Rama sends Vibhishana to bring Seetha to his presence. Vibhishana brings Seetha to Rama's presence. Seetha casts her looks on the moon-like face of Rama, her beloved husband.
तमुवाच महाप्रज्ञमभिगम्य प्लवङ्गमः |
रामं वचनमर्थज्ञो वरं सर्वधनुष्मताम् || ६-११४-१
1. saH mahaapraajJNaH = that highly intelligent; plavangamaH = Hanuma; abhivaadya = having offered his salutation; uvaacha = spoke; tam raamam = to that Rama; varam sarvadhanuShmataam = who was excellent among all the wielders of the bow; kamala patraakSham = and whose eyes resembled the louts-petals.
Having offered his salutation to that Rama, who was excellent among all the wielders of the bow and whose eyes resembled the lotus-petals, that highly intelligent Hanuma spoke to him as follows:
यन्निमित्तोऽयमारम्भः कर्मणां च फलोदयः |
तां देवीं शोकसन्तप्तां मैथिलीं द्रष्टुमर्हसि || ६-११४-२
2. arhasi = you ought; draShTum = to see; taam deviim = that divine lady; shoka samtaptaam = who is consumed by grief; yannimittaH = for whose sake; ayam = this; aarambhaH = undertaking; karmaNaam = of acts (was done); yaH = and which; phalodayaH = has borne fruit.
"You ought to see Seetha that divine lady who is consumed by grief, for whose sake this course of actions was undertaken and which has (now) borne fruit."
सा हि शोकसमाविष्टा बाष्पपर्याकुलेक्षणा |
मैथिली विजयं श्रुत्वा तव हर्षमुपागमत् || ६-११४-३
3. shrutvaa = hearing; vijayam = the news of your victory; saa maithilii = that Seetha; shoka samaaviShTaa = stricken as she was with grief; abhikaaNkShati = is (now) longing; draShTum = to see; tvaam = you; baaShpa paryaakulekShaNaa = her eyes filled with tears of joy.
"Hearing the news of your victory, that Seetha, stricken as she was with grief, is now longing to see you, her eyes filled with tears of joy."
पूर्वकात्प्रत्ययाच्चाहमुक्तो विश्वस्तया तया |
भर्तारं द्रष्टुमिच्छामि कृतार्थं सहलक्ष्मणम् || ६-११४-४
4. tayaa = by her; vishvastayaa = who has trust (in me); pratyayaat = because of confidence which had been inspired by me; puurvakaat = on a former occasion; aham = I; uktaH = was spoken (as follows); 'ichchhaami = I desire; draShTum = to see; bhartaaram = my husband; kR^itaartham = who has accomplished his purpose; saha lakShmaNam = together with Lakshmana.
"By her, who has trust in me because of confidence which has trust in me because of confidence which had been inspired me on a former occasion, I was spoken as follows: 'I desire to see my husband, who has accomplished his purpose, together with Lakshmana.'"
एवमुक्तो हनुमता रामो धर्मभृतां वरः |
अगच्छत्सहसा ध्यानमासीद्बाष्पपरिप्लुतः || ६-११४-५
5. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; hanumataa = by Hanuma; raamaH = Rama; varaH = who was the foremost; dharmabhR^itaam = among the supporters of righteousness; iiShat baaShpa pariplutaH = was shightly overwhelmed with tears; sahasaa = and suddenly; aagachchhat dhyaanam = became a bit thoughtful.
Hearing Hanuma's words, Rama who was the foremost among the supporters of righteousness, was a little over whelmed with tears and suddenly became a bit thoughtful.
दीर्घमुष्णं च निश्वस्य मेदिनीम् अवलोकयन् |
उवाच मेघसङ्काशं विभीषणमुपस्थितम् || ६-११४-६
6. viniH shvasya diirgham uShNam = Drawing a deep and warm breath; avalokayam = and casting his looks; jagatiim = on the ground; uvaacha = he spoke (as follows); vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana; meghasamkaasham = who closely resembled a cloud in hue; upasthitan = and who was standing nearby.
Drawing a deep and warm breath and casting his looks on the ground, he spoke (as follows) to Vibhishana, who closely resembled a cloud in hue and who was standing nearby.
दिव्याङ्गरागां वैदेहीं दिव्याभरणभूषिताम् |
इह सीतां शिरःस्नातामुपस्थापय माचिरम् || ६-११४-७
7. upasthaapaya = bring; iha = here; siitaam = Seetha; shiraH snaanam = after she has bathed her head; divyaaN^garaagaam = has been anointed with charming cosmetics; divyaabharaNa bhuuShitaam = and adorned with beautiful jewels; maa chiram = let there be no delay.
"Bring here Seetha, after she has bathed her head, has been anointed with charming cosmetics and adorned with beautiful jewels. Let there be no delay."
एवमुक्तस्तु रामेण त्वरमाणो विभीषणः |
प्रविश्यान्तःपुरं सीतां स्त्रीभिः स्वाभिरचोदयत् || ६-११४-८
8. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raamena = by Rama; vibhiiShaNam = Vibhishana; pravishya = entering; antaHpuram = the gyaecium; tvaramaaNaH = in haste; achodayat = communicated his presence; siitaam = to Seetha; svaabhiH striibhiH = through his own women.
Hearing the words of Rama, Vibhishana, after entering the gynaecium in haste, communicated his presence to Seetha, through his own women.
ततः सीतां महाभागां दृष्ट्वोवाच विभीषणः |
मूर्ध्नि बद्धाञ्जलिः श्रीमान्विनीतो राक्षसेश्वरः || ६-११४-९
9. tataH = then; shriimaan = the glorious; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; raakShaseshvaraH = the king of demons; dR^iShTvaa = after seeing; maahaabhaagaam = the highly fortunate; siitaam = Seetha; baddhaaN^jaliH = with his palms joined; muurdhni = over his head; viniitaH = humbly; uvaacha = spoke (as follows):
Then, the glorious Vibhishana the king of demons, after seeing the highly fortunate Seetha, with his palms joined over his head, humbly spoke to her as follows:
दिव्याङ्गरागा वैदेही दिव्याभरणभूषिता |
यानमारोह भद्रं ते भर्ता त्वां द्रष्टुमिच्छति || ६-११४-१०
10. vaidehi = O Seetha!; divyaaNgaraagaaH = anointed with charming cosmetics; divyaabharaNa bhuuShitaaH = and adorned with beautiful jewels; bhadram te = if you please; aaroha = mount; yaanam = on the vehicle; bhartaa = your husband; ichchhati = wants; draShTum = to see; tvaam = you.
"O Seetha! Anointed with charming cosmetics and adorned with beautiful jewels if you please, mount on the vehicle. Your husband wants to see you."
एवमुक्ता तु वैदेही प्रत्युवाच विभीषणम् |
अस्नाता द्रष्टुमिच्छामि भर्तारं राक्षसाधिप || ६-११४-११
11. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; vaidehii = Seetha; pratyuvaacha = replied; vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana (as follows): raakShaseshvara = O king of demons!; ichchhaami = I wish; draShTum = to see; bhartaaram = my husband; asnaatvaa = even without taking the bath.
Hearing the words of Vibhishana, replied as follows: "O king of demons! I wish to see my husband, even without taking my bath."
तस्यास्तद्वचनं श्रुत्वा प्रत्युवाच विभीषणः |
यथाहं रामो भर्ता ते तत्तथा कर्तुमर्हसि || ६-११४-१२
12. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; tasyaaH = of Seetha; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; pratyuvaacha = replied; arhasi = you ought; kartum = to do; yathaa tathaa = in whatever manner; raamaH = Rama; te bhartaa = your husband; aaha = mentioned; tat = that.
Hearing those words of Seetha, Vibhishana replied as follows: "You ought to do the bidding of Rama, your husband, as he has enjoined you to do."
तस्य तद्वचनं श्रुत्वा मैथिली भ्रातृदेवता |
भर्तृभक्तिव्रता साध्वी तथेति प्रत्यभाषत || ६-११४-१३
13. shrutvaa = hearing; tat rachanam = those words; tasya = of Vibhishana; saadhvii = the virtuous; maithilii = Seetha; patidevataa = regarding her husband as a divinity; vR^itaa = endowed as she was; bhartR^i bhaktyaa = with a devotion to her husband; pratyabhaaShata = replied; tatheti = "so it be!"
Hearing those words of Vibhishana, the virtuous Seetha, regarding her husband as a divinity, endowed as she was with a devotion to her husband, said in reply, "So t be!"
ततः सीतां शिरःस्नातां युवतीभिरलङ्कृताम् |
महार्हाभरणोपेतां महार्हाम्बरधारिणीम् || ६-११४-१४
आरोप्य शिबिकां दीप्तां परार्ध्याम्बरसंवृताम् |
रक्षोभिर्बहुभिर्गुप्तामाजहार विभीषणः || ६-११४-१५
14-15. tataH = then; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; aajahaara = brought; siitaam aaropya = prevailing upon Seetha to ascend; diiptaam shibikaam = a shining palanquin; paraarghyaambara samvR^itaam = covered with an exceedingly valuable cloth; guptaam = and guarded; bahubhiH raakShasaiH = by numerous demons; shiraasnaataam = after she has bathed her head; samyuktaam pratikarmaNaa = after making use of toilet and other cleansing facilities; mahaarhaambaradhaaraNiim = had put on very costly robes; mahaarhaabharaNopetaam = and had been adorned with exceedingly valuable jewels.
Prevailing upon Seetha to ascend a shining palanquin, covered with an exceedingly valuable cloth and guarded by numerous demons, after she had bathed her head and cleansed her body, had put on costly robes and had been adorned with exceedingly valuable jewels, Vibhishana then brought her to the presence of Rama.
सोऽभिगम्य महात्मानं ज्ञात्वाभिध्यानमास्थितम् |
प्रणतश्च प्रहृष्टश्च प्राप्तां सीतां न्यवेदयत् || ६-११४-१६
16. abhigamya = approaching; mahaatmaanam = the great-souled Rama; aasthitam = who was absorbed in thought; jJNaataapi = even after coming to know that Seetha had arrived; saH = vibhishana; praNataH cha = offered his obeisance; prahR^iShTashcha = and with full of great joy; nyavedayat = announced to him; siitaam praaptaam = that Seetha had arrived.
Approaching the great-souled Rama, who was absorbed in thought, even after coming to know that Seetha had arrived, Vibhishana offered his obeisance and with full of great joy, announced to him that Seetha had arrived.
तामागतामुपश्रुत्य रक्षोगृहचिरोषिताम् |
हर्षो दैन्यं च रोषश्च त्रयं राघवमाविशत् || ६-११४-१७
17. upashrutya = hearing; taam aagataam = that Seetha had arrived; rakShogR^iha chiroShitaam = after living long in the abode of a demon; raaghavam = Rama; aavishat = was filled; harShaH = with jo; roShashcha = indignation; dianyam = and felt miserable (too); trayam = all the three (at once).
Hearing that Seetha had arrived after living long in the abode of a demon, Rama was filled with joy, indignation and felt miserable too all the three emotions at the same time.
ततः पार्श्वगतं दृष्ट्वा सविमर्शं विचारयन् |
विभीषणमिदं वाक्यमहृष्टो राघवोऽब्रवीत् || ६-११४-१८
18. ahR^iShTaH = feeling unhappy; vichaarayan = on considering; savimarsham = with deep thought; (the question of Seetha having come in a palanquin; all the way); raaghavaH = Rama; tataH = then; abraviit = spoke; idam vachaH = the following words; dR^iShTvaa = looking at; vibhiiShaNam = Vibhishana; paarshvagatam = who was by his side.
Feeling unhappy on considering with deep thought, the question of Seetha having come in a palanquin, all the way, Rama then spoke the following words, looking at Vibhishana who was beside him.
राक्षसाधिपते सौम्य नित्यं मद्विजये रत |
वैदेही संनिकर्षं मे शीघ्रं समुपगच्छतु || ६-११४-१९
19. saumya raakShasaadhipate = O the gentle king of demons; nityam rata = who is forever intent; madvijaya = on my victory! vaidehii = (Let) Seetha; samupagachchhatu = duly seek; me samnikaSham = my presence; shiighram = quickly.
"O the gently king of demons, who is forever intent on my victory! Let Seetha duly seek my presence quickly."
स तद्वचनमाज्ञाय राघवस्य विभीषणः |
तूर्णमुत्सारणे यत्नं कारयामास सर्वतः || ६-११४-२०
20. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; tasya raaghavasya = of that Rama; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; dharmavit = who knew what was right; utsaaraNam kaarayaamaasa = began to disperse the people; tatra = there; tuuNam = quickly.
Hearing those words of that Rama, Vibhishana, who knew what was right, began to disperse the crowd there quickly.
कञ्चुकोष्णीषिणस्तत्र वेत्रझर्झरपाणयः |
उत्सारयन्तः पुरुषाः समन्तात्परिचक्रमुः || ६-११४-२१
21. kaN^chakoShNiiShiNaH = demons wearing jackets and turbans; vetrajarjana paaNayaH = their hands carrying staffs which made a jingling sound; samantaat parichakramuH = walked all round; tatra = there; utsaarayantaH = dispersing; taan = those; yodhaan = warriors.
Demons wearing jackets and turbans, their hands carrying staffs which made a jingling sound, walked there all round, dispersing those warriors.
ऋक्षाणां वानराणां च राक्षसानां च सर्वतः |
वृन्दान्युत्सार्यमाणानि दूरमुत्ससृजुस्ततः || ६-११४-२२
22. vR^indaani = crowds; R^ikShaaNaam = of bears; vaanaraaNaam cha = monkeys; raakShasaanaam cha = and demons; utsaarya maaNaani = dispersed; sarvashaH = on all sides; utthasthuH = bounced; duuram = for a distance; antataH = from their nearness (to the palanquin).
Crowds of bears, monkeys and demons, dispersed on all sides, bounced for a distance, from their nearness to the palanquin.
तेषामुत्सार्यमाणानां सर्वेषां ध्वनिरुत्थितः |
वायुनोद्वर्तमानस्य सागरस्येव निस्वनः || ६-११४-२३
23. teShaam utsaaryamaaNaanaam = while they were being dispersed (in that way); abhuut = there was; sumahaan svanaH = a very great sound; saagarasya niHsvanaH iva = resembling the roar of sea; uddhuuyamaanasya = lashed; vaayunaa = by a storm.
While those warriors were being driven away, there was a very great sound, resembling the roar of a sea, lashed by a storm.
उत्सार्यमाणांस्तान्दृष्ट्वा समन्ताज्जातसम्भ्रमान् |
दाक्षिण्यात्तदमर्षाच्च वारयामास राघवः || ६-११४-२४
24. dR^iShTyaa = seeing; utsaaryamaaNaan = them being dispersed on all sides; jaatasambhramaan = excited; raamaH = Rama; atha = then; vaarayaamaasa = stopped; tat = it; daakShiNyaat = out of kindness (for those who were being driven away); amarShaat = and resentment (at the behaviour of the demons who were dispersing them).
Seeing them being dispersed on all sides excited, Rama then stopped that operation of those who were dispersing them, out of kindness (for those who were being driven away) and resentment (at the behaviour of the demons who were dispersing them).
संरब्धश्चाब्रवीद्रामश्चक्षुषा प्रदहन्निव |
विभीषणं महाप्राज्ञं सोपालम्भमिदं वचः || ६-११४-२५
25. raamaH = Rama; samrabdhaH cha = enraged as he was; chakShuShaa pradahanniva = with his looks as though burning; abraviit = spoke idam vachaH = the follwoing words; sopaalambham = with a reproach; mahaapraajJNam vibhiiShaNam = to the highly intelligent Vibhishana.
The enraged Rama, consuming the demons with his looks as it were, Rama spoke the following reproaching words to the highly intelligent Vibhishana
किमर्थं मामनादृत्य कृश्यतेऽयं त्वया जनः |
निवर्तयैनमुद्योगं जनोऽयं स्वजनो मम || ६-११४-२६
26. kimartham = why; ayam janaH = these people; klishyate = are harassed; tvayaa = by you; anaadR^itya = disregarding; maam = me?; nivartaya = stop; udyogam = this exertion; ayam = these; janaH = people; svajanaH = are my own people.
"Why disregarding me, are these people harassed by you? Stop this exertion. They are my own people."
न गृहाणि न वस्त्राणि न प्राकारास्तिरस्क्रियाः |
नेदृशा राजसत्कारा वृत्तमावरणं स्त्रियः || ६-११४-२७
27. gR^ihaaNi = An apartment; na = is not; aavaraNam = a thing that protects; striyaaH = a woman; na = nor; vastraaNi = robes; na = nor; praakaaraaH = compound-walls; na = nor; tiraskR^iyaa = the concealments; na = nor; iidR^ishaaH = such; raaja satkaaraaH = royal honours; vR^ittam = Her character is her shield.
"An apartment is not a thing that protects a woman, nor robes, nor compound-walls, nor concealments nor such royal honours. Her character is her shield."
व्यसनेषु न कृच्छ्रेषु न युद्धे न स्वयं वरे |
न क्रतौ नो विवाहे च दर्शनं दुष्यते स्त्रियः || ६-११४-२८
28. stiyaaH = A woman; darshanam = becoming visible; vyasaneShu = in times of a clamity; na duuShyate = is not condemned; na = nor; kR^ichchheShu = in battles; svayamvare = in self-choosing of a husband by a princess at a public assemly of suitors; na = nor; kratua = in sacrificial ceremonies; na vaa = nor; vivaahe = in marriage functions.
"A woman becoming visible to public in times of a calamity is not condemned in difficult situations, nor in battles, nor in self-choosing of a husband by a princess at a public assembly of suitors, nor in sacrificial ceremonies nor in marriage-functions."
सैषा युद्धगता चैव कृच्छ्रे महति च स्थिता |
दर्शनेऽस्या न दोषः स्यान्मत्समीपे विशेषतः || ६-११४-२९
29. saa eShaa = the yonder Seetha; vipadgataa chaiva = is in distress; sthitaa = and beset; mahati = with a great; kR^ichchhre = difficulty; naasti = there is no; doShaH = fault; ayaaH darshane = in her becoming visible in public; visheShaataH = particularly; matsamiipe = in my presence.
"The younder Seetha is in distress and beset with a great difficulty. There is no fault in her appearance in public, particularly in my presence."
विसृज्य शिबिकां तस्मात्पद्भ्यामेवोपसर्पतु |
समीपे मम वैदेहीं पश्यन्त्वेते वनौकसः || ६-११४-३०
30. tasmaat = that is why; upasarpatu = let her come; padbhyaameva = on foot alone; utsR^ijya = leaving; shibikaam = the palanquin; vanaukasaH = let these monkeys; pashyantu = see; vaidehiim = Seetha; mama samiipe = in my presence.
"That is why, let her come on foot alone, leaving the palanquin there. Let these monkeys see Seetha in my presence."
एवमुक्तस्तु रामेण सविमर्शो विभीषणः |
रामस्योपानयत्सीतां संनिकर्षं विनीतवत् || ६-११४-३१
31. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; savimarshaH = the intelligent; vibhiiShaNah = Vibhishana; viniitavat = with decency; upaanayat samnikarSham siitaam = brought Seetha to the vicinity; raamasya = of Rama.
Hearing the words of Rama the intelligent Vibhishana, with decency, brought Seetha to Rama's vicinity.
ततो लक्ष्मणसुग्रीवौ हनूमांश्च प्लवङ्गमः |
निशम्य वाक्यं रामस्य बभूवुर्व्यथिता भृशम् || ६-११४-३२
32. nishamya = hearing; vaakyam = the words; raamasya = of Rama; lakShmaNa sugriivau = Lakshmana; Sugreeva; hanuumaamshcha = and Hanuma; plavangamaH = the monkey; tataH = then babhuuvuH = became; bR^isham = very much; vyatitau = perturbed.
Hearing the words of Rama, Lakshmana Sugreeva and Hanuma the monkey then felt very much perturbed.
कलत्रनिरपेक्षैश्च इङ्गितैरस्य दारुणैः |
अप्रीतमिव सीतायां तर्कयन्ति स्म राघवम् || ६-११४-३३
33. daaruNaiH iN^gitaiH = from the pitiless facial features; asya = of Rama; kalatra nirapekShaiH = showing indifference to his consort; tavkayanti sma = they conjectured; raaghavam iva = as if Rama; apriitam = had a displeasure; siitaayaam = towards Seetha.
From the pitiless facial features of Rama, showing indifference to his consort, they conjectured as if Rama had some displeasure towards Seetha.
लज्जया त्ववलीयन्ती स्वेषु गात्रेषु मैथिली |
विभीषणेनानुगता भर्तारं साभ्यवर्तत || ६-११४-३४
34. saa = that; maithilii = Seetha; for her part; avaliiyanti = shrinking; gaatreShu sveShu = into her limbs; lajjayaa = with modesty; abhyavartata = approached; bhartaaram = her husband; anugataa = followed; vibhiiShaNena = by Vibhishana.
Seetha, for her part, shrinking into her limbs with modesty, approached her husband, duly followed by Vibhishana.
विस्मयाच्च प्रहर्षाच्च स्नेहाच्च परिदेवता |
उदैक्षत मुखं भर्तुः सौम्यं सौम्यतरानना || ६-११४-३५
35. saumya taraananaa = the pleasant faced Seetha; patidevataa = who considered her husband as the divinity; udaikShata = saw; saumyam = the charming; mukham = face; bhartuH = of her husband; vismayaachcha = with a surprise; praharShaachcha = with a surprise; praharShaachcha = rejoice; snehaachcha = and affection.
The pleasant-faced Seetha, who considered her husband as the divinity, saw the charming face of her husband, with a surprise, rejoice and affection.
अथ समपनुदन्मनःक्लमं सा |
सुचिरमदृष्टमुदीक्ष्य वै प्रियस्य |
विमलशशाङ्कनिभानना तदासीत् || ६-११४-३६
36. atha = then; saa = that Seetha; vimala shashaaN^kanibhaananaa = with her face resembling the bright moon; tadaaniim = at that time; udiikShya = seeing; vadanam = the face; priyasya = of her beloved husband; adR^iShTam = which had not been seen; suchiram = for a long time; uditachandra puurNa kaantam = and which was charming like the rising full-moon; apanudat = and dispelled; manaH klamam = her mental fatigue.
Seeing the face of her beloved husband, which had not been seen for a long time and which was charming like the rising full moon, she forth dispelled her mental fatigue.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुर्दशाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
seetha and verse
uploaded by Go FTP FREE Software