shikharaabheshhu = which looked shiningly like the lining of a cloud; chatushhpatheshhu = at road junctions; rathyaasu = in streets; chaityeshhu = on big trees situated in temple-compounds; aTTaalakeshhu cha = from watching towers in city gates; aapaNeshhu cha = on shops; vaNijaam = of merchants; naanaapaNya samR^iddheshhu = with a lot of saleable goods; bhavaneshhu cha = on buldings of; samR^iddheshhu shriimatsu = very rich; kuTumbinaam = family-persons; sarvaasu = on all; sabhaasu = assembly halls; aalakshiteshhu = on all-visible; vR^iksheshhu = trees.
Banners and colorful flags were hoisted on temples, which looked brilliantly like the silver lining of cloud, at road junctions, in streets, on big trees situated in temple compounds, from watching towers at city gates, on shops of wealthy merchants, on buildings of rich family persons, on all assembly halls and all visible trees.
नटनर्तकसंघानां गायकानां च गायताम् |
मनःकर्णसुखा वाचः शुश्रुवुश्च ततस्ततः || २-६-१४
14. tatastataH = from there and there; vaachaH = voices; manaH karNasukhaaH = pleasing to the minds and ears; shushruvuH = were heard; naTa nartaka saMghaanaam = from groups of actors and dancers; gaayakaanaam cha = and of singers; gaayataam = singing.
From different sides, actors were showing their talents, dancers were performing dance. Singers were singing and sweet voices were heard, pleasing the minds and ears.
रामाभिषेकयुक्ताश्च कथाश्चक्रुर्मिथो जनाः |
रामाभिषेके संप्रप्ते चत्वरेषु गृहेषु च || २-६-१५
15. raamaabhishheke = (with) Rama's anointment ceremony; sampraapte = approaching; janaaH = people; chakruH = made; mithaH = mutual; kathaaH = conversations; raamaabhishhekayuktaaH = about Rama's anointment ceremony; chatvareshhu = in road junctions; gR^iheshhu cha = and in houses.
With Rama's anointment ceremony approaching, people were engaged in mutual conversations in their houses and at road junctions, about the ceremony.
बाला अपि क्रीडमाना गृ हद्वारेषु संघशः |
रामाभिषवसंयुक्ताश्चक्रुरेवं मिथः कथाः || २-६-१६
16. evam = thus; baalaaH api = even children; kreeDamaanaaH = playing; saMghashaH = in groups; gR^ihadvaareshhu = before gateways of houses; chakruH = made; kathaaH = narrations; raamaabhishhava saMyuktaaH = concerning Rama's anointment ceremony; mithaH = mutually.
Even children playing together before gateways of houses were telling each other, narratives of Rama's anointment ceremony.
कृतपुष्पोपहारश्च धूपगन्धाधिवासितः |
राजमार्गः कृतः श्रीमान् पौरै रामाभिषेचने || २-६-१७
17. pauraiH = citizens; kR^itaH = made; raajamaargaH = king's road; shriimaan = splendid; kR^ita pushhpopahaarashcha = by making a sprinkle of flowers; dhuupagandhaadhivaasitaH = and by making it good smelling from incense and perfumes; raamaabhishhechane = on the occasion of Rama's anointment ceremony.
The citizens made king's road splendid, by sprinkling flowers on it and by making it good smelling with burning of incense and perfumes, on the occasion of Rama's anointment ceremony.
प्रकाशकरणार्धं च निशागमनशञ्कया |
दीपवृक्षां स्तथाचक्रु रनुर्थ्यसु सर्वशः || २-६-१८
18. tathaa = and; anu = after (such decoration); nishaagamana shankayaa = on doubt of arrival of night; chakruH = (they) arranged; deepavR^ikshaan = lamps in the shape of trees; sarvaH rathyaasu = in all the streets; prakaashakaraNaartham = for the purpose of illumination.
On a doubt of approach of night on completion of the ceremony, they arranged lamps in the shape of trees to illuminate all the streets.
अलङ्कारं पुरस्त्यवं कृत्वा तत्पुरवासिनः |
आकाङ्क्षमाणा रामस्य यौवराज्याभिषेचनम् || २-६-१९
समेत्य संघशः सर्वे चत्वरेषु सभासु च |
कथयन्तो मिथस्तत्र प्रशशंसुर्जनाधिपम् || २-६-२०
19; 20. sarve = all; tat puravaasinaH = the residents of that city; evam = thus; kR^itvaa = having made; alaN^kaaraM = decoration; purasya = of the city; aakaaN^kshamaaNaaH = desiring; raamasya = Rama's; yauvaraajyaabhishhechanam = anointment as prince; sanghashaH = gathered; sametya = together; chatvareshhu = in road junctions; sabhaasucha = and in assembly halls; mithaH = mutually; kathayantaH = talking about it; tatra = there; prashashamsuH = praised; janaadhipam = king Dasaratha.
All the citizens residing in Ayodhya, having thus decorated the city desiring Rama's coronation, gathered together in groups at road junctions and in assembly halls, mutually talking about this matter there and praising king Dasaratha.
अहोओ महात्मा राजायमिक्ष्वाकुकुलनन्दनः |
ज्ञात्वा यो वृद्ध मात्मानं रामं राज्येऽभिषेक्ष्यति || २-६-२१
21. aho = O!; yaH = which king; jJNaatvaa = having known; aatmaanaam = himself; vR^iddham = as aged; abhishhekshyati = is going to anoint; raamam = Rama; raajye = for kingdom; ayam = (such) this; raajaa = king Dasaratha; ikshvaaku kulanandanaH = who delights Ikshvaaku dynasty; mahaatmaa = has a great mind.
"O! This king Dasaratha, who delights Ikshvaaku dynasty, having known himself that he became aged, is going to anoint Rama for the kingdom. What a great man he is!"
सर्वेऽप्यनुगृहीताः स्म यन्नो रामो महीपतिः |
चिराय भविता गोप्ता दृष्टलोकपरावरः || २-६-२२
22. yat = because; raamaH = Rama; dR^ishhTa loka paraavaraH = has seen the totality of the world ; mahiipatiH = he as king; bhavitaa = is going to become; goptaa = protector; naH = to us; chiraaya = for a long period; sarve api = all of us; anugR^ihiitaaH sma = have become gifted people.
"Rama; who has seen the totality of the world is going to become our protector for long. We have all been blessed by king Dasaratha."
आनुद्धतमना विद्वान् धर्मात्मा भ्रातृवत्सलः |
यधा च भ्रातृषु स्निग्धस्तथास्मास्वपि राघवः || २-६-२३
23. raamaH = Rama; aanuddhata manaaH = who has no arrogance in his mind; vidvaan = learned man; dharmaatmaa = righteous man; bhraatR^ivatsalaH = who has love towards brothers; yathaa = so; snigdhaH = compassionate person; tathaa = as; asmaasvapi = also to us.
"Rama is modest, knowledgeable and righteous. He is as compassionate to us as to his brothers."
चिरं जीवतु धर्मात्मा राजा दशरथोऽनघः |
यत्प्रसादेनाभिषिक्तं रामं द्रक्ष्यामहे वयम् || २-६-२४
24. yatprasaadena = by whose blessing; drakshyaamahe = we are seeing; raamam = Rama; abhishhiktam = being anointed; dasharathaH raajaa = such king Dasaratha; dharmaatmaa = who is righteous; anaghaH = who is faultless; jeevatu = let him live; chiram = for long period.
"Let the faultless and righteous king Dasaratha live long! Due to his blessings, we are going to see Rama as being anointed for the kingdom."
एवंविधं कथयतां पौराणां शुश्रुवुस्तदा |
दिग्भ्योऽपि श्रुतवृत्तान्ताः प्राप्ताजानपदा नराः || २-६-२५
25. jaanapadaaH = villagers; praaptaa = who came; digbhyaH api = from different directions also; shR^ita vR^ittaantaaH = after hearing the news; tadaa = then; shushruvuH = listened to; pauraaNaam = citizens; evam vidham = thus; kathayataam = narrating.
The villagers, who came from different directions after hearing the news of coronation ceremony of Rama, listened to the narration of the citizens of Ayodhya.
ते तु दिग्भ्यः पुरीं प्राप्ता द्रष्टुं रामाभिषेचनम् |
रामस्य पूरयामासुः पुरीं जानपदा जनाः || २-६-२६
26. raamasya = Rama's; puriim = city of Ayodhya; puurayaamasuH = was filled with; te = those; janaaH = people; jaanapadaaH = residing in villages; praaptaaH = who came; digbhyaH = from various directions; puram = to the city; drashhTum = to see; raamaabhishhechanam = Rama's anointment ceremony.
The city of Ayodhya was filled with villagers who came from different directions to see the anointment ceremony of Rama.
जनौघै स्तैर्विसर्पद्भिः शुश्रुवे तत्र निस्वनः |
पर्वसूदीर्णवेगस्य सागरस्येव निस्वनः || २-६-२७
27. nisvanaH = The noise; shushruve = was heard; taiH janaughaiH = by groups of those people; visarpadbhiH = while moving; tatra = there; nisvanaH iva = as the roaring ; udiirNa vegasya saagarasya = of an impetuous ocean; parvasu = on full moon days.
The noise in the city was heard by the groups of those people, while moving here and there, as the roaring of an impetuous ocean on full moon days.
ततस्तदिन्द्रक्षयसन्निभं पुरं |
दिदृक्षुभिर्जानपदै रुपागतैः |
समन्ततः सस्वनमाकुलं बभौ |
समुद्रयादोभि रिवार्णवोदकम् || २-६-२८
28. tat = that; puram = city of Ayodhya; indrakshaya sannibham = equal to the residence of Indra (Amaravati);tataH = then; aakulam = disturbed; sasvanam = with sound; samantataH = all over; jaanapadaiH = by villagers; upaagataiH = who came; didR^ikshubhiH = with desire to see; babhau = shone; aarNavodakam = like ocean water; samudrayaadobhiH = filled with sea-animals.
That city of Ayodhya equal to the residence of the celestial god Indra, disturbed with the sound being made all over by the villagers who came with the desire to see the ceremony, shone like a roaring ocean filled with sea animals.
- - -
|| इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्यकाण्डे षष्ठः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy[Revised: May 05]