Sitting on the branch of a Simshapa tree, Hanuma began to narrate in human language the story of Rama from the time he was born till his sending Hanuma to Lanka in search of Seetha. Hearing the narration of Hanuman, Seetha was overjoyed and finds Hanuma perched on Simshapa tree.
एवम् बहु विधाम् चिन्ताम् चिन्तयित्व महाकपिः |
संश्रवे मधुरम् वाक्यम् वैदेह्या व्याजहार ह || ५-३१-१
1. chintayitvaa = thinking; evam = thus; bahuvidhaam = many kinds of; chintaam = thought; mahaakapiH = Hanuman; vyaajahaaraH = spoke (the following) madhuram = sweet; vaakyaam = words; samshrave = within the hearing; vaidehyaaH = of Seetha.
Thus reflecting on many kinds of thought, Hanuma spoke the following sweet words within the hearing range of Seetha.
राजा दशरथो नाम रथ कुन्जर वाजिनाम् |
पुण्य शीलो महाकीर्तिः ऋजुः आसीन् महायशाः || ५-३१-२
2. raajaa = (There was) a king; dasharathe naama = named Dasaratha; mahaayashaaH = who was very glorious; ikSvaakuuNaam = among kings belonging to Ikshvaku dynasty; puNya shiilaH = and had virtuous disposition; ratha kuN^jara vaajimaan = he owned chariots; elephants = and horses; mahaa kiirtiH = and was very famous.
"There was a king named Dasaratha who was very glorious among the kings of Ikshvaku dynasty and had a virtuous disposition. He owned chariots, elephants and horses, becoming very famous.
राजर्षीणां गुणश्रेष्ठस्तपसा चर्षिभिः समः |
चक्र वर्ति कुले जातः पुरम् दर समो बले || ५-३१-३
3. (He was) guNashreSThaH = excellent in virtues; raajarSiiNaam = among royal sages; samaH = equal to; R^iSibhiH = the (seven) sages; tapasaa = in austerity; jaataH = born; chakravarti kule = in the lineage of emperors; purandara samaH = and was equivalent to Indra; bale = in prowess.
"He was excellent in virtues among royal sages. He was equal to the seven sages in austerity. He was born in the lineage of emperors and was equivalent to Indra in prowess."
अहिंसा रतिः अक्षुद्रो घृणी सत्य पराक्रमः |
मुख्यः च इक्ष्वाकु वंशस्य लक्ष्मीवाम्ल् लक्ष्मि वर्धनः || ५-३१-४
4. (He was) ahinsaa ratiH = fond of harmlessness; akSudraH = not vulgar; ghR^iNii = compassionate; satya paraakramaH = truly mighty; mukhyashcha = eminent; ikSvaaku vamshashcha = in Ikshvaku race; lakSmiivaan = endowed of prosperity; lakSmivardhanah = and causing to increase prosperity.
"He was keen on harmlessness. He was not vulgar. He was compassionate. He was truly mighty. He was an eminent king in Ikshvaku race. He was endowed with prosperity and was causing to increase prosperity."
पार्थिव व्यञ्जनैः युक्तः पृथु श्रीः पार्थिव ऋषभः |
पृथिव्याम् चतुः अन्तयाम् विश्रुतः सुखदः सुखी || ५-३१-५
5. (He was) yuktaH = endowed; paarthiva vyaNjanaiH = with royal characteristics; pR^ithushrii = was highly prosperous; paarthivarSabhaH = excellent among kings; vishrutaH = famous; pR^ithivyaam = on earth; chaturantaayaam = with four borders; sukhadaH = gave happiness; sukhii = and was happy himself.
"The king Dasaratha was endowed with royal characteristics, highly prosperous, excellent among kings and highly prosperous, excellent among kings and famous on earth with its four borders. He was happy man and gave happiness to others."
तस्य पुत्रः प्रियो ज्येष्ठः तारा अधिप निभ आननः |
रामो नाम विशेषज्ञः श्रेष्ठः सर्व धनुष्मताम् || ५-३१-६
6. tasya = to that Dasaratha; jyeSTha putraH = (there was) an eldest son; raamo naama = named Rama priyaH = who was beloved; taaraadhipa nibhaananaH = having a face like a moon; visheSaJNaH = knowing distinctions (in humans and others); shreSThaH = and excellent; sarvadhanuSmataam = among all the wielders of the bow.
"There was an eldest son named Rama to that Dasaratha. Rama was beloved having a moon-like face. He, knows the distinctions among humans and others. He was excellent among all the wielders of the bow."
रक्षिता स्वस्य वृत्तस्य स्व जनस्य अपि रक्षिता |
रक्षिता जीव लोकस्य धर्मस्य च परम् तपः || ५-३१-७
7. paramtapaH = (that Rama) who torments the enemies; rakSitaa = is a protector; svasya = his own; vR^ittasya = mode of life; rakSitaa = a protector; svajanasya = of his own people; rakSitaa = a protector; jiiva lokasya = of every living being; rakSitaa = and a protector; dharmatyacha = of righteousness.
"That Rama who annihilates enemies, is a protector of his own mode of life, a protector of his own people, a protector of every living being and a protector of righteousness."
तस्य सत्य अभिसंधस्य वृद्धस्य वचनात् पितुः |
सभार्यः सह च भ्रात्रा वीरः प्रव्रजितो वनम् || ५-३१-८
8. vachanaat = by the words; tasya = of that Dasaratha; vR^iddhesayaa = his old; pituH = father; satyaabhisandhasya = a true speaking man; viiraH = that Rama; a brave man; a brave man; pravraajitaH = went on exile; vanam = to a forest; sa bhaaryaH = along with his wife; sahacha bhraatraa = and together with his brother.
"By the command of that Dasaratha, his old father and true-speaking man, that Rama a brave man went on exile to a forest along with his wife and brother."
तेन तत्र महाअरण्ये मृगयाम् परिधावता |
राक्षसा निहताः शूरा बहवः कामरूपिणः || ५-३१-९
9. paridhaavataa mR^igayaam = while hunting; tatra mahaaraNye = in that great forest; baharaH = many; raakSasaaH = demons; shuuraaH = who were valiant; kaama ruupiNaH = and who could assume any form at will; nihataaH = were killed; tena = by that Rama.
"While hunting in that forest, that Rama killed many demons who were valiant and who could assume any form at will."
जन स्थान वधम् श्रुत्वा हतौ च खर दूषणौ |
ततः तु अमर्ष अपहृता जानकी रावणेन तु || ५-३१-१०
वञ्चयित्वा वने रामं मृगरूपेण मायया |
10. tataH = thereafter; shrutvaa = hearing; jana sthaana vadham = about the killing of demons in Janasthana a part of Dandaka forest; khara duuSaNau cha = Khara and Dushana the demons; hatau = having been killed; jaanakii = Seetha; amarSaapahR^itaa = was taken away with anger; raavaNena = by Ravana; vaNchayitvaa = by deceiving; mR^iga rupeNa = in the guise of a deer; raaman = Rama; vane = in the forest; maayayaa = and by creating illusion.
"Thereafter, hearing about the killing of demons in Janasthana, a part of Dandaka forest, in addition to killing of Khara and Dushana the demons, the enraged Ravana took away, Seetha, by deceiving Rama in creating an illusive image of deer in the forest."
स मार्गमाणस्ताम् देवीम् रामः सीतामन्न्दिताम् || ५-३१-११
आससाद वने मित्रम् सुग्रीवम् नाम वानरम् |
11. tataH = thereafter; saH raamaH = that Rama parapuramjayaH = the conqueror of enemys cities; mahaabalaH = and a very stron man; hatvaa = having killed; vaalinam = Vali; praayachchhat = gave away; tat = that; kapiraajyam = kingdom of monkeys; sugriivasya = to Sugreeva.
"Searching for Seetha the irreproachable lady, that Rama met a monkey called Sugreeva as his friend in the forest."
ततः स वालिनम् ह्त्वा रामः परपुरम्जयः || ५-३१-१२
प्रायच्छत्कपिराज्यम् तत्सुग्रीवाय महाबलः |
12. tataH = thereafter; saH raamaH = that Rama; parapuramjayaH = the conqueror of enemy's cities; mahaabalaH = and a very strong man; hatvaa = having killed; vaalinam = Vali; praayachchhat = gave away; tat = that; kapiraajyam = kingdom of monkeys; sugriivasya = to Sugreeva.
"Thereafter, Rama the conqueror of enemy's cities and very strong man, killed Vali and gave away that kingdom of monkeys to Sugreeva."
सुग्रीवेणापि संदिष्टा हरयः कामरूपिणः || ५-३१-१३
दिक्षु सर्वासु ताम् देवीम् विचिन्न्वन्ति सहस्रशः |
13. samdiSTaaH = sent; sugriiveNa = by Sugreeva; sahasrashaH = thousands of; harayaH = monkeys; kaamaruupiNaH = capable of assuming any form at their will; vichinvanti = are searching; taam deviim = that lady; Seetha; sarvaasu dikSu = in all quarters.
"As commanded and sent by Sugreeva, thousands of monkeys capable of assuming form at their will, are searching for that lady Seetha in all quarters of the earth."
अहम् सम्पातिवचनाच्छतयोजनमायतम् || ५-३१-१४
अस्या हेतोर्विशालाक्ष्याः सागरं वेगवान् प्लुतः |
14. sampaati vachanaat = by the words of Sampati; aham = I; vegavaan = a swift monkey; plutaH = crossed; saagaram = the ocean; aayatam = having a length; shata yojanam = of one hundred Yojanas; asyaaH vishalaakSyaaH hetoH = for the sake of this broad eyed Seetha.
"By the words of Sampati, I a swift monkey crossed the ocean having a length of one hundred yojanas for the sake of this broad eyed Seetha."
यथा रूपाम् यथा वर्णाम् यथा लक्ष्मीम् विनिश्चिताम् || ५-३१-१५
अश्रौषम् राघवस्य अहम् सा इयम् आसादिता मया |
15. iyam = this Seetha; asaaditaa = has been found; mayaa = by me; yathaa ruupaam = according to the comeliness; yathaa varNaam = according to the complexion; yathaa lakSmavatiimcha = and according to the bodily marks; saa = the same; aham = I; taam = that Seetha; ashrauSam- had heard; raaghavasya = from Rama.
"This Seetha has been found by me according to the same comeliness, complexion and the bodily marks as I had heard from Rama."
विरराम एवम् उक्त्वा असौ वाचम् वानर पुम्गवः || ५-३१-१६
जानकी च अपि तत् श्रुत्वा विस्मयम् परमम् गता |
16. uktvaa = speaking; vaacham = the words; evam = thus; asau = that; vaanarapuNgavaH = Hanuma; the excellent among the monkeys; viraraama = kept quiet; shrutvaa = hearing; tat = those words; jaanakiicha api = Seetha also; aagataa = got; param = a great; vismayam = surprise.
Having spoken these words, Hanuma kept quiet. Hearing those words, Seetha too got a great surprise.
ततः सा वक्र केश अन्ता सुकेशी केश सम्वृतम् || ५-३१-१७
उन्नम्य वदनम् भीरुः शिंशपा वृक्षम् ऐक्षत |
17. tataH = then; saa = that Seetha; klesha samvR^ita chetanaa = whose conciousness was enshrouded by affliction; vakra keshaantaa = whose hair-ends were curved; bhiiruH = and who was of fearful nature; unnamya = lifted; vadanam = her face; aikSata = and looked towards; shimsupaavR^ikSam = shimshupa tree.
Thereafter, that Seetha whose consciousness was enshrouded by affliction, whose hair-ends were curved and who was of a fearful nature, lifted her face and looked towards Shimshupa tree.
निशम्य सीता वचनम् कपेश्च |
दिशश्च सर्वाः प्रदिशश्च वीक्ष्य |
स्वयम् प्रहर्षं परमं जगाम |
सर्वात्मना राममनुस्मरन्ती || ५-३१-१८
18. nishamya = heaving; kapaH = Hanuma's; vachanam = words; viikSya = and seeing; sarvaaH = all; dishashcha = quarters; pradishashcha = and sub-quarters; siitaa = Seetha; anusmarantii = was recollecting; raamam = Rama; sarvaatmanaa = in all ways; jagaama = and obtained; paramam = a great; praharSam = joy.
Hearing Hanuma's words and looking at all quarters and sub-quarters, Seetha was recollecting Rama in all ways and obtained a great joy.
सा तिर्यग् ऊर्ध्वम् च तथा अपि अधस्तान् |
निरीक्षमाणा तम् अचिन्त्य बुद्धिम् |
ददर्श पिन्ग अधिपतेः अमात्यम् |
वात आत्मजम् सूर्यम् इव उदयस्थम् || ५-३१-१९
19. niriikSamaaNaa = looking at; tiryak = sides; uurdhavam cha = up; tathaapi = and; adhastaat = down; saa = that Seetha; dadarsha = saw; vaataatmajam = that Hanuman; of wind-God the sun; achintya buddhim = having an unimaginable intelligence; amaatyam = the minister; piNgaadhipate = of Sugreeva; suuryamiva = resembling the sun; udayastham = behind an eastern mountain.
Looking at sides, up and down, that Seetha saw that Hanuman, the sun of wind-god, having an unimaginable intelligence, the minister of Sugreeva and looking like the sun behind an eastern mountain.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे एकत्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy